2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    wwac2349b03w.png
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,645 Member
    KonaKat wrote: »
    Maryanne--I think we all have to make the most of this historic day: 02/02/2020.

I did not have a good January. I watched what I ate, logged it and exercised 30 to 60 minutes a day. My reward? One pound loss for the month. I feel better and have more energy but the doctor's scale measures pounds.

Well, darned!!! Easy to say you should enjoy benefits of feeling better and having more energy but I know the weight results are disappointing.
  • mdubbs1
    I lost half a pound last week. I guess not every week can be big like last week. I think I need to tighten up on the "just a bite" stuff.

174bh7u0z1u6.png
  • mdubbs1
    It's supposed to be above freezing again all week. A few showers but again no snow. Don't get me wrong. I don't WANT snow. But it's weird.
  • mdubbs1
    Taxpayers Get $3.4 Million Tab So Trump Can Host Super Bowl Party For His Club Members

The president’s latest trip to his Palm Beach resort and nearby golf course brings the taxpayer-funded total for his golfing hobby to $130.4 million.

Is this not the same man who harangued President Obama for golfing?
  • KonaKat
    Maryanne--It is to be in the high 60s today and tomorrow with temps lower the rest of the week but still not typical of February. Some people have flowers coming up. Sorry about the lack of a good loss this past week.

I preplanned everything I'm eating today and it seems like too much but MFP says it came in at 1100 calories. I drink a lot of beverages made with water but this week, I am going to drink pure water in addition to my usual. The doctor when looking at lab results said I was not getting enough water. If coffee counts as water then I exceed the water recommendation.

I've gotten in 30 minutes of exercise this morning, and called the cardiology practice to schedule my 6 month followup. The date is April 20 so we will see what the weight is then. From my heaviest weight, I have lost 140 pounds but for the past few years since switching over to MFP, my weight has fluctuated within a 5 pound range. It seems as if it doesn't want to go below a certain point.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    We hit 80 degrees yesterday and today is expected to be warm as well. However, late tomorrow we will have a cold front come through, bringing with it a chance for snow and/or sleet on Wednesday. I have a follow up eye doctor appointment that I really don’t want to reschedule, but DH is getting nervous about the prospect of icy roads that day. I think I will wait until I hear the predictions tomorrow before making a decision.

My weight continues to go up. I’ve decided that I need to rejoin the recreation center and try to go at least 3 times a week to walk. They have treadmills and a walking track, as well as all kinds of other cardio equipment, weights, and a large indoor pool. They also have classes. Some of those are free, while others have a fee. It’s free for residents of our city who are over 55. The only drawback is that it is about a 15 minute drive, but that’s really just an obstacle in my head. It’s really not a big deal, or shouldn’t be.
  • PamS53
    Maryanne--It is to be in the high 60s today and tomorrow with temps lower the rest of the week but still not typical of February. Some people have flowers coming up. Sorry about the lack of a good loss this past week.

I preplanned everything I'm eating today and it seems like too much but MFP says it came in at 1100 calories. I drink a lot of beverages made with water but this week, I am going to drink pure water in addition to my usual. The doctor when looking at lab results said I was not getting enough water. If coffee counts as water then I exceed the water recommendation.

I've gotten in 30 minutes of exercise this morning, and called the cardiology practice to schedule my 6 month followup. The date is April 20 so we will see what the weight is then. From my heaviest weight, I have lost 140 pounds but for the past few years since switching over to MFP, my weight has fluctuated within a 5 pound range. It seems as if it doesn't want to go below a certain point.

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,829 Member
    Jean, that’s amazing how much you’ve lost since day one. Focus on that rather than those pesky five pounds. Do you really need to lose 5 pounds or is a goal you have set? It sounds like you have done an amazing job of maintaining and that’s no small thing. Maintaining is fluctuating within a small range rather than a firm number.

You are doing so many right things for the betterment of your health. Keep exercising as you’re doing and work on getting in more fluids. Celebrate that you feel better and have more energy. Whatever that scale says, you are already a winner.
  • KonaKat
    Helene--I have a pic of me when I weighed 135 pounds and was 5'4" inches tall. I looked good. I would have to lose almost 40 pounds to get there now at a time when my metabolism isn't on fire like it was then. Add to that, I keep losing height despite taking all those stupid drugs to help reduce it. There is a typo on the original post; the weight loss is 40 pounds not 140.

I have carried the obese label for years. I would be happy if I could get down to 155 but it doesn't look as if it will happen. That would be a little less than 20 pounds. I'm a size 16 or 18 depending upon brand. I wore a tight 12 when I was 135. I also have a large bone structure. With the 40 pound weight loss, I went from a size 1X to a size L or 16 or 18 depending upon manufacturer. That line about losing a dress size with each ten pounds lost is a joke.

It is frustrating to go out with these thin types who eat larger meals than I do but never gain. When my niece and I go on vacation, she eats more than I do but I gain and she doesn't and we usually order about the same thing. I can maintain on around 1700 calories a day or so the calculators say but experience says otherwise as 5000 steps a day is considered sedentary.

https://www.10000steps.org.au/articles/counting-steps/

Pam--I definiitely know your frustration. Good luck on your exercise efforts.
  • mdubbs1
    Jean -I vaguely remember reading that coffee is dehydrating. You might want to check into whether can count as water.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene--I have a pic of me when I weighed 135 pounds and was 5'4" inches tall. I looked good. I would have to lose almost 40 pounds to get there now at a time when my metabolism isn't on fire like it was then. Add to that, I keep losing height despite taking all those stupid drugs to help reduce it. There is a typo on the original post; the weight loss is 40 pounds not 140.

I have carried the obese label for years. I would be happy if I could get down to 155 but it doesn't look as if it will happen. That would be a little less than 20 pounds. I'm a size 16 or 18 depending upon brand. I wore a tight 12 when I was 135. I also have a large bone structure. With the 40 pound weight loss, I went from a size 1X to a size L or 16 or 18 depending upon manufacturer. That line about losing a dress size with each ten pounds lost is a joke.

It is frustrating to go out with these thin types who eat larger meals than I do but never gain. When my niece and I go on vacation, she eats more than I do but I gain and she doesn't and we usually order about the same thing. I can maintain on around 1700 calories a day or so the calculators say but experience says otherwise as 5000 steps a day is considered sedentary.

https://www.10000steps.org.au/articles/counting-steps/

Pam--I definiitely know your frustration. Good luck on your exercise efforts.

My goal weight to be "normal" is 154. My biggest problem is that at my current weight I can eat darned near whatever I want. To get to 154 takes deprivation and to stay there would require lifelong deprivation. I guess I need to somehow stop thinking of it as deprivation but obviously I've had little luck with that. I want to at least get to where the cardiologist wants me and see how that impacts my labwork.
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »

My weight continues to go up. I’ve decided that I need to rejoin the recreation center and try to go at least 3 times a week to walk. They have treadmills and a walking track, as well as all kinds of other cardio equipment, weights, and a large indoor pool. They also have classes. Some of those are free, while others have a fee. It’s free for residents of our city who are over 55. The only drawback is that it is about a 15 minute drive, but that’s really just an obstacle in my head. It’s really not a big deal, or shouldn’t be.

When I finally retire I could go to the senior center, which is either a long walk or a short drive. But they're open banker's hours only so for now it's me, the treadmill and hopefully one of these days free weights.

• KonaKat
    Maryanne--I have read that coffee is dehydrating but somewhere I read the latest research is not proving that. I just know that. Deprivation is fine as long as it is temporary, but there are a few things I like to have occasionally as in once a week.
  • PamS53
    I’m thinking about giving intermittent fasting a try. My sister has been doing well with it. I think she’s lost about 5 pounds on it, even with a trip to Las Vegas. I think the way she does it is to restrict her eating to 8 hours a day, then fasting the remaining 16. I think she also chooses 2 days a week to try to keep to no more than 500 calories, drinking lots of liquids that day. There a several ways to do it, but that’s how she chose to try it.
  • PamS53
    Maryanne--I have read that coffee is dehydrating but somewhere I read the latest research is not proving that. I just know that. Deprivation is fine as long as it is temporary, but there are a few things I like to have occasionally as in once a week.

• mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    I’m thinking about giving intermittent fasting a try. My sister has been doing well with it. I think she’s lost about 5 pounds on it, even with a trip to Las Vegas. I think the way she does it is to restrict her eating to 8 hours a day, then fasting the remaining 16. I think she also chooses 2 days a week to try to keep to no more than 500 calories, drinking lots of liquids that day. There a several ways to do it, but that’s how she chose to try it.

In some ways that's sort of reminiscent of my packet days.
  • mdubbs1
    Washington Post, in an article on Jared Kushner:

He is the living embodiment of football coach Barry Switzer’s scathing quip: “Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple.”
  • KonaKat
    Miracles do happen!! I decided to get on the scales this morning as I was definitely feeling lighter. I am down 5 pounds since January 1. As in the usual practice, I weighed myself again with the same result. What caused it? I know I had to visit the bathroom twice yesterday for a healthy deposit. Now, for another interesting week to see what happens this week.
  • KonaKat
    I need to get down to 163 to get rid of the obese label. That is 7 pounds.