Morena's accountability and "just talking to myself here" thread

Options
Morena_2020
Morena_2020 Posts: 212 Member
So here I am. I have been a curvy girl all my life, and fine and confident with it since I hit 35, but over the past 13 years I've put on massive amounts of weight and am now obese. Phew. Just typing that out is a slap upside the head. It's been a combination of my life changing drastically from active to desk job, not really paying attention to myself, and let's face it, becoming a bit of a bon vivant. I am now the biggest that I have ever been, and the biggest I ever thought I'd be. And I know my health it at risk, particularly since due to an injury about 18 months ago I haven't been able to exercise.

These past couple of years, however, I've attempted changing things. I tried 5:2, which was successful up to a point: I lost a bunch of weight and then plateaued for what seemed like forever, and I gave up. Last year I also did what I thought I'd never do again and went low carb; I lost weight steadily and it helped my IBS but it just wasn't sustainable for me. (Days and weeks at a time, yes, but not over the long term that this amount of weight loss is going to require.)

Here's where the last couple of attempts have been useful, though: 5:2 taught me to fast, particularly since I was saving up my calories in order to have a relatively regular meal with the family. And my low-carb attempt almost cured my sugar cravings. Make no mistake: I love sweets, but I'm not addicted to them as I used to be, and I'm fine without them.

This is my sixth day on OMAD, and whoa - easy, doable, flexible, all of it. Everything I've been hoping for, in fact, and everything I've read tells me it's not one of those too-good-to-be-true things.

What do I weigh? Dunno. I have a very, VERY unhealthy relationship with the scales, to the point where stepping on them will trigger anxiety (you can chalk that up to my teenage years when I wasn't fine and confident about being curvy) , and although I know I will have to confront this at some point, that's not the priority. The priority is getting smaller. To that end, here comes the tape measure to the rescue!

HEIGHT: 165cm

MEASUREMENTS (as of today, not as of last Monday when I started OMAD)

B: 121cm
W: 115cm
H: 142cm

I'm taking Joe's advice and setting myself milestone goals, so my first goal is B: 116cm, W: 94cm, H: 126cm.

If you've read this far, thank you, and if you haven't, that's OK - just talking to myself here!

Replies

• Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Welcome Morena :) Keep it simple, eat your one meal a day and drink lots and lots of water. You got this!!! :)
  • Morena_2020
    Options
    Thanks so much, Brenda!
  • Morena_2020
    Options
    Dinner 18/1/2020:

- Pasta bolognaise
    - Salad
    - Melon slice
    - 6 fresh lychees
  • jadepearl
    jadepearl Posts: 3,113 Member
    Options
    Hi there and a warm welcome😊 You can do this👍
  • LadyBlanks
    LadyBlanks Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Hello Morena and welcome. OMAD is very doable and it definitely works. We are here for you and you won’t be talking to yourself here. This is a great group. So here’s to your success.
  • Morena_2020
    Options
    Thanks so much, ladies! So happy to be here.
  • Morena_2020
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Today was the day I was waiting for: no hunger pangs! Absolutely fine all day until about 5pm, and even then they were manageable.

Cooked a feast for Sunday dinner. I’m bursting at the seams and I STILL didn’t get all my calories in!

- Oyakodon and rice
    - Small servings of side dishes: kimchi pancake, shantung sweet potatoes, sambal eggplant
    - Small scoop chocolate ice cream and 10 fresh cherries
  • LadyBlanks
    LadyBlanks Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Hello Morena, great report. Your meal sounds good but I am not aware of what some of those dishes are. If you could take pictures of your meals, a visual would be wonderful.
  • Morena_2020
    Options
    Sure thing - that’s an even better way to be accountable.
  • Morena_2020
    Options
    Had a bit of a tough time today. Read somewhere that drinking apple cider vinegar helps weight loss, and I decided to do it on an empty stomach, COMPLETELY FORGETTING THAT I CAN’T DO VINEGARY THINGS ON AN EMPTY STOMACH. Oyyy... the nausea, the cramps. They were gone in an hour, but lesson learned: be gentle with the tummy while fasting!

So, dinner. Sausage and peppers, salad. Not pictured: a little fruit salad. I couldn’t finish! Soooooo full.

y3m2gh3ijn0b.jpeg
  • jadepearl
    jadepearl Posts: 3,113 Member
    Options
    OMG, salivating here...delicious <3
    Oyakodon and rice, kimchi pancake, shantung sweet potatoes, sambal eggplant..my cup of tea <3
    I can't take apple cider as it gives me cramps. Tried it before but after so many issues, I decided to stop :)
    Keep up the good work..we are here for ya! <3
  • volgirl1322
    volgirl1322 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Welcome Welcome to the OMAD "fam" loved your food pics, totally amazing!
    So glad you are here and that you are sharing your journey with us. If you read any of our posts, we are all real people that aren't perfect in any way ---but we are all doing our best to find our healthy place.....one meal at a time :)

Can't wait to read more!

D
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! Your meals sounds amazing!!! And LOOK great!!! Welcome to our OMAD family, we're a supportive group!!! Let us know how we can help!!!
  • Morena_2020
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, and thank you! Everyone here is already my hero, and I feel so lucky to be among you all.

And yeah... the food. I love to cook and we love to eat! It’s one of the reasons we’re (hubby joined me yesterday and I’m STOKED) doing OMAD - the freedom to enjoy a delicious dinner as a family or go out.
    jadepearl wrote: »
    I can't take apple cider as it gives me cramps. Tried it before but after so many issues, I decided to stop :)
    Keep up the good work..we are here for ya! <3

Glad I’m not the only one. Seriously it was the one negative in eight days of OMADing.
  • Morena_2020
    Options
    Just a quickie because it’s getting late and I’m wiped out!

Date night with hubby so it was a bit of an indulgence but still - not too calorific and this level of flexibility is why I’m doing OMAD.

I smashed:

- A bowl of ramen
    - A little agedashi-tofu
    - A couple of gyoza
    - A choc-top ice cream at the cinema!

And... somehow managed to eat it in just over an hour! 😄

97b1tlv7g18r.jpeg
  • Morena_2020
    Options
    Heh. Just added it all up because it was such a feast and I was curious to see how much I’d gone over... it came to about 1200 calories. 😳
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    A bit late but... Welcome!!
    Sounds like you're doing amazing so far :)
    Those food pics and all your meals so far sound amazing! Yuuuuuuuum
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is NOTHING!!! I can lose consistently at like 1500 a day! You're doin' AMAZING!!! Remind me how tall you are? I'm in the US and too lazy to convert to cms so if you could tell me in dumb-a** non-metric that'd be greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeat ;):kissing_heart:
  • volgirl1322
    volgirl1322 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    The meal looks amazing.....

1200 is nothing so you are doing awesome!!!
  • Morena_2020
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I feel so great! And so positive! Particularly now that hubby’s joined me.

Re: the meal - I’m a little stunned, tbh. Because that was dinner, but what about the times I was eating a similar amount of calories three times a day PLUS snacks? Lots of factors got me to this weight but this one has been like a massive, massive penny dropping.
    Remind me how tall you are? I'm in the US and too lazy to convert to cms so if you could tell me in dumb-a** non-metric that'd be greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeat ;):kissing_heart:

1.65m is like 5.4, almost 5.5. Hope that’s right!