Non Scale Victories

Replies

• gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    emmyjaykay wrote: »
    Tonight is going to be one of those rare occasions @bmeadows380 mentioned for me. My partner and I remembered a little milestone last night and decided to takeout from one of the best restaurants in my city which also happens to be an artisan pizza shop and watch a date night movie to celebrate. I've unintentionally banked one to three hundred calories a day since I had a pretty light/not hungry week and was already planning on a pretty hefty workout today, even without the pizza, so I'm somewhat shockingly not feeling weird about it. As someone who has heavily restricted in the past, letting myself live my life and enjoy celebrations while still working towards my goals is a huge mental win.

You can’t live your life restricted. That’s how we fail. Sometimes you have to eat that pizza (or fish sandwich and custard for me). As long as it fits then it’s good! It’s when we get all rigid that we fail. Life is still life. Sometimes you can have your cake. And sometimes you need to eat it too!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    gewel321 wrote: »
    Tonight is going to be one of those rare occasions @bmeadows380 mentioned for me. My partner and I remembered a little milestone last night and decided to takeout from one of the best restaurants in my city which also happens to be an artisan pizza shop and watch a date night movie to celebrate. I've unintentionally banked one to three hundred calories a day since I had a pretty light/not hungry week and was already planning on a pretty hefty workout today, even without the pizza, so I'm somewhat shockingly not feeling weird about it. As someone who has heavily restricted in the past, letting myself live my life and enjoy celebrations while still working towards my goals is a huge mental win.

You can’t live your life restricted. That’s how we fail. Sometimes you have to eat that pizza (or fish sandwich and custard for me). As long as it fits then it’s good! It’s when we get all rigid that we fail. Life is still life. Sometimes you can have your cake. And sometimes you need to eat it too!

yup! So sometimes its a victory to resist but sometimes its better to enjoy it and move on :)
  • Ccricfo
    Ccricfo Posts: 156 Member
    @jewel_1213 Great job on overcoming that temptation. I know sometimes it feels like I'm tossing a coin because I really don't know what I'm going to do when I'm in that situation...that's why it is so important toshareour victories with others as well as our setbacks....you should be proud of yourself!
  • jodibeth5744
    jodibeth5744 Posts: 65 Member
    @AlexandraFindsHerself1971 We must be twins! I am waiting for the closing on my house-the entire thing needs to be painted...and just broke my foot this week! What terrible timing. Best of luck!!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Now that the contractors have been paid off and left, I have some touch-up painting to do. I think I'm going to wait a week or so and let myself heal.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

Some people can probably live heavily restricted (food-wise) but I think they are very rare and probably would not gain enough to qualify for this group.

I firmly believe that the main reason I have lost so much is because I knew when to take my foot off the gas. My overly strict ways in the past always led to failure. By being kinder to myself and allowing more food on special occasions, holidays, vacations, and sometimes just for fun days it made it all more sustainable.

The occasional day(s) of more food is the life I want to live when the weight is gone. I have said it often, I do not want to be sitting in the corner at Thanksgiving eating celery sticks. I know that my vision of maintenance will likely involve some small deficit periods to offset higher calorie days. I can't speak for future me but present me doesn't see a problem with that plan.
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    That is awesome!! Count me in as a fast food talker outer. It used to be soo easy to stop and pick something up on the way home from work. After a long and usually stressful day who wants to cook.

• bmeadows380
    I still stop a lot for fast food, but I've learned to lighten up my choices. For instance: I stop by Arby's most evenings (well, back before Covid and before work at home started) but what I do is get a single turkey slider without the cheese, which is only 160 calories. If I pitch the top of the bun, that gets it down to 70 calories. For me, that's worth it - I indulge the "I want it" side a little and actually get it to compromise with me :)
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    I have found that Arby’s has some good choices. At most places I can find something that isn’t too bad and will fit in my calories. This particular fast food place is a special occasion since it isn’t close to me. I am going to Missouri tomorrow but going to do my best to will myself not to stop again. We shall see how it goes tomorrow. Today was an empty day where it didn’t matter what I ate I was still hungry.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I have found that Arby’s has some good choices. At most places I can find something that isn’t too bad and will fit in my calories. This particular fast food place is a special occasion since it isn’t close to me. I am going to Missouri tomorrow but going to do my best to will myself not to stop again. We shall see how it goes tomorrow. Today was an empty day where it didn’t matter what I ate I was still hungry.

Wendy’s has some good choices,too...I am not a big fast food fan...the grease sets me off...don’t get me wrong, I used to make regular drive thrus but fast food is really not a big deal for me....I like restaurants!..be safe on your trip!
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Is Panda express considered fast food? One of the last times I tried to lose weight I cut out all fast food. (I can't go to a fast food place and pare down a meal, when I go I go big.)

My definition of fast food was anything with a drive thru...Of course I had a loop hole, one of my favorite sub shops had one location without a drive thru....I could go there (only that location) when I had the urge. It was about 20 minutes from my house so it was far enough to dissuade me from going to often.

Now a days nothing is off limits, fast food isn't an everyday thing anymore but I'm still going big, just fitting it in.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I used to love Arby's. I haven't been "feeling" their food for quite some time now. I am not sure why. Maybe it is a phase.

Fast food is an interesting category. The term "fast food" is often said with an air of judgement. It is not always undeserved because you can get food from there that has been sitting around far too long. But normally their food is just food. There are certain places I will not go depending on the hour of day. Hardees is, for me, breakfast or lunch AT lunch time only. They do such light traffic most of the rest of the day that it is almost always just 2 or 3 people working and the quality suffers.

I pick my Panda Express moments carefully. They and all food like it almost always equals 5 pounds of water weight gain for me even if I am already up that much or more. If it was just that it wouldn't be an issue some of the time but when it forces me to 8+ pounds of total water weight and I whoosh it back out, it takes electrolytes with it and it can make me feel bad.

For me the reason to keep my fast food restaurant visits down is because their food is high calorie for low satiety, at least for me. I had taco bell yesterday and I ended up sacrificing half of my deficit for the day to keep my hunger in check. I knew that would likely happen when I got it and I was prepared for that eventuality but it is just not something I would do often. If they offered more vegetables it would be less of a problem. I never eat salads from them anymore because something about them makes me need to visit a restroom nearly immediately and almost always urgently.
  • bmeadows380
    Taco bell chicken soft tacos fresca style are another snack for me, but yeah, taco bell isn't very satiating at all. And they quit selling salads all together so there are no sides at all at taco bell that I'll get. I can get a burrito down to under 300 calories there, so when I'm in the mood for it and have the extra calories, I'll go.

Hardees here is the same way, especially the one in the nearest town to me. I can't do well there, though - the only thing Hardees has that I can fit in is their 3 piece chicken tenders; they do have the best calorie counts on tenders than anyone else.

And I'm peeved at McDonald's right now because they've tightened up their menu and now do not have any salads at all and no grilled chicken, so I refuse to go to McDonald's except for a very very rare occasion until they get their grilled chicken back!

Wendy's is a big go to place for me along with Arby's. Wendy's has a great line of salads that you can customize and get the calorie counts way down, and a small chili is under 200 calories if you limit the crackers. I can customize down their grilled chicken sandwich to around 250 calories just by taking the sauce off and asking for a regular bun instead of the artisan one.

So yeah, I'm fitting "fast" food into my menu fairly often :) Though since the better Arby's in the area is still drive through only, "fast" is definitely relative.......
  • jodibeth5744
    jodibeth5744 Posts: 65 Member
    @bmeadows380 Interesting about the salads...I don’t eat out right now because I’m just too fraidy cat of the virus and the reliability of the people prepping the food. That being said, I eat 95% plant based and have noticed that all the produce I get has been rotting really fast-especially the lettuce-it’s getting these weird brown liquidy spots in it a day or two after buying it. I started wondering if produce is not as safe? Or if perhaps is being sprayed with more chemicals? So your comment spiked my curiosity.
  • bmeadows380
    @bmeadows380 Interesting about the salads...I don’t eat out right now because I’m just too fraidy cat of the virus and the reliability of the people prepping the food. That being said, I eat 95% plant based and have noticed that all the produce I get has been rotting really fast-especially the lettuce-it’s getting these weird brown liquidy spots in it a day or two after buying it. I started wondering if produce is not as safe? Or if perhaps is being sprayed with more chemicals? So your comment spiked my curiosity.

I"m not sure. The chicken might be explained by the shortage, though I found it interesting that Arby's cut way back on its turkey products and instead introduced roasted chicken in its place (I'll eat their roasted chicken but I'm not a fan - its dry to me and I'd rather have the turkey). Taco Bell dropped their salads long before Covid, but I'm not sure why McDonald's did so - I suspect it has to do with the product as most of what they have left on their menu has to be fried or baked, though if that was the case, I'm not sure why they dropped the grilled chicken, unless its back to the shortage issues.

I have to watch my produce for sure and usually pay a little extra and get it at Krogers. It seems that any produce I get at Walmart goes back within a day or two while Krogers will at least last several days.
  • tempe987
    tempe987 Posts: 39 Member
    @emmyjaykay A purple door sounds awesome! I think we finally get around to replacing our front door I am going to do a dark teal color.