TEAM: The Slimsons (September)

Options

Replies

• AB0215
    AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
    Options
    ellylh1827 wrote: »
    Morning from Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

I'm Eleanor I'm 45 and been overweight all my adult life.

Various reasons why but more important is the why I've now decided enough is enough.

There has been a mental shift and I know I can get it off, there's a surity if that makes sense.

I've lost 2stone 9lbs so far.

Back at the gym and going for a 3 mile walk every evening round our local loch. Plus rehearsals have started back so I'm dancing 2 1/2 - 3 hrs a night twice a week. I'm in panto and determined im not being fat on stage this year....for the 12th year running.

I've just climbed a Graham and climbing a munro next week.

I love walking and hill walking but I need to be fitter so I can climb all the munroes I want to.

Good luck everyone.....let's smash this❤❤

@ellylh1827 There really has to be that mental shift for us to really lose the weight, I was overweight my entire life (I guess technically I still am, but I really don't see myself that way like I used to). They always talk about finding your why, why do you want to lose the weight and how will your life be better or change when you do lose the weight? And one of the things I've found is that really changes throughout the journey too, like why I started isn't why I keep doing it now, I achieved my original goals and had to make new ones, and that's exciting and scary!

You got this! And we're here to help!
  • o0kody0o
    o0kody0o Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    🌟Daily Post: Thursday, 29 August

Track: Yes
    Calories: Under
    Exercise: Some walking
    💬Comments: Because I only have around 6lbs left to lose now, I tweaked my desired rate of loss per week. I had it set to the maximum of 2lbs per week which gave me a daily allowance of 1200 calories but I’ve now set it to lose 1lb per week, and this has given me a daily allowance of 1410. I’ve been hungrier lately so the extra calories should help with that.

@AB0215 Ashley, I know you are knowledgeable on this subject and I’d appreciate your input. Do you think the above sounds ok or should I lower my desired weekly loss to 0.5? I have around 6lbs to lose, I’m 5”5, lightly active and my current weight is 139.7. Any suggestions/tips are welcome, thank you 😊
  • AB0215
    edited August 2019
    Options
    o0kody0o wrote: »
    🌟Daily Post: Thursday, 29 August

Exercise: Some walking
    💬Comments: Because I only have around 6lbs left to lose now, I tweaked my desired rate of loss per week. I had it set to the maximum of 2lbs per week which gave me a daily allowance of 1200 calories but I’ve now set it to lose 1lb per week, and this has given me a daily allowance of 1410. I’ve been hungrier lately so the extra calories should help with that.

@AB0215 Ashley, I know you are knowledgeable on this subject and I’d appreciate your input. Do you think the above sounds ok or should I lower my desired weekly loss to 0.5? I have around 6lbs to lose, I’m 5”5, lightly active and my current weight is 139.7. Any suggestions/tips are welcome, thank you 😊

@o0kody0o Here is my long winded response, sorry in advance. It's a lot lol.

I think this is a tough question to answer and one I've had a hard time with over the last couple years of losing myself.

I'll start by saying that I'm 4'10" and currently (I'm under 140 lbs myself) and I eat somewhere between 1200 and 1500 calories on average. If I consistently eat 1500 calories I don't see weight loss as much as I see muscle gain and maintenance on the scale, so that is not necessarily a bad thing either.
    I am also very active, I walk typically at a minimum 1 hour per day and lift weights for 1 hour a day 5 to 6 days a week, and most days I walk 1.5 to 2 hours a day. I am extremely active and I won't see weight loss at 1500 calories so that leads me into the next point. Also, one of the things I've learned over the last 2 or so years is more about food choices too. I tried to lose weight with the standard way of eating, focus on protein, eat a crap ton of veggies, eat several times a day small meals, I tried everything but I wasn't losing anything. I was always hungry, felt like crap all the time, it just didn't work for me. I tried Keto and weight started falling off, I lost my first 40 or 45 lbs in like 5 or 6 months...and it really was much easier. I have since cut all veggies and dropped another 10 lbs like it was nothing and I'm feeling better and sleeping much better and (this may be an overshare for our male population) my favorite part is my cramps are gone during that time of the month. I wake up feeling rested and fall asleep faster than I've ever felt in my life....it's really been an enlightening experience, and research is seeming to suggest that some people may do better with a carnivore diet based on their heritage and mine is actually mostly from American Indian and northern European countries where they would have eaten a mostly meat based diet, which is partly why I decided to try it and I'm 3 months in and haven't looked back. (I am not for the record suggesting you drop everything and go carnivore, I'd try keto first, that will get you burning fat for fuel first, which is what carnivore does too--just as an fyi lol)

There is some research that's suggesting that being at a deficit for so long that you can damage your metabolism, and slow it down, which might actually be where I am at right now and partly why I've been really trying to maintain my weight and heal myself for a bit instead of trying to lose weight since hitting my goal of losing 100 lbs.

And another point is a smaller body needs less calories to maintain and less to lose, so increasing may or may not be the answer either. (I know, that's not helpful lol)

So really to answer your question with what I have experienced, I can honestly tell you that I've learned a lot about my own body through self experimentation and that is what you should do.

What I haven't yet mastered is eating more and still losing weight. I have this weird issue with increasing my calories, if I eat more, I can't stop myself from eating more, so like if I eat 1500 calories, I tend to eat 2500 calories....It's weird, if I stay in that sweet spot of like 1150 to 1300 I don't over eat, but if I go to 1500, I tend to go all the way to like 2500 or 3000, which is definitely too much for my current goals. So over the last 2 months that's the struggle I've been in and something that I am currently trying to work on for myself and something that I might just need to put on the back burner and work through when I have reached my weight loss goals and then work on increasing my calories and focusing more on building muscle, so that's where I am at with it.

--What I might actually suggest is increasing your calories but don't do it all at once, do it gradually, which is what the research is suggesting, like by 50 calories a week so you're not letting your body adjust and stepping it up right away which can actually hurt more than it helps. And if you do it this way you can really get a feel for how your body is responding to the changes, like if you're still losing weight by going up to 1250 and still a steady pace, then go to 1300 for the next week and so on until you get to a point where you're not comfortable with the amount of weight you're losing. And also it's sort of like a mind trick to because you know that you're consuming more and that should help your mind because it's thinking well I am eating more so I shouldn't feel as hungry.

--Another thing I might suggest is changing up or increasing your activities. Maybe add some weight training, and you can actually do this with body weight and no gym (actually how one the branches of the US military trains and those guys are built) or maybe adding in some extra cardio a couple days a week, I would do the strength training over additional cardio, because well that's better for your body long term, building muscle burns more fat and can change the shape of your body as well. Something to think about.

That may be more information that you really needed for your question, but I thought I'd throw it all out there on the table and let you see where I'm coming from. I think it's important to realize that we are all individuals and that there is to some degree going to be some things that work better based on your personality, heritage, lifestyle, etc. I am in no way saying that you can only lose weight with Keto, that is simply not the truth, but for me it's been the only way I've been able to do it. It's been the only way I've been able to keep my hunger in check and my body feeling fueled.
  • o0kody0o
    Options
    @AB0215 Wow thanks very much for all the info! I will admit that I don’t know the first thing about Keto so I’m going to research this. I love reading up on different things so I’ll get started on that. I’ve lost roughly 44lbs over the past 6 (almost 7) months. Up until a couple of months ago, I’ve found it quite easy to lose weight but I’ve stalled for some time now and I’m definitely feeling hungrier.

It’s interesting to know that there’s research showing that being in a deficit for so long can damage the metabolism; I didn’t know this.

Gradually increasing my calories sounds like a good idea so I’m going to try that, rather than going straight from 1200 to 1410. Also, I will set myself a goal for increasing my activity levels and I’ll do my best to include some strength training.

Thanks again for your help, its much appreciated and you’ve given me lots of things to consider 😊

• AB0215
    Options
    o0kody0o wrote: »
    @AB0215 Wow thanks very much for all the info! I will admit that I don’t know the first thing about Keto so I’m going to research this. I love reading up on different things so I’ll get started on that. I’ve lost roughly 44lbs over the past 6 (almost 7) months. Up until a couple of months ago, I’ve found it quite easy to lose weight but I’ve stalled for some time now and I’m definitely feeling hungrier.

It’s interesting to know that there’s research showing that being in a deficit for so long can damage the metabolism; I didn’t know this.

Gradually increasing my calories sounds like a good idea so I’m going to try that, rather than going straight from 1200 to 1410. Also, I will set myself a goal for increasing my activity levels and I’ll do my best to include some strength training.

Thanks again for your help, its much appreciated and you’ve given me lots of things to consider 😊

@o0kody0o if you want a good basic idea of keto, ruled.me is a good site to learn more about it, it's where I started. It's worth looking into if you're really stuck, it does take a few weeks to get used to as you adjust but it was well worth it for me. Something to think about, it can be really beneficial in many ways.

But yeah I am planning on working on my metabolism as soon as I am done working on my weight, slowly increasing my calories until I get to the maintenance level, but right now I really need to finish the job I started.

I think you're really doing great and I think that increasing your activity will go a long way to helping you get those last 6 lbs off honestly. Even with the increased intake.
  • batgirl140
    batgirl140 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

I’m Beth and I’ve been on the Slimsons since January. I’ve taken off July and August with my kiddos home for the summer. They started back this week and that means I start back too!

I put on about 7 lbs, I could have done far worse so I’m not unhappy. Hopefully some of that will fall off quickly.

I’m still about 40 lbs down since January. Still taking Taekwondo which I started the end of April. Now I just need to get my mind back to where it was in the beginning of the year!

Best wishes to all!!
  • o0kody0o
    Options
    🌟Daily Post: Friday, 30 August

Exercise: Walking
    💬Comments: I’m feeling really positive about the new month ahead. I am sure I can finally get rid of my last 6lbs by the end of September. My only worry is that I still won’t feel satisfied once I hit my GW of 134lbs. My original GW was 147lbs but I still wasn’t happy at that so I continued to lose weight. I just hope I’ll feel more like “me” once I get there 😊
  • Ver9nika
    Ver9nika Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hi team!

I participated in spring and missed you ever since!

Ashley @AB0215, whose input to this group cannot be measured nor appreciated enough!

Gloria, @gjaholy33 whose motivational posts had saved me many days from diet-cheating

Also hi to everyone else I've "met" here previously and hopefully see you again: @batgirl140 @CINDYKNC1963 @gemwolf110 @vicky2767 @IanMoone30 @digger61 etc etc etc

Also big Hello to new teammates! <3

My cw is 242lbs. I don't have the goal weight, every lbs gone makes me happy. I try to follow food plan (calory restrictions)

Daily Post (Friday)

Track: Yes
    Calories: Yes + watermelon
    Exercise: chores around the house

Comments: lovely day. Actually for the 1st time in my life I had tears in my eyes as I was sooo thankful for the life I have <3
  • benbowers
    benbowers Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Daily Post (Friday)

Exercise: No running as its a rest day, however, I filled in for one of my staff today in the warehouse and shifted over 500kg of boxes.
  • dustyspal
    dustyspal Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Daily Post - Friday
    Track ✔
    Calories ✔
    Exercise not really
    Water 80oz

Looking forward to September. I have a feeling it's going to be a good month.👍 as the weather starts to cool, I will be more inclined to get out in the afternoon and do something, anything.
  • batgirl140
    batgirl140 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Daily check in aug 30

Track: Yes!
    Calories: Under!
    Exercise: No

Back at it today!! The cookies in the kitchen are ALL calling to me!! Need to stay strong!

Trying to figure out a goal that will keep me motivated! I have some taekwondo tournaments this fall. My first big one is Sept 28. Perhaps a goal of getting back down to my lowest would be good goal for a month, 8 lbs. Then 193 by Sept 28 it is!!
  • AB0215
    Options
    Daily Post (Friday)

Calories: Yes
    Exercise: 1.5 hours walking,, 1.5 hours weight training.
  • Kin59vara
    Kin59vara Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    AB0215 wrote: »
    Kin59vara wrote: »
    Daily Post (Friday)

Track: no
    Calories: no
    Exercise: Daily Burn, 17168

GOALS
    I know that I am supposed to track so why don't I do it!

@Kin59vara You'll find it's hard to know how to adjust when you don't track and there are people out there who are successful while not tracking, I find that I am not one of those lucky ones. I tried for a while and the scale was not kind to me. Might I suggest maybe tracking a different way, like maybe journal-style until you get in the habit, sometimes seeing it on paper helps. I did that for a while and I also tracked how I was feeling, really seemed to give me a better perspective on why I was doing what I was doing, because I didn't want to write it down and look at it if I wasn't really hungry.

Thanks so much for the advice! I did indeed get a journal to work on some habits. This week I tried to make sure that I walked the dog and then walked the beach after work until I had made a step goal. I did do that. I also took a strategy from the book Atomic Habit to write down 6 things to accomplish at work and do them until they were finished and that worked very well. I will try to do that with food journaling which the book also highly recommended.
  • Kin59vara
    Options
    Daily Post (Saturday)

Track: no
    Calories: no
    Exercise: Daily Burn, 21,205

GOALS:
    I accomplished my new goal of walking and getting in the steps
    3nsv1co30y24.png

Next week goal is to add to this goal by tracking. One of the ways that the Atomic Habit says to do this is setting up the environment. I will try PRIOR to eating.
  • Ver9nika
    Ver9nika Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Daily Post (Saturday)

Track: Yes
    Calories: Yes
    Exercise: chores around the house (washing windows etc)

Overall a good day
  • o0kody0o
    Options
    🌟Daily Post: Saturday, 31 August

Exercise: Walking

💬@AB0215 Ashley, I’ve just realised I’ve been doing my last 2 or 3 daily posts here in the September thread, just in case you check for them in the August thread. Thanks 😊
  • dustyspal
    dustyspal Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Daily Post - Saturday, August 31

Track ✔
    Calories ✔
    Exercise ✔ 🚶🏊
    Water 64 oz

Such a beautiful day! Walked, took dogs to the dog park, walked dogs, swam a little, did some grocery shopping. Need more days like today.
  • CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Daily Post: August 31

Calories under goal: Yes
    Exercise: 10,150 steps
  • vicky2767
    vicky2767 Posts: 2,472 Member
    Options
    Hi team. My name is Vicky, and I joined this team in Jan. Such a really wonderful group of supportive people.
    A little about me. I’m (almost) 45 married with two teenage (almost adult) boys. My favorite form of exercise is to jog/run. And I have been struggling a lot. These past few months. But it’s sept 1st and I’m ready to get back at it
  • Kin59vara
    Options
    Weigh-in

Username: Kin59vara
    Week: September week 1
    Weigh-in day: SUNDAY
    PW =163.6
    CW= 164.7

YUCK
This discussion has been closed.