Thoughts, Epiphanies, Insights, & Quotables

Replies

• Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 1,441 Member
    9y0omnki903z.jpg

It was, after i adjusted my thinking perspective after your comment...
    -- and what is to note, any other day I would have been emotionally satisfied, if i hadn't been diverted from the traditional holiday feast going on at the time.

Better now, for sure
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Much to ponder!

I have to stay far away from 'deprivation' thinking, I cannot set aggressive goals or I will work against myself. I feel like I'm a split personality at times, one voice is mockingly rational about the excess calories I have obviously consumed, and wants me to get on with it - the other jealously guards every calorie and counts every 'sacrifice' and feels entitled to splurge, particularly around holidays and such because come on! What kind of martyr and slave to numbers have I become/do I want to be...Coupled with the 'no fair' background noise and occasional bouts of '*#%! it' impulse brought on by my slow pace of loss...it's a constant mental battle. For me.

On the flip side, I am eating better than I have ever - more variety and healthful, for sure - but being a foodie, indeed indulging being a foodie, I sometimes wonder if it's the best way to go for weightloss.
    All that cooking, shopping, measuring, planning and recipe hunting keeps me very food obsessed. But little by little I feel the tide is turning in my favour, appetite-wise, and many snack foods have largely (but not entirely) lost their appeal.

Certainly keeping my fridge and cupboards well stocked with healthy and more healthful alternatives has been my coping mechanism, but it does mean I risk bingeing on those 'more healthful but still snack food' that are on hand at any moment. They have to be pleasing enough, but not too tempting?? Tightrope. 🤔
  • Adventurista
    edited July 8
    @BCLadybug888 nods, you have just spoke my thought jumbles.... that push pull between control and focusing on beautiful foods... i almost think of it as whispering... more effective for me than white knuckling.

Issue: Over the years, have dealt with (medical especially) people who look at me like i'm an alien irl when i try to express any of this complex tangled problem blcladybugg888 expressed when the medical person expects me to just lose weight, exercise, take meds and control food (thinking of medical situations). Don't understand why i struggle, then consider me non-compliant and or show non-verbal disdain...

They ask a simple question. If i try to give a sincere reply, the reply is the complex jumble. Weirdly, i get better interactions if i nod, smile, say ok.

I hope, someday, there is recognition that all this deserves compassionate support.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 3,158 Member
    I am no where near ideal weight but have lost over 100 pounds over time. So I’m in the range of an overweight old lady. It’s amazing how much more responsive and respectful physicians are now. In the past, I often couldn’t get medical folks to listen because it seemed obvious to them that every symptom was weight related.
    I put up with the same dismissive doctor for years. Finally I had enough and I found a new doctor who worked with me on losing weight. She’s a gem! Convinced hubby to switch to her too.
  • Adventurista
    Ty Yoolypr. I am glad you found a helpful, positive doc!

Words just can't express how pervasive and insidious it is. To make matters worse, discussion and problem unrecognized/acknowledged and outright dismissed... even by people in same boat.

replies range... oh, i don't have that problem, i haven't seen it or turned back on themself with self-denigrating self-criticism... can't help myself, don't know what's wrong with me equating to i'm so bad, leads to vicious guilt remorse cycle.

Just gets internalized, almost as if we pick up where others leave off... and so widespread from strangers, acquaintances, family/friends, workplace, social, trusted professionals...

It takes an act of self-courage to counteract/negate it within our own self-talk, and strength to address it with anyone... almost similar to standing up against any discrimination or bully situation... stand up for understanding, change the situation, walk away or suffer continued contact as change or walking away is not always possible...

but we can always change it within our own self-talk and refuse to accept the guilt, shame or remorse.

• Yoolypr
    Soon it will be a year since my flu, Covid and RSV shots. I was hoping to get vaccinated prior to our trip to Alaska in September. But apparently nothing will be available in time. Lots of handwashing???
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,121 Member
    What they can't shoot you?!?!?!! :neutral:
  • Yoolypr
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    What they can't shoot you?!?!?!! :neutral:

Current Covid shots are out of production. That’s because the pharmas are concentrating on making the new formula based on the new mutation of Covid. That’s set for release in late September. Same with flu shots. If I could find sources of the last year’s vaccines, it would not be the formula for new expected strains. And then I would have to delay getting the updated versions for at least 4-6 months.

The RSV is a toss up - need to check with doc to see if another shot is actually necessary.
  • Adventurista
    edited July 11
    What about new pneumonia shot they give even if previous/old shot happened?

Have heard of increased covid, but think main flu season is late fall/winter?
    I'd do same things as avoiding cold flues. Don't sit next to or eat with people who show symptoms, wash hands, don't touch face, don't be too afraid and enjoy.
  • Yoolypr
    Well avoidance is a problem. There will be airports, long flights, cruise ship…. So yeah- lots of sanitizer and hand washing.
  • BCLadybug888
    Stole this from another thread:
    qvme3juqiwlh.png

Love it!
  • PAV8888
    UGH.

<rant that has to do with the world the universe and the time it takes to produce things... as if I don't already know they are doing it as fast as they can>

Why don't they have it ready for September? We wait for back to school, most vacations (including Yooly's and probably mine just like last year), we go past Canadian Thanksgiving... and then they happily announce: it's here, come and get it... after everyone's already gotten sick!
  • Yoolypr
    Ain’t that the truth BClady! Always makes me crazy when people ask for my “secret” to weight loss. There’s great disappointment when I say just eat less. 🥺
    "PAV8888 wrote: »

Why don't they have it ready for September!

Schools down here start mid August. Definitely a breeding ground for germs. 🦠
  • Yoolypr
    Anybody heard from Laurie or Ms. Tea? I’m kind of worried about their long silence. Hope they’re okay 🙏
  • PAV8888
    Ms Tea... I wonder about. Ms Laurie we haven't heard much but then again she has a whole WHACK LOAD of work to do if my general sense antennae are tracking right! So her laying low is not completely unexpected. But Ms Tea?
  • Yoolypr
    Still missing our Laurie! And concerned about Ms. Tea. Been very quiet around here lately. 🥺
  • Adventurista
    :o dunno
  • BCLadybug888
    edited July 28
    I am off on vacation for 10 days, going a few hours away by car to a lake. With wifi lol. So I will be around.

Looking forward to hearing about Laurie's adventures!
  • Yoolypr
    I am off on vacation for 10 days, going a few hours away by car to a lake. With wifi lol. So I will be around.

Looking forward to hearing about Laurie's adventures!

Thanks for checking in. I was starting to hear crickets 🦗 here! Everyone is busy or vacationing.
  • Yoolypr
    Ok - now I’m officially concerned about PAV too. 🦗🦗🦗🦗🦗