Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Share Your Day

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,131 Member
    Awesome new all-around

Floating mall! I'm sure has $olution! 😎
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 3,168 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Floating mall! I'm sure has $olution! 😎

Nope - I refuse to buy clothes or underwear in cruise ship shops. Besides the only underwear there seems to be of the lacy honeymoon or “I hope to get lucky” type. I just wanted coverage!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,754 Member
    Hello all you wonderful losers.
    I’m still in Newfoundland everything is taking so much longer than I expected… Many challenges…MANY CHALLENGES!

I had running water and a toilet at the same time for a couple of days but I messed that up when I installed the bathroom sink tonight and five of my Six connections leak. 😭

I’m running on data only here thank God my plan is unlimited but the signal here is so poor that I rarely have good good connection… In some ways it’s really nice.

The boy is spending a lot of time with me and that has been wonderful!

We have a bath every day at the nearby Lady Lake

Newfoundland is pretty wonderful…

How far east are you coming in September, PAV

If I get the Plumbing and electricity sorted out by then and you make it this far you have to visit! You’re welcome to come even if there is no water spotty electricity but it might not be as much fun - depending of course on what you consider fun 😂
  • Yoolypr
    Laurie!!!!! I feared you’d left us!

So happy to know you’re okay and having a good visit with your boy. The plumbing and electrical problems not so much. I hope you get it all sorted out before the snow flies in Newfoundland- which can’t be that far off? I’m sure you’re seeing signs of fall weather by now.

Are you considering a permanent move to Newfoundland?
  • PAV8888
    edited August 22
    EEEEK LAURIE!!!!! (and different eeek for cloudflare)
    LAURIE IS AWESOME!!!!
    You GO LAURIE!!!!

We are heading towards you in THREE WEEKS. Getting there for the weekend of the 14th and leaving the weekend of the 28th.

Hitting Halifax.... SAINT JOHN (New Brunswick)... Moncton. Considered PEI but decided to go for three days around Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail instead before spending the last two nights back in Halifax. Might still cross the confederation bridge.

I was a bit surprised I admit as to how much of a drive it would be from Port aux Basques. Looks like a solid 12+ hours EACH WAY on top of the 7 hours EACH WAY crossing! Pretty much tripling our total driving distance!!! The long ferry crossing would be a full day's travel each way too at 16 hours per crossing. Plus an hour and a bit driving on top.

Realistically, until retirement St John's looks to me like a flying destination given the time and distances. Which did surprise me (it shouldn't have but it did!)

I've inked our itinerary on the map! Black is the main planed router (with optional routes in maroon for either more scenic/slower options, or for crossing the confederation bridge into Price Edward Island just so that we can hit three provinces instead of just two!

Lime would be the "short" 7 hours ferry to Newfoundland (followed by a 12+ hour drive to Laurie) and magenta the long ferry at 16 hours with a short drive to Laurie. And don't forget the ferry and gas costs!

You're definitely on the east side of the east coast Laurie!!!! It's an awesome project you've got there with the kiddo! Is the puppy getting any happy time? You will get your plumbing plumb before we know it!

I still need to book the car and the hotels for the 5 last days... and hope the girl reads up on excursions!

EEEEK. Trip put togethering is painful!!!

The maps are going to be incredibly hard to see but basically that long ferry trip is as long or longer than the whole of Nova Scotia!

9ncxok94nqlm.png
  • Yoolypr
    PAV - Do see the tides in the Bay of Fundy. Awesome!

And if you can, go to Magnetic Hill outside Moncton. There’s a small charge I think but it’s an interesting optical illusion. As you drive the road it feels / looks like you’re rolling uphill.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,754 Member
    Cape Breton is extraordinary! It’s like a miniature Newfoundland
  • Yoolypr
    What Laurie said!

The Magnetic Hill is just a 15 minute thing if you happen to be passing it. Peggy’s Cove lighthouse is lovely near Halifax. But then we were there before it became cruise ship excursion so could be overrun. Sydney on Cape Breton is a cruise stop too so you may want to check dates and read reviews.

The dates you’ll be in the maritimes are peak leafpeeper season. Lots of sad southerns hoping to cool off and actually see the season changing. It is beautiful though. However with a bit of online research you can probably avoid the unwashed cruise masses!
  • PAV8888
    edited August 24
    Sydney would have been for a Laurie side trip. But too too long of a trip to add to the itinerary if going to St. John's by car/boat.

My very first plan was arriving in St John and driving from there around NF and NS. But for whatever reason GG keyed into Nova Scotia more so than NF. I think that there is an extra 5-7 hour of air travel mainly because of the connections. Car rental is a LOT cheaper from St. John. Oh well: Laurie's B&B was not -YET- in contention.

BTW: Laurie: are you getting into Hamilton before mid October? By the sounds of it it doesn't sound that you are, right? Because someone else is going on vacation too! And she will be visiting hamilton (turkey point)

Everything else mentioned about NS and NB is on the "schedule"! We're (currently) planning two halifax, two lunenburg, two Saint John NB, three moncton, three cape breton/cabot trail, and two halifax. BUT. we are actually trying to squeeze in crossing over the confederation bridge visiting charlottetown and taking the ferry from PEI to NS.

That means another hotel stop and probably changing the one night from moncton or shortening the cabot trail drive/look see. We were only thinking cabot trail for cape breton... not even going at all in the direction of sydney.

Too much to plan and too many other things happening leading to very imperfect and slow planning! And you're scaring me about leaf-peepers because that means that hotels will be full (and they seem to be!) :)

And no denigrating of the cruise masses!... at least the planning is (substantially) done... if you're willing to put up with the sales steering and sales pitching! (or is that a misinformed impression?)
  • Yoolypr
    And no denigrating of the cruise masses!... at least the planning is (substantially) done... if you're willing to put up with the sales steering and sales pitching! (or is that a misinformed impression?)

I tend to view the cruise ship as a convenient floating hotel and transportation. We do our homework for each port and generally set off on our own. Hate the “excursions”. And avoid crowds and tour buses if possible. Nope to sales pitches!
  • PAV8888
    Wow! a brave Yooly! Then you have to make sure you're back on time... and that you've packed your medication and have your papers with you! At least that's what I'm told!!!! :wink:
  • Yoolypr
    Always have the name and number of the port agent at each stop. That’s the person who can get you back in case of disaster. We plan to be back at least two hours before the ship leaves anyway.
    We are usually off the ship very early which makes for less crowded experiences too. And Uber access!

It does make the ship people crazy when we don’t take their overpriced jaunts! We spend the money on a really nice room with concierge services though.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 1,355 Member
    I enjoy independent wanders so much more than the guided too.
  • PAV8888
    edited August 26
    Ha! The nice room is good but how do you combine the concierge service with avoidance of "canned" (and time wasting in some respects, but queue jumping in other situations) excursions?
  • Yoolypr
    Ha! The nice room is good but how do you combine the concierge service with avoidance of "canned" (and time wasting in some respects, but queue jumping in other situations) excursions?

Concierge is there to assist me and answer questions. No selling/time wasting/excursions involved. Also we get some priority seating for shows and a secret exit elevator to get off ship.
  • Yoolypr
    Our house guests are getting prepared for an early departure. While it’s lovely to reconnect, I just feel frazzled. Good to see them but ready to let them go….

Hoping to rest up because we’re off to Alaska in 10 days.
  • PAV8888
    I'll have to hit you up on your cruising secrets... in a few years :wink:
  • Yoolypr
    I'll have to hit you up on your cruising secrets... in a few years :wink:

No secrets to cruising. Just know what you want from the experience.

My houseguests left this morning. I plan on being a couch potato all day. It’s my 77th birthday so I think I'm entitled to indulge in abject laziness in celebration.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 1,355 Member
    Oooh, yes!!!

Happy Birthday Yooly
    -- want i should sing you the song, wildly off-key??? Lol

bdeeswhg7am3.jpg

My dream cake, grins
    6xo3hs821fl7.jpg
  • PAV8888
    Wait, wait, what? Hey: happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Yooly, happy birthday to you! 💐😘