Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,978 Member
    Options
    Post-antibiotic-bombs eating has been a challenge. Everything tasty results in heartburn 🤢.
    Today egg, mango, banana and yogurt for breakfast. Lunch is a shrimp Alfredo frozen casserole that will be carefully weighed and measured. I think late meal will be cereal and yogurt because that causes least problems.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,925 Member
    Options
    I originally couldn't see EITHER dog! Now I can see both cuties! He has a very inquisitive face! Skylar says there are no squirrels up that tree... because if there are these dogs are lazy!!!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    222g of lahm bi ajin interrupted my planned blue menu 1.13kg about 960 Cal of vegetable lasagna and 650g about 250 Cal of green and yellow beans and carrots! apparently green and yellow beans and carrots is called Prince Edward mix!
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Oh lasagna, good idea! It's been quite I while since I made some and the freezer is running out of things to pull out, think I'll make some tomorrow or the next.

Today, last raid on my frozen green bean stew batch, I'm out. Had a pretty decent gluten free low cal turkey sausage to add to it, pretty good once in a while.

3G3sHYS.jpg

z57SMvc.jpg

Now I have to go get some mince for the lasagna.. :)
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,730 Member
    Options
    oh that stew....mine is long gone - time to make more. Looks so delicious!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    It is really looking good. Maybe you should mention again where to get the rusks.... CCCGG may make her way towards my neck of the woods over the next couple of months.... and she can bring a couple of bags instead of candied pistachios from Aigina 🙀 or maybe both 🤣
  • PAV8888
    edited August 2022
    Options
    So this was unexpected!

Probably quite a bit out of allotment too.

Unexpectedly tried to go for Pho at 22:40, and the place was closed before the posted 11:00 p.m.

So ended up at the Korean place next door. Eating a kimchi and pork stew 🤷🏻‍♂️

18nf2tfa7zl0.jpg

For sure there's some bunnies there! And some not!
  • Dante_80
    edited August 2022
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    It is really looking good. Maybe you should mention again where to get the rusks.... CCCGG may make her way towards my neck of the woods over the next couple of months.... and she can bring a couple of bags instead of candied pistachios from Aigina 🙀 or maybe both 🤣

She can go to any supermarket here and grab some. I use two particular brands personally. These are my favorite:

https://www.sklavenitis.gr/eidi-artozacharoplasteioy/kritsinia-paximadia-fryganies/paximadia/filedem-dakakia-me-haroupi-horis-alati-400gr/

GI5p4uh.jpg

and in a pinch I can also get those:

https://www.sklavenitis.gr/eidi-artozacharoplasteioy/kritsinia-paximadia-fryganies/paximadia/papadopoulou-krispies-paximadia-me-haroupi-200gr-1514441/

Rb3kj47.jpg

• Yoolypr
    Options
    Surely the presence of the lovely CCCGG is gift enough! No need for her to be toting rusks and candied pistachios halfway across the world.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,730 Member
    Options
    But - she is out to secure the heart of our wonderful PAV. She doesn't want him slipping away to the table of another woman with delicious treats.
  • Dante_80
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Sorry girls. No carob, no party. B)
  • Dante_80
    Options
    So, made some lasagna today! :)

xvgvpPH.jpg

0hcffDM.jpg

Taste was incredible but look,..not so much. :p
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Mine always look that way because I slice and portion while they're hot! Searching for carob rusks. And think of it this way yooly: if she brings carob husks she gets to use more space for less calories and a smaller expense than if she were to fill the space with candied pistachios and chocolate pistachio nut butter... which she would do anyway! 😹
  • Dante_80
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Mine always look that way because I slice and portion while they're hot!

guilty!! :D
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 4,134 Member
    Options
    Dante_80 wrote: »

Taste was incredible but look,..not so much. :p

@Dante_80 By 'look...not so much' I thought you were referring to the modest serving that you'd put on your plate. As in, "it tasted incredible but look, I only had a little..."

In terms of visual presentation, it looks pretty darn appealing to me!
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 4,134 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    @Dante_80 Enquiring minds need to know...

a) Do they taste chocolatey? If so, do they taste good with savoury dishes such as your cheesy beef lasagne? Do they do a non-carob version?

b) Are they tooth-breaking, dense and hard like ship's hardtack? Or are they crisp, light and crumbly like twice-baked rolls? The version in your second photo look a little like these Swedish Krisprolls (widely available in the UK), which are nice and crunchy but not so hard that you need dentristry afterwards.

682788fyoa1r.png

• Dante_80
    edited August 2022
    Options
    @Dante_80 Enquiring minds need to know...

a) Do they taste chocolatey? If so, do they taste good with savoury dishes such as your cheesy beef lasagne? Do they do a non-carob version?

b) Are they tooth-breaking, dense and hard like ship's hardtack? Or are they crisp, light and crumbly like twice-baked rolls? The version in your second photo look a little like these Swedish Krisprolls (widely available in the UK), which are nice and crunchy but not so hard that you need dentristry afterwards.

682788fyoa1r.png

a) Both are more savory tasting, with a very slight hint of sweetness coming from the carob flour. They go very well with anything really.

b) The first one is a proper rusk, made with 3 ingredients only. Hard but not too dense and definitely not tooth-breaking. The second one is much crunchier (and processed tho), I think it would feel very similar to those you posted.

The lasagna were good but I was too impatient to wait for them to cool down before cutting. Thus, they got a little of ye olde blobfish gravity treatment in the end.. :(:D

YHBUeGF.jpg
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    That is some ugly fish!
    The rule in our house on lasagna or hot casseroles is at least a half hour waiting time.

Better yet - make the day before, cool, refrigerate, cut it up and then reheat portions. Freeze the rest. Lasagna freezes well. So I make a large pan and divide it up.
    No burning your mouth 👅
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Yooly you have STRANGE ideas.... like cooking THE DAY BEFORE!?!?!?!?! NOT eating while HOT and BURNING your mouth?!?!?!?!? Strange I say!

P.S. I had a talking to from my GP a good dozen years ago when it turned out that I was eating / gulping my food so hot I was actually burning my esophagus!

P.P.S. That wasn't a smart moment!

P.P.P.S. Don't be that dumb!
  • Yoolypr
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Precooking is what I did a lot when I worked. Make two of something at the same time and freeze.

Often I’d cook batches of several meals on Saturday or Sunday so I’d have meals ready to go most of the week. We didn’t go out to eat very often - still don’t. Don’t buy many prepped frozen meals or pizzas.

Originally it was a money saving thing. Four people to feed, mortgage, college tuition, two cars - all on one income for a long time. When we moved every 2-3 years I was unemployable. When we settled down I worked full time. Anyway, it just became a habit and now it’s just what we do.