2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,829 Member
    PamS53 wrote: »
    Helene, the doctor offered to give me the prescription today, but since there is no way to predict when or even if it will recur, it seemed better to wait and request when the need arises.

My SIL is fairly cautious in her behaviors, but her son and his family are the ones who don’t seem to give it much thought. I find that surprising, since his wife is a nurse, currently working on acquiring her PhD in nursing, so she’s obviously very smart. It’s the son and family who are hosting the Friendsgiving party. I doubt my SIL will attend, though she might.
    Your nephew’s wife is a good example of education and intelligence not necessarily equaling common sense. I hope very few people show up for their party.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,645 Member
    Helene610 wrote: »
    Pam, I saw a report on the news that early voting and mail in ballots returned so far in TX equals 95% of the total votes cast in 2016. That’s amazing. They also showed New Yorkers waiting in lines 2 blocks long in the rain so they could vote. Both things are wonderful and encouraging for the nation.

As long as they aren't out there because they want to make sure the cheeto wins......I'm so full of good cheer these days.....not.......
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    Texas could possibly turn blue for the first time since Jimmy Carter’s election. I am thrilled to see such a high turnout in our state, and much of it is driven by voters under the age of 30, who I believe are likely voting for Biden/Harris. Today is the last day of early voting. It also helped that the state extended early voting by a week, and made it possible to vote on some Saturdays and Sundays during that period. We also have a closely contested senatorial race and I am crossing all my fingers and toes for the democratic challenger in that one.
  • mdubbs1
    Message from our governor:

Dear Marylanders,

With Halloween weekend approaching, it is critically important that all Marylanders remain vigilant in our fight against COVID-19. While we tend to feel safe around family, friends, and neighbors, we cannot let our guard down—especially with health metrics continuing to spike in other states across the nation.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends several basic steps to protect yourself and others this Halloween:

Avoid direct contact with trick-or-treaters
    Give out treats outdoors
    Set up a station with individually bagged treats for children to take
    Wash hands before handling treats, and bring hand sanitizer with you
    Make your cloth mask part of your costume
    Stay at least six feet away from others who do not live with you
    Following these simple public health guidelines will help us slow the spread, prevent the surge, and keep Maryland open for business.

Let’s look out for each other as we celebrate this year.

Sincerely,

<signature>
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    Texas could possibly turn blue for the first time since Jimmy Carter’s election. I am thrilled to see such a high turnout in our state, and much of it is driven by voters under the age of 30, who I believe are likely voting for Biden/Harris. Today is the last day of early voting. It also helped that the state extended early voting by a week, and made it possible to vote on some Saturdays and Sundays during that period. We also have a closely contested senatorial race and I am crossing all my fingers and toes for the democratic challenger in that one.

From your lips to .................
  • mdubbs1
    I just did online "chat" about missing packages with walmart and cheryl's cookies. I am stunned at how much better the experience was with walmart.
  • mdubbs1
    Skeletons for Halloween? The dancing puppets are wild. (I'm a sucker for the beat, too)

https://youtu.be/MvaXV3Q6pN0
  • mdubbs1
  • mdubbs1
    owm622ek15gu.png
  • mdubbs1
    co5d6hr031gu.png
  • mdubbs1
    edited October 2020
    Another sad story about someone excited to vote in the election who died before election day. Story has a link to an article about which states pitch such ballots.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/resizer/b26tKHyWDKlYxjVvPUoWALSbFlQ=/1800x0/filters:quality(100)/arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost/public/UZNIMUB6FRA2NAFTXFNWXOEDJ4.png?imwidth=1800
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    I can remember when there were several candidates for the office of President and the nominating conventions produced the one for each party that survived the process. Now, the conventions just rubber stamp the person who apparently is the only one the party wants. It was an exciting time. I go back to the time of Huntley and Brinkley who excelled at covering these conventions. Why can't we produce several viable candidates for each party as we once did?
  • Helene610
    I remember watching those conventions. There was real anticipation and excitement then. Now, everything is decided long before they get to a convention. I read an article about a 99 year old woman voting for the first time. Her reason for never voting before was she was home raising her kids. I’m sure she could have started voting forty years ago. By then, her kids were probably parents themselves. I was most surprised when she said she voted for Trump because he’d done a good job. Go figure.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    I don’t really see the point of the conventions nowadays. The ticket is decided beforehand, and if there is a platform the candidate is running on, that is typically already decided as well. It really seems to be just an opportunity for the candidates and their families to be showcased by some of their more prominent supporters. A big waste of time and money, IMO. The republicans didn’t even bother to come up with a platform this year.

I would like to see both parties reform the process by which the candidate is selected. This year was ridiculous with so many initially running for the Democratic nomination, many of whom had absolutely no chance at all of securing it. They were just a distraction and made the debates so unwieldy that they were hard to watch and gain any useful information about the candidates who actually did have a chance. I would also love to see a return to the days where the candidates talk about what they want to do for the country instead of only talking about how terrible the other candidate is. I can’t wait to see the last of all the campaign ads and mail.

I had a lovely lunch today with my good friends from grad school. I was scrambling yesterday to figure out where to go because the restaurant I had previously chosen was given very bad reviews by 3 of my friends. In the end I chose a restaurant in a new hotel and it turned out to be a great choice. We all enjoyed our meals and the ambiance was great. They had a large patio, but in the end we opted to stay inside as the restaurant was not at all crowded. I think there were no other diners within 20 feet of us. Then I came home and helped DH prepare some treat bags to give out to trick or treaters. We had around 50, I think. DH sat outside at a table and just laid the bags out on the table for the kids to take. After he came inside we had 1 other group that came to the door and I just dropped the bags into each of their baskets or pumpkins, etc.
  • Helene610
    I agree that the conventions just seem to be an excuse to get together and party. Nothing useful comes out of them. I saw on the news that a group of TX politicians are sewing to throw out the votes of those who used drive thru voting. What a desperate, despicable move on their part. Plus the waited until just before the election to file their suit. They had no objections to the method months ago during the primary. I hope people remember who is trying to invalidate their votes.

We had no trick or treaters again this year. I didn’t even buy any candy because I knew I’d be the one eating it.
  • mdubbs1
    Our furnace went out yesterday. DH fixed it with a part he had here but that only lasted a couple hours and then his know how ran out. Luckily we enough oil filled space heaters to have one on each floor. We're waiting for BGEHome but of course if they need to order a part it will be a couple days. Luckily the week is supposed to get warmer not colder.

I went for a mammogram and bone density test this morning. Mammogram went fine. Bone density got cancelled because I took calcium. I wonder why they didn't remind me of that when I made the appointment. After they said it, it rang a distant bell in the back of my head.

I've just started refusing to read anything about the election. I've done what I can.

A friend who can't see in the dark (she needs cataract surgery) went to vote early in the pre daylight in the rain and rain into a guardrail. That's devotion to your civil duty!

I'm spending a LOT of time reminding myself we actually have it good!
  • mdubbs1
    Well, turns out DH actually fixed the furnace yesterday. It just needed time to charge (or something). He was teasing the technician (he always "helps"/hovers) about how he was going to write up the 3 minutes he was here.
  • mdubbs1
    Well, the furnace has died again and now they can't come until Thursday and then if they have to order a part it could be next week. Thank goodness for space heaters and the fact that every day in the next week is supposed to be warmer than the one before.
  • mdubbs1
    zgrsiejpyjuc.png