Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    Thanks Dante! No Minute Rice allowed in my house.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,604 Member
    Options
    Oh if only you guys knew that I threw out several 2005 to 2010 boxes of that nice safron Dante was showing... and instead went on to have previously frozen beef stroganoff (907g) with 250g of extra 0% greek yogurt and 243g of previously frozen green and yellow string beans mixed with carrots! (had half of it so far... with the rest saved for tonight!)
  • Yoolypr
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Saffron that old - meh! Might add color but not much flavor. So good job PAV 👍 on tossing it which was likely a struggle given your thrifty ways.

And your stroganoff doesn’t sound half bad…..
    There was TV chef Sandra Lee who specifically did semi homemade recipes using boxed, frozen, canned foods. Basically doctoring convenience foods.
    No shame there! I think there’s like twenty Semi Homemade series cookbooks. Bet lots is online now. Might be worth perusing 🤔
  • PAV8888
    Options
    If I was willing to experiment... I would be working on the pumpkin zucchini sweet potato carrot based brownie -- with applesauce instead of oil :wink: Haven't invented it yet!
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    @Dante_80 you mean you don't use... MINUTE RICE?!?!?!!? :lol:

Actually I didn't know about that brand (we don't have this here), thanks for sharing. It looks pretty convenient if you are pressed for time. .

Speaking of which, today was "too busy to cook" day..so half a chicken it is!
    (with the standard two pound salad of course)

CcyqP4W.jpg

oM7mfBS.jpg
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,614 Member
    Options
    I love the rusk accompaniment to your meals! Those and the salad sound perfect...I'd let someone else have my half-chicken.

I think my supper tonight will be a one pound salad with mozzarella and hummus and some roasted pumpkin seeds to make it feel a bit decadent.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Crepes with shrimp, spinach and mushrooms 🍄. Made with my homemade low-fat crepes. I made a lot and froze several batches. That was lunch.

Maybe a large salad and some chopped chicken 🍗?
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    That sounds tasty, Yooly. I haven't had crepes in forever....hmmm.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Put in veggie lasagna that didn't nuke yesterday. unfortunately it is the full fat version so the tray is like 1600 Cal which is high. Was bought when was sharing meals with parental who is whinney about lower fat options. Added 465g of carrot/green beans. A bit more than 1/3 but less than 1/2 gone so far. Attacked by 139g of home made "steak fry" shaped fries. I guess will leave less room for "silly" stuff. No cliff bars so far today! :wink:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    That isn't terrible terrible if it is satisfying? I'm starting to get my head around eating more "satiating" meals and less inbetween snacks and it is working. How do you usually eat? Fewer bigger meals? Smaller meals + snacks? I know you have a fairly high daily calorie allowance but not how you split it up on a normal day.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    somewhat randomly TBH. Definitely tend to have a late night meal. Usually start pretty light in the morning. The rest depends on movement and on whether I'm hiding from the pup because she can't share! Definitely going more for "convenience" when only dealing for myself.

Today started with coffee at 7:00. Nuked 460g of veggies and the vegetable lasagna tray so that they're ready to go... but ate a kirkland nut bar (200 cal) instead. Between phone calls had what turns out to have been just about exactly 1/3 of the lasagna. And was then attacked by the fried potatoes (and a salmon piece which went into the fridge and was not eaten). emails and other un-fun stuff took us to 5:30pm when I went out for a couple of hours with puppy. Had cliff bar and went to see dad. Came back and had the remainder of the lasagna plus an extra 251g of veg and more un-fun stuff and now at 00:35 heading out for her second walkies (plus chat with CCCGG), Plus another cliff bar, 2824 in -- "2957" out which for me would be just about even
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    :D
    I love the element of chaos in your food scheduling - seems like it works for you though! I'm more inclined to have a harder time stopping once I eat. I would probably inhale all of those kirkland nut bars in the morning (or enough to make me belly very uncomfortable) and would no doubt have eaten the salmon.

I think (think - because who knows) that my trick will be to start off with clementines and tea and then eat twice. And to get into the habit of one of those times being a salad. That leaves me with one big meal. Surprising how if well chosen I go hoursssss without thinking of food. When I shift into maintenance I can fancy up that salad with more calories. Also - a mid day treat fits in most days. So really - now that I have written this - I don't know what I'm talking about :)
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Trying to think of what is different. It is the evening bowl of yoghurt. I've lost that. Sometimes if supper is running too late I'll have yogurt then (and that seems to work).
  • PAV8888
    Options
    The only thing I have to say... is that things change and that you shouldn't be afraid to experiment WITHIN LIMITS. I have to clamp down because less moving around in near future, CCCGG, and July August instead of being traditional downs were slight ups. Within the 5lb range but upper, not lower when normally this is the time of the year I start from lower to reach upper. So bad planning/circumstances what have you. That said I went from many small meals and snacks to one larger meal to anything in between. I would say that for trigger avoidance consistently not doing large meals probably better. But I DO seek large meals. So very hard to walk away from that!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I tend to be a grazer - which has been a real problem teh past few months. The grazing was constant.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Yup - the grazing thing. I need to eat on a schedule and make sure it’s satiating. If I wait too long all bets are off. Lately it’s been sloppy tracking, too small meals and available temptation. Some days when I’m anxious, no amount of food works. I need to quickly distance myself from any source of food. Cause it’s just madness not hunger.

I need to rethink my choices and routines while I’m up only 3 pounds.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    My meals today (hoping to start getting back on track):

Breakfast: Wheat toast with butter and jam (was not feeling well this morning after ordering in last night)
    Snack: Cottage cheese with salt and pepper
    Lunch: Asian noodles with vegetables (picked this up yesterday at an Asian market)
    Snack: Fruit (either honeydew or pineapple)
    Dinner: Enchiladas filled with chicken, black beans, cheese, zucchini, and green chili
    Snack: Either a nice piece of chocolate or an ice cream bar

Not tracking calories yet... just trying to keep an eye on WHAT I eat.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Great first steps, Athijade. You'll be back in your groove in no time.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Welcome back Athijade! Happy for you that you’re enjoying the move to Chicago. Great city.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    A LIST! OMG this is SOOOOO cute!!!! :love: :kissing_heart:
    (sorry couldn't resist from my mess)

I have nuked a bag of beets!
    I ate a cliff bar instead.
    And a pot of coffee.
    There you go.

SO FAR!!!!