Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,926 Member
    Options
    Yooly described her weird day above... I had a fairly weird day yesterday... and no, I am not complaining about it... but it WAS basically 50% candy!

I had microwaved veggies and a noodle soup for lunch (420g nuked frozen veggies to which I added a bowl of ho-ya pho noodles creating a fairly filling less than 400 Cal mega soup brunch).... and then had 1000 Cal worth of brownies when I got too hungry in the afternoon! A paltry 215g of Vachon brownies that I ate while hiding from the girl pacing around the perimeter of the grocery warehouse store parking lot because I didn't want her to be traumatised by my avowed intention to not share any of my brownies with her!!! And then greek yogurt with cereal and fruit late at night once we got back home from all our meanderings.

All this, of course, wouldn't work for someone who wanted to have sit down meals either by themselves or with others.

And yes, I had to exercise SOME conscious control and recognize after the second brownie that even though I was still hungry and perfectly willing to have a third--and that's in spite of taking my time and savouring every bite of the first two in spite of hiding from the girl--my food log's caloric balance was telling me that if I were to wait 15 minutes I would NOT continue to feel hungry!

So I went back to the car to finish loading it up instead of sneaking out a third brownie from the pack :wink:

And of course the log was right and I wasn't interested in food for a good 3-4 hours after the brownies meal AND I had a good jolt of energy to spend on a nice forest walk!

(yes, eating candy or ice cream just before or after more intense activity seems to work better for me and has some physiological support)
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,730 Member
    Options
    I think you were speaking to me? lol What I am trying to do at the moment is focus on what I would like to be eating. The past few weeks/month has been a sugar binge. Hardly any real food. I've been wandering around in a stupor. That isn't my ideal way of eating for taste or for health or for weight loss. It has simply been my drug of choice. Not sure if it works that way for your brain - but if I get enough sugar in me it all looks different. Except of course that the hair starts falling out, inflammation goes through the roof so that waking up in the morning feels like I'm about ninety.

So, to get out of that state of being I'm taking baby steps. And going to try not to go back to the extreme I was at before. But, I really did enjoy the grain free, vegetable heavy menu. It just took a little bit more work and effort. Grains are quick energy/quick prep food generally. And they don't leave me feeling as good as I felt when I wasn't eating them. But, it is so easy when you are tired/busy to have hummous on a pita bread rather than making a "meal."

Anyway, I'm taking baby steps to get out of this state. And to not trigger any crazy urges to pick up a six pack of boston cream donuts for dinner.

Today was a pretty good day :) - I've been taking some prescription drugs for some weird allergies I've had the past 6 or so weeks. Finally the hives seem to be completely gone so I thought I would take a chance "drug free" - and wow - what a difference that made to my headspace. I don't think those little pills pill were helping my state of mind.

And, it is so good to be able to cycle again. Missed that so much.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    You get a jolt out of a pita with humous???🙀😹😹😹
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Oooooh, baby.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,978 Member
    Options
    Chicken potstickers - not fried, peas, and extra shredded chicken. Salad. Looks like the cereal and yogurt combo for dinner. Maybe a banana too.
    I’m trying to move the mysterious weight gain and get ready for a couple of dining out days.
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    A mackerel stew today, it's been a while since I made a batch.

IFweImah.jpg

LmSwWv2h.jpg

Yummy, but I think it needed a little more salt. That's an easy one to fix tho.

• lauriekallis
    Options
    I'm sure it was delicious, Dante. Are those green spheres just regular peas? They look a little more earthy.
  • Dante_80
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Yep, regular garden peas (frozen packet). Missed the season unfortunately, they had some fresh in the market a couple of weeks ago.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Wow Dante - that looks wonderful. So much good seafood available for you. Is the mackerel fresh or frozen? Ours here is mainly canned. We can get fresh Gulf shrimp but everything else is frozen or canned.

I think I need to visit Greece!
  • Dante_80
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Yooly we have canned and frozen here, I don't think I've ever seen fresh mackerel in the fish market I go to.

Well I mean I have, but it is a slightly different species technically (scomber colias, or Tinker Mackerel). In Greek it's called Κολιός, and August is the month that we get it fresh. That is what I used for the stew above.
  • Yoolypr
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Checked out some online recipes for similar stew. I’ll be using the canned mackerel or perhaps subbing a similar not too fatty fish. I definitely need more seafood in my life.

I’ve been watching the public TV Greek cooking series with Diane Kochilas. Wonderful recipes but often time consuming. But I guess you get what you work for! I hear she has a cooking school in Greece. Might be a good way to combine a vacation with learning. 👍
  • Dante_80
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Ah I remember her, she had some pretty good home cooking recipies!

For something a little faster but still good, take a look at Akis.

https://www.youtube.com/user/akispetretzikis/featured

Sadly most of his videos don't have eng subs, but they do link to his website for each recipe which always has an english translation.

For example, here is a pea stew recipe.

https://akispetretzikis.com/en/recipe/3196/arakas-kokkinistos

I used a variation of that particular one for my stew above. His website has many hundreds of these, you might get some inspiration from some of them (I sure have!). Also, the way they are presented is pretty handy (ingredients in different measuring systems, preparation, nutrition table, equipment needed etc).

A pretty good way to get acquainted with Greek food recipes.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Tonight we were supposed to have carnitas, but I think as I am physically sore all over due to yesterday, we will have taquitos. Cause they are made and fried, and I just have to put them in a low oven at the right time and put dipping sauces in the little cups.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Now to convert Alexandra from Tex-Mex to Greek and watch the menu combinations she would create❣️
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Dante - Akis' website is extraordinary! Thank you.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Thanks Dante! I’m looking forward to having more culinary diversity this fall. Hopefully I’ll be more inspired with cooler weather. Akis recipes look wonderful- hope the ingredients aren’t too hard to find here in the hinterlands of Texas.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Life is intruding.
    Made coffee
    Nuked a bag of cauli/broccoli/carrot (they're riced)
    Made a pouch of instant mash
    Nuked a family sized lasagna
    Got coke Zero
    ... and 2000 Cal of ready to eat food🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Life is intruding.
    Made coffee
    Nuked a bag of cauli/broccoli/carrot (they're riced)
    Made a pouch of instant mash
    Nuked a family sized lasagna
    Got coke Zero
    ... and 2000 Cal of ready to eat food🤷🏻‍♂️

Sometimes you gotta do what makes your life easier. You seem to be a bit down and not your happy self lately. Hope it gets better soon.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Tonight we were supposed to have carnitas, but I think as I am physically sore all over due to yesterday.
    What happened yesterday?
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Tonight we were supposed to have carnitas, but I think as I am physically sore all over due to yesterday.
    What happened yesterday?

Never mind - I read your post in “share your day” which explained Alexandra’s doggy and fence adventures. Hope you get over the muscle aches soon!