Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Share Your Day

Replies

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 3,168 Member
    edited July 19
    Well it’s another 1-1/2 months. Hope they iron things out. I’m hoping to at least get off the ship in Victoria at the docks if only for a few hours. We aren’t planning to venture into town or miss the ship.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,131 Member
    Well... .if you missed it in Victoria the rule wouldn't apply anyway :wink:
  • Yoolypr
    As long as Norwegian pays the penalty it’s all good with me. If I miss the boat in Victoria - it’s not that far from Vancouver….
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,734 Member
    Yesterday I got off work at 8am, packed and did some cleaning, then we headed out for Nashville at 11:15 or so. Got to our daughter's place just after 1, free parking! We did have to Uber to the airport. Got intimately patted down by TSA, hooray! Flight was 4hrs and uneventful. Nodded off just long enough to get a horrid crick in my neck. Landed at the Edmonton airport just after 7pm. Customs and luggage was smooth sailing. My dad picked us up and we made the 45 minute drive back to my parents' place. We had some dinner, hung out a couple hours with my parents and sister and bil and neices and nephew. Finally collapsed into sleep around 11:30pm, 33hrs or so after I first woke up Wednesday, lol.
  • Yoolypr
    Enjoy the cool in Canada 🇨🇦
  • nicsflyingcircus
    It's in the mid 30s Celcius here right now, lol.
  • PAV8888
    Nic!
    That's one long trip to get to..... Edmonton!
    Have fun with the family!

Yooly! If you get stuck we will rescue you! In any case the surcharge wouldn't apply as you would have MORE than made your stop in a foreign port/country!
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 4,318 Member
    Hi all. I'll be stepping away from the group for a while....MIL's cancer has mutated into large cell lymphoma, so she's very unwell and requiring lots and lots of physical care and emotional support. I have very limited free time so I have to strictly limit my time online. I promise I'll be back once my time is my own again, but it may not be this side of Christmas....I'm back at the top end of my maintenance zone now, so I'll try my best to stay there!
  • Yoolypr
    So sorry Bella! You’ll be sorely missed. Don’t forget us. In the meantime please know we’re thinking of you. Caregiving is so hard - do take care of yourself too.
  • Yoolypr
    PAV - Finally found the story about the NRG passengers getting fined. They didn’t get back to the ship on time as all are repeatedly warned. But some of that was out of their control. Hubby is a fanatic about schedules. So hopefully I won’t be calling you for rescue. Besides you’ll be charming the lovely CCCGG then.
  • PAV8888
    By the looks of it they were on an "authorized" excursion so the company is NOT trying to "ditch" responsibility (given that they offered compensation -- albeit by the sounds of it NOT particularly compelling in terms of what MY expectations would have been)

My "fascination" with the issue was that I initially thought that the cause of the "weirdly timed" Victoria port call in your itinerary was the result of some obscure Canadian Maritime regulation forcing you into a token Canadian port visit--and the choice of port and timing was the corresponding "malicious compliance" by the cruise ship company.

To my surprise it turns out that it is a US regulation and the malicious compliance is in order to avoid the almost $1000 per passenger charge that would be levied should the ship not "touch" a foreign port.

All around a bit lame because TBH it's a waste of everyone's time when you guys don't even get out to visit Victoria for a few hours! I mean Victoria is not New York :lol: but it has certainly got more than enough going for it to be able to provide a half day's worth of entertainment to out of town visitors!!!! So from a "proud Canadian", I guess, perspective it's a bit lame that they are forcing the stop to avoid a domestic fine and, at the same time, not really allowing you guys to benefit from it.

Oh well. Trying to figure out how/where we should go with CCCGG.....
  • PAV8888
    Bella I am so sorry for you going through this and for Kim too.

I won't say silly things like stiff upper lips but I *will* say that you MUST take care of yourself in there too.

You can't really fix her. So in trying to help her, which is all you can do, don't get to the point where YOU need to get too much fixing afterwards!!!
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 1,355 Member
    @Bella_Figura ((hugs)) tuff stuff there, but profoundly important. Do take care...
  • Adventurista
    edited July 21
    Mutters about rules, regs and utter absurdities... i did manage to carry back perfume and champage from France without breakage back in the day... it was interesting at borders/customs, i didn't mind really.

What was shocking and disturbed me were armed soldiers and on demands for papers throughout Europe. Was used to crossings between US and Mexico or US and Canada, relatively easy and relaxed except between Oregon into California had to turn over my oranges. Was NOT happy about that whatsoever, lol :D
  • Yoolypr
    I think some of the short stops on the Alaska cruises are due to the local people -Canadians and Alaskans- being overrun by masses of tourists. Some ports disgorge 3-4 giant ships on to the local population. Ports in Barcelona and Venice are also fighting back.

Can’t say I blame them. I’m more about leisurely exploration than organized excursions. I try to do some homework before getting off the ship. Pick one or two things I really want to see and use the rest of the time to pretend I’m a local. Ubers, local metro buses etc. to get around and of course, making sure to get back before sail time.
  • Adventurista
    edited July 22
    Yep, agree, browsing is funner.

Glad you're home safe and sound :)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    So as part of our trip we're spending a couple nights at an Air BnB outside Hinton, with the plan to day trip into the national park and the town of Jasper tomorrow.

Jasper is now being evacuated due to fire and the highway is closed from just west of Hinton. Which also means we will not be having dinner at the super cool brewery just outside the park entrance tomorrow.

We will make the best of it, find some cool hiking trails and stuff in the Hinton area and keep an eye on things and wish the best for all the residents and campers who are evacuating right now.
  • PAV8888
    I'm so sorry you're missing out on Jasper Nic. But even sorrier to find out how many fires are burning in the area.
  • Adventurista
    Stay safe!
    -- fires are out of control so many places...
  • Yoolypr
    Went to Costco today. Way too many snack ladies! I was forced to sample a thing or two or three ……..