TEAM: The Slimsons (September)

Options
AB0215
AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
Welcome to the Challenge new and returning teammates!! This is the conversation/weigh in thread for your Team :) Keep on losing because our first weigh ins begin THIS Sunday! I am here for you should you need anything - simply message me or tag me by putting an '@' just before my username (NO SPACES) and I will get to you asap! ~ Ashley @AB0215.

Replies

• AB0215
    Options
    Hello Team Slimsons and Welcome to September!!

My name is Ashley @AB0215 I will be your captain for this month.

Here's a little about me:
    I am 33, and I have been overweight basically my entire life and in the last 2 years or so, I decided to change that, I have been working towards that goal for the past year. I'm down over 100 lbs and I still have a way to go, but I will get there. Let's do this!

Please feel free to introduce yourselves and share your goals for the month, I'd actually like to encourage this as I know that for me it helps me to have some accountability and helps me reach my goals when I share them..and with that in mind, my goal this month is to lose 5 pounds. I've been training for an Olympic Style Weight lifting competition and that was late last year, did okay, now I have some things to work on before my next one!

I'd like to help us be as successful as possible and if I can help in any way, please let me know. Also, if you have any suggestions for the team or fun ideas to spice things up a bit, please feel free to share them, I look for new ways to help engagement and keep people motivated!!

I am committed to this group and to help where I can, and please let me know if I can help in any way!!
    Side note--I follow a Ketogenic diet for any that may be interested, I have tons of recipes and resources for anyone interested.

Welcome to September and let's make things happen this month together!!

Your Captain,
    Ashley (@AB0215)
  • gjaholy33
    gjaholy33 Posts: 2,626 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Hello Team Slimsons,

🏋️‍♂️🤼‍♂️🤸‍♀️ WELCOME TO OUR SEPTEMBER CHALLENGE!!🤼‍♀️🤸‍♂️🏋️‍♀️🏋️‍♀️

My name is Gloria @gjaholy33, once again I will be your Co-captain which means motivating and keeping track of your weight.

I am 40 years old, By God's grace I turned over my issues of my weight and He has instructed me to the Liver Reduction Eating Plan in March month in preparation of the baraitric surgery as long as I continue to have success and my doctors are please with my progress. My goal is toSTILL weigh between 380-399 by October 23rd so no surgery. SO FAR I'VE KEPT 69.1LBS OFF SINCE MARCH 20, 2019

A little more about my history: I have always been obese since the age of 8 weighing 176lbs. Even with parents and doctors putting me on various diets as I child.

Just to encourage those who are struggling with staying on track; I have been trying to get healthy since 2010 and it's a constant struggle but I've learn to set short attainable goals in order to succeed. I didn't seriously try to get healthy until I was 22 weighing 576lbs and was successful losing over 225lbs weighing my lowest as an adult 323lbs. Recently I've been disable due to a work injury in 2015 and need to lose weight in order to get better as I am severely obese at 535lbs in August 2018.

My next goal is get rid of my sleep apnea CPAP machine.

In the past there were a lot of days which the pain was unbearable along with additional health issues which makes it hard for me, since the end of March I have been under new pain management regimen and working with my Physical Therapist, Connie, so things are getting better slowly but surely. Since I am determine to lose 200lbs I know I have to Stay positive and look forward and not back at what I did yesterday.

I am currently STRUGGLING JUST TO MAINTAIN FROM DAY TO DAY on my weightloss journey. So I have been doing a lot of praying and meditating in order to remain positive which is my key to being successful at my goals.

I always set goals for myself and this month my goal is to lose 10lbs!
    UNFORTUNATELY I DID NOT SUCCEED FOR THE MONTH of AUGUST (STILL STRUGGLING).
    Took advantage of my free bowling summer pass by going bowling once a week last month unfortunately bowling is over but still haven't met my goal weight to go swimming but hopefully I can still find a location to start swimming again at least once a week starting in September.

Looking forward to September Challenge! REMEMBER WE GOT THIS!

Your Co-captain,
    Glorious Gloria @gjaholy33😃👏🏾👌🏾👍🏾💪🏽💪🏽💪🏽

P.S. you can add me as a friend to get a look at my new recipes or for any extra encouraging words or inspiration.
  • gjaholy33
    gjaholy33 Posts: 2,626 Member
    Options
    ABOUT THE CHALLENGES & REQUIRED WEIGHT POSTINGS

We are also going to be running (Optional) Mini-challenges again this month: Question of the Week (assuming I can remember to do that or think of one) and Daily Posts

First and foremost is that participation in these challenges is optional. It's up to you as to whether you want to try this. If you don't want to participate in these challenges, you don't have to, the choice is yours, but I would like to encourage you to participate as it seems to help keep us on track and thinking about our goals on a daily basis and it's encouraging to see other's successes and struggles so that we realize that we are not alone!!

The Daily Posts Challenge is based on another challenge on MFP called UAC (Ultimate Accountability Challenge). The way UAC works is that the aim is to follow 5 basic rules.

#1. Track EVERYTHING you eat that has calories.
    #2. Stay inside your allocated daily budget.
    #3. Try to do at least 20 minutes of activity a day (anything: walk, run, cycle, swim, gardening, housework, yoga, gym, etc.. As long as it gets you active and off the couch)
    #4. 1 pass day permitted per week (went over calories, could not track, not enough exercise, intentional pass)
    #5. Check in daily (tracking yes/no, calories yes/no, exercise yes/no).

****End of the week. those who have managed to keep to plan for 6 out of 7 days are recognized in the thread as being part of the weekly "Winners Circle".

A side note as there has been a bit of confusion for new members in the past, this is not the same as the official results, which are weight based, this is just another tool to help you reach your weight loss goals.

**REMEMBER**
    You set your own daily budget.
    You choose you own exercise and intensity (no step limit, no exercises you cannot or should not do, 20 mins of gardening counts as much as a 10 mile run, activity is activity, anything that gets you up and moving!).
    Is not weight based (as weight fluctuates day by day).
    Can continue beyond weight loss.

Daily check in keeps you in touch with those doing similar. Longer term weight management is hard to do on your own.

It also has frequent resets (as in a circle each week).

It works on an honor system. Being honest with yourself and others is a key to making things work. Remember, this is a judgement free zone, everyone has good days and bad days, but the way to get to the finish line is by being honest and when we have a bad day, picking ourselves up and carrying on the next day!

Consistency and new habits have been shown the only long term successful way to change weight. We all want the progress made here to last a lifetime.

Your posts should look like this:
    Daily Post (Sunday/Date)

Track: Yes/no
    Calories: Yes/no (were you under)
    Exercise: Yes/no (what type and how long)
    Goals/Day/Comments: (Tell us a brief description about your how your day went or your goals for the day)

The Question of the Week Challenge is a fun participation booster and we will be using it sometimes just as fun and sometimes it can help to foster new ideas for others as we all are different and have different experiences so sharing ideas can help someone else with motivation of freshening up their routine even!! Keep on the lookout for these questions.

Please post your weight on your scheduled weigh in day, as if you miss weigh-ins, you may be eliminated from the challenge and we don't want to see that happen!!

Your posts should look like this:
    Username:
    Week: February Week 1
    PW =(previous weight)
    CW=(current weight)

Example:
    AB0215
    Aug Week 1
    PW: 138.4
    CW: 140.1

Please, please setup your posts in that format as it really makes it much easier for us to track your progress for the challenges and the weight loss!!

We'd like to help you be as successful as possible and if we can help in any way, please let us know. Also, if you have any suggestions for the team or fun ideas to spice things up a bit, please feel free to share them, we look for new ways to help engagement and keep people motivated!!

We are committed to this group and to help where we can, and please let us know if we can help in any way!!

Once again Welcome to September Challenge!

Your Captain Ashley (@AB0215)
    Co-Captain Gloria (@Gjaholy33)
  • Handlesgone
    Handlesgone Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi, I’m Rhonda @Handlesgone. i am super excited about joining this group. I’m in my 40s and have been on my journey for a long time. Over the past 14 years, my weight has fluctuated resulting in me gaining about 50 pounds.

In the past, I enjoyed working out, it was part of my daily routine. I worked out six days a week and made smart food choices. Unfortunately, things changed. I had a very bad ankle sprain, followed by a knee injury. I couldn’t work out like I use to, I missed it. Went back to working out too soon and re-injured myself. I always loved and enjoyed food but my love for food now turned into bad food choices and added pounds. Unfortunately, I acquired 50 pounds and have put myself in the situation where I am now diabetic.

When I finally decided to get serious again and gain control, I started back exercising. I ended up having to have foot surgery for a painful bunion. The surgery was successful but I’m currently going to Physical Therapy for Achilles tendonitis as well as PT for a torn meniscus.

I am now working through the pain. I am using swimming as my method of exercise to try to minimize the pain and keep moving, until my Achilles and knee are in better condition.

I will be posting my stats on Sept 1st but currently, I am 204 pounds and am looking to lose 50 pounds. I am willing to accept 5 pounds monthly as a goal towards losing and keeping off the 50 pounds. With doing all of this, I am hoping to get off of diabetic medication. Most importantly, I want to have energy to keep up with my amazing 5-year old.

I need and appreciate your support and look forward to this journey together. I am already inspired by the willingness of those who started this challenge, those joining this challenge as well as sharing your stories, and being open to help each other! I just met you but I can already tell you all are amazing!
  • AB0215
    Options
    Hi, I’m Rhonda @Handlesgone. i am super excited about joining this group. I’m in my 40s and have been on my journey for a long time. Over the past 14 years, my weight has fluctuated resulting in me gaining about 50 pounds.
    In the past, I enjoyed working out, it was part of my daily routine. I worked out six days a week and made smart food choices. Unfortunately, things changed. I had a very bad ankle sprain, followed by a knee injury. I couldn’t work out like I use to, I missed it. Went back to working out too soon and re-injured myself. I always loved and enjoyed food but my love for food now turned into bad food choices and added pounds. Unfortunately, I acquired 50 pounds and have put myself in the situation where I am now diabetic.

When I finally decided to get serious again and gain control, I started back exercising. I ended up having to have foot surgery for a painful bunion. The surgery was successful but I’m currently going to Physical Therapy for Achilles tendonitis as well as PT for a torn meniscus.

I am now working through the pain. I am using swimming as my method of exercise to try to minimize the pain and keep moving, until my Achilles and knee are in better condition.

I will be posting my stats on Sept 1st but currently, I am 204 pounds and am looking to lose 50 pounds. I am willing to accept 5 pounds monthly as a goal towards losing and keeping off the 50 pounds. With doing all of this, I am hoping to get off of diabetic medication. Most importantly, I want to have energy to keep up with my amazing 5-year old.

I need and appreciate your support and look forward to this journey together. I am already inspired by the willingness of those who started this challenge, those joining this challenge as well as sharing your stories, and being open to help each other! I just met you but I can already tell you all are amazing!

@Handlesgone Welcome Rhonda!! That's quite a journey up to now! Injury does make it hard, I injured my hip nearly 2 years ago and that was 3 months of torture, however I did focus on what I could do during that time and not what I couldn't do, so I worked on my upper body and not my lower body and controlled my nutrition and worked through it. The truth is, nutrition is most of the battle when it comes to weight loss. And my suggestion for you might be to look at a Ketogenic diet, it naturally lowers your blood sugar and helps you shed the weight a little quicker and you can get off those blood pressure meds sooner! Of course, I encourage you to do your own research, but it's worked for me. My blood sugar was pushing diabetic levels (101 fasting) and now it's a steady 70-80 every day. I've also lost 100 lbs with keto, so it works if you're willing to make the changes necessary to stick with that way of eating. Regardless of what path you choose, diet will be your best friend in both the diabetic space and ultimately losing the weight and also helping your joints with exercise.

Welcome to the team! You got this!
  • Handlesgone
    Options
    @AB0215, your success story is one of the reasons I joined. It gives encouragement and motivation so thank you so much! Being part of a team where others can relate, especially about how injuries impact a person’s progress pushes me to know I can do this-successfully. Thank you for sharing your story, and giving me support and suggestions. I will look into a Keto diet. Tried it for a bit before, but will definitely consider giving it another go. Many thanks :)
  • AB0215
    Options
    @AB0215, your success story is one of the reasons I joined. It gives encouragement and motivation so thank you so much! Being part of a team where others can relate, especially about how injuries impact a person’s progress pushes me to know I can do this-successfully. Thank you for sharing your story, and giving me support and suggestions. I will look into a Keto diet. Tried it for a bit before, but will definitely consider giving it another go. Many thanks :)

@Handlesgone One of the big things to remember about the keto diet is that it does take time to adapt, so give it 6-8 weeks before you think it's not working, you will feel a little more sluggish than normal during this time but your energy will return with a vengeance! If you want a place to start, ruled.me is a great resource to start your journey. I literally started eating steak and broccoli and butter on both the steak and broccoli for added fat. After I started getting more comfortable with the macro change, I started branching out to other foods that were low carb. Don't know if that would help you or not.
  • Handlesgone
    Options
    @AB0215, sounds good. I will check out ruled.me. Thanks
  • dustyspal
    dustyspal Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to continuing my weight-loss journey and the support from this group and the challenge itself. Good luck to all and be healthy!.
  • AB0215
    Options
    dustyspal wrote: »
    Looking forward to continuing my weight-loss journey and the support from this group and the challenge itself. Good luck to all and be healthy!.

@dustyspal Welcome back! You got this!!
  • AB0215
    Options
    Daily Post (Wednesday)

Track: Yes
    Calories: Yes
    Exercise: Yes, 1.5 hours walking,, 1 hour weight training.

Comments: Good day, got a lot of work around the house done, and stayed on point with my eating, which has been a struggle, although, that may have been due to the muscle building I've been doing, have to work a bit harder to stay within my calories for September, starting now.
  • Kin59vara
    Kin59vara Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Daily Post (Thursday)

Track: no
    Calories: no (were you under)
    Exercise: Daily Burn, 16370
    Goals/Day/Not a good day :'( I am at back at school and I am devouring the wrong thing. I went to the grocery store and bought some good food so I am bringing healthy snacks.
  • AB0215
    Options
    Daily Post (Thursday)

Track: Yes
    Calories: Yes
    Exercise: Yes, 1.5 hours walking, 45 mins weight training, and I spent an hour cleaning my carpet downstairs...which is surprisingly exhausting.
  • Kin59vara
    Kin59vara Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Daily Post (Friday)

Calories: no
    Exercise: Daily Burn, 17168

GOALS
    I know that I am supposed to track so why don't I do it!
  • benbowers
    benbowers Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm Ben and from the UK.

My goal is to lose weight so I can enjoy my long distance running again.

I have a marathon planned for the end of October so hoping to lose a good amount of weight by then, but happy with any loss.

Currently I weigh 206lbs.

My diet is all over the place, with a busy job, two young children and another on the way, life is pretty hectic!
  • dustyspal
    dustyspal Posts: 835 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Hi Ben,
    Good luck with your marathon. I can't imagine running that distance, but I would like to begin jogging again by Christmas. It's been about 5 years since I've jogged last, so I don't know if my aging body can take it, but we'll see.
  • ellylh1827
    ellylh1827 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Morning from Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

I'm Eleanor I'm 45 and been overweight all my adult life.

Various reasons why but more important is the why I've now decided enough is enough.

There has been a mental shift and I know I can get it off, there's a surity if that makes sense.

I've lost 2stone 9lbs so far.

Back at the gym and going for a 3 mile walk every evening round our local loch. Plus rehearsals have started back so I'm dancing 2 1/2 - 3 hrs a night twice a week. I'm in panto and determined im not being fat on stage this year....for the 12th year running.

I've just climbed a Graham and climbing a munro next week.

I love walking and hill walking but I need to be fitter so I can climb all the munroes I want to.

Good luck everyone.....let's smash this❤❤
  • AB0215
    Options
    Kin59vara wrote: »
    Daily Post (Friday)

Calories: no
    Exercise: Daily Burn, 17168

GOALS
    I know that I am supposed to track so why don't I do it!

@Kin59vara You'll find it's hard to know howto adjust when you don't track and there are people out there who are successful while not tracking,, I find that I am not one of those lucky ones. I tried for a while and the scale was not kind to me. Might I suggest maybe tracking a different way, like maybe journal style until you get in the habit, sometimes seeing it on paper helps. I did that for a while and I also tracked how I was feeling, really seemed to give me a better perspective on why I was doing what I was doing, because I didn't want to write it down and look at it if I wasn't really hungry.
  • AB0215
    Options
    benbowers wrote: »
    Hi!
    I'm Ben and from the UK.

My goal is to lose weight so I can enjoy my long distance running again.

I have a marathon planned for the end of October so hoping to lose a good amount of weight by then, but happy with any loss.

Currently I weigh 206lbs.

My diet is all over the place, with a busy job, two young children and another on the way, life is pretty hectic!

@benbowers Welcome Ben!! Good luck with your marathon! That's quite an accomplishment! You got this! take it one day at a time, make better choices one choice at a time and you'll be at your healthy goals in no time, even with the craziness at home!
This discussion has been closed.