Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I "hear" that in PAV's voice also, Yooly. Sending positive vibes your way my friend. Hope the 💩 passes soon. <3
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    Just work-like and such-like. Had to postpone rusk deliveries from Greece to second half of October from previously scheduled end of September...
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    :(
    And they were to be delivered by CCCGG? (I hope I have that right!)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Yup. Still are... but delayed.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I'm still tired and sore. We're going to have chicken tikka and samosas and pakora tonight, and I'm glad because there's minimal prep to be done in warming up the last two from frozen and grilling chicken chunks under the broiler.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Lunch out with friends today in a continuing celebration of my birthday 🎂. I managed to get a small filet, veggies and salad at around 500 calories. Prechecked the menu so I could get something within my deficit.
    However, I was given a small but deadly gourmet pecan chocolate cheesecake as a gift 😱to take home. I might taste a bit tomorrow. The majority will be enjoyed by hubby and son.
    Lovely gesture but seriously......
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    There is nothing better on god’s green earth than hand delivered Greek carob rusks!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    by a Greek Goddess none the less <3
  • PAV8888
    Options
    yup, yup... looking forward to the trying out these rusks @Dante_80 has been advertising! :smiley:
  • PAV8888
    Options
    220g chopped white onion, 750g frozen baby peas, 200g cut up baby tomatoes that were THINKING of going soft and wrinkly on me, 5g of frozen parsley, 5g of lipton chicken soup powder extracted by sifting the package of chicken noodle soup and discarding the noodles!!, and 7g butter cause I can't find any higher quality oil around the place... almost 800Cal believe it or not (possibly I am using too high of an entry for the peas; but they ARE the cute as a button baby ones) but look at how many bunnies!!! And out of the essential proteins leucine is the lowest at 86%, so not terrible as the base for the day! :wink: Hmm.... it even tastes good--now if only I had left some lemon pepper kicking around!!! :lol:
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I have some blocks of chicken ramen noodles. I discard the seasoning salty pack. But the whole block of noodles is 380 calories. Is there any way to de-fat the noodles a little more?
    Hubby bought a lot of ramen because (listen up PAV) it was on sale for 9 cents a pack. So now, how to use it because ain’t no way that’s 2 servings but I hate to waste all those calories on just fried noodles. Even half a pack is nearly 200 calories.
    The other option is to drop a package or two in the trash each week and make them slowly disappear.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Sadly I have literally NOTHING for you on how to de-fat fried noodles! especially as they are often made with hydrogenated palm oil which is not high on my list of favorites!

I try to go for rice noodles and baked noodles options where I can. I also definitely "float" the noodles into a good quantity of veggies--in my case mostly previously frozen, but I have also used fresh onion or coleslaw mix or both.

So the 400 Cal noodles might join 500g / 200 Cal worth of veggies. And/or, if you want to get technical, you could also slice up some thin strips of protein and add it in the mix. Pork for less expensive, beef, fish or shrimp or chicken if more flush.... and then turn the whole thing (including the much diluted by now high sodium bomb flavor pack) into a **couple** of soup/stew type meals out of the one pack.

High end cuisine... it won't be!

Then again... at $0.09 per pack... I am sure that a couple of packs can afford to go missing! you could even drop them into the food-bank box with a clear-ish conscience!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Procedure: nuke the veggies while boiling the water. When veggies almost fully cooked, break noodle cake to fit into same container... add boiling water to about 500g (tends to be more than what is specified on most packs)... sprinkle the flavoring packages... add any other spice you feel like adding (garlic or onion powder or flakes could come into play)... and either let stand or continue to nuke for 3-4 minutes depending on how warm/cooked the previously frozen veggies were and how mushy you can tolerate your noodles! If you were adding protein it would be done during this phase and nuked till cooked. SIMPLEZ :lol:

In your case you might want to do half the veggies and half a pack at a time since the concoction doesn't really hold well as leftovers (the noodles absorb the water) and the quantity described is substantial!
  • Yoolypr
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Thank you! I’d forgotten about the food bank. Perfect solution to hubby’s crazy bargain shopping. There should be a food drive soon at the local church too. I hate to waste food.

I will give a half pack of noodles a try with lots of veggies. I have seen the dry noodles crumbled on salad - crouton like.

The worst part is hubby’s not that fond of ramen either and thought he was doing me a favor. Arghhhhh....
    I must force myself to accompany him on grocery trips.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    well... we all need our keepers! :wink:
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    well... we all need our keepers! :wink:

Don’t you just love seeing an old couple bickering in the grocery store?
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Stuffed veggies today (γεμιστά), since the summer has ended it was the last chance to make a batch (this is a summer dish for us).

Before

zSPetAOl.jpg

lVFhpbBl.jpg

and after preparation

ncRwqhpl.jpg

1ve4pf7l.jpg
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    What wondrous filling is inside that green pepper? Not the standard American stuffed pepper!
    Because no Greek god will be delivering carob rusks to me, I am looking at Akis Petretzikis rusk recipe. It doesn’t look too complicated and is similar to making Italian biscottis. Once the outside temperature goes down enough to open windows, I’ll be cranking up the oven again.
    Thanks Dante for the lovely photos and inspiration.
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Well its basically glutinous rice (best thing for the job at hand) with the insides of the vegetables, garlic, onion and some herbs/spices. Pretty basic but very yummy!

Good luck with the rusks, I have never ventured into learning how to make some. :D
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Most stuffed peppers here have rice and ground meat of some kind. So plain rice and veggies would be good! Like dolmas filling?

I’ll work on the rusk recipe and let you know if I’m successful.