Replies

• TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    Sunday Check in
    Calories: a little over but my carbs are at 20 net grams
    Water: over
    Exercise: 40 minute treadmill walk

Well, I went to a wedding yesterday and had more carbs than I've had in over a month. Weight was up a little this morning but I'm sure that's it's just water retention from the carbs. I've decided that starting today I am going 100% all in with low carb/Keto eating. I plan to keep my net carbs as close to 20 grams as I can. I'm going to do this for the next 8 weeks and hopefully become a fat burning machine! B) This will mean figuring out how to navigate a dinner party next Friday at my bosses house and three upcoming church events. But you know what that is life and I figure that I can stay the course for 8 weeks and just see what happens. I will then know if my body loves the Keto lifestyle or if it's just not for me. :)
  • KMD1214
    KMD1214 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Your body ( and mind) will LOVE that choice, Teresa!!! Do not give your personal power away to ‘situations’ (dinner parties and suppers). Give something to yourself: the knowledge that you matter more!!!!!!!!
  • KMD1214
    KMD1214 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    UTMom81 wrote: »
    KMD1214 wrote: »
    I am so inspired by everyone’s focus and tenacity!! I thought of you all while I was navigating my first real holiday challenges these past few days, and you inspired me not to give in!
    What I learned:
    1. There is ALWAYS an alternative to “the old way of eating!”
    —- a hot dog 🌭 tastes just as good
    (and easily slides thru the bun so you
    just eat the meat) at the fireworks!
    — a low carb, ice cold ‘hard’ seltzer was
    a nice treat while friends enjoyed beer
    —on a trip with a group who decided it
    was time to go out for pizza (my former
    FAVORITE), an appetizer-sized dish of
    Sausage and peppers plus a side salad
    was a perfect lower carb alternative
    (although the pizzas on the table looked
    delicious!)

Bottom line is that we need to cherish and celebrate ourselves!!! Happy holidays, all!!

Great job finding healthier options. That’s really what this is all about. Lifestyle changes each and every day. You did great!

Thank you!!!!!!!
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,117 Member
    Options
    HELLO ALL! Team WaistAways challenges all of F2F for Week 2:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10753411/week-2-challenge-from-team-waistaways-declutter-and-lose/p1?new=1

come on and check it out!
  • Kres567
    Kres567 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    apple852hk wrote: »
    Weigh in
    Apple852hk
    Week 1 - July 2019
    Sunday
    PW 162.6
    CW 164.02

Been a really disappointing week. Ate extra calories everyday and didn't eat healthy. I didn't put on too much weight considering how badly I ate.

Goal for next week is to eat more mindfully and healthier with no snacking.

Good for you for identifying some of the areas for your focus next week. That’s half the battle sometimes!
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    jugar wrote: »

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10753411/week-2-challenge-from-team-waistaways-declutter-and-lose/p1?new=1

I love this decluttering/letting go challenge! I am taking on creating breathing space in my home office, and have started by working on the paper clutter on my desk!

I am reminded of a column I read earlier today. It's by Dan Ariely, a professor who studies human decision making:
    Ask Ariely: On Late-night Raids... He's talking in this Wall Street Journal column about the importance of managing your environment:

Dear Dan,

Whenever I work the night shift, I wind up raiding the fridge—and ruining my diets one after the other. During the day, I manage to resist the temptation, but at night, my self-control seems to stop working. What should I do?

—Meni

What you describe is a well-known phenomenon called “depletion.” All day long, we face small temptations and do our best to resist them. We maintain control over ourselves so as to be productive, responsible people and stop ourselves from caving in to our urges to shop, procrastinate, watch that latest cat video on YouTube and so forth. But our ability to resist urges is like a muscle: The more we use it, the more tired we become—until at night, it just becomes too weak to stop us. (This is one reason the temptation industry—bars, strip clubs—operates mostly at night.) One way to overcome this problem is based on the story of Odysseus and the sirens. In this story Odysseus told his sailors to tie him to the mast as they sailed near the island of the sirens and not to untie the ropes under any circumstances so he couldn’t be tempted to jump into the water and swim toward the sirens’ seductive voices. The modern equivalent of this tactic? Keep all tempting things out of your house. You can hope that your future self will be able to resist temptation, buy the chocolate cake and eat just a sliver of it every other day. But the safer bet is not to keep chocolate cake in the fridge in the first place.
  • AustinRuadhain
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Thought for the day: ( Mika Brzezinski, on taking control of her attachment to sugary foods)
    “It’s been hard, but it feels so good. I don’t feel alone, and I don’t feel like I am denying myself. I feel like I’m giving myself something, which completely changes my relationship with the problem!”

This is such an excellent way to frame things. Last night, we had people over for Game Night. Lots of not-for-me foods. I actually ended up standing and talking to a friend who asked about what I had been doing, about how great it is not to have joint pain anymore now that I have lost so much weight. Skipping the foods that don't work for me is so worth feeling better. It took a long time to get to no pain and discomfort, and the delicious healthy salad I had instead of pizza really did feel like a present I was giving myself (though yes, the pizza did smell good).
  • AustinRuadhain
    Options
    Sunday July 6 - Check-in
    ✔️ Food: all logged, all good choices/on plan, calories on target, kept to my fasting window
    ✔️ Water: on target
    ✔️ Exercise: 50 min platform stepping, 10 min martial arts

Monday July 7 - Goals or Improvements
    Food: all logged, all good choices, calories on target, keep to my fasting window
    Water: on target/high
    Exercise: outdoor walk (45+ min) and/or martial arts class; martial arts practice at home
  • raleighgirl09
    raleighgirl09 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    raleighgirl09
    Weigh in day Friday
    current weight 218.2

Sunday Check-in of week 2 July (late checkin!)
    Food: all food logged, choices were higher cal/fat than plan - went to a beach party
    Water: # 6
    Exercise: a an hour paddle (found a cool hidden creek!)

Monday Goals
    Food: back to no more than 1330 cals per MFP
    Water: just keep doing it
    Exercise: lunchtime walk planned
    Goals or Improvements for tomorrow: drink more water, remember the good, be the good and encourage others on their journey
  • raleighgirl09
    raleighgirl09 Posts: 690 Member
    Options

I love this decluttering/letting go challenge! I am taking on creating breathing space in my home office, and have started by working on the paper clutter on my desk!

I am reminded of a column I read earlier today. It's by Dan Ariely, a professor who studies human decision making:
    Ask Ariely: On Late-night Raids... He's talking in this Wall Street Journal column about the importance of managing your environment:

Dear Dan,

Whenever I work the night shift, I wind up raiding the fridge—and ruining my diets one after the other. During the day, I manage to resist the temptation, but at night, my self-control seems to stop working. What should I do?

—Meni

What you describe is a well-known phenomenon called “depletion.” All day long, we face small temptations and do our best to resist them. We maintain control over ourselves so as to be productive, responsible people and stop ourselves from caving in to our urges to shop, procrastinate, watch that latest cat video on YouTube and so forth. But our ability to resist urges is like a muscle: The more we use it, the more tired we become—until at night, it just becomes too weak to stop us. (This is one reason the temptation industry—bars, strip clubs—operates mostly at night.) One way to overcome this problem is based on the story of Odysseus and the sirens. In this story Odysseus told his sailors to tie him to the mast as they sailed near the island of the sirens and not to untie the ropes under any circumstances so he couldn’t be tempted to jump into the water and swim toward the sirens’ seductive voices. The modern equivalent of this tactic? Keep all tempting things out of your house. You can hope that your future self will be able to resist temptation, buy the chocolate cake and eat just a sliver of it every other day. But the safer bet is not to keep chocolate cake in the fridge in the first place.

This is so true! I also have had to come to terms with the fact that no matter how many times I avoid temptation - it's never just easy to avoid the next time, even if it is the thousandth time. When I worked at a doctor's office, we had constant food brought to us, and very often doughnuts. When it was the most tempting for me, I would place a kitchen towel over the box, my co-workers just came to accept that I was going to do that for my sanity.
  • AustinRuadhain
    Options
    Username: AustinRuadhain
    Weigh in week: Week 2 of July
    Weigh in day: Monday
    Previous Weight: 123.5
    Today's Weight: 123.0

Coming to you straight from doing a round of porridge squats. Thinking of you, @Wishusdonna , and hoping this week goes well for you.
  • AustinRuadhain
    Options

Dear Dan,

—Meni

This is so true! I also have had to come to terms with the fact that no matter how many times I avoid temptation - it's never just easy to avoid the next time, even if it is the thousandth time. When I worked at a doctor's office, we had constant food brought to us, and very often doughnuts. When it was the most tempting for me, I would place a kitchen towel over the box, my co-workers just came to accept that I was going to do that for my sanity.

I gained so much weight the year I worked with a group where people brought in doughnuts almost every day. They got put on a table right next to my desk, and I could only last so long. These days I'd see about banishing them to a break room/area.
  • apple852hk
    apple852hk Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Today, I celebrated this morning’s weight, marking exactly 25 pounds lost. I gathered all ( and I mean ALL) of the clothing and jackets that are now swimmingly loose and delivered them to our local thrift shop. No more “just in case” clothes for this girl! (Lady.) (Okay, old lady.)

Congratulations on your progression and amazing lost.

Your reminder that I go on a scale even when I gained was so supportive. That mindset is what got you to this moment. Thanks for the inspiration
  • AustinRuadhain
    Options
    Today, I celebrated this morning’s weight, marking exactly 25 pounds lost. I gathered all ( and I mean ALL) of the clothing and jackets that are now swimmingly loose and delivered them to our local thrift shop. No more “just in case” clothes for this girl! (Lady.) (Okay, old lady.)

You are so SO inspiring! Congratulations on ditching the "safety net" clothes!
    78iz12wsot2y.gif
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,598 Member
    Options
    Your body ( and mind) will LOVE that choice, Teresa!!! Do not give your personal power away to ‘situations’ (dinner parties and suppers). Give something to yourself: the knowledge that you matter more!!!!!!!!

KMD, I like that, don't give your personal power away, I'm going to remember that!
  • Katmary71
    Options
    Thought for the day: ( Mika Brzezinski, on taking control of her attachment to sugary foods)
    “It’s been hard, but it feels so good. I don’t feel alone, and I don’t feel like I am denying myself. I feel like I’m giving myself something, which completely changes my relationship with the problem!”

This is such an excellent way to frame things. Last night, we had people over for Game Night. Lots of not-for-me foods. I actually ended up standing and talking to a friend who asked about what I had been doing, about how great it is not to have joint pain anymore now that I have lost so much weight. Skipping the foods that don't work for me is so worth feeling better. It took a long time to get to no pain and discomfort, and the delicious healthy salad I had instead of pizza really did feel like a present I was giving myself (though yes, the pizza did smell good).

Congratulations on the positive changes you've made in your life! Eating to feel better is so important, I was reminded of that recently and am working on getting back on track. It's wonderful that you're feeling less pain!
  • Katmary71
    Options

Yay, way to go! It feels so good to get rid of those clothes! Good riddance!
  • Katmary71
    Options
    Monday check-in
    Weight 137.8
    Think I was 137 last Monday
    Calories under
    Exercise recumbent bike

Scale is up, I'm trying not to care but of course I do. I'm having a health problem I've been trying to ignore and finally made an appointment to get things checked out. I have to see a male doctor, hate that for women health problems! They rushed to get me in so now I'm nervous, though there's nothing I can do about it that I'm not already doing. Planning on killin it in the gym today! Have a great day everyone!
  • AustinRuadhain
    edited July 2019
    Options
    @Katmary71 -
    Of course the number on the scale isn't the only thing, and of course you care anyway! Good for you for saying something, and not giving your personal power away to the number. I am quoting a couple of very wise people here!

As for the health thing - I am so sorry you are having an issue, and so glad you are going in to get checked. Maybe that trip to gym will help you work off the tension. Keep taking care of yourself. We'll be thinking of you!
This discussion has been closed.