So many foods, so few calories!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,634 Member
    Options
    I blame the bun! :p
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,649 Member
    Options
    It is the bun. They're closer to 300 cal each if anything for the full. Take one home and weigh it on a lark! (Or portable scales way back when 😇). The butter is only 36 Cal per little plastic pack (5g)
  • lauriekallis
    edited July 2021
    Options
    to go with the cool rainy day I've opted for a new chili recipe for dinner today - chili con kale

I've gotten really hooked on kale as an addin lately - pretty colour, fibre, vitamins etc , nothing offensive :D

black and red beans, peppers, red, yellow and green onions, carrots, fresh garlic, bunch of kale, canned san marzano tomatoes, olive oil and spices.

on a bed of riced cauliflower (that stuff has me hooked too)

a pretty tasty and filling dinner for pretty darned low calories (315 including 19 g protein) !

and 5 portions to put into the freezer! woohoo.

Rain has eased up - might just take the little lady out for a walk now - a chili powered jaunt!
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    It was pizza tonight as England v Italy
    Bought pizza bases as I like bread making like having toothache!
    Did I curse it? ⚽️⚽️⚽️
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I have been obsessing about this sandwich I had when I was in Florida. Like seriously thinking about it a lot. So tomorrow I’m making this sandwich. I will figure out how to make it as healthy as possible and even if I have to run around the block for some calories I will make it work!

Holiday Turkey Sandwich from Earl of Sandwich

Turkey, Stuffing, cranberry sauce, gravy on ciabatta bread. All grilled and toasty. I will keep you posted!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    You could heat it on a George Foreman grill….I got ours out for burgers a week ago and they were great!
  • PAV8888
    edited July 2021
    Options
    OK: this COULD have been a H*U*G*E ~600Cal meal... but ended up closer to 700. Because the dang plant burger is 270 Cal whereas the (lean) beef burger is only 170! (And I didn't look when buying!)

Per person: One lean angus beef and one damn expensive in terms of calories and price (yet, I do admit, tasty) "undeniable" burger <-- you bet you I'm future denying 270 Cal a pop! Two 425F oven baked portabella mushroom caps with freeze dried garlic and thyme. in the same pan as the mushrooms, 220g of pre-boiled fingerling potatoes with some rosemary and cracked salt and pepper cracked on top. general usage of oil spray, 3.5g for my share.

fairly stuffed for now!

Pro tip:
    Do NOT separate burgers using knife!
    Do NOT separate burgers using sharp knife!
    DEFINITELY do NOT stab sharp knife in middle finger of left hand while trying to separate burgers!
    No, no: don't ask me how I know!

• conniewilkins56
    Options
    I would rather have the REAL burger anyway!….I have never fixed portobello mushrooms but they always look good….when I was a kid and grew up in southern Indiana, we hunted for morels in the spring….so good….my gramma would dip them in egg and cracker crumbs and fry them to be eaten with ketchup !…I wonder if anyone still does that?
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Oh and be careful with sharp knives when separating burgers!
  • gewel321
    Options
    You could heat it on a George Foreman grill….I got ours out for burgers a week ago and they were great!

That’s my plan. I have too many kitchen appliances that I’ve only used once so I gave my 16yo nephew my panini maker. I know if he brings it back to my house I’ll never get rid of it. Lol.

I did some Pinterest looking today and found a few recipes I want to try this week as well. A shrimp bowl that I’ll use frozen peas and cauliflower rice and a black bean and sweet potato stew that I’m going serve over cauliflower rice as well. Big portions little calories!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I'm just loving cauliflower rice! And I can really imagine it going so well with black bean and sweet potato stew!

Best part is you don't have to use a sharp knife to separate the grains.

Hope your fingers is okay PAV. Was it the meat burgers or the veggie burgers that were so bloodthirsty?
  • Janatki
    Options
    Hi all!
    Isolating affecting quality of food!

Was a complete failure here for lunch - linguine with homemade tomato sauce! Onion, garlic, tinned tom, basil & oregano… needed meat!
    Some bacon lardons would have worked… but had none!

Doing fake tacos for tea! Packet seasoning, shells, beef mince, sour cream & lettuce! Could make a guacamole, but no fresh tomatoes!
    Need to keep it under 400 Kcals 🥴😬
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I guess I will have to try the cauliflower rice you all are raving about!….baby steps!….I am really loving Jasmine rice right now but lots of calories that I could save using the cauliflower!

I have had enough casserole concoctions lately so tonight we are having ribeye steaks, baked potatoes, salads and mixed vegetables!…dessert will be coffee and Nonnis thin biscotti !
  • gewel321
    Options
    My Walmart sells a bunch of different cauliflower rice combinations. I buy some regular but they also have some that have veggies in it that I use for stir fry and chicken fried rice. It’s really not bad and super low in calories. I also like that if I’m in a hurry they are steam in the bag ready so a few minutes in the microwave and done!
  • PAV8888
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Connie you can always start with a 1:1 or 1:2 mix instead of going 100% cauli.

Laurie it was the blood thirsty pea protein ones but after I had used it on the meat ones!!! Concerned with contamination did some bloodletting and bathing in peroxide and alcohol before applying pressure. A bit sore currently but no sign of infection, heat, or appreciable incapacitation. Was one of the better stabs I've ever done going at it full force! 🤷🏻 I guess next time it will be a metal spatula or the more traditional slam it at the edge of the sink which was inhibited yesterday by the presence of the parental!

Jan your linguine doesn't sound terrible... sure, bacon is better!
  • Janatki
    Options
    @PAV8888 - unfortunately, it was - tasted metallic! G*d knows why? I didn’t add sugar and was bland despite parmigiana & loads of ‘erbs!
    Hate cr*ppy food! Tacos not my thing either! High calories for not very much! ….Though some good recipes on internet for what seems like actual Mexican style tacos ….. so watch this space!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Janatki wrote: »
    @PAV8888 - unfortunately, it was - tasted metallic! G*d knows why? I didn’t add sugar and was bland despite parmigiana & loads of ‘erbs!
    Hate cr*ppy food! Tacos not my thing either! High calories for not very much! ….Though some good recipes on internet for what seems like actual Mexican style tacos ….. so watch this space!

Dumb question given I just spam-binned yet another "Save $20 on your first $75 grocery delivery order"... is that an option while isolating? They could leave outside?
  • Janatki
    Options
    No, it’s not a dumb question at all! As a health care prof, some supermarkets here have free delivery slots, but I lost mine … and not available to me at present due to demand!
    My next available delivery slot from Asda is Thursday, so just got to manage till then…and there is loads to eat up in the freezer. Just running out of some veggies … got plenty of fruit & bushes in garden with blueberries, raspberries and rhubarb is ready!
    My lovely neighbour, bless her, did a shop for us on Saturday, but was it of bread and milk …was sweets mostly … Starburst sandwich anyone! 🤣.. so not good for limited calories in calories out!
    She is 82, fiercely independent … she went to local corner shop, was a way for her to carry it ….. bit worried about what her diet is like! Hopefully after this, she’ll let me take her to shops!
  • PAV8888
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Uh-oh. I hate to bring up another possibility if you're dealing with the delta variant 🥺 you tell your little pfizers modernas and astrazeneca's to show up and do their job! 👍