Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    I mean you could stray and try golden and black raisins and pine cone nuts... but I suspect that a standard meat rice combo may prove more filling for the calories. Dolma too could get the meat filling though that may be a more "northern" version? Dante knows this stuff way better than myself!
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I like ground lamb for my dolmas but use ground chicken/turkey in a pinch. It couldn’t hurt to go meatless. Maybe homemade raw cauliflower rice? Lots of possibilities.

However hubby wouldn’t allow raisins in with savory foods. I would try it - Chile rellenos often have raisins too.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    tomatoes, especially, stuffed with rice, raisin, pine cone mix is more sweat I would say than savory :) But then what else did you expect from me!

Now that you mention it, veggie rice (cauli etc) in stuffed veggies would be downright AWESOME.

Wait till your temperatures drop a bit and go for stuffed zucchini (meat mix) in egg-lemon sauce (avgolemono). Now that would be awesome sauce!!! :wink:

Lamb or pork would increase the fat content but also the "meatiness" of the dish. More than one kind of "minced meat" being in play is a definite possibility--combos for the win!

But, now that you mentioned it... yes, the veggie rice thing definitely has possibilities!!!
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,888 Member
    Options
    Dinner was air-fried veggies and grilled halloumi. Yummy.

igpdroxvhmcy.jpeg
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Do you use an actual air fryer? Which one? I tried an original airfryer (the one with the rotating arm inside) and... was disappointed at the time and results... so I gave it away... And now I'm wondering🙈🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,888 Member
    Options
    Yep, this is the one I use:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077B9X3SB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's one of our most used kitchen appliances, along with our Instant Pot. Gets pretty much daily use. If I had to choose between them I'd choose the Instant Pot for its versatility, but I'd sure miss the Air Fryer.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
    Options
    That picture almost sells me on an airfryer! Though I loathe adding any thing other than the basics to the kitchen those veggies look amazing!
  • Yoolypr
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Hubby got this inexpensive Gourmia air fryer at Costco for $40. Got one for son too. Both are very happy with it.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    T-W-E-N-T-Y minutes to cook some "fries"?!?!?!?! Sheesh! TOOOOO SLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW :wink:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    ???20 minutes seems good??
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    20 minutes from frozen sounds okay, no?
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    20 minutes is pretty good really, I need to get me an air-fryer too. Mother has a Tefal Actifry which is also pretty good, but takes a little more time to do stuff.

Today I cooked some fresh sardines I got from the market, and de-frosted a batch of pinto beans I had made a couple of months ago.

p8BUuHd.jpg

vRUezMB.jpg

You cannot beat fresh fish (if you eat meat of course), the taste is worth all the hassle!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Lunch is hamburgers and dinner is individual pizzas. The pizzas got made in a large quantity session last month and are in the freezer, so that's easy enough. That works. I am coping with nearly constant hot flashes and am not having a lot of fun right now.
  • Yoolypr
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Wow - I’m inviting myself over to Dante’s and Alexandra’s homes for dinner. Long trip between but well worth the effort 😂.
    Fresh fish here in Austin Texas- ummm NO. Everything is either frozen, canned or
    preserved. I think there’s a seafood grocery in town but it’s mainly a restaurant supplier with some small amount sold to the public.
    I’m in a tuna salad with crackers for lunch and cereal and yogurt dinners rut lately. Because it’s still blazing hot and I’m lazy. Better culinary days ahead I hope.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    OK, OK: you 20 minute people! Sheesh!

So, to Dante's observation about Tefal Actifry... an original Tefal Actifty is what I tried to use and gave it up as too effing slow. Am I hearing that performance with newer to the market models would be faster?

And of course 20 minutes is like forever! That's like my max time limit for pulling a family lasagna and nuking it from frozen! I mean 20 minutes is like high end cooking almost! :wink:

Did I ever mention that salads are in the dog-house as being too time consuming! They take me away from POSTING!!!!!! :lol:
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    OK, OK: you 20 minute people! Sheesh!

So, to Dante's observation about Tefal Actifry... an original Tefal Actifty is what I tried to use and gave it up as too effing slow. Am I hearing that performance with newer to the market models would be faster?

Actifry takes about 35-40 minutes for a batch of fries, a little less for vegetables. What Yooly posted is/uses a different system that takes a lot less. ;)

The whole idea for these kind of machines tho is that they do passive cooking, you simply fire and forget. Therefore it doesn't really matter if it takes 10-15 minutes more, it's not like you have to be there stirring.

Stop microwaving everything under the sun! :p

• AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Yeah this meal looks like this:
    4 pm. Wander in the kitchen and turn on the oven to 200. Get out a sheet pan and rack, and grab a bag of fried pork bits out of the freezer. Scatter on the sheet and shove in the oven, and go do something else.

4:30. Put the bag of sauce in the microwave long enough to get it out of the bag, and dump that into a pan and heat til it thickens. While that's cooking, steam the broccoli in their bag. Warm the rice in its bag.

5 pm: Assemble the meal to rave reviews.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Had "supper" for lunch today because I got home from walking the pups - kinda tired after walking and being up most of the night fighting with this file migration :( - and realized that I didn't have much regular food to eat - so went digging and ended up making a pretty fine stir fry kinda dish with some frozen Thai mix veggies and a pack of extra firm tofu hiding in the fridge (good for another 4 days and made enough "supper" for two days) with some General Tao sauce from a never opened jar left by the kiddies when they moved all served on a half serving of soy spaghetti. Came in kinda high - just over 600 calories - but wow was it satiating. Might not be having "supper" afterall - though if I do it is a planned salad.
  • Yoolypr
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Alexandra makes putting a wonderful meal together sound easy peasy. And it is
    quick to do on the day the meal is presented. However, Alexandra put in a whole lot of thought, prep work, portioning and freezing work well in advance. She’s a master of preparation!
    Laurie’s serendipitous meal sounds wonderful too. Sometimes those freezer and pantry surprises turn into gold. Good work!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    It was a great meal. Supper turned into 2 Jello no fat snack packs and a tea with a shot of bourbon :)
    I'm going to bed early tonight - and hopefully this will make sure I don't resist toooo much.