This October I Will ...

Options

Replies

• nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    @SummerSkier Looking back at your comment above, I'm not sure I ever figured out how to use the microfiche machine in the library back in the 70's for those English papers. I sometimes think kids have it easier now, but I wonder if more is expected because of the new technology. Any thoughts, @77tes?
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,803 Member
    Options
    @nebslp I thought I heard that google photo was going away? Maybe it was something else as I could not find the little email I got but that would be a disaster if you move them all there and then it goes poof so I thought I would mention it!

@goingape I can't even imagine freezing weather or snow right now! Whereabouts are you located? Good to get back to journaling - sounds like cozy to do by the fire also.

Oct I will is going well here. I can see already that for Nov there might be some changes and probably not a tracker per say. Still thinking on it but I am by nature a "planner" I am quite pleased that I am back on track to get my 1700 miles for the year. It requires an avg daily of 4.65 and after my injury I was down to -13 but now I am back up to +13. To put it in perspective I was almost 100 ahead of the game in June when the weather started really getting hot and humid and I slowed down.

SummerOhnoBOSScalleda4PMmeeting"discussion" :#:o:*
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,995 Member
    Options
    nebslp wrote: Β»
    @MadisonMolly2017 Would you believe eastern Nebraska? It's unusual to have snow this early in the fall season and hopefully it won't stick around too long and extra hopeful it isn't a sign of what's to come this winter.

@nebslp Who woulda thought?!!?!! 😳
    Hope warmer temps will be there before you know it!

I can lower feed dogs, but fabric still feels too clamped down... wondering if the presser foot needs to be adjusted up. Yes ve always felt this machine holds the gigantic too tightly...
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    * fabric not gigantic
  • goingape
    goingape Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I’m in Canada I. The prairies so this is normal for us but it’s still a shock to the system. We are having little snow flurries but not enough to really stick around.

Sounds like lots of progress is being made on the goals!
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    @SummerSkier Looking back at your comment above, I'm not sure I ever figured out how to use the microfiche machine in the library back in the 70's for those English papers. I sometimes think kids have it easier now, but I wonder if more is expected because of the new technology. Any thoughts, @77tes?

somehow I missed this post but it is interesting how technology has changed learning and communication forever. I don't know that kids have it easier but I am sure it is quite different. I remember in college (late 70's early 80's) that we had "CALCULATORS" and all of the old grads thought it was scandalous and cheating that we were not using a slide rule. We used the pay phone banks in the basement to call home weekly. Now I am sure all the students have PCs and phones. I don't even know if they have to print out their papers or just email them to their professors. It is amusing to ponder the significant changes we have seen in our lifetimes and try to remember that our parents and grandparents experienced the same thing on a different level.

Summerstilldrippingwowit'shumidtoday
  • nebslp
    Options
    @SummerSkier My daughter recently earned her Masters Degree and everything was online (prepandemic era). She emailed all of her work and they had online tests. They didn't have Zoom then but I think they used Facetime to meet with student groups and have classes. Now she does all of her therapy on Zoom. It's a different world!

I have been filling out my daily planner faithfully (most days) but I don't always get everythnig done that's on the list :/ I'm finding the 11:00 exercise time has not worked yet, but I refuse to go to bed until I do it, so my exercise percentage for Oct. Part II is 100% (3 days LOL)! I have class tonight and I should study a little more but I checked that off already since I studied this morning. Also decluttered a little and got my steps in today. Wish I didn't have class tonight. I feel so unprepared but I keep telling myself to not be so hard on myself. We're expected to speak French when I haven't had any exposure for two years. Yikes! There's a quilting festival that I'm going to tune into in a few minutes that I will count as my creative endeavor for today. Hope to learn something new.

@goingape Visiting Canada is at the top of my future trips list. It must be absolutely gorgeous there. Do you have any beautiful mountain views in the plains area? I used to watch Heartland (filmed in Canada) and fell in love with the country. I can't wait until traveling is safe again! Of course, not on my winter list...that would be Texas <3

Gotta go. Hope you're all well!
  • nebslp
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 You might consider adjusting your machine tension. I'm always scared to do that and mine actually seems to be OK, but just thought I'd throw it out there as a possible solution.
  • goingape
    goingape Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    @nebslp I’m in the prairies so more of the rolling wheat fields type of scenery. Our neighbours in Alberta have all the nice mountains!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 You might consider adjusting your machine tension. I'm always scared to do that and mine actually seems to be OK, but just thought I'd throw it out there as a possible solution.

Thank you @nebslp
    I will try that, too!
    I know I will love free motion once I get this Hiccup figured out!!!!
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    I've been AWOL for almost 2 weeks, so I'm going to read through the posts, because y'all always write such incredible things that I just don't want to miss anything. And the very first post since I've been gone turns out to be exactly one of those... 'I have to read it through probably 3 more times' sort of posts, so that I am able capture the concepts. With comprehension.

I will not be able to comment on a lot or I will never get through, but I am reading everything. Then will post my 'I will' tonight if it is not too late 😴, or wait for tomorrow πŸ’–. Well it will definitely be tomorrow when I post my October's I will, although it it is technically 'tomorrow' now, and when I post tomorrow afternoon, I believe that I'll have to call it 'today' πŸ€£πŸ˜πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ . Can you tell that I'm really, really tired 😴.

@MadisonMolly2017 Oh, my goodness! the information that you shared back on October 7 from Brooke Castillo's YouTube & her podcast #26 is so brilliant. That is an amazing way for her to frame what is going on (or not) about probably anything, I would guess. Thank you so much for taking the time to write it out so clearly with the examples and explanations. It amazes me that anyone can distill thoughts/feelings down to what is actually going on.
    I've been stuck about some things, so probably tomorrow I will see if I can make sense of what is going on using your examples / concepts that you shared. I also subscribed to the podcast.

@77tes that your evaluation went well and that it turned out to be a very easy one also, is incredibly good news! Yay for you 🌹 πŸ’– . Your tracker is even more beautiful now at the half way point in the month. Well done!!

@SummerSkier I love your collage of flowers. I'm going to have to see which ones I'd pick for being in your yard, before I read further. Such lovely flowers. I'm in a semi arid area (south central Texas) now, but back when I lived in Austin and Houston I never had to hope for rain, if at all (too long ago to accurately remember), or at least not to the extent that I do here. This October has stressed my flowers out a lot. Watering just isn't the same as a good old rain. hopefully with a bit of lightening added in to jump-start the re-greening and flowering again. Weather man recently said that we are trying to break records for the hottest/ driest October since the early 90s (before I lived here). Apparently worse than our sort of recent drought years that we as well as other areas went through.

For the flower quiz I definitely knew #1, 3, 6, 8, 9, 11, and 15. and misidentified others or had never seen them before. Fun quiz!! Beautiful photos. Thanks 🌺

Gorgeous Osprey!! That is so cool to have spotted it. It looks so regal perched way up there and probably surveying what might catch its' interest. About two years ago we had some hawks that would visit my back fence.
    Loving the fox photos also!!
    I hope that Amazon finds both THEIR marbles as well as YOURS 🀣 . And well done for voting early!! My vote has been cast also!! βœ… .

You wrote that you were thinking mostly of the repetitive things you need to do each month, more like chores such as clean the auto cat water dish, change the bedsheets, change the sink sponge..... For lists of that sort I either make a Word document or a hand written page and make the list however it suits what I am needing to do or keep track of daily/ weekly or monthly for chores/cleaning. Then I put it into a sturdy plastic page protector and use Expo brand Vis.a.Vis wet erase markers to check off the items. At the end of the day/ month or whatever I use a little piece of paper towel and a bit of water and wipe it clean and then dry it to start all over again. I've found the wet erase markers either at an office supply store or chain stores like Walmart etc over the years. They are made for such things as overhead transparencies etc. For me it is a reusable list. I have used them for years for my FLy Lady inspired cleaning lists, and back in the day for my children's chore lists.

My doctor had mentioned that an injection might be what is needed in the future for my ankle(s), if things get worse. I am researching and learning about it now that I know that I have a diagnosis, and not just something weird or random going on. My thing now is to press forward and do what I can, and not stay in that sad place because of what I can't do now, that I had found myself sliding down into. And I adjust and also try to be kinder to myself when I am struggling. That is helping me a lot. Thank you for checking up on me. I am having better days again now, not just physically but emotionally also. I also have a name for why I've had times of the very excruciating pain that really hindered my walking.

I would not be able to stand it if someone put the TV on to just let it drone on and not be actively watching it. Thankfully that never happened here. I taught my children to turn the volume off of the advertisements unless it was a funny one that they actually liked for some reason. The kids did it at a very young age, even before we ever had a newfangled 'remote' πŸ˜‚. Now even my dear husband does it also, or he switches to a secondary program he enjoys if he wants to still watch something, and not a silent advertisement. I'm blessed that he does that for me.

@jrsepe12 I like your reward! That counts as some really wonderful self care also!

@goingapeyour reward just might really jump start your desire to make journaling a habit just so that you can unleash your creative self onto your entry! win-win!! You are doing well with the journaling! Enjoy the fire and warm blankie to keep warm!! I'm waiting for the promised (well actually a new hopeful forecast lol) cold front to finally come through. This 90+ degrees with drought condition that we are having in October is wearing on me and making my plants sad πŸ˜₯ 🌼 .

@PKM0515 WoW, that is awesome that you are reaching your goal of actually TAKING your medicine, even though your aren't tracking it. Does that mean you aren't writing it down, yet still taking them?? If it does then something must have clicked for you to rememb your meds so well. If you like the tracking aspect then just start tracking when able in order to have a visual record.... if not enjoy the knowing that you are being successful of taking them!! Well done.
    I just read where Maddie has the idea of perhaps simplifying the tracking... I like that! Then I read how you were inspired to do just that with a tiny sticker on your calendar when you take your evening meds. That will put some happiness onto your calendar πŸ˜€ . Love it!!

@nebslp Thank you for sharing your colorful tracker!! Very nice indeed!

I like your quote from James Clear that read, "Do the most important thing first each day and you'll never have an unproductive day." That reminds me of how I used to teach my children to do the subject for school that was either the most difficult or least liked first, to get it out of the way, and the rest of their school day/ homework would feel like it was uphill from there or something similar.
    For myself I often go back and forth between the most needed/ important task, or if there is nothing pressing my least enjoyable task or to-do to get it out of the way and actually done. That is when I'm on track with life, if not I default to the most fun thing on my list, which can easily be 10-15 minutes of coloring, which tends to help get my mindset back to even wanting to be productive πŸ˜„.

You definitely are doing really well keeping at it with reading through your books.

@znaoiec It is really good to see you here!! Grandchildren's first birthdays are so very special πŸ’. I'm glad that the travels and everything went well. Special memories to savor.

I really got caught reading all the wonderful posts and comments. And then wanting to comment at least on some of the posts. Now it is really late here, so I get that X for not getting to sleep earlier tonight, but it was worth it this time as I learned some things and enjoyed all that everyone wrote πŸ’–πŸŒΉ.

🀠🌺
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    Oh my! @texasgardnr what a lovely long post and I am quite impressed that it did not go poof before you posted as MFP seems to be in one of those moods.

"I will not be able to comment on a lot or I will never get through, but I am reading everything. Then will post my 'I will' tonight if it is not too late 😴, or wait for tomorrow πŸ’–. Well it will definitely be tomorrow when I post my October's I will, although it it is technically 'tomorrow' now, and when I post tomorrow afternoon, I believe that I'll have to call it 'today' πŸ€£πŸ˜πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ . Can you tell that I'm really, really tired 😴."

ROTFLOL... You are too funny. I cannot even follow that backwards or forwards. Hope you got some good sleep and can catch back us up today. :D
  • nebslp
    Options
    @texasgardnr I made it through your second paragraph and am laughing SO hardπŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚ Thats too good!!!! Definitely can relate! Will continue reading now....
  • texasgardnr
    edited October 2020
    Options
    @SummerSkier and @nebslp thanks for the laughs! Your posts had me πŸ€£πŸ˜„. I did sleep in, which is rare for me, but I definitely was tired. Every post I read last night compelled me to read the next one. Like an awesome page turner novel that one can't put down even though reading with one eye snoozing already.

Because MFP often gets into 'moods' I recently figured out a way to deal with it, at least on the desktop.

Whenever I am replying to a post that has more than one new page I open the last page number in a second tab (for me that one will always be kept to the right of the 'original' one so I don't mix myself up, which I have before πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈ). So now my original (which I now always keep as the left tab) is the tab that I use to continue to scroll down as usual to read or go to the next page, but when I get to where I want to reply to someone I do all of usual things but only write my reply post in the second tab's last page's reply area.

I toggle between the left hand and right hand tabs. So when I am done replying to everyone I focus only on my 'reply' tab to proof read/ preview then when done I click on the post reply button. So MFP only has to act once and hopefully doesn't have an unexpected fit. But before I do click on the post reply button I try to remember to copy the finished post just in case it does get lost in MFP cyber space. If it does then I just paste it again and try the 'post reply' button again.

I've lost my share of MFP posts in the past. I have a time or two actually copied it on a Word doc when MFP is acting tireder than I feel and save the Word doc and paste it on the next day and send. That has been necessary probably only once or maybe twice πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ who knows.

🀠🌺
  • texasgardnr
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I will read my book and/or color some every day. πŸ“– = reading a book for fun, πŸ“œ= coloring

I will go to bed earlier than I have been recently. 😴 = in bed earlier, awake way too late =❌

I will take my herbs/supplements more consistently. I took my herbs = 🌿, I didn't = πŸ₯΄

October 1: πŸ“– πŸ“œ 😴 🌿
    October 2: πŸ“– πŸ“œ 😴 🌿
    October 3: πŸ“– πŸ“œ 😴 🌿
    October 4: πŸ“– πŸ“œ 😴 🌿
    October 5: πŸ“– πŸ“œ 😴 🌿
    October 6: πŸ“œ 😴 🌿
    October 7: πŸ“– πŸ“œ 😴 🌿
    October 8: πŸ“– πŸ“œ 😴 🌿
    October 9: πŸ“œ ❌ 🌿
    October10 πŸ“– πŸ“œ ❌ 🌿
    October11 πŸ“– πŸ“œ ❌ πŸ₯΄
    October12 πŸ“– πŸ“œ ❌ 🌿
    October13 πŸ“– 😴 🌿
    October14 πŸ“œ 😴 🌿
    October15 πŸ“– πŸ“œ ❌ 🌿
    October16 πŸ“– πŸ“œ ❌ 🌿
    October17 πŸ“œ ❌ 🌿
    October18 πŸ“– πŸ“œ 😴 πŸ₯΄
    October19 πŸ“– πŸ“œ ❌ 🌿
    October20 πŸ“– πŸ“œ ❌ ❌ (very late)🌿

🀠🌺
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    "For lists of that sort I either make a Word document or a hand written page and make the list however it suits what I am needing to do or keep track of daily/ weekly or monthly for chores/cleaning. Then I put it into a sturdy plastic page protector and use Expo brand Vis.a.Vis wet erase markers to check off the items. At the end of the day/ month or whatever I use a little piece of paper towel and a bit of water and wipe it clean and then dry it to start all over again. I've found the wet erase markers either at an office supply store or chain stores like Walmart etc over the years. They are made for such things as overhead transparencies etc. For me it is a reusable list. I have used them for years for my FLy Lady inspired cleaning lists, and back in the day for my children's chore lists."

that is EXACTLY what I would like to do/ Thank you!!!!
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    You are so welcome @SummerSkier! I made the handwritten list on a piece of paper for taking my herbs/supplements for this month's I Will. Definitely not fancy, but has been a visual help for me to remember. You asked a while back what I take... I take Calcium, Magnesium, and Curcumin and some others.

I will read my book and/or color some every day. πŸ“– = reading a book for fun, πŸ“œ= coloring

I will go to bed earlier than I have been recently. 😴 = in bed earlier, awake way too late =❌

I will take my herbs/supplements more consistently. I took my herbs = 🌿, I didn't = πŸ₯΄

October 1: πŸ“– πŸ“œ 😴 🌿
    October 2: πŸ“– πŸ“œ 😴 🌿
    October 3: πŸ“– πŸ“œ 😴 🌿
    October 4: πŸ“– πŸ“œ 😴 🌿
    October 5: πŸ“– πŸ“œ 😴 🌿
    October 6: .....πŸ“œ 😴 🌿
    October 7: πŸ“– πŸ“œ 😴 🌿
    October 8: πŸ“– πŸ“œ 😴 🌿
    October 9: .....πŸ“œ ❌ 🌿
    October10 πŸ“– πŸ“œ ❌ 🌿
    October11 πŸ“– πŸ“œ ❌ πŸ₯΄
    October12 πŸ“– πŸ“œ ❌ 🌿
    October13 πŸ“– .....😴 🌿
    October14 .....πŸ“œ 😴 🌿
    October15 πŸ“– πŸ“œ ❌ 🌿
    October16 πŸ“– πŸ“œ ❌ 🌿
    October17 .....πŸ“œ ❌ 🌿
    October18 πŸ“– πŸ“œ 😴 πŸ₯΄
    October19 πŸ“– πŸ“œ ❌ 🌿
    October20 πŸ“– πŸ“œ ❌ ❌ (very late)🌿
    October21 ......πŸ“œ ❌ 🌿

🀠🌺
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    Good morning from tgif in Tx..

just a quick note to say!!!

@PKM0515 take your meds! :)

I am off work today but hard to believe we are in the Oct home stretch!

@nebslp have you found a better time slot for your video workouts? I love the randomness of choosing them which you decided. LOL. I have given up on setting a time limit or any specific time for my extra little weight workouts. Now I choose to do them whenever I do a walk in the morning or afternoon. So, it is better that way and easy to remember plus I am already warmed up.

@texasgardnr interesting on your choice of supplements! It looks like you are being very consistent. I make sure to take my vitamins (and such mostly B12/daily) before breakfast and then before lunch. My one med which I have to take I usually take when I get up in the middle of the night as it requires to be by itself with no food around it.. (loner!)

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    @SummerSkier, meds taken (yesterday a.m. and p.m.; today, a.m. so far)! Thanks for checking up on me. 🌼 πŸ’•
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Time to RE-Commit!!

8️⃣-9️⃣ days to go, depending on your time zone! ⏰ 🌏

What are you committing to do for the rest of October πŸŽƒ?? 8-9 days can yield great benefits! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

What are, if anything, are you dropping/changing on your β€œI Will”?

I looked over my tracker, and decided to spend 15 mins washing/prepping veggies/fruit. Both my husband & I eat more of them, particularly more vegetables, if they are ready to go!! πŸ₯¬πŸ…πŸ₯•πŸ₯’πŸ‡πŸŽπŸπŸ“

I hope you’re all enjoying LIFE!