Share Your Day

Replies

• BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,611 Member
    Home from NYC, what a great city 👍🏻, would go back there in a heartbeat. Much cleaner and fewer homeless than I expected - of course, I was in primarily tourist areas of Manhattan. Our hotel was 1/2 block from Times Square and yet somehow very quiet!
    Saw 2 Broadway shows - Lion King (unbelievable costumes and sets) + Book of Mormon (opening scene is hysterical).
    Walked lots. Weight up 9 lbs this morning but fully expect at least 5 lbs of that to just melt away 😆 🙏.
    Great trip! Happy to be home and prepared to buckle down again 😁.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 3,191 Member
    Welcome back home BC! I haven’t been to NYC in many years although we have in laws living in Manhattan. It was pretty awful back then. Might have to give it another try.

How was the cruise? I’m considering doing the New England/Canada cruise next September.

Amazing how that vacation weight piles up so quickly. 😳
  • BCLadybug888
    The cruise was great! 4 ports, 2 sea days. We sailed with Princess Cruiseline (1st time), on the Enchanted Princess which is the new Love Boat lol. Comparable to Celebrity or Holland America. Passengers and crew all very happy and friendly. Liked the new OceanNow service which is like room service, but anywhere on the ship - not just your cabin.

This is a good time of year to go, still nice and warm and sunny, but we were a couple weeks early for Fall colours - extended Summer season this year.

Lots of 13 colony/founding of America history which, even as Canadians, we enjoyed.

Happy to report down 1.5 lbs already 🙌
  • Yoolypr
    Sounds like a wonderful time BC! Photos?
  • BCLadybug888
    Sadly, I take very few photos. I generally suck as a photographer, 99/100 times (blurry, cut off tops of buildings, finger in the photo - seriously suck 😑)
    My daughter takes all the photos which means I am in rather more than I would like!
    Occasionally I insist I should take a picture of her, and she lines me up. Here she is in the lobby of the Empire State building. jda6asigsqe8.jpg
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,752 Member
    Guess who is buying Metallica tickets today?

I wanted to see them at Lane Stadium (my husband graduated from Virginia Tech and the football team use Enter Sandman as their play in song since forever) but it's on a Wednesday night, 7.5hrs drive away. So Nashville (1:45 to the stadium) on a Saturday it is!
  • Yoolypr
    edited September 23
    BC - Love that photo. I hope you got to the observation deck at the top and the weather allowed for a great view.

Nic- Mettalica huh? Way before my time. Get a t-shirt and dance your pants off!!!

Got my flu shot and new covid booster today. Only the flu arm is a bit sore right now. Generally I haven’t had any post vaccine symptoms in the past so I’m good to go.
  • BCLadybug888
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    BC - Love that photo. I hope you got to the observation deck at the top and the weather allowed for a great view.

Nic- Mettalica huh? Way before my time. Get a t-shirt and dance your pants off!!!

Got my flu shot and new covid booster today. Only the flu arm is a bit sore right now. Generally I haven’t had any post vaccine symptoms in the past so I’m good to go.

We did go up to the observation deck, beautiful clear day, fantastic views!

I asked about shots yesterday and pharmacist said they expect 'flu and Covid boosters mid-October in my area.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 1,417 Member
    Iconic picture BC!

Metallica, how fun, enjoy Nic

Yooly, surprised they had you get a covid booster so soon after. We will be getting flu soon, I always hope before we get sick. It's that time again, people already snarfling around here.

Now to get things wrapped up before weather turns. Leaves are still mostly green, fall weather arriving late.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,761 Member
    Oh I miss you all and my regular life and Starting to feel a bit homesick.

I’m much stronger than I was when I left though I don’t believe I’ve lost weight thanks to all the ridiculously easy to eat tasty high carb foods all around me 😁 Every store sells home baked Newfoundland style white bread 😂

I’m close to finished. Way behind time. I had an appointment with the eye surgeon for October 3 that I’m going to have to rebook because I’m not gonna make it home in time for that. I was considering flying there and flying back just for the appointment but there are no cheap flights. It’ll be at least $1000 return - much more than the $200 I was willing to spend.

It’s been such an experience.

Can’t even think of leaving my grandson behind without crying… Like I am right now. But it’s been an unforgettable summer with him.

PAV Is close, With his beautiful CCCG, I can feel their good vibrations, but not close enough for me to actually see them.

I really hope to be back in the weight loss saddle come November… I can’t believe it’s so close.

It’s been wonderful catching up on everyone’s travels and journeys and successes.

Bella - it made me so sad to read about your experience with MIL. You’ve written about her in the past and she sounded like such a fierce strong character… I guess it doesn’t matter something still gets you … Though it must be so hard for you I’m kind of happy to think of her still being herself as she leaves this dimension. Doing things her own way. Fiercely. Determined. Please take care of yourself.

I’m not gonna proofread this post or I’ll never ever ever send it. Sending you all lots of love from the newfound land.

XOXO
  • lauriekallis
    I bought a used hood range yesterday I had to pick it up from the town about 20 minutes away. On the way home we (pup and I) stopped at a beach For a walk and then we decided to take an alternate route back … Mainly because I didn’t really feel like working yet. Google offered me a gravel road option that ran alongside the coast. It seemed like a good idea until about halfway through when it felt more like I was off Roading. This is where it started to feel a bit unnerving… I was too afraid to back out because there were a lot of curves and a crazy incline to deal with. I didn’t take any pictures for a while after that because some of the gravel was about the size of a small chicken after this point.
  • lauriekallis
    I forgot the picture …
  • lauriekallis
    The 20 minute trip back took about three hours - But it was pretty exciting and includedbrp41rdryvuc.jpeg
    a couple of nice walks.
  • Yoolypr
    Ah Laurie- never trust the Google alternatives! But I’m sure after you recovered from the cold sweat and fear, the view was lovely. Bet you don’t do that again.

Don’t know about rebooking doctor appointments in Canada. If I dare do that here it’s months before another appointment. Unless you’re bleeding, unconscious, can’t breathe or shot, ain’t no way you can get any one to see you. So even though you will miss your boy, you must care for yourself. Besides now you have a place and reason to return to Newfoundland.

As to getting a covid booster soon after having Covid - well I just went ahead and got the booster cause we have a couple more trips/visitors coming up. Better safe than sorry I guess.
  • lauriekallis
    edited September 24
    And you feel fine with the booster soon after having Covid?

I wasn’t sure about that myself.

I’m not staying longer because of the boy I’m staying longer because I have about two more weeks of work to do and I’m waiting for an electrician to get in here and he’s been dragging his feet. I’ve been waiting since last August for this appointment so I can wait longer. It’ll be at least another year before I have the surgery - time Doesn’t seem to be of the essence.

I have found someone to rent the house! The brother of neighbours across the street who are absolutely amazing people. He’s building a new place and things are running behind so he needs a place for two or more months. Perfect For me because I haven’t got anything else arranged yet and I have a mortgage to pay. But I feel obliged to get things finished up for him 😁
  • Yoolypr
    Yes - had the Covid and flu shot yesterday. One in each arm. A little soreness, muscle ache, and headache. I had Covid pretty bad at the end of August. But the guidelines for my age group is to get the booster as soon as my Covid symptoms resolved. It’s been a month so I went for it. I’ll be traveling again and in contact with a variety of germy folks!

The vaccine just makes symptoms milder - doesn’t offer a guarantee of not getting it. I’ve had flu after flu vaccine too.

Laurie- you might need to get out of Newfoundland before the snow flies. As I recall when living next to New Brunswick, it was common to have substantial snow by mid/late October. Hope the electrician shows up or has a snow plow to get you out.
  • lauriekallis
    edited September 24
    I think winters are milder and shorter here than they were a while back. I should be OK so long as I’m on the road before November.

Or so they’re telling me 🙂

• Yoolypr
    I think winters are miles are here than they were a while back. I should be OK so long as I’m on the road before November.

Or so they’re telling me 🙂

Can’t trust the weatherman! I should know - been married to a professional weatherman for 50 years. 😂
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 1,417 Member
    :D
  • BCLadybug888
    I have had a few hairy 'alternate route' adventures myself! Even before google and GPS, I liked exploring and taking the road less travelled...

My daughter though absolutely relies in her GPS, has no sense of direction whatsoever 🙄 - last March we went to the interior of our province to a nice spa resort, and on the way back planned to take a slightly longer route through the Okanagan...well, who knows what parameters she must've put in (no highways? No speeds above 60k/40mph?) But we ended up going over a ski hill on a gravel forestry road...and in a blizzard...was alternately exhilarating and terrifying, but very beautiful 🫣
    Laurie's trip took me right back there!

That's great you found a tenant 😊