Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    I guess some of you will survive future temperatures! :hushed:
  • Tonight we're having curried pork with rice and naan.
  • PAV8888
    edited October 2022
    between previous days and upcoming days maybe try for some calmness? Yes, sodium is super high but... "big guns coming out" :wink:

480g frozen riced cauliflower -- 115Cal
    200g rice shaped shiritaki/oat fiber -- 30 Cal
    547g campbell chicken and sausage gumbo -- 312 Cal
    bowl kimchi noodles -- 380 Cal
    60g white bread toasted = 160 Cal
    2 laughing cow jalapeno = 50 Cal
    5g curry powder (eyeballed--cause I added too much water to the kimchi noodles)
    = 1063 Cal and two fairly filling meals *the cauli and shiritaki were split*

Which in my case leaves a lot of flexibility, even with the occasional nut or cliff bar
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,594 Member
    I love your approach, PAV. I'm learning from you/your posts. Not to get so hung up on my idea of a "perfect" day. I can aim for that - but on those inbetween days I'm learning to wing it within allowable calories.)

Today we are having our Thanksgiving meal...not as many people this year - with a good chunk so far away, and a friend in Chicago, and another in BC, and one in Toronto for the day. What is the deal with these people?! lol. It is an eclectic menu :)

Cabbage Rolls (in honour of my mom number 1 or 2 I haven't figured out the numbering yet)
    Curried chickpea pie (my favourite)
    Potato Salad (in honour of my late mother in law)
    Roasted Green Tomatoes (have lots of those right now-these remind me of my other mother)
    Cranberry sauce with orange
    Dressing (can't call it stuffing with nothing to stuff)
    Pillsbury crescent rolls (my dad loved those - to keep with tradition I'll probably burn half of them like we always to every year)
    Roasted beets
    My ex's new wife is bringing dessert - not sure what it will be - but she is a great baker so it will be something delicious (or somethingS delicious!)

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,810 Member
    2m2734b5zixv.jpeg

Happy Thanksgiving 🍁🦃 tomorrow Laurie and PAV! Happy feasting with or without the turkey.
  • lauriekallis
    Thank you, Yooly! Happy Thanksgiving, PAV.
  • Tonight they are having shrimp fettucini alfredo and I am having chicken fettucini alfredo as I am rarely in the mood to eat seafood, and this way they can have red pepper shrimp in their alfredo, which makes them happy.
  • PAV8888
    edited October 2022
    Wow! You two. I'm about to tear up here!

I truly love the well thought out and meaningful dinner Laurie! That's downright awesome and so much in tune with the day.

I'm joining dad for Thanksgiving Dinner at his new place. They've got a "special" festive dinner going. And it should be fairly safe, because unless they modify the portions for the holiday it is ***guaranteed*** to fall within reasonable calories :lol:

Just as I suspected when they were feeding us huge portions during the sales process, they are definitely serving quantities that are more appropriate for the age and activity level of the residents... Good enough in size to walk away no longer hungry... which should actually be ideal if I want to lose a lb or two... but had me stopping at McD's last time I had dinner there on a regular meal day! :naughty:

Admittedly, the portions are more than ample for seniors who have both a lunch and a dinner of that same size PLUS a breakfast buffet (boiled eggs and porridge for hot only, but lots of breads, toasts, FRUIT fresh and compote, jams, cream cheese... and all the rest, so actually more than a full days meal if one doesn't pay attention!) PLUS cookies and cakes by the coffee station-if you can get there before the "old ladies" clean it out!!!

If I ever manage to get up early enough to get there by 7:30... the breakfast *buffet* is by far the best deal for an outsider at under $10... including tip!

It is amazing that I can't seem to get dad to come out to eat somewhere else... but I guess it is early days!!!
  • Yoolypr
    Alexandra’s hot pepper shrimp Alfredo sounds tempting! I had some white fish and salad cause it’s still summer here.

Hope PAVs dad is adjusting well to the new home. Certainly the social aspects of a community are beneficial.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,242 Member
    Last night I roasted some chicken thighs and served them with green bean casserole (had a craving lol) and mashed potatoes with a little gravy. I was going to roast a whole chicken, but thighs were a lot cheaper. Also was going to do stuffing, but the Bob Evans premade potatoes were on sale and I love them so went with that instead.

SO far today I have had some water and a bowl of maple brown sugar oatmeal with chia seeds, blueberries, and banana. Dinner will be leftovers and lunch I have no clue as of yet. Snacks will be fruit, popcorn, and maybe some chocolate.
  • lauriekallis
    Is it a good thing, PAV, that your dad doesn't want to go out for a meal? I'm crossing my fingers that it is.

@Dante_80 - I have to thank you again. My mother in law (ex? but we were still married when she died so I don't think I have to include the ex - we didn't "break up" ) used to make a very distinctive potato salad every Sunday with roasted chicken and kapusta (yes - Polish). She died in 1994. I've been trying for almost 30 years to perfect her potato salad - but could never get the texture of the potatoes quite right. My attempts tasted fine - just like hers - but the texture was always a bit of a let down. Since you told me about the vinegar in the cooking water that problem is a thing of the past. This is the second time I've made it - and my ex and son were going mad over it. My son, because he always likes it and is happy to see it (for some reason I still make it a "surprise" addition that I pull out last minute ... lol) but my ex was almost in tears. Really quite ridiculous how excited we both were over this potato salad breakthrough. THANK YOU! Somewhere in mother heaven a woman is either tickled that I finally got it! Or annoyed that her secret didn't go to the grave with her :smile: I think she would be tickled.
  • Yoolypr
    So Laurie- where’s the recipe for this magical potato salad? I’m part Polish and haven’t heard of a kapusta (kraut) potato combination.
  • Yoolypr
    Or maybe kapusta is a side dish? And the potato salad is the magic?
  • I did homemade crunchwrap supremes. I haven't calculated the calories but they're probably not terrible. However, in terms of filling....oof. I may never eat again, lol. Mine had carne asada and a little rice and some white cheese sauce and lettuce and shred cheese in the top part. It helps that I'm not a sour cream or guacamole fan.
  • lauriekallis
    lol...kapusta was the side dish. :)

• lauriekallis
    They sound pretty yummy Alexandra
  • lauriekallis
    I thought I had posted the recipe, Yooly - when I just went to look for it I found a not-posted reply to an older post of yours in the recipe thread - but no recipe. It isn't a real recipe so I'll just add it here.

Ingredients:
    About 5 or 6 or 7 pounds of potatoes cut into good-sized chunks (1" cube? or thereabouts) and cooked until tender in salted water with about a cup of vinegar added :)
    2 or 3 onions
    8 hard-boiled eggs
    a 750ml jar of mayonnaise (real - not Miracle Whip) not sure what size that would be in US...it is about 3 cups worth (I don't usually eat mayo so this size jar works well for me since I use the entire jar in one go)
    white vinegar

Instructions:
    - strain the potatoes and leave in the cooking pot
    - chop the eggs (preferable in the palm of your hand :) ) add to the pot
    - coarsely chop onions and add to the pot
    - pour a lot of vinegar overtop (maybe a cup? maybe 2?)
    - grind lots of pepper (enough that you can still see it once you give everything a stir)
    - add the jar of mayo
    - gently stir until mixed.

There should be enough vinegar and mayonnaise for this to be quite saucy.

And that is it!

And this somehow looks like a real recipe :)1

• lauriekallis
    lml7wkrcqe6b.jpg

Not the best photo but there's very little left so it's the best photo I could take of the little bit left in the bowl. 🙂

Note the distinct edges of those potato chunks 😳 that's courtesy of the vinegar in the cooking water.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Day #1…..why is the first day so easy?…..we had chicken tenders cut in small pieces fried in 2 tsp. of olive oil….I had mine on a tossed salad with green peas and light dressing….John had his with some leftover boiled potatoes roasted crispy in the oven….