Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,242 Member
    Dinner was amazing. I had Jager Schnitzel with Spatzel and German Potato Salad along with their in house rootbeer. Then I got a piece of Black Forest Cake to bring home which I ate while snuggled on the sofa with the cats before bed.

Tonight will be smoked sausage, roasted cabbage, and pan fried potatoes and onions.

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,592 Member
    Sounds perfect, Athijade.
    All those beautiful cabbages out there now....mmm....
  • Athijade
    I changed dinner up a bit cause I found a recipe I wanted to try. It was the Skinnytaste kielbasa and cabbage. So I used what I had on hand and made it. It was so good. Pretty much you cut up and fry the sausage, remove it, and then add the cabbage with onion and garlic to cook down in the pot. Once the cabbage is soft you add the sausage back in, a bit of red wine vinegar, and season to taste.

I served it with a baked potato instead of fried.

Tonight will be leftovers.

Cabbage is so good because you can eat a lot of it for not a lot of calories. Plus it tastes good. Roasting is still my favorite way to make it though.
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    It is starting to get a little colder here, so chickpea soup it is!

YKVr3E8.jpg

QZocaky.jpg
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,810 Member
    Avgolemono chick pea soup? Canned chick peas or dry? I like the liberal sprinkles of hot pepper flakes. This is definitely on my list of soups! Lovely on a cold day - if/when that ever happens in Texas.
  • Dante_80
    edited October 2022
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Avgolemono chick pea soup? Canned chick peas or dry? I like the liberal sprinkles of hot pepper flakes. This is definitely on my list of soups! Lovely on a cold day - if/when that ever happens in Texas.

It's the traditional stew made with dry chickpeas. No eggs involved, but lots of lemon juice. The pressure-cooker does all the work really..but I also use a little tahini for taste and thickening the stew.
  • Yoolypr
    I’ll check on Akis Petretzikis web site for recipes? I know there’s an Italian version of chickpea soup but without the lemon or tahini.
  • We had pasta with alfredo sauce with spinach and mushroom and chicken. Not much spinach, as I can't have more than about a teaspoonful or Bad Things Happen, but enough to add flavor. And homemade garlic bread.

I may go ahead and eat the other half peanut butter sandwich in the fridge as I am legitimately hungry and I didn't eat it for lunch.
  • Athijade
    Last night I ordered in and it wasn't that good. I hate wasting money and food, but I doubt I will eat the leftovers. I can maybe salvage the fried rice, but there is no way I can eat the yaki udon. It was just bad.

Tonight I am making pot roast so at least I have that to look forward to.
  • Athijade
    The pot roast came out amazing. For some reason that recipe (which I got from my mother) is the #1 comfort food meal for me. I needed that so bad yesterday. Now I have enough for 2 more meals, though there wasn't a ton of gravy. Not sure what happened there.

Thursday I will make my favorite chicken and shrimp hibachi bowls with sauteed mushrooms, sweet carrots, and rice. That will give me leftovers for Friday as well. Thinking a frozen pizza for this weekend just in case the booster kicks my behind. I hopefully would have enough energy to put it in the oven at least.

So I am thinking frozen meals for lunches next week with additional frozen veggies to bulk them up a bit (and get those bunnies up!). It's simple and it gives me a lot of variety. Especially since I am not as concerned with soy as I used to be, though I do limit it (I don't flare from it anymore, but I do have digestive issues if I eat too much so I am careful on a day to day).
  • Dante_80
    Time for some Fasolada (bean soup). Made a big batch, should last for the week! C:

nxIG5ma.jpg

zT64k1M.jpg

Q6FgBOq.jpg
  • Yoolypr
    Some love bean soup!

I’m still on vacation in Santa Fe. Breakfast started out okay. Didn’t eat the gluten free muffin -
    nde1oc325f3b.jpeg

But lunch was way over the top. Giant burrito with red and green salsa (Christmas style).
    agqa3geq5ric.jpeg

Two more days. It will be interesting to step on the scale Sunday morning 😱😱😱
  • Athijade
    I ate the last of the pot roast last night so tonight I am making my hibachi bowls.

I cook up some chicken and shrimp in teriyaki sauce, sautee some mushrooms, and make sweet carrots. That all goes over rice and I top the whole thing with some yum yum sauce (that pinkish sauce you get a hibachi restaurants). It is so good and you can really change it up. I have done just chicken or I have done steak. I've added different vegetables like zucchini and onions or broccoli.
  • Yoolypr
    Dante puts us all to shame! However pot roast sound wonderful. Haven’t made one in years and I don’t know why. Maybe because we were on the no red meat thing and just never put that back into our menus.
  • Athijade
    Trying to work on my meal plan so I can get my groceries while at the store for my Covid Booster... but nothing sounds good. I barely ate last night. I don't feel sick just not... hungry. I think I just need some extra rest which is what I have planned this weekend. Just a couple chores I would like to do if I have energy. If I don't... oh well.

Right now I have:
    Breakfast: Boiled eggs and dried figs
    Lunch: Frozen meals with extra veggies on the side
    Dinner: Cincinnati chili over spaghetti
    Chicken fajitas with rice
    Frozen pizza

Far from healthy which makes me feel guilty... but I just don't have the energy

• Dante_80
    edited November 2022
    Not a lot of time today, so I made a three pound salad with some tuna and potato thrown in for good measure!

KTZ3bNX.jpg

PCwLcqw.jpg

oePvT1E.jpg

I think I need a soda water now lol. Having said that, that mountain is less than 900 calories too! O_o
  • Yoolypr
    Dante - can you eat all that salad in one sitting? If so, WOW! 😲 looks like it could feed a family of four. That’s quite the good looking salad.

I had a green salad and tuna today with a few shrimp thrown in. I think it’s the first raw veggies/salad I’ve had in a week. Good to get back to healthier eating again.
  • Athijade
    I feel like crud today. Got my Covid booster yesterday morning and felt fine up until this morning. Took a trip to Ikea (had to return some frames that were too small and get the right ones). While in Ikea I started to feel really warm and weak. So I ended up coming back home right after which stinks cause it is about a 40 minute drive there and was closer to an hour back cause of traffic. So felt like I wasted the morning.

Got home, ate some leftovers for lunch, and then napped. Now I have ordered in from Panda Express. I live in a place where you can get just about anything you want food wise... and I ordered Panda Express. It's comfortable food and i know what I am going to get. Which is what I need right now.
  • Fiance has taken the week off work so that he doesn't have to deal with work AND a trauma anniversary at the same time, so our meals are a little different due to that. Probably just going to put a meal in the hot box for him for lunch and have a sandwich, as I am pretty stiff today and not feeling like doing anything. Dinner tonight is burritos, so that's easy enough.
  • Athijade
    Finally made the fajitas last night. Chicken and extra peppers and onions. Topped with a little cheese, salsa, and sour cream and served with some mexican rice. They were so good. Just what I needed.

I think I am in one of those funks where food is just not interesting to me. I just don't care much about it which leads me to making bad decisions. It is hard when the next few weeks are going to be crazy, but also that may be the kick I need.