Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    Options
    Making my mom's pot roast tonight. It is one of the few recipes I was able to get from her before she passed away in 2013. It is super simple... chuck roast, red potatoes, carrots, and onions. Only change I have made is I use baby carrots instead of normal carrots because I am lazy. It doesn't change the taste at all. Just a big plate of comfort.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    We are having bbq chicken tenders, salad,rice and broccoli or else a stir fry...can’t decide!
  • rieraclaelin
    rieraclaelin Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I think I'm just gonna make some taco meat with bell peppers and onions, and put them in whole wheat tortillas for dinner tonight. I have a minor surgery tomorrow, and feel like "comfort" food tonight to help settle my nerves!
  • dcshima
    dcshima Posts: 529 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I was feeling stumped as I had small calorie budget for dinner, pulled together

Air fry wide sliced cabbage spritzed with avocado oil + salt 400deg 10 min
    Add prepared sauerkraut
    Add 3oz thin sliced kielbasa (fresh previously cooked in air fryer)
    Pretty tasty & filling!

Next time will use some sauerkraut juice, oil & salt to coat cabbage.

I hear great thing about egg roll in bowl, think will try it with wider style pappredelle strips. Could go with bulgogi beef bibimbop bowl too, need to find some banchan recipes, seaweed salad or other pickled things. Temped to get Costco Kimchi on my next trip!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Your “ tea “ sounds amazing!...you should cater events!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,594 Member
    Options
    Holy whack me tea party how do I get invited wow!!!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Turkey kielbasa, fresh green beans, red potatoes, cinnamon carrots and a tossed salad....dessert is Skinny Banana Bread and coffee!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Tonight is Kung Pao chicken with mixed stirfry vegetables on rice/cauliflower rice.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Tonight was low fat burgers and air fryer zucchini sticks with low calorie ranch dressing....dessert was a fiber one cookie and coffee...snack will be almonds,trisquits and veggie cream cheese!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,612 Member
    Options
    I've just started eating eggs recently - not in the morning though - I would find them just a bit too intense (all that sriracha :) )

But frequently I'm cooking only for myself, and I don't eat meat, but scrambled eggs are so quick and pack so much protein and fat into so few calories that I eat them almost every day now even though I don't like how they taste. And I always add an extra for the dog and that makes her day.

I eat eggs because I love them. I add whites for low calorie bulk, but given my druthers, on just a taste basis, I wouldn't.

I am repeating yesterday's scramble today.

And @PAV8888

I've finally tried the egg whites with dinner tonight - WOW - I love them ! I love the "neutral" flavour. Extra protein, few calories, for me - better taste! A win, win, win! Thank you both.

• dcshima
    dcshima Posts: 529 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Joseph lavash is giant wrap for 120 calories. Can make flatbread wrap or crunch wrap in pan as it crisps up flakey. (Put the bubble side down.)
    Costco carved rotisserie chicken, cheese, bbq, ranch with balsamic vinegar tossed cabbage flatbread.

Need make up some quick pickled red onions for next time. Been digging briney vinegar crunchy veg lately to spice it up for little calories.

Costco Tasso double garlic jalapeno olives carry some more calories, 10 / olive, but they are mammoth & delish😋
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    dcshima wrote: »
    Need make up some quick pickled red onions for next time. Been digging briney vinegar crunchy veg lately to spice it up for little calories.

I was right into pickled red onions this past year - and have now added kimchi and saurkraut - started making them a few months ago and wow! Lots of flavour - few calories - and all that good bacteria that I hope will make my guts happier and less inclined to crave sugary things.

• conniewilkins56
    Options
    Oven roasted red potatoes, chicken breasts and cauliflower....coffee and cookie for dessert...snack trisquits and string cheese and an apple!
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    We had homemade lamb gyros. It's done by baking the ground spiced meat in a pan like meatloaf, weighting it while it cools, then slicing very thin slices off it and crisping them quickly in a hot pan before putting on a pita with all the goodies.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    @AlexandraFindsHerself1971 I am starting to have a serious food crush on you! :love:

In the not so bad (though not necessarily inspirational) department.... 12g of avocado oil, 10g garlic, 55g fresh onions, 13g sriracha, 7g brown sugar (yes, I broke down and didn't use liquid sucralose due to parental whining), 750g of green and yellow wax beans ("da frozen bag"), 500g of crushed tomatoes, 4g of Knorr veggie/mushroom powder... stir fry in the beginning, add tomato, boil the crap out of it, let it cool.... 60g of minute rice prepared as directed and with another 4g of Knorr/veggie mushroom powder, mix and match stir one into the other and consume... about 800 Cal for the lot!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    @AlexandraFindsHerself1971 I am starting to have a serious food crush on you! :love:

In the not so bad (though not necessarily inspirational) department.... 12g of avocado oil, 10g garlic, 55g fresh onions, 13g sriracha, 7g brown sugar (yes, I broke down and didn't use liquid sucralose due to parental whining), 750g of green and yellow wax beans ("da frozen bag"), 500g of crushed tomatoes, 4g of Knorr veggie/mushroom powder... stir fry in the beginning, add tomato, boil the crap out of it, let it cool.... 60g of minute rice prepared as directed and with another 4g of Knorr/veggie mushroom powder, mix and match stir one into the other and consume... about 800 Cal for the lot!

I love green beans in a tomatoes based sauce - this sounds delicious!
  • PAV8888
    edited May 2021
    Options
    @lauriekallis I am definitely contemplating having the leftovers, especially since I've already logged them into pre midnight and I haven't gone to bed yet!!!😜

(And use a bit less crushed tomato while throwing in a couple of fresh ones... )

.... Yup, seven minutes later... done!😹😹😹

AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options

Aww, thank you! I can't do what a lot of people can do with volume eating owing to my IBS and food allergies. I have to eat "regular food", just tiny portions of it because a lot of what I eat does tend to be calorie-dense. But my take is that I would rather eat real food and enjoy the eating of it, and then go about my life and enjoy the rest of it too.

I'm also constrained by cooking for my partners, who have food issues of their own.

• lauriekallis
    Options
    @lauriekallis I am definitely contemplating having the leftovers, especially since I've already logged them into pre midnight and I haven't gone to bed yet!!!😜

(And use a bit less crushed tomato while throwing in a couple of fresh ones... )

.... Yup, seven minutes later... done!😹😹😹

They look amazing. I feel that coming to my belly soon!