Weight No More - September 2020 Team Chat

Options

Replies

• minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    As for my personal update:

Did I pass the spin instructor audition?
    Absolutely, I did.

Did they hire me?
    No, they did not.

Apparently the few classes that don't fit within my availability are the exact ones the spin studio was hiring for, so they decided to go with the few people who could actually cover those classes. This means that I'm in a weird state of limbo between having passed my audition and them actually needing me. I keep telling myself that during my first audition, I wasn't ready for the instructor bike, and during my second, it wasn't ready for me. Maybe they'll need me, maybe they won't. Either way, I'm proud of myself.

My Labor Day weekend was... quiet. I got caught up on laundry, went to the gym a few times, wandered outside for a bit, and then was stuck inside due to a storm all day yesterday, which resulted in baking a bunch of peanut butter cookies. I ate way too many of them, and feel crazy bloated today, but that's okay. They tasted good, regardless of the effects they had on my body. And there's still a few dozen more just sitting around in my kitchen... which I should probably take to the gym and give to friends if I know what's good for me.
  • Cafelelia
    Cafelelia Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Monday check in
    Yesterday was a good day and the weekend was successful overall from a food perspective. I stayed on plan and exercised. Yesterday, I spent a lot of the day doing food prep for the week, not just for me, but the family as well. It is tiring, but it pays off for the rest of the week. Packing school lunches certainly felt weird. The boys are starting hockey this week too, so that is 3 nights and we will be pressed for time. The kids went back to school today and it all went fine. No lockers this year, so all of the kids are carrying these extra heavy backpacks with the supplies that they need. Fingers crossed that the day goes well for them and the teachers. For the first time in 6 months, it is just me at home this morning. Kids at school and my husband at his office. It feels weird, sad, spooky and great all at the same time. I have to run now and hope that you all have a great day!

@minstrelofsarcasm - Congratulations on passing the audition! I know that you really wanted to instruct and that is too bad about the scheduling issue. You never know if something will come up later. You should be proud of yourself and I am proud of you!

@twyla77 - What a great photo! So cool that you visiting a ranch!
  • Zumba_Luvah
    Zumba_Luvah Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    @slepymom5

Thank you!
  • ljdanny
    ljdanny Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    @mainebeachbum yes i live in new hampshire. we went hiking in moultonborough nh to castle in the clouds. because of my work i can only travel within nh, maine, vermont and Massachusetts, so my vacation and weekends are limited.

@debbiewsharpe good luck on your scan.

@GingerPwr i tried going gluten free once. i have stomach issues, my doctor wasn't very helpful on the situation. it is more expensive and i can say the bread was awful, lol. i have thought of trying it again but haven't rushed back into it.

@minstrelofsarcasm congrats on passing your test. you will get a class before you know it.

today was our first day of transition week, good thing we are not going straight into the school year. it's going to take a lot. we have a lot of new kids and the parents do not always read the news letters that go home so it's making things a little difficult. hopefully this time next week things will be running smoothly. i got more steps today than i did yesterday hiking and i still have zumba tonight.
  • mainebeachbum
    mainebeachbum Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Tuesday check in
    Steps 8130
    Water 56 oz
    Walk only 18 minutes
    Prelogged food for tomorrow yep

Slower day at work so less steps there and continued to stain the deck after work. I was hoping to get the railing all done, but there’s still one section left. I can’t believe how early it’s already getting dark!

Great job, @minstrelofsarcasm
    Peanut butter cookies, yum! I haven’t made those in ages. Of course, I always do the peanut butter blossoms with the Hershey’s kiss on top. I’ve done well with the chocolate chip cookies in the house. I bought Yasso black raspberry and chocolate chip Greek yogurt frozen treats. It’s so good that I’ve had that in the evening instead of cookies.

@debbiewsharpe prayers for a clear scan

@ljdanny i might have to look that up. My anniversary is in a couple weekends, maybe that’s a short trip we can take
  • 1theresamcvean
    1theresamcvean Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    @kandi3570 When you used the Southwest Turkey Soup recipe, did you make it into a casserole? You mentioned not using the broth and putting cheese on top. Got me thinking. Sometimes I Google fancy restaurant menus to get ideas for salads and pastas. They list the ingredients and then I just wing it. Sounds like you do to.

@mainebeachbum Great loss yesterday, Steph!

@GingerPwr I haven't gone gluten-free myself, but my daughter and daughter-in-law have for different reasons. I've cooked for them and find that it's more than just replacing bread for gluten-free bread. Over time, you have a host of ingredients and I've made some killer lemon poppy seed load, turkey stuffing, etc. I have also noticed that a lot of things are naturally gluten-free and that a bunch of other things have hidden gluten. It does work for many things. Give it a go!

@podperson1 Great loss, especially at TOM. I'll have to look up the 5:2, you mentioned and agree that shaking things up is a solid strategy. I already do the opposite, i.e. 2:5, which is two eat-up days and five lower-cal days a week. My trainer said I will probably have to increase my eat-up days to lose weight right now. Hopefully, I can make sense of that. When @xX_PhoenixRising_Xx and @minstrelofsarcasm talk science, I get that you have to have an excess of protein for building muscle and I'm doing alright building muscle. But I wonder how to lose this patch of belly fat that's hanging on. I'm not sure you can do those two things at the same time or else I just don't know how.

@annliz23 I'm loving your motivational posts. They turn my day around. Thank you so much!

@ljdanny Your hiking sounds beautiful. I grew up in an area with a lot of waterfalls and then I moved to Niagara Falls. They are magnetic, and I don't mean that scientifically ;) Have you ever heard of forest bathing. Hiking is so much more beneficial that we realize. https://www.forestholidays.co.uk/activities/forest-bathing/benefits/#:~:text=The Japanese practice of shinrin,and accelerate recovery from illness.

@debbiewsharpe I hope your tests go well. It sounds so stressful going alone. My daughter has had one surgery all on her own during Covid and soon will have another. I hate that you had to drive in traffic too. I really dislike driving in the city. I makes me so jumpy. I hope you have good news at your follow-up doctor's appointment. Praying for you.

@twyla77 Your photo is glorious. What a beautiful horse and the blue sky is just spectacular. You're looking lovely yourself!

@sleepymom5 I love how you broke the weekend down so that you could evaluate the things you did well at. They were pretty major things too. Good for you for managing your meals and drinks. Next time, I'm sure you'll plan some awesome and healthy snacks. Also, you don't have to work out all the time. Your body benefits from the rest.

@minstrelofsarcasm Huge congratulations on passing the Spin instructor audition!! I'm sure they'll tap you for a class or two in no time. Hero!

@Cafelelia Good job on the meal prep. You're going to be so happy to have done that all this week with school, work, and hockey. I was out this evening and saw parents, students, and even university students ~ it looks like UofT is having small tutorials, seminars, and labs. I thought of you when I saw the kids. They looked really happy and like they benefited greatly by having a normal first day of school. I heard the White Stripes song, 'We're Going To Be Friends,' this morning on CBC and thought of you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKfD8d3XJok

@lennoncpa You'll bounce back in to time. It was a long weekend after all so forgive your lovely self.

@Melzz19 I love all your pics and think you have such a cool job. Why didn't they tell us about these jobs in high school? If I had a do-over, I'd be a geologist.

• kandi3570
    kandi3570 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    @1theresamcvean I just cooked it all in a big pot frying pan. Essentially a wok. And covered it with cheese after, only because it was a bit spicy. I like spice And I’ll make it the same way next time, but I need something to offset it on this dish. I do look up recipes and then kind of wing them. It usually depends on what ingredients I have on hand.

@debbiesharpe I hope you have a good report at the drs. I will be thinking of you.

@minstrelofsarcasm you should be proud regardless. You passed and I have seen intense cycling! It looks rough.

I had a good day. I broke 218 which is milestone in its own right. I haven’t been this weight in at least 10 years. I was very low on calories after dinner, mainly because I didn’t have time to eat today before that, so I made a modified apple crisp with Splenda. It was decent. It’s not the same, but you know I’m avoiding those simple sugars. 😁. I honestly do have so much more energy if I don’t eat them. And I’m at over 15000 steps because I worked over 2.5 hours today and came home and cleaned my house. This dirt pit that will be a patio leaves such a mess! But we are getting there. The gravel is coming tomorrow. That means we are close to cement.
  • debbiewsharpe
    debbiewsharpe Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    The drive yesterday was OK . My husband offered to go but I am glad he didn't because he would have a lot of waiting outside in the heat. I took a route that avoided some of the major highways. Something to remember, never schedule a test after a holiday. They were behind schedule and you have to wait in your vehicle until they text you. I did get out and walked around the parking lot. Once inside, a lot of waiting again. I did find some humor. Once I was registered the seats (all spread apart) were full. A young woman, probably 30 took one look at my white hair and graciously offered me her chair. I politely declined and told her I didn't plan to sit, I would prefer to pace in my 6 foot zone. I know I drove everyone crazy, probably why I got called ahead of many others. I will go back Monday for the report and I feel all will be OK.
    Even with 4 hours of driving and being away from home I manage to exceed my step goal yesterday. Not what I usually get but I will call it a win.

@brown6267 (Mary) Good stepping!

@cafelelia Congrats on a successful weekend. I pray that the remote and on site classes go well for all families this year. I can only imagine carrying around all your stuff all day every day. Try to have them use the straps on both shoulders, it will help prevent back trouble. Enjoy you little bit of alone time.

@kandi3570 Congrats on breaking 218! Lowest in 10 years it definitely a WIN. That patio will look amazing.
    l@ennoncpa You will get back at it. I agree that it sure is easier to gain than to lose. I don't understand the science there. I am still waiting for 5 weeks. MFP always says if I keep on I will weigh some ridiculously number in 5 weeks.

@mainebeachbum Prelogging food, steps and water-sounds like a good day.

@minstrelofsarcasm (Captain) Love the picture of the dog on the scales, I often look like that.
    congratulations on passing the spin audition, maybe the scheduling will work out soon for you. Very proud of you. The cookies sound amazing, anything with peanut butter is good!

@Sleepymom5 It was a holiday weekend, take the best of what you did, forget the rest and get back at it.

WE WILL ALL KEEP ON KEEPING ON.......
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    @lennoncpa - Everyone has those weekends. Bouncing back from it is what sets you apart. Besides, you can't go all the way back to your starting weight in one weekend, so all has not been lost (gained? lost? um...)

@kandi3570 - Thank you! I can see your patio already! Can't wait to see the pictures when you're done... or at least further along. If MFP has taught me anything, progress pictures can still be impressive.

@debbiewsharpe - Thank you! I told them to keep me in mind, and I'm pretty much always there, so they're not going to forget about me any time soon. And peanut butter is my dietary security blanket. If I'm not feeling emotionally secure, I hit up the peanut butter jar. By baking it into something, rather than eating it by the spoonful, I actually reduce how much of it I'm eating on a regular basis, which is good because PB and I have a... tumultuous relationship.

Way to go on all that pacing! I'm always amazed by people who spend their time not slouched over on their phones while in waiting rooms.

@podperson1 Great loss, especially at TOM. I'll have to look up the 5:2, you mentioned and agree that shaking things up is a solid strategy. I already do the opposite, i.e. 2:5, which is two eat-up days and five lower-cal days a week. My trainer said I will probably have to increase my eat-up days to lose weight right now. Hopefully, I can make sense of that. When @xX_PhoenixRising_Xx and @minstrelofsarcasm talk science, I get that you have to have an excess of protein for building muscle and I'm doing alright building muscle. But I wonder how to lose this patch of belly fat that's hanging on. I'm not sure you can do those two things at the same time or else I just don't know how.

@1theresamcvean and @podperson1 -

Building muscle at the same time as losing fat is a long, slow process. Especially for women. Especially around the stomach. It requires regular exercise, strength training is more effective than cardio for this, eating an excess of protein, and keeping your calories around maintenance. The damage to your muscles will lead to building more muscle with the excess protein, and any residual calorie burn will eat into carbohydrate and fat stores. This is how the ketogenic diet works for a lot of people who have the self control for it AND who weight lift (whereas the lack of carbs makes it more difficult to complete cardio-based workouts).

Recomposition is the word for what you're talking about, and it's when you're losing fat and gaining muscle without changing your weight. It's not easy, and a lot of people emulate it by eating more than their allocated calories some days of the week (usually on days when weight training), and then under their allocated calories other days (usually on days for cardio and rest days), which sounds like something you're already doing. The lack of feedback from the scale usually discourages people from (intentionally) doing much recomposition while not close to their goal weights.

I hope that was understandable. I tried not to go too far down the nutrition chemistry rabbit hole.
  • brown6267
    brown6267 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    09/08 steps 4028
  • sleepymom5
    sleepymom5 Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Check in for Tuesday
    Food-logged and under
    Water-64 oz
    Exercise-30 min bike ride

Good day getting back on track. Today is going to be rainy. I am hoping to at least get a bike ride in at some point. I am lacking in steps the last few days so I am going to do a walking video too. Hope everyone has a wonderful Wednesday! :)

@minstrelofsarcasm Congrats on passing the instructor audition, you should be proud! I am sorry that it didn't work out with the hours but hopefully this got your foot in the door at least. It may be nice to start out subbing maybe when an instructor is away? I am not sure that is an option. Hope something will open up that fits in your schedule.
    @Cafelelia I would think you would be doing cartwheels through the house! Lol! Just kidding, I can totally understand why you would have mixed feelings. Hope the transition into this new schedule goes well. School and hockey will be good for the boys.
    @ljdanny It would drive me crazy if the parents didn't read the newsletter that took time to write so things would go smoothly. Ugh! Especially with all these new rules in the world. You are right, I am sure it will be better as it goes along. You have been doing great with your workouts lately too. Great job!
    @lennoncpa It does seem to go on a lot quicker than it comes off. Don't beat yourself up, just get back on track. You can do this!
    @mainebeachbum You seem to be in a really good routine! I can't believe that you are almost done with staining the deck! I am also bummed it is getting darker so much earlier. It seems to happen so quickly although I know it has been happening slowly since June I think.
    @kandi3570 Great job getting past a milestone! You really seem to be in a good routine too! That patio is going to be awesome! It will be worth all the work.
    @1theresamcvean How are things going with you. I hope you are taking time for yourself with all that is going on. xo
    @debbiewsharpe I am glad that you have that test behind you although I wish you didn't have to go back for the results. Praying for good results :) I love how you see so many opportunities to get steps in. I need to start doing the same.
  • 1theresamcvean
    edited September 2020
    Options
    m36oh8je73hj.png

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Thanks, Ashley. That was completely understandable and it is definitely working for me. I am building muscle, losing fat, changing my shape, and measurements while staying the same weight. Even though my goal is about five pounds away, if I race to the finish line, I'll end up being skinny fat. I feel better knowing this more solidly. And, I did not feel comfortable doing this until I lost the bulk of my weight. :smirk:
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    Totally forgot to weigh again this am. Will log late tomorrow...Sorry!
  • 1theresamcvean
    Options
    Totally forgot to weigh again this am. Will log late tomorrow...Sorry!

No worries, Melanie. Thanks for letting us know.
  • Melzz19
    Melzz19 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    @1theresamcvean
    I don’t know why they don’t tell us about these jobs if I could do it again I’d go to school for survey it’s a lot like my job but they make a little more. It amazes me the good jobs out there no one knows about I found this job randomly after the one I went to college for didn’t work out. And I make more at this job than what I went to college for. And geology would be so cool I grew up going caving with my dad and the geology teacher at the college was part of our group. I loved listening to him go on about the different rocks and time periods.

@kandi3570
    Congrats on the loss and hitting your milestone

@debbiewsharpe
    I’m the same way I have to pace I’m really bad about it when I’m on the phone I drive my fiancé crazy doing circles in the house 😂

Got the pipeline done yesterday with some help yay glad it’s over they are starting the next phase in a week and when that’s done I’ll have to walk that one two or three times. I’m still amazed at the survey guy they hire the guy is like 50 and out walk me everyday I don’t know how he does it 😂 but he’s a super nice guy and good to talk to people in the field every now and again. Got a small pad locate today and then probably an early day may do a boot camp work out when I get home 😊

we didn’t get the snow some of the neighboring states did but starting my days with 30 degree weather and I’ve decided it’s the best weather for walking pipeline 😊 I love the cold suppose to warm up the rest of the week though. I’m ready for fall and winter but it’s slow season for work. My work probably won’t pick up like it was before the bust until spring but I still have a job and I’m grateful for it everyday. Hope everyone has a great Wednesday
This discussion has been closed.