2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,645 Member
    nwk6sfp8da0l.png
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,829 Member
    I need to check with a town hall about sending us absentee ballots so we can vote in the primary.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    I am changing my orthopedic provider to one that our state insurance approves. We live near the Ohio border so many went across the border. The state insurance will no longer pay for it. I would have no problem with Medicare paying but the state insurance paid the balance, and if it was a major bill that could be a major ouch. The new providers have an excellent reputation.
  • KonaKat
    me6pr8h5wbvb.png
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    KonaKat wrote: »
    I am changing my orthopedic provider to one that our state insurance approves. We live near the Ohio border so many went across the border. The state insurance will no longer pay for it. I would have no problem with Medicare paying but the state insurance paid the balance, and if it was a major bill that could be a major ouch. The new providers have an excellent reputation.

• PamS53
    me6pr8h5wbvb.png

• mdubbs1
    me6pr8h5wbvb.png

That's too funny! I came close to burning my pancakes yesterday morning. Actually, some people might have called them burnt but I decided they were edible!
  • mdubbs1
    I have fairly modest exercise goals at this point. My endocrinologist told me the best thing I can do for my numbers is 150 minutes of walking a week, so that's my current goal. This week already I've hit 143.

Later on this year, assuming I can turn the current diet/treadmill into a habit, I'd like to get back into strength training. I have the book I love (Strong Women Stay Young), the weights and the VHS tape (and still have two ways to play a tape). I also like strength training at the gym on equipment but no time for that at this point.

My time for doing any of this - in the last 10 years or so anyway_ was always when DH was at work or in bed. Having him cut back on his hours is a major adjustment. And not always an easy one.

In 5 years or so when I retire I can always hit the senior center (which is essentially walking distance if I was in decent shape) but in the meantime it's going to be problematic.
  • PamS53
    Today we are attending the memorial service/celebration of life for my friend’s husband who died earlier this month. There will be a reception afterward at the church and I volunteered to go early to set out and arrange the food for this. I know this will be such a hard day for her and wanted to do whatever I could to make it easier for her. I am dreading it in many ways, but also somewhat excited to see my favorite professor from grad school who plans to attend. I haven’t seen him in more than 25 years, I think.

Tomorrow we are invited to a friend’s home for a lasagna dinner. I offered to bring a salad and I still need to go to the grocery store to buy ingredients. I know most people nowadays just buy a bag of salad mix but I’m never pleased with those. I much prefer to buy my lettuce and other ingredients because it is so much fresher than the bags of wilted lettuce. I like to add a variety of ingredients as well. A bowl of lettuce isn’t salad in my (salad snob) opinion.
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    Today we are attending the memorial service/celebration of life for my friend’s husband who died earlier this month. There will be a reception afterward at the church and I volunteered to go early to set out and arrange the food for this. I know this will be such a hard day for her and wanted to do whatever I could to make it easier for her. I am dreading it in many ways, but also somewhat excited to see my favorite professor from grad school who plans to attend. I haven’t seen him in more than 25 years, I think.

Tomorrow we are invited to a friend’s home for a lasagna dinner. I offered to bring a salad and I still need to go to the grocery store to buy ingredients. I know most people nowadays just buy a bag of salad mix but I’m never pleased with those. I much prefer to buy my lettuce and other ingredients because it is so much fresher than the bags of wilted lettuce. I like to add a variety of ingredients as well. A bowl of lettuce isn’t salad in my (salad snob) opinion.

I hope the memorial service goes well!

For my salads, I use Very Veggie salad mix, shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, chopped onions, shredded radishes and turkey strips. Sometimes I add sugar snaps and/or cherry tomatoes (when I can find yellow ones) In other words, all I do it open bags and pour! I divide the Very Veggie in half and add from there.
  • mdubbs1
    This has been a strange Baltimore winter. January ends today and we've had at most a sprinkling of snow. Nothing deep enough to shovel. Yet. First half of next week the temp is supposed to be in the 60's.

But there's no climate change (sure orange cheeto, sure).
  • Helene610
    I had a pretty busy day. I was at the dermatologist this morning for my annual skin cancer check. I mentioned two items which were new this year. I had a very small skin colored bump just above where my watch band falls. It didn’t hurt or itch but it just popped up a few months ago. He decided to err on the side of caution so he shaved it off and sent it for a biopsy. I had a raised, bumpy brown spot in the groin area. It frequently itches like mad. He froze that off with liquid nitrogen. I had the same procedure 2 years ago in the cleavage area. It tends to look ugly during the healing process (4-6 weeks) but having it removed was a good decision. That one showed when I wore a bathing suit and I was embarrassed by how it looked. And like the new one, it itched. Nobody will see the new one but the itching was pretty uncomfortable. I had choir practice following that. Afterwards, I picked up DH for a volunteer project.

We had signed up to pack food for a group called aFeed My Starving Children. 50 people from our church had signed up along with 100 volunteers from other churches and organizations. It was an assembly line project. A volunteer placed a plastic bag under a funnel. I added a spoonful of vitamin powder and a spoonful of veggie flakes to the bag. Other volunteers added a mug of soy and a mug of rice to the bag. The bag was removed from the funnel, passed to a volunteer who weigh it and made sure the bag didnIt leak. Two more volunteers vacuumed sealed the bags and passed them to the packers. Meanwhile, volunteers resupplied the containers of ingredients and supplies as they dwindled. DH worked with another volunteer on putting the bags on the funnel.

All in all, we packed the equivalent of 36,000 meals in 2 hours. The group was doing two shifts today and two shifts tomorrow. The meals go to 70 different countries and provide a meal a day to children who would otherwise go hungry. That’s going to be a lot of meals packed over 2 days. It was a very satisfying project.
  • Helene610
    Pam, I hope the memorial service wasn’t too difficult. Your friend certainly appreciated everyone’s support and help. I use some of the bagged lettuces like butter lettuce or arugula. I add other veggies to it. Otherwise, it would be just a bowl of lettuce. I like the Very Veggie salad as well.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene - sounds like you had a very rewarding day all around!! I'm curious - what do people do with those food bags. You'd have to cook the rice part, right?
  • mdubbs1
    lt6v8ernmdi7.png
  • mdubbs1
    edited February 2020
    I've been planning out meals to finish cleaning out the freezer without destroying the diet. For some reason, I had a thought for once I'm just about done. Packet week? Whoa!!! Could be done.

mxcobvybwyg3.png
  • Helene610
    They boil the whole mixture in water. When it’s cooked, the rice swells. It makes 6 servings per bag. The staff passed out samples of the cooked product as we were leaving. They were in the little cups like hospitals put pills in. It was pretty bland but if it was your only meal, it would be fine. A little soy sauce to hot sauce would have perked it up.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    They boil the whole mixture in water. When it’s cooked, the rice swells. It makes 6 servings per bag. The staff passed out samples of the cooked product as we were leaving. They were in the little cups like hospitals put pills in. It was pretty bland but if it was your only meal, it would be fine. A little soy sauce to hot sauce would have perked it up.

Yes, I'm sure if it was your only meal it would be fine. And I'm sure they planned it out to provide as much nutrition as they could.
  • mdubbs1
    edited February 2020
    Today is historic. 02/02/2020.

That's a palindrome - reads the same backwards as forwards.

Won't be another for over 100 years. 12/12/2121

No matter how much I diet and improve my health I don't expect to see that one. LOL!
  • KonaKat
    Maryanne--I think we all have to make the most of this historic day: 02/02/2020.

I did not have a good January. I watched what I ate, logged it and exercised 30 to 60 minutes a day. My reward? One pound loss for the month. I feel better and have more energy but the doctor's scale measures pounds.