Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,864 Member
    Options
    Thank you Laurie! I’ll give the salad a try but I’ll have to cut the recipe down quite a bit.

Honestly Connie, it’s as hard as you make it. Once you surrender to the notion that it’s not temporary, you learn to live within your calorie limits?
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,248 Member
    Options
    I changed up my oatmeal this morning because it did not fill me up yesterday. So today I did 1 packet of the maple and brown sugar oatmeal, 1 packet of plain oatmeal, chia seeds, peanut butter, banana, and blueberries. Hopefully this works better!

Dinner will be more leftovers from Sunday night.

Lunch... I have no clue again. I may walk down to the Jewel and pick something up from the deli. Or maybe some soup. The walk would be good though and they often have a really nice salmon and noddle meal that I just heat up. We will see how I feel come time to decide.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Chicken leg, broccoli, salad. Had some crab flake salad on Wasa bread later.

Tomorrow we’re going out for brunch so trying to hold back a bit today. It’s a southern breakfast place which mercifully has a few healthier choices. What I’d really like is their bourbon pecan waffles with sausage on the side. But it would take a week to recover from that. Besides I doubt my stomach could tolerate that any longer and I’d feel lousy all day.
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

@Dante_80 - I have to thank you again. My mother in law (ex? but we were still married when she died so I don't think I have to include the ex - we didn't "break up" ) used to make a very distinctive potato salad every Sunday with roasted chicken and kapusta (yes - Polish). She died in 1994. I've been trying for almost 30 years to perfect her potato salad - but could never get the texture of the potatoes quite right. My attempts tasted fine - just like hers - but the texture was always a bit of a let down. Since you told me about the vinegar in the cooking water that problem is a thing of the past. This is the second time I've made it - and my ex and son were going mad over it. My son, because he always likes it and is happy to see it (for some reason I still make it a "surprise" addition that I pull out last minute ... lol) but my ex was almost in tears. Really quite ridiculous how excited we both were over this potato salad breakthrough. THANK YOU! Somewhere in mother heaven a woman is either tickled that I finally got it! Or annoyed that her secret didn't go to the grave with her :smile: I think she would be tickled.

Ah many thanks, and your potato salad looks extremely tasty and filling. Here's to many, many more (over the years to come) ! <3

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,679 Member
    Options
    4 bunnies worth of cantaloupe and just over 4 bunnies worth of squash, plus a family tray of beef stroganoff with a tiny bit of Greek yogurt... all together under 1400 Cal... leaving lots of room for 'snacks', which also included 125g of meat and rice vine leaf wrapped dolma--we all know from where! :smiley: Tasty too!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,649 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Sorry...double post I could not delete - only edit.
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    The chicken soup is done but I still have to kinda watch out due to the surgery.

So I made a batch of lentil soup, should last till the weekend at least. C:

BCeCr0I.jpg

T6FXxDk.jpg
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,248 Member
    Options
    Ended up having chicken parmesan with spaghetti for lunch yesterday. It was a ready to heat meal from the store's deli. Not bad actually. The chicken was real chicken breast. The sauce was okay. Needed some more flavor, but still better then some I have had in restaurants for 4x the price. These meals are only like $6.

So I think I am going to change my grocery shopping again. I will still do my main shopping on the weekend (which day depends on my plans for that weekend) and get what I need for breakfast, dinner, and snacks. I will also get lunches for the first couple of days. Then I will go back on like Wednesday (or another day depending on weather and work schedule) to get lunches for the rest of the week. This way I can have variety for lunch, especially since I often have the same thing for breakfast every day and then have leftovers for dinner since I only cook for 1.

Oh, and the changes to my oatmeal REALLY helped yesterday.

Breakfast: Oatmeal (1packet maple brown sugar and 1 packet plain) with chia seeds, peanut butter, blueberries, and bananas
    Lunch: Teriyaki salmon with asian noodles (another ready to eat meal from the store)
    Dinner: Last of my leftover chicken, mashed potatoes, and green bean casserole (though I may half my portion of it)
    Dessert: Butter pecan ice cream
    Snacks: Fruit, nuts, or popcorn

Also been having issues with snacking, especially in the afternoon after lunch. I just keep wanting to eat. So going to try and be more mindful about that today.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Sounds like you are getting a handle on this, Athijade.
    I have a bad time after eating my midday meal too. So I try to schedule it just before I have to do something ... really close time wise....that way the opportunity to eat more is at the very least delayed and then, an hour or two later, that urge has usually passed.
    My body just seems to keeping sending out the ghrelin for a good bit of time after I start eating - rather than leptin once I have a belly full. :(
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Dante - that looks delicious. I have a pot of what I call "red" soup in the fridge to portion out into single servings and freeze. If there is room in the freezer for more I might just have to make some lentil soup!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Dante’s soup has inspired me to prepare for next week’s cool down. Temps around 68-70 and rain. Perfect for a good soup and a good book.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Now we just need to find such beautiful bowls and those delicious rusks to make our soup look somewhere near as delicious!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    We are supposed to be in the 50-60 degrees this weekend with low humidity!….I can’t wait…..during the hurricane I read four novels!…soup sounds good with a piece of cornbread!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I hear you Connie! We’ve suffered through enough summer already.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    My choice I would move further north but I only have one vote!….

I made a Southwest Skillet for dinner that was pretty simple and the food was even mixed together ( Pav )…Tyson grilled fajita chicken strips,corn,black beans,onions, and peppers….dessert was a jello sugar free vanilla pudding parfait with sliced strawberries and granola….

Three days into this again….starting to get my “ mojo” back….
  • Yoolypr
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I’d be up north too. Lately Canada 🇨🇦 sounds good - reliably cold and hopefully rainy! But like Connie I only have one vote. Texas is where hubby, son and I landed thirty years ago. Both sides of our families are all in northern Ohio. But you live where life takes you I guess. Hang on to the mojo. ❣️

Went to brunch this morning and found one thing to eat. I had the “skinny omelette” from the lighter menu. The yummy omelette had asparagus, goat cheese, roasted red peppers and 520 calories! Skinny not so much for me! But better than the 1000+ Calorie choices. That’s nearly 1/3 of my daily calories at maintenance!

Couldn’t do a to-go box because I had errands afterward and it was 98 degrees today. So I ate it and spent the rest of the day juggling calories. Going to bed hungry......
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I can’t go to bed hungry…..I don’t sleep well anyway!…last night at 2 this morning I had a slice of pumpernickel bread with some butter and a low calorie hot chocolate….slept 4 hours without waking up!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    That soup rusk combo looks awesome!

My 2/3 "blue" menu vegetarian lasagna (about 1120 Cal for the tray) is not TERRIBLE either you know--and it even has its VERY OWN "black tray"! :lol:
    Plus 57g medjool dates

And on deck the other 1/3 of the lasagna, plus 423g butternut squash stolen from the vacationing dog's stash--she should have guarded it better, plus about 230g of roast potatoes.
  • lauriekallis
    edited October 2022
    Options
    How did she get here???????

(lol...I'm only worried about the pup travelling methods in the what's for supper thread :) )

• PAV8888
    Options
    She's not there yet! She's in Alberta now! She's driving! And apparently tried to dig through a metal pilar to have a conversation with a chipmunk!!