Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
    Options
    Can't wait for you to forge new ground into rusk making, Yooly! I'm thinking maybe I'll let some of that into my "diet" :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    I'm impressed with your food choices Laurie but I'm not sure we will let you near any risks.... or rusks!🤣

If you want me to beat some files for you... let me know!😹
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    You are right there, PAV. Rusks, breads, crackers :( and Laurie don't get on well. I can't tell you how much better I feel avoiding those types of things. Still have had the occasional little pie (2 out of 3 days) and that I can get away with. But those others .... NOOOO

I think I have all the files beaten! If not - it is too late - I've reset my old computer and given it to my cousin. If anything is missing - well - the world will continue turning. :)
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    8zppa5z9c321.jpeg
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    8grksb3s049w.jpg

And then you wake up and remember you don't have an air fryer :'(
  • PAV8888
    edited September 2022
    Options
    You kids are actually going to make me get one, Ugh!

Ok, let's review: t-fal activity original generation one model was rejected by me as too slow, not to forget to mention that the "oar" failed to inspire me in terms of potentially mushing something more delicate.

It lasted two uses in my hands and was handed down to others to benefit from because it was interminably slow!!!

I checked various ovens and such as I was looking for olives 😛 and noticed that the more expensive items with the air fry option claim to get to 450F (232C), some advertised that they get to 400F (204C), and most were silent, which makes me conclude they don't even get to 400.

425 to 450 is where I would expect browning action, or what am I missing? I remember selecting parchment paper carefully so that it survives at 425 because many would not... so fairly sure that's where my frozen stuff becomes crispy!

Ok, ok. Right or wrong track? What should I be looking for?

Remember that I almost qualify as a family of Yoolies.... ok: almost a couple of Yoolies... all by myself! 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Yoolypr
    Options
    What should PAV be looking for? Patience? 😤 Lower expectations?🥺 Maybe stick with the oven for roasting and browning. It’s not so much useful for speed ⏰as dry frying/ crisping without much oil.

All I can tell you is hubby and son got the cheap Gourmia airfryer from Costco. Does the job for them. But it’s not good for everything.

Son throws in frozen veggies and crisps\browns. Hubby mostly does frozen fries or frozen breaded fish. It takes some practice as results vary depending on amounts, density, moisture. Jot down notes when you are successful so you can repeat. Read the directions and get some pointers online.

Otherwise stick with what you do now or you’ll be passing along another air fryer.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Hmmmm..... Nuke city to continue for now.... with the occasional oven!
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Steamed Dover Sole (bought frozen) with veggies today.

CbQeD2q.jpg

WEC7li8.jpg

• Yoolypr
    Options
    Agvolemono sauce? Tell me you’re a professional chef or photographer because your food photos could easily be published! And it’s such good food too. Puts my slapdash meals to shame.
  • Dante_80
    Options
    Thanks, for the kind words but yeah, I'd wish. It's just some dressing Yooly! :D

and, specifically those two:
    MYwyH49l.jpg

I do like the texture and taste of steamed food, but - to be frank - you need a little lubrication there. Bottled dressing does the job in a pinch. :)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    But I have to admit it looks yummy @Dante_80
    My next fish will have to be previously frozen salmon (grilled pan fried as it is way fattier). But I'm out of fresh veggies. (I'm on a mission to empty the freezer before closing date next week)
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,898 Member
    Options
    Dinner was homemade gnocchi with a homemade tomato and basil sauce.

Dessert was a sheet of filo pastry (110 cals) filled with stewed apple and fresh blackberries and baked until crispy, served with a little custard.

545 calories for dinner and 260 calories for dessert - worth every calorie!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I keep forgetting the little mini-hell you are living in at the moment, PAV. You keep coming on here being supportive and positive that it makes it easy to forget.
    You must REALLY be looking foward to October <3
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Hey: I'm fine! Your re-decorating is what sounds scary! :wink:
  • Dante_80
    Options
    Went to mothers' today, she grilled a couple of fresh breams.

wjWHVan.jpg

Z06aNY4.jpg

her salads are pretty small tho :pensive:

F2zLUur.jpg

• lauriekallis
    Options
    lol...amazing how quickly we can adapt to bountiful salads!

My supper tonight (and probably tomorrow maybe Thursday too) will be another "Leftover Hash" - using up some of those ignored things in the fridge before I go to the grocery store. Half a head of celery, onions, sweet potatoes with the last package of veggie ground round and maybe some tomatoes if there are any more ripe ones on the vine and maybe some frozen corn? maybe a zucchini if my friend has any left (though her plants' production has slowed right down). Writing it down - it sounds pretty good!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    @Dante_80 shame on you: help you mom cook by making the larger salad!!! 😘🤣 Assuming you're allowed 🙀 in the kitchen! 😹
  • PAV8888
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Little Potato company: you're in trouble!

So they've got these little "pre-made" single use microwave trays... and we all know about me and meals that are ready in less than 10 minutes, right? Basic concept is pathetically simple. Plastic covered tray with a layer of baby potatoes. Nuke for 5 minutes. Sprinkle included seasoning pack... eat.

I mean.... you could even possibly come close to doing this yourself... WITHOUT the package! :lol:

Weight is about a lb. Label describes 1/4 of package (114g)... some flavors were listed as 90 Cal per 1/4... some were listed at 60 Cal. Checked briefly. 90Cal per 114g seasoning listed sunflower oil. 60 Cal package only parsley, onion and garlic. Seeing that, I figured: THAT's the difference, and went home with my 60x4=240 Cal "side" dish.

So we get to the "verification" before cooking: 462g red potatoes. 5g seasoning mix (dry parsley and garlic and onion). = 323+15= 338 Cal.

240 vs 338 Cal = 40.83% increase :wink:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    that's not funny