2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,645 Member
    Today is packet day, with one exception. I'm still working on cleaning out the freezer so we've been having frozen dinners all week (and probably all next week although I think by next week I'll be down to the dregs).

We had an electrical failure that impacted the freezer awhile back and I don't want to restock anything until I've cleaned out. I want to get everything down to recently made soup and recent purchases.

But then I look forward to doing orders from NS, Omaha Steaks and Kansas City Steaks.

• PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    We have a birthday party to attend tonight. I always look forward to spending time with this group of friends, but tonight will also be sad due to the absence of our friend who is fighting cancer. She is currently hospitalized due to a severe drop in red blood cells, causing extreme weakness and mental confusion. She was initially admitted to ICU but after several transfusions of whole blood and platelets she was moved to the oncology floor. Her doctors were unsure if this was a reaction to the chemo or if perhaps she was bleeding internally. Further testing and observation should help them figure this out.

Here is the birthday cake I made for the occasion. Strawberry cake, strawberry buttercream, and chocolate covered strawberries on top. I hope everyone likes strawberries, lol!

lcjgj6wsdzwr.jpeg
    i8gn4au2jb05.jpeg

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,829 Member
    Pam, that’s another work of art. I’m sure everyone will love it.
  • mdubbs1
    Pam - wow!!!! That looks wonderful and I'm sure tasted wonderful.
  • mdubbs1
    edited January 2020
    Another 25 minutes on the treadmill last evening.

Another 25 minutes of the James story. All that really happened in the 25 minutes:

He decided since his fund raising for ambulance transport to Houston wasn't working (even Dr. Now's attempts to get his insurance company to pay didn't work) he might as well eat himself to death.

His dad borrowed against his house to hire the ambulance, which was supposed to be safer than transporting him in a moving van. EXCEPT they drove straight through - 16 hours - so how different it was I'm not sure.

When he arrived Dr. Now took one look at him and said you didn't lose the weight you were supposed to lose in the last 4 months. Then he took the "girlfriend" out in the hall and read her the riot act. She hemmed and hawed and finally fell back on if we don't do what he says he'll act out. And Dr. Now says "what can he do - yell?"

I felt a little sorry for her as apparently her first marriage was abusive and I wouldn't want to bet this relationship wasn't before he became bed bound. But Dr. Now is right.

I felt sorry for Dr. Now. What does he do with this guy now???? Especially if there's no medical reason to hospitalize him.

Which made me wonder if patients not already in touch with him/the show ever just show up at the Houston hospital.

Which made me wonder how the hospital feels about all this.

Yeah, deep thought, I know. LOL!!
  • mdubbs1
    Good email today. I know for me, sticking to the diet today, my next big test would typically be March, when I tend to plan a big week long food fest, with all the foods I've been missing. If I can skip that, I'll know I'm committed, not just interest ---from Linda Spangle ---

Interested or committed?

Debbie was discouraged. “Whenever I start a new diet, I’m so determined to stay on it until I reach my goal. But after just a few weeks, something comes up—a party, someone’s birthday—and next thing I know, I slip off my plan and give up.”

Do you feel totally determined to stick with your efforts, or do you entertain a few nagging thoughts about “having fun” instead of staying on your plan? If you tend to start and stop every time you diet, you may want to look at the difference between being interested and being committed.

Interest slips away quickly

With interested, you tend to stay with your plans only until something better comes along. For example, you may decide that you’re interested in losing weight, but when someone brings doughnuts to work, you quickly go off your diet.

When you’re just interested in dieting, you depend on seeing results to keep you on target. So, as long as the scale keeps moving, you stay motivated. But if you hit a plateau or you don’t see much progress for a few weeks, you may throw your program out the window.

Then, when you struggle, you blame everyone but yourself. You accuse your friends of ruining your diet because they eat potato chips in front of you. In addition, you fall into “if only” thinking, saying things like, “If only I had more time, more money, a new job, or a supportive spouse, then I’d be able to stay on my plan.”

Committed means “no matter what!”

When you’re truly committed to achieving your goals, you have an entirely different outlook. Unlike being interested, where it doesn’t take much to detract you from your goals, being committed means you stick with it, no matter what.

Rather than depending on results to help you stay on track, you work on keeping your motivation strong, knowing that results will follow. You don’t blame circumstances or other people for your struggles. Instead, you stay on your diet in spite of not having enough money, time, or supportive friends and family members.

Look carefully at your current efforts. If you tend to easily fall away from your weight-loss plan, decide if you’re taking the interested approach. If so, strive for being committed instead. Start adopting a “no matter what” attitude, then convince yourself you can stay with your goals regardless of your daily challenges.

Today
    Decide that you will always be committed to your weight-loss plan, not just interested.

In your notebook, describe how you will stick with your program, no matter what.

Do at least one thing today that demonstrates you are truly committed. For example, take a walk or eat your vegetables—no matter what.
  • mdubbs1
    I have SO been there ---

z45ud859tbon.png
  • Helene610
    Spangle’s post is interesting but it seems all or nothing to me. There’s a whole area between those options. I like the psychological approach of Noom. There are no good or bad foods. Occasionally having a higher calorie food doesn’t necessarily mean you’re on the slippery slope. I went to an Volunteer appreciation Event. I had a glass of wine and then decided to switch to Diet Coke. I enjoyed the wine but didn’t feel the need for a second one. I sampled the appetizers and socialized. I was up a couple of tenths of a pound the next day but I’m several tenths down today. It’s about living and learning better habits. I’m more aware of the types of foods I pick now. I used to eat too many fats like cheese and peanut butter. I still eat them in moderation. Noom suggests under 300 hundred calories of fat a day. At the start, I was way above that. Usually, I’m now between 150-200 calories so I’m not depriving myself. And sometimes I’m above 300 but it’s the exception not the rule. It’s given me more self awareness of what I do. It isn’t for everyone but I finally feel like I found something I can work for life. And Noom expects you to leave them at some point the skills you learned will stay with you.

There was. Lot I liked about NS but I didn’t learn how to do things on my own. I stayed too long until I got bored with the food but I didn’t learn how to make good choices with regular food.
  • Helene610
    mdubbs1 wrote: »
    I have SO been there ---

z45ud859tbon.png
    Ouch!
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    I wrote a post this morning and believe I hit "post reply." I guess I didn't as it isn't showing up. I'll not repost the whole things.

Pam--That birthday cake is fabulous; an artist at work!! I would hate to eat it and destroy it.

Helene--I know it looks as if Spangle advocates what appears to be an "all or nothing" approach, she does say that if one wants to eat something not regularly on the program that the first 5 bites satisfy the taste buds and anything after that does not impact the taste budIs for sastisfaction; therefore, limit consumption of items not on the program to five bites.

Maryanne--I love the artist pics. I have an artist in my house.
  • mdubbs1
    KonaKat wrote: »
    I wrote a post this morning and believe I hit "post reply." I guess I didn't as it isn't showing up. I'll not repost the whole things.

Pam--That birthday cake is fabulous; an artist at work!! I would hate to eat it and destroy it.

Helene--I know it looks as if Spangle advocates what appears to be an "all or nothing" approach, she does say that if one wants to eat something not regularly on the program that the first 5 bites satisfy the taste buds and anything after that does not impact the taste budIs for sastisfaction; therefore, limit consumption of items not on the program to five bites.

Maryanne--I love the artist pics. I have an artist in my house.

• mdubbs1
    edited January 2020
    I finally have working replacement headphones for my tablet so I can once again watch something on the treadmill without bugging DH.

I think maybe I'm tired of my salad dressing, and that's what's making me turn to other things for lunch, so I stood in the supermarket aisle today and read bottles, looking for something different. Finally settled on balsamic vinaigrette - 60 calories for 2 tablespoons. About what my packets of FF dressing are.

In cleaning up the freezer I'm really going down memory lane - eating the last of the NS french toast (which really was outstanding) and the last of the NS soft pretzels (the last savory frozen snack item; there are none today).
  • mdubbs1
    The new Biggest Loser starts Tuesday. Odd - it's like an hour and 20 minutes long or something like that and they're showing it twice back to back. BUT it's up against my favorite Tuesday night shows. No room on the DVR. I see it's showing again late Friday night. So either it will be available on Amazon and I'll be able to watch on my tablet or I'll DVR the Friday night version.
  • KonaKat
    I'm looking forward to seeing the Biggest Loser. Right now, I can't think of anything on Tuesday that I would miss. I stream Netflix, Hulu, and Prime more than I watch regular TV.

I went over 10,000 steps today. Last week, I exercised 6 days for a total of 6 hours and 20 minutes. I love data and tracking things

jsawgxfse7sd.png

FitBit is replacing my Charge 3. The data quit showing up on the screen but would still transmit all the data to the app. I like to use it to monitor my heart rate so being able to look at my wrist and read the info is important. It was still under warranty. I had tried all the rebooting tricks with no success.
  • mdubbs1
    I'm looking forward to seeing the Biggest Loser. Right now, I can't think of anything on Tuesday that I would miss. I stream Netflix, Hulu, and Prime more than I watch regular TV.

I went over 10,000 steps today. Last week, I exercised 6 days for a total of 6 hours and 20 minutes. I love data and tracking things

jsawgxfse7sd.png

FitBit is replacing my Charge 3. The data quit showing up on the screen but would still transmit all the data to the app. I like to use it to monitor my heart rate so being able to look at my wrist and read the info is important. It was still under warranty. I had tried all the rebooting tricks with no success.

Good job on the steps!!!!
  • KonaKat
    Maryanne--FitBit has a little reminder system should one want to use it. Basically, any hour that you have not gotten in 250 steps by everyday effort, it can remind you to get up and walk to get at least 250 steps in. At 10 hours in a day, that comes to 2500 steps with little effort. Make it 500 steps an hour, in 10 hours you would get 5000 steps in ten hours.
  • mdubbs1
    Maryanne--FitBit has a little reminder system should one want to use it. Basically, any hour that you have not gotten in 250 steps by everyday effort, it can remind you to get up and walk to get at least 250 steps in. At 10 hours in a day, that comes to 2500 steps with little effort. Make it 500 steps an hour, in 10 hours you would get 5000 steps in ten hours.

• Helene610
    10,000 steps is amazing. Great job!
  • mdubbs1
    I lost 3 pounds last week.

lshi4yaaa1gp.png
  • Helene610
    That’s great. I guess treadmill and packets is a winning combo. Congrats.