2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    Helene610 wrote: »
    Did you have to draw him a map? His grocery store unfamiliarity is hilarious.

I did a map with words "the meat counter, bakery and deli are against the back wall; between that and there the aisles start, that's where the standalone freezer cases are". I said that's probably where the turkeys would be. (At least other then the organic turkeys and let's not confuse the man who wants a butterball after all.)
  • mdubbs1
    He is a little more familiar than he would have been if he hadn't had to take me after I broke my wrist. Only that one store though. He knows nada about the other chains.
  • mdubbs1
    From the Post:

Coronavirus cases are now climbing in Canada. Officials at multiple levels are pointing to Thanksgiving as the culprit, which could be a cautionary tale for the United States. Before the Oct. 12 holiday, officials recommended that people curtail their plans. It's not clear how much that advice was heeded, given the new spike in cases. Officials here are issuing similar warnings as Thanksgiving approaches in the U.S.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    We get grocery store ads in the mail every Tuesday and I noticed in today’s ads that turkeys were listed. Butterballs were about 30 cents per pound higher than other brands.
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,829 Member
    One of our local markets offers pre-cooked Thanksgiving dinners. I’ve ordered from them in the past. If they offer it this year, that’s what I’m doing. They cook a turkey breast, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans, cranberry sauce, gravy, rolls and a pie. We’ll stay home and have dinner for 2. I don’t know if the NJ relatives will get together but if so, we’ll skip it.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    One of our local markets offers pre-cooked Thanksgiving dinners. I’ve ordered from them in the past. If they offer it this year, that’s what I’m doing. They cook a turkey breast, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans, cranberry sauce, gravy, rolls and a pie. We’ll stay home and have dinner for 2. I don’t know if the NJ relatives will get together but if so, we’ll skip it.

I could probably order a cooked turkey online but I've always thought that the turkey was the easy part. And of course since I use stuff like boxed stuffing the rest of the dinner isn't all that hard. My biggest challenge is getting everything ready at the same time.
  • mdubbs1
    When each state will count ballots:

https://twitter.com/i/events/1321203532364685313
  • mdubbs1
    This morning DH went to the store at 4 am to go to the pharmacy. As instructed he looked for turkeys. When he didn't find any, he asked and was told "they aren't in yet".

Now the plot thickens.

While discussing this, he mentions he's "read about Butterballs" and I'm like "say what?" I thought you somehow "remembered" you liked them?

Awhile later:

Suddenly I'm getting emailed an article about how badly Butterball treats turkeys and now we're not to get a Butterball turkey.

I'm just rolling my eyes at this point and trying not to laugh out loud.

(I think we actually had a Nature's Promise turkey last year which is Giant Food's organize brand.)

• Helene610
    Our chain is called Stop & Shop. They’re related to Giant. Nature’s Promise is the rebrand too.
  • Helene610
    That post was supposed to say store brand, not rebrand.
  • mdubbs1
    ctdrtd8dbbyn.png
  • mdubbs1
    7pcx3ka1brfw.png
  • Helene610
    That kitty is doing my version of sit-ups. If I had short legs like hat, it would be a piece of cake.
  • mdubbs1
    This voter suppression stuff is horrible. I'm thinking heads should roll or at least people should go to jail.

I drove our ballots to the post office (rather than putting them in our mailbox) on October 10. I just today (October 29) got an email that it arrived. They sure succeeded in screwing up the mail.

And of course that's minor stuff compared to armed men showing up to "observe" or people taping folks who are voting.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    I'm not worrying about Thanksgiving or Christmas. I treat them like another day. As long as I have pumpkin pie in November, I am satisfied.
  • PamS53
    We are going to my sister’s home for Thanksgiving. We will be staying in a hotel for 2 nights, but will really only sleep there. I know my sister and all who will be there are being very careful and we are being very cautious, so hopefully all will be ok. DH’s sister invited us to come there, but I know that her son and his family are not being very cautious at all, so we declined. They are even planning to have their annual Friendsgiving party the weekend before with a large group of their friends. I don’t want to be with them right after they host a superspreader event.

I saw the neurologist this morning about the pains I was having last week. She confirmed Maryanne’s diagnosis of occipital neuralgia. The good news is that it is not a precursor to anything more serious, but the bad news is that I will likely have more episodes like it. If or when it occurs again I can call in or email through their portal and she will order a prescription for me that should help calm the nerves down without requiring me to come back in to see her.
  • Helene610
    Pam, that’s good you have a diagnosis. I’m surprised the neurologist didn’t give you a prescription to have on hand for when it happens again. I’m glad you’re skipping visiting SIL’s gathering. Hosting a Friendsgiving sounds like a disaster in the making. What a way to show your friendship. Invite them to a super spreader event. I hope we’re wrong but I wouldn’t come to something like that.
  • PamS53
    Helene, the doctor offered to give me the prescription today, but since there is no way to predict when or even if it will recur, it seemed better to wait and request when the need arises.

My SIL is fairly cautious in her behaviors, but her son and his family are the ones who don’t seem to give it much thought. I find that surprising, since his wife is a nurse, currently working on acquiring her PhD in nursing, so she’s obviously very smart. It’s the son and family who are hosting the Friendsgiving party. I doubt my SIL will attend, though she might.
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »

I saw the neurologist this morning about the pains I was having last week. She confirmed Maryanne’s diagnosis of occipital neuralgia. The good news is that it is not a precursor to anything more serious, but the bad news is that I will likely have more episodes like it. If or when it occurs again I can call in or email through their portal and she will order a prescription for me that should help calm the nerves down without requiring me to come back in to see her.

Well, maybe I should hang out my shingle. Have google, will treat!

That's great that she'll do a prescription in the future without more visits!! (But a shame you might need it.)
  • Helene610
    Pam, I saw a report on the news that early voting and mail in ballots returned so far in TX equals 95% of the total votes cast in 2016. That’s amazing. They also showed New Yorkers waiting in lines 2 blocks long in the rain so they could vote. Both things are wonderful and encouraging for the nation.