Waist Aways - October 2020 Team Chat

Options

Replies

• eggfreak
    eggfreak Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    So I'm a bit pissed off, My husband is having disc replacement surgery tomorrow and the hospital will not let me be there, I am to drop him off at the curb, and come back to pick him up at the curb the next day... This Covid crap is annoying,

I"m so glad you wrote this and now!! I would have forgotten to drive up in an hour for my Covid test ahead of my hospital appt on Thursday...I'm sure my test is not for my benefit but an attempt to keep it out of the hospital. But I can appreciate your frustration - can you plan a long walking route around and around the hospital?- send your good vibes in and hubby might smile as he waits to go in, knowing you're walking your frustration off...
    Hope all goes well and he's on the mend soon.
  • reflectionofme
    reflectionofme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Username: reflectionofme
    Weigh in day: Monday
    PW: 125.4
    CW: 125.0
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,041 Member
    Options
    Greetings team! Happy Tuesday - at least I think it is still Tuesday for all of us :smiley:

So many surgeries and health issues right now! My sister @evelynladams527 who is currently on the support team here is also on the caretaking end of the equation. Her partner had hernia surgery yesterday, which is not terribly serious but still involves a fairly long recovery and physiotherapy afterwards. Many healing wishes going out to those who need them, and also heavy doses of patience for those who have to deal with the patients! My DH has had a lot of surgeries and stuff (fortunately not during the pandemic), and he is the perfect definition of why it isn't the patient who needs the patience. Good luck all of you :heart:

@mbakhtiaruz
    I like your strategy for timing and shopping. I always do better shopping less often and first thing in the morning. For some reason my resistance to impulse buying or reward snacks is much higher in the morning than later in the day. Measuring and timing your intake is really effective - even if sometimes it will feel too obsessive or over-planned. I found it helped to have one free day a week, but not everyone finds that helpful. Lots and lots of vegetables is always a good way to go, though!

Keep the chins up and the reflections coming!
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    @spyro88 Hang in there. I too am struggling but it is getting better. I just try to keep going through the motions even when I don't want to. For some reason it starts feeling natural again and I move on. Sick spouses are no fun!
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Steps and Exercise update for 5th October

Steps - 3330
    Exercise - 20 mins HIIT (with weights) and 25 mins yoga
  • jugar
    edited October 2020
    Options
    A nice quiet day - I hope everyone is doing well! I was able to spend almost the entire day outdoors. Lots of little jobs done, but it was just nice to be out there in the breezes with all the leaves falling down everywhere. There is still a good bit of colour on the trees, but they are coming down fast! I love the smell and the sound of it.

Thanks for the update @ells_runs The dreaded "done" button strikes again. Well done on the loss!

There are indeed a few weigh-ins coming due tomorrow. Wednesday people, get ready!
    @offitgoes
    @PlaneMonkey
    @coll7246
  • krcapone78
    krcapone78 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Burned 1966 calories today (garmin watch). I did 30 minutes tabata ride and I am exhausted but feel good. 52/150 activity minutes so far.
  • jugar
    Options
    Burned 1966 calories today (garmin watch). I did 30 minutes tabata ride and I am exhausted but feel good. 52/150 activity minutes so far.

Go go go! Tabata for 30 minutes is a LOT! You certainly earned your shower! ex2alnwki399.png
  • coffeetwist
    coffeetwist Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My weigh in day is Wednesday, and it's Wednesday on my side of the world, so I weighed in. It appears I'm still at 84.3kg, so no progress yet! Hopefully next week. :smile: Although it's my wife's 40th birthday this weekend, and we are having a little gathering (there's no community transmission here in NZ, so it's fairly safe to do so), so hopefully I won't indulge too much! Give me the strength to make sensible choices!

1) limiting myself to eat on specific times specially in the afternoons that I used to eat more because of the stress.(9, 10,12:30,16, 18, 20 at the beginning then later I made it 10, 12:30, 18,19:30)
    2) eating at least 250 grams of cooked veggie and 100 grams of protein, at least150gr zero yogurt per day.(these kept me full and didn't think about food and sweets anymore)
    3) I noticed on the days that I have main high calorie portion for lunch rest of the day I have more energy and there's less chance of eating snacks
    4) doing grocery shopping just once a week and not buying unhealthy snacks, if there is some sweets in home and I get tempted I threw them away. Washing/cleaning all of the groceries from the beginning of the corrona situation also makes shopping costy for me and it also helps to shop less items.
    5) I started to mentally convince myself that snacking during the stressful periods is somehow is influenced by media (e.g. crying girls with icecream on the sofa in lots of the movies) so each time that I get tempted I ask myself if this is what I want or it is because I feel sad/stressed.

There's some great ideas in there, thanks @mbakhtiaruz - the afternoons were often my hardest too and I start mindlessly snacking because I'm tired/stressed and convince myself I need some "brain food". I might try upping my protein at lunch and incorporating more yoghurt into my day. Another factor was my routine changed a lot too when I started studying and changed my job. I went from working a "normal day" job to working 1pm - 7pm. I really struggle with this, as it often means I don't get home until 7.30pm and then eating dinner at 8pm. I felt this meant that I needed a larger PM snack to sustain me until I got home, which resulted in over eating!

• Steph1498
    Steph1498 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hello all! Sorry for my late intro. My name is Stephanie. I'm a stay at home mom in Luxembourg with two preteens. We are from the US but in Europe on an assignment for my husband. Initially this was great for travel but COVID changed everything. I'm getting to the place where I am bored with staying home so starting to look for online work again! I am definitely better with something challenging my brain.

Since moving to LUX, in June 2019, I have refocused on my health and lost about 15 pounds. I am working to lose 15 more but I've lost the motivation I had in the past. I need to focus more on nutrition and content. Its difficult for me to stay consistent.

Here are my goals for October:
    - Log food intake into MFP diary DAILY to encourage mindfulness and consistency
    - Drink 2 liters of water every day
    - Plan and cook healthy dinners for 5 days per week
    - Read/Connect to the Waistaways chat every day
  • jguldi11
    jguldi11 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    @Kali225 lol I also struggle with portion control on ice cream πŸ™ˆπŸ˜† I've since replaced my pints with Halo Top so if I get the ice cream craving I can have a much lighter version. It is a treat sometimes though to have a date with Ben & Jerry!

@conleywoods Kudos for keeping on! The weightloss marathon can certainly be discouraging at times. I've been on the struggle bus for a much longer time and seeing you keep going has truly been inspiring. Thank you 😊

So far I've logged my food the last 2 days and was within or under goal each day 😁 last night I even logged all my meals before deciding if I would have a snack, and once I logged I made the decision to SKIP THE SNACK. Can't say when the last time was that I was successful with that... Did not meet my step goal yesterday, had a nail appointment after work (self-care comes in many forms!) and ended up taking some work home so by the time I got that done it was bedtime. One more week and things at work SHOULD improve.... For now any way. Speaking of which I need to sign off and get going into work.

Make it a great day everyone πŸ‘
  • Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    So I'm Vikki, I have 3 kids, although they are all grown. I have 1 husband, 2 dogs and 2 cats.. I've been trying to get this weight off and keep it off for what seems like forever, I've been with this group for a year and have lost almost 30lbs, I know I know, that's not alot, but it's good with me, ya see I do terrible on weekends, I can kick serious butt during the work week, but weekends are my Achilles heel... So try, try again...

Husband had a 2 tier disc replacement yesterday, I honestly thought when I talked to him yesterday after the surgery that this was going to be a nightmare.. he sounded terrible, and I have no patience, and no bedside manner, I'm more of a suck it up butter cup kinda person... I picked him up at 3pm, and as the day went on, he progressed very quickly, and this morning he was doing very well, so in 3 days, I except a full recovery, aside from him being able to lift anything over 5lbs, as that's when all the restrictions come off. Technology is amazing that they can do that so efficiently now.. My BIL & SIL had neck surgery in the past 2 years also, except they had fusions, I am not sure why they didn't go this route, they were immobilized and had to wear a weird contraption on their head for weeks, he has a soft collar that he only has to wear for comfort. I'm just hoping this gives me my husband back, for the past year, he's had alot pains, and hasn't wanted to participate in life as fully as normal...

Anyway, I did my morning exercise on monday and tues, but no evening exercise, this morning I did not exercise as I didn't want to kick the hubby out of bed, so I will do it this evening, and tomorrow I will get back to my regularly planned schedule...

I have to work on my eating, I don't know if I was stress eating, or it's almost that TOM eating, but dang it, I have to do better, I've done badly since sunday.. So today will be my turn around...

Have a great day !
  • jugar
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! There is a lot of Turn Around energy here today. This is a great theme for the day (week, month).
    65b3642nnegn.png

It is not just the mind that needs to turn around, it is the hand. Don't pick it up and put it in your mouth. Think about it, log it, and then maybe skip it (bravo on that one @jguldi11 !!). Even though it gets repetitive, feels like being disciplined by some bossy parent or teacher, and we somehow feel it is a personal failing to need to do it, logging and connecting here do work. OK, enough lecturing! What I really want to say is that the commitment several of us are making to keep things turned around is great.

I have decided to lose the couple of pounds I have put on over the past 2 months so that I'll return to the lower end of my maintenance range. Weirdly enough, it feels good to get back to a losing equilibrium instead of maintenance. I was starting to edge too close to that top end. I fell into the ice cream trap too! We are a small ice cream tribe in here, and I also wonder how the heck anyone eats only 1/2 cup of the stuff once you get going. It is not possible. So I'm back to my homemade sorbet, which is fabulous and absolutely non-fat. I am only eating it on sugar allowed days - it is interesting trying to avoid all added sugar 5 days a week. I haven't tried that before, but it is helping to cut the fall cravings.

@coffeetwist
    Small request - could you please make your weigh-ins more distinct from the regular message? When I'm cruising through the messages for stats, I need to be able to catch them right off. The best format is:
    PW (last week's weight, previous weight, if you remember)
    CW (current weight)
    LTD (loss to date) This is great for celebrations! Count from your all time highest weight, or the top weight when you started this round of weight loss - up to you how you want to define your highest. Keeping track of your total loss to date is also helpful when things slow down or a plateau happens.

Just put those things right at the top of your weigh-in posting. Then you can go on from there! Thanks - if everyone else could do that too, I'd be happy :blush:

OK, I'm already happy! You guys are just the icing on the non-existant cake.

@Gidgitgoescrazy
    I am so glad your DH is not madly suffering all over the place! I am like you - certainly a suck it up buttercup kind of nurse, but the transformation of personality that happens when long-term pain is relieved is amazing! My DH has had both knees and one shoulder replaced, and the change after the (dreadful) healing has been nothing short of life changing. Before the first knee replacement I actually had to shove him into the car and take him to the doctor. He was convinced it was all hopeless and no doctor ever born would be able to help him. He wanted to die. He came out with 9 prescriptions and was bumped to the top of the waiting list - the doc could not believe he was even upright. Now, several years and 2 more surgeries later, he is back to his endless list of projects that involve tons of physical work, and it does not hurt. Still grumpy, dang it all, but not suffering the way he was. It is all good. Hugs to you!
This discussion has been closed.