Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    So last night (and for the next couple nights) I made Italian seasoned chicken tenders, roasted asparagus, and rotini with alfredo sauce. For some reason I rarely think about doing things that simple. I always look for special recipes for every meal. But the combination of protein, veggie, and carb seems to be just right for me and it was so simple to make.

Now to figure out different ways to season said protein.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I eat very few eggs....occasionally egg salad or maybe scrambled with ketchup....I am just not a breakfast person...

Tonight we are having chicken tenders, sweet potato fries and a huge salad with a calorie free dressing....I actually have meals planned for the next few days which I usually don’t but I know what meat is left in the freezer until SS checks come lol....oh, the joys of retirement!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,598 Member
    I eat very few eggs....occasionally egg salad or maybe scrambled with ketchup....I am just not a breakfast person...

Tonight we are having chicken tenders, sweet potato fries and a huge salad with a calorie free dressing....I actually have meals planned for the next few days which I usually don’t but I know what meat is left in the freezer until SS checks come lol....oh, the joys of retirement!

I've just started eating eggs recently - not in the morning though - I would find them just a bit too intense (all that sriracha :) )

But frequently I'm cooking only for myself, and I don't eat meat, but scrambled eggs are so quick and pack so much protein and fat into so few calories that I eat them almost every day now even though I don't like how they taste. And I always add an extra for the dog and that makes her day.

Sounds like you have your night worked out. I love salad too - but it is still just so chilly here that salad feels a bit not warm enough. If that makes any sense.

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,382 Member

I've just started eating eggs recently - not in the morning though - I would find them just a bit too intense (all that sriracha :) )

But frequently I'm cooking only for myself, and I don't eat meat, but scrambled eggs are so quick and pack so much protein and fat into so few calories that I eat them almost every day now even though I don't like how they taste. And I always add an extra for the dog and that makes her day.

Sounds like you have your night worked out. I love salad too - but it is still just so chilly here that salad feels a bit not warm enough. If that makes any sense.

I eat eggs because I love them. I add whites for low calorie bulk, but given my druthers, on just a taste basis, I wouldn't.

I am repeating yesterday's scramble today.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    edited April 2021
    egg whites are "neutral" (read relatively no taste). You may or may not like the taste... I need to find my old "mug cake" recipe which I spend months playing with while losing weight! That way you can move away from sriracha and into chocolate :smiley:

OK: the reason I spent months playing with it is that, of course, I wouldn't just grab something that works and just follow it, right?
    I would "improve"... right?

So my good old multi-bunny eating (20+ portions of 80 to 85 grams of veggies and fruits a day) Dutch-ie girl (who was/in an MFP friend who is no longer MFP-ing) had a recipe blog going and I've unearthed it through superior google foo in order to present it to you all as the newest source of food making inspiration (especially for cooking with egg whites--and apparently without grains)!!!!

https://countingcalscuisine.tumblr.com

and of course for the mug cake: https://countingcalscuisine.tumblr.com/search/mug

After the page opens you have to click on "keep reading" to see the recipe!
  • lauriekallis
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    egg whites are "neutral" (read relatively no taste). You may or may not like the taste... I need to find my old "mug cake" recipe which I spend months playing with while losing weight! That way you can move away from sriracha and into chocolate :smiley:

OK: the reason I spent months playing with it is that, of course, I wouldn't just grab something that works and just follow it, right?
    I would "improve"... right?

So my good old multi-bunny eating (20+ portions of 80 to 85 grams of veggies and fruits a day) Dutch-ie girl (who was/in an MFP friend who is no longer MFP-ing) had a recipe blog going and I've unearthed it through superior google foo in order to present it to you all as the newest source of food making inspiration (especially for cooking with egg whites--and apparently without grains)!!!!

https://countingcalscuisine.tumblr.com

and of course for the mug cake: https://countingcalscuisine.tumblr.com/search/mug

After the page opens you have to click on "keep reading" to see the recipe!

Oh....I'm afraid to look!
  • lauriekallis
    @PAV8888 there was no need to be afraid - this one isn't dangerous at all - and it looks quite lovely! Would be nice to have an alternate treat!
  • PAV8888
    It becomes scary once you start playing with cinamon and flavours of unsweetened apple sauce, liquid sucralose, melting chocolate chips or shaving dark choco in it, doubling or tripling the recipe.... things like that!

All of young Ms M's recipes *always* looked very pretty.. some I found myself able to substitute for the "real thing", or enjoy fully on their own merits, and only a few were not quite my cup of tea.
  • lauriekallis
    It becomes scary once you start playing with cinamon and flavours of unsweetened apple sauce, liquid sucralose, melting chocolate chips or shaving dark choco in it, doubling or tripling the recipe.... things like that!

All of young Ms M's recipes *always* looked very pretty.. some I found myself able to substitute for the "real thing", or enjoy fully on their own merits, and only a few were not quite my cup of tea.

I was afraid of going off down the binge trail. But these look sort of safe? They don't seem to contain my binge triggering ingredients? But maybe it is i just the thought. I just caught my self browsing for different types of chocolate treats. Finally decided if I want chocolate I'll just go buy one of those dark chocolate bars and have some everyday. For some reason they are something I can keep in the freezer and just break off a square or two now and again.

Yet - I want to forget all about that safe option and go for something I can "sink my teeth into" ... DANGER!
  • conniewilkins56
    I love candy but one bar is never enough it seems...frozen York patties are the only candy bar I can eat for 150 calories that actually satisfy me...maybe it’s the combination of peppermint and dark chocolate.....and it has to be frozen!...
  • lauriekallis
    I love candy but one bar is never enough it seems...frozen York patties are the only candy bar I can eat for 150 calories that actually satisfy me...maybe it’s the combination of peppermint and dark chocolate.....and it has to be frozen!...

I would have a hard time stopping at 1 of those if I had more than 1 in the freezer. Pretty sure I would break down and have a second....and then the last. Just the plain 70% chocolate (but sometimes with the chili peppers if I can find one!) is the only thing safe type. And me too! In the freezer!
  • joone_9
    joone_9 Posts: 152 Member
    edited April 2021
    Alright ladies...now I’m craving an icecream bar! Especially the mint and chocolate..um....yum!
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Cake making here this weekend so bulk order of eggs with shop delivery tonight.
    Temptations to be resisted, but even though ai make cakes, I would much prefer savoury stuff!
    Might make a batch of cheese scones and treat self to one... All calories counted of course!

Tonight is fishcakes and rice... not homemade, but I’ll make somea Thai onion chilli lime relish to liven things up a bit!
  • conniewilkins56
    Fresh green beans, corn on the cob and tiny new white potatoes on the menu again!....can’t get enough of this lately!....my food sounds so basic compared to some of the exotic dishes you all make!....
  • lauriekallis
    Janatki wrote: »
    ... but I’ll make some Thai onion chilli lime relish to liven things up a bit!

That sounds delicious!!!!
  • lauriekallis
    Fresh green beans, corn on the cob and tiny new white potatoes on the menu again!....can’t get enough of this lately!....my food sounds so basic compared to some of the exotic dishes you all make!....

We (grandson and I) are having a similar meal tonight - picked up some amazing looking corn on the cob today and can't wait for it. With little tiny red potatoes and green beans!
  • PAV8888
    edited April 2021
    @lauriekallis ALERT ALERT ALERT!

Hey Laurie: seriously. I am cross referencing your way over 15,000 steps a day the past few times you've posted in daily habits together with the discussion above.

One of the biggest triggers for binges is excess deficits.

Please realize that MFP sedentary tops at about 5000 steps. 10,000 steps is well into active. 15,000 steps hits the limits of very active in terms of calories. At 22,000 your caloric needs are an order of magnitude (literally: the eyeball activity factor for 22K steps would be in the 2.2*BMR range**, MFP sedentary is defined as 1.25*BMR).

You are creating an excess deficit and YES, this WILL lead to binge triggering.

Eat more calories of less triggering stuff would be my suggestion as opposed to reducing activity.

But don't continue to increase your deficit by ramping up your caloric needs while eating a constant amount if you want to head this off at the pass!

**might be 2.1 but I think more likely even 2.3 or 2.4 but I would have to look up my past figures and do calculations which i think is immaterial to the main point
  • PAV8888
    edited April 2021
    re: Dutchie's caloric-counting cuisine... the mug cakes are interesting and you can definitely do larger batches... just don't go over 1.5x (60g apple and 60g egg while) before extensive testing as things made out of egg whites tend to inflate while cooking in a microwave!!!! :wink:

**pro tip: play with power percentage settings if you're using a very powerful microwave.

(I ended up using unsweetened apple sauce, would often skim the milk though it was better with, and sometimes would add liquid sucralose for the "hit")
  • PAV8888
    edited April 2021
    Sigh.... I'll have to go looking for corn! Sounds like I am making sour kraut with onions, baby potatoes, and Johnsonville snausages. Plus side salad. The snausages are a bit spendy: 200 Cal per means two are 400 Cal and I don't know if they're actually worth that much especially since I almost always would be looking around for a third! Let's see if I come up with anything in terms of "improvement"!
  • lauriekallis
    @lauriekallis ALERT ALERT ALERT!

Hey Laurie: seriously. I am cross referencing your way over 15,000 steps a day the past few times you've posted in daily habits together with the discussion above.

One of the biggest triggers for binges is excess deficits.

Please realize that MFP sedentary tops at about 5000 steps. 10,000 steps is well into active. 15,000 steps hits the limits of very active in terms of calories. At 22,000 your caloric needs are an order of magnitude (literally: the eyeball activity factor for 22K steps would be in the 2.2*BMR range**, MFP sedentary is defined as 1.25*BMR).

You are creating an excess deficit and YES, this WILL lead to binge triggering.

Eat more calories of less triggering stuff would be my suggestion as opposed to reducing activity.

But don't continue to increase your deficit by ramping up your caloric needs while eating a constant amount if you want to head this off at the pass!

**might be 2.1 but I think more likely even 2.3 or 2.4 but I would have to look up my past figures and do calculations which i think is immaterial to the main point

Thank you.
    I'm just realizing I'm hitting that myself now. Didn't fight with myself too much yesterday about adding extra calories - not fighting it today. Might have to bump up my standard daily amount because I plan on walking a lot from here on in.

Thank you for the "alert" because there was a little voice starting to whisper that I'm just copping out - though I know I'm not.