Replies

• tryingagain5
    tryingagain5 Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Tuesday 9/8 and Wednesday 9/9 check in
    Food: good
    Water: 32 oz
    Exercise: none

Didn't sleep well either day.😥 I didn't really do much on Tuesday, sleep ( sort of) after work, got up and must have done a few things. Couldn't have been too exciting since I don't remember what I did. When did I get old. 🤔 I'm only 51, I shouldn't be having that problem yet. I'm going to blame lack of sleep!🤣 I slept again for a short time and then went into work early.

My route to and from work goes past my gym. It was so nice to see the sign lit up, the lights on and cars in the parking lot. Can't wait until tomorrow when I plan on going.

Wednesday: slept, went to church to help out with updating the directory, then went home and ate supper and took a nap before work. I must have slept pretty hard because when the alarm went off, I was a little confused, didn't know what time it was, what day it was or where I was. I was so hoping I could go back to sleep but realized I really needed to get up and go to work.

I"ll see I missed a lot. I'll try and catch up later.
  • 1theresamcvean
    1theresamcvean Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Tuesday 9/8 and Wednesday 9/9 check in
    Food: good
    Water: 32 oz
    Exercise: none

Didn't sleep well either day.😥 I didn't really do much on Tuesday, sleep ( sort of) after work, got up and must have done a few things. Couldn't have been too exciting since I don't remember what I did. When did I get old. 🤔 I'm only 51, I shouldn't be having that problem yet. I'm going to blame lack of sleep!🤣 I slept again for a short time and then went into work early.

My route to and from work goes past my gym. It was so nice to see the sign lit up, the lights on and cars in the parking lot. Can't wait until tomorrow when I plan on going.

Wednesday: slept, went to church to help out with updating the directory, then went home and ate supper and took a nap before work. I must have slept pretty hard because when the alarm went off, I was a little confused, didn't know what time it was, what day it was or where I was. I was so hoping I could go back to sleep but realized I really needed to get up and go to work.

I"ll see I missed a lot. I'll try and catch up later.

Linda, I’m so sorry to hear about the sleep confusion and so happy you saw your gym lit up. That’s such a great thing to look forward to and going back to the gym will help you be more resilient to shift work. Hang in there!
  • debbiewsharpe
    debbiewsharpe Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Yay, I posted my first picture. I am still learning how to use this site. Yesterday we had over 4 inches of rain and I managed to get over 20,000 steps while taking 10 minute walks between showers, on the phone and watching TV. It is supposed to be rainy all week so I will be inside a lot. I will go for my short 10 minute walks between showers. I weighed a little less yesterday and today. I hope that I can consistently keep myself under my magic number. BAKING: I have not baked anything yet but my husband wanted cookies last night. They are just the Pillsbury take and bake kind so I gave him directions on how to do it (DUH). He did manage it and said that he could do that again without my help. Not so sure that is a good thing. I do plan to bake a cake or pie soon. I haven't rewarded myself yet. I have a plan to let that be an occasional treat and not an everyday occurrence. Wishing you all a great day. As the quote above states, I have a plan not a wish.

@ 1theresamcvean (Theresa)
    weight really does not matter as much as how your body is changing, you are doing great.

@ annliz23 (Ann) Love the picture of the dogs and I am assuming this is your little one, such a cutie.

@ cafelelia (Lisa) School is so different this year. I substitute so I am no longer needed during our remote learning. Sorry that recess was a disaster, that should be a fun time. They should have had activities planned inside their space. I am also praying for a better day each day for all our parents, students and teachers.

@ Freeglerock (Lisa) Good on getting your miles in and a great plan going forward. I wish you well. I need to remember the no eating after 9:00. Thanks for the hint. You didn't reach all the goals but you are holding yourself accountable, that is a win. Maybe after back to school gets better things will develop a more normal routine. That is, if there every will be a normal again. Prayers!

@ mainebeachbum (Stephanie) Impressive, marching in place until you reach your goal. This shows your determination and dedication.

@ melaniedscott (Melanie) I so understand "forgetting" especially with the scales.

@ Melzz19 (Metz) You job is so interesting, love all the walking and being outside. Sounds like you will need to bundle up soon.

@ minstrelofsarcasm (Ashley)
    interesting read on re composition, think I will Google it and read more

@ Sleepymom5 (Pam)
    Good start to the week getting back on track. Your step totals are all caught up, good job. You can do this!

@ tryingagain5 (Linda) Sounds like you are getting it all together, good luck. I hope that you can get your sleep back on schedule. Looking forward to hearing how your trip to the gym goes.

KEEP ON KEEPING ON........
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    melaniedscott
    Week 2
    PW: ? 211?
    CW: 213
    +2
    I DON'T remember last week! Argh! And apparently did not write it down on my chart. The holiday weekend threw me off and I am still having stupid vertigo issues and I'm out of coffee and...grrr. It is all excuses. I need to stop making excuses.

So, as I mentioned, lots of vertigo. Three super severe bouts in two weeks. And the generalized, I'm dizzy and off balance the rest of the time. And my ENT seems supremely disinterested. He is very interested in running expensive tests that tell him the same thing I already said and getting paid but proposes 0 possible diagnosis and no recommendations for improvement. And they were supposed to be scheduling me for an MRI (see, expensive tests) this weeks but they can't seem to even use the phone to return my calls. Do I sound angry? Because I am. Two steps away from finding a new ENT and transferring my records (assuming there is anything there)

I'm with whoever said the pounds come off slow and hard but leap back on the second you eat a cookie. Or...peanut M & M's.

My goal right now is to be 200 or less by Thanksgiving. Period. I need more exercise (complicated by vertigo...maybe I should spin in circles, then my dizziness would make sense). But mostly, I need to manage what I eat. I'll do well for a few days and then I eat everything. I have to be consistent about control. The past couple lunches have been fresh veg and fruit but today is leftover pizza, so I must stay on top of it.

@GingerPwr The only GF recipe I have is super evil brownies...so I won't pass it along. And, to be fair, when I pulled it off the Bon Appeit website, it wasn't GF. I just used GF flour and it worked. I've made GF fruit crisps but don't do a lot of GF, just when I have GF company.

@minstralofsarcasm congrats on passing the test! That gets your foot in the door!
  • brown6267
    brown6267 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    09/09 steps 13092
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    minstrelofsarcasm
    September Week Two

Weigh In Day: Thursdays
    PW (Previous Weight): 163.4 (September 3rd)
    CW (Current Weight): 164.4 (September 10th)
    LTD (Loss to Date): 69.6 lbs

A 1 lb gain? I expected more, actually. My weigh in last week was when I was severely dehydrated, so I figured this week would be a bounce back up towards 166, since I refuse to intentionally dehydrate myself just for a weigh in. Although, admittedly, I did cheat a little bit, since I forgot to weigh in before I went to the gym, so this is a post-gym weight. I'll weigh myself again tomorrow morning to confirm I'm on the right track. Or maybe I just won't weigh in again until next week and enjoy this sub-165 weight while it lasts...

Food: I was off my game this past week. Stress eating took more control of my days than I'd like to admit, and having cookies in my kitchen is so dangerous... I have five left, and I'm bringing them to lunch and pawning them off on my friends :wink:

Exercise: I think I'm subconsciously attempting to show the spin studio what they're missing out on. I've done 8 classes since my last weigh-in, and very consistently performing well, according to the data the cycle studio sends after each class. I've ridden at least one class every day since... last Thursday. My foam roller is being abused. I'm intending to take Sunday off, but who knows?

Goals for the Coming Week:
    • Staying hydrated, even if that means my weight will increase again
    • Giving my body at least one rest day, even if my subconscious wants me to go spin away my stress
    • Going for a long walk while it's still sunny outside - the walk to the farmer's market is lovely
    • Trying the new pineapple sorbet the ice cream place around the street just announced
    • Cleaning every (ahem) gosh darned cookie crumb the (ahem) heck out of my kitchen
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    @annliz23 -
    LOVE that picture of your dogs! They look so well behaved!

@tryingagain5 -
    I'm always surprised by how much sleep really affects us on a day-to-day basis. Hope your sleeping issues are resolved soon!

@Freeglerock -
    The first step to fixing any problem is recognizing it! Back to school is stressful enough during normal times, but now?? Now it's insane. Kudos to you for not burning down any buildings while dealing with all of that. I can't even imagine having kiddos running around while all of this chaos is going on. One off day isn't going to ruin you, just have to get back on the wagon little by little and you'll be back on top again!

@debbiewsharpe -
    If you have any questions on things you find regarding recomposition, I'd be glad to offer up my scientific services! Somedays, I miss when I was a TA for organic chemistry and got to talk nerdy to people all day :smiley:

@melaniedscott -
    Vertigo is a valid excuse, trust me. I definitely think a new ENT is a good idea. You shouldn't be throwing your money at tests that won't provide you with any answers.

Have you tried any floor based exercises? Leg lifts, crunches, supermans, planks... I don't know what does or doesn't trigger your vertigo, but there has to be some set of exercises that don't exacerbate the symptoms, right? I know I did a bunch of sit-ups when I had my first MS flare up and couldn't feel the left side of my body enough to be comfortable at the gym. I hope you find something that works for you - we're here if you need support!
  • 1theresamcvean
    1theresamcvean Posts: 939 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    @melaniedscott Melanie, I took this from a personal trainer's blog and changed the grammar. Based on my own intractable vertigo, this makes sense. My recommendation is walking and weights. I started with 10 and 12 lb dumbells and am moving up to 14 and 16 lbs. It's heavier for lower-body moves. When I don't have vertigo, I like to add Spinning and HIIT back in. Right now, I'm starting to get light vertigo when I roll over in bed so think I may have another bout of it. I'm going to follow this advice.

Working Out with Vertigo

Three things to abide by:
    • Avoid tilting the head.
    • Avoid lying down.
    • Avoid sudden head movements.

If you can’t tilt the head, then deadlifting, inverted rows, planks, bent-over rows, triceps kickbacks, back extensions, and wall push-ups are not an option.

If you can’t lie down, then bench pressing, dead bugs, hip bridges, and most mat exercises are gone.

Finally, if you can’t do sudden movements, then kettlebell swings, snatches, slam balls, and plyometrics are a no-go.

So, what can you do?

Aim to keep your head as vertical as possible throughout the workout. Also avoid exercises where your head is going through a change in elevation, which can aggravate symptoms as well. That means avoiding step-ups, squats, and lunges.

Create a program formed from exercises that involve sitting or standing upright. (I’ve included a list below that will give you somewhat of a foundation for ideas to start off with.) It’s in no way all-inclusive, but it will give you a rough outline of exercises that you can work with.
    • Chest: Chest press, machine/cable pec fly
    • Back: Lat pull-downs, seated cable rows, machine rows, face pulls, straight-arm pull-downs, rear delt fly
    • Quads: Knee raises, some leg press machines
    • Glutes/Hams: Hip abduction machine, donkey kick machine, cable hamstring curl, cable hip abduction, cable hip extension, leg press machines (sometimes)
    • Shoulders: Military press, dumbbell lateral raises, upright rows, cable internal/external rotation
    • Biceps: Seated/standing bicep curls, high pulley curls
    • Triceps: Cable push-downs, seated overhead triceps press
    • Core: Cable anti-rotation, hanging leg raise, Pallof press

When it comes to intensity, the only caveat with intensity is obviously avoiding things that make you dizzy.

If you are feeling a little dizzy and nauseated that day, you may want to ease up a bit and just focus on traditional strength training with non-exacerbating exercises. On the other hand, if you feel fine and want to do a good, hard workout, that’s fine. Just don’t do any of the non-cleared exercises. You can use a recumbent bicycle for sprints, avoid exercises that tilt/move the head, and also move slowly from exercise to exercise.

It’s better to be cautious in this case, and wait another week or so before you build back up to interval training, or harder workouts.

Additionally, you can still go pretty heavy. You can still do the same weights that you're used to (on cleared exercises, of course). You don’t really have to worry about the internal pressure from weightlifting unless your vertigo isn’t posture-related (i.e. cardiac-related). If the vertigo is from anything other than posture, then you’ll need a doctor’s clearance to continue training and know more about the condition.

A typical workout may look something like the below example.
    • 5-10 minute warmup on the stationary bike
    • 3 sets of 10 chest press machine
    • 2 sets of 15 lat pull-down
    • 2 sets of 10 leg press
    • 3 sets of 10 leg extension
    • 3 sets of 10 seated leg curl machine
    • 3 sets of 15 tricep push-downs
    • 3 sets of 10 bicep curls
    • 3 sets of 10 seated row
    • 3 sets of 15 pec fly machine

You can look at any exercise program you've done before, and just take out any exercises that involve any movement or tilting of the head.

Avoid making your vertigo worse

Beware of rapid movement, especially in your peripheral vision. Plus, the motion of your arms moving back and forth really fast can trigger vertigo unexpectedly. Some people can ride while keeping their head pretty still, while others can’t at all.

As a result, try to avoid elliptical-like machines. Likewise, I wouldn’t recommend the rowing machine either, unless you can do it without feeling dizzy (and really want to use it). It’s the same principle for leg press machines. I don’t like using them unless the only moving part is the footplate, not the chair in which you're sitting.

If you aren't feeling well during or after training with you, the first thing I would do is take a solid look at the workout and ask these questions:
    • Is there anything in the workout that could possibly be moving the head?
    • Are you near anything that’s moving really fast?
    • These could easily be the reasons that you're experiencing vertigo symptoms. Remove what you think could be aggravating your vertigo and see how you feel next time.

In short, this is all on a case-by-case basis. Every person with vertigo is different, so exercise caution. At the same time, don’t be afraid to experiment a little bit if you're motivated.

• Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    13ve38t7mwlg.jpeg

FAT 2 FIT
    RECIPE SHARE

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10803881/recipes#latest

This is a reminder that Fat2Fit has a recipe share page. Hop on over and take a look.

Please share your favorite recipe for others to love, too.
  • Cafelelia
    Cafelelia Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Good morning team,
    Yesterday was a good day and I stuck to my food plan, IF, enough water and some exercise. Things were a bit better for my kids, and I hope it improves from here. The tsunami of work and life is fully upon me right now. I am staying focused though, making my plans and sticking to them. There have been a few moments where I am tempted to eat because of stress, but I am trying just to feel the feelings, and then those moments pass. Sorry for not being more interactive this week, and I hope that I can be very soon. Take care everyone!
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    1zhfp4197ffa.png

:star:The Idea Lounge :star: is a place where we can come together to share our creative ideas and give our suggestions on how to make Fat2Fit the best challenge group on My Fitness Pal! B)

Challenges - Why challenges? There is nothing better to help keep the energy and commitment high, and the discouragement and staleness low. They are optional but really helpful. Tell us which ones you like, or what new ideas you'd like to see.

Suggestions - This is wide open! What would make F2F better? What bugs you? What works really well? Take some time to look around on other teams than your own, and if you see something you'd like your team to try, suggest it! Or if you think of ways we can improve communication, reward the right kind of progress, or make the community more welcoming and effective. Spill!

Click the link to share your ideas! The Idea Lounge
  • pacsnc6
    pacsnc6 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    pacsnc6
    Week 2
    Thursday weigh in
    PW 159.8
    CW 159.6

Yay! another small loss!
  • pacsnc6
    pacsnc6 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Today was another treatment day. It went well, had to wait as I spent more time than planned with the doctor and was about 20 min late. Hoping the itching will diminish, the doctor ordered meds for that so I can take less Benadryl. Scan is planned for Occtober 14.
  • tryingagain5
    tryingagain5 Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Thursday 9/10
    Food: haven't had supper yet but doing well today
    Water: 32 oz so far plus planning another 16 oz with supper
    Exercise: 40 minutes

Seems like everyday my body decides I need to be awake between 11:30 and noon. Not sure why. I was able to sleep again but will still need a nap before work.

I went to the gym today. It was great being back. I didn't go too strenuous for the first day back. I did one of my trainer's "easier" workouts, which was about 30 minutes, then I did 10 minutes speed intervals on the treadmill.
  • kandi3570
    kandi3570 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    1177 calories and 12000 steps ladies. I’m on target today. Between work volleyball games cheer practices and this patio I haven’t had time to stop. Cement pour is Saturday. Hopefully there will be a little less stress for awhile. I’ve had to run to a hardware store everyday this week for some little thing. My poor kid. She’s been at the school for 12 hours a day for 2 of her 3 days back. And yesterday she had a game we were at the school for 4 hours. But at least I got to feed her. Today she had to survive on snacks. It’s too much sometimes for both of us. 1 sport at a time is enough. But she said she wanted to finish the season. I’ve always told her if you start it you have to finish it. And I want her to give up cheer because she has volleyball games the same day as football games. So she’s practicing and she’s not going to cheer in a game this year. But I guess I at least taught her to stick to things. Even when it makes us both suffer. 🤪
  • mainebeachbum
    mainebeachbum Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Thursday:
    Steps 8571
    Water 56 oz
    Walk 17 min
    Food not prelogged but off tomorrow

I am surprised how low my steps are today. I was pretty busy and on my feet more than a typical day. Tomorrow the MIL arrives and wedding Saturday so hopefully I remember to check in. I’ll catch up soon with everyone!
This discussion has been closed.