Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,131 Member
    edited July 2021
    Did you make the gyro from scratch Alexandra or is that store bought?

Sorry Laurie: rare, above, was Google's interpretation of TARE when it comes to scales covered with Bounce picker upper oil measuring devices (selectasize, of course, I used to watch commericals you know😹)

Picked up some "we're going to pretend it's healthy because it's not meat based" pea protein based burgers and quote unquote minced meat (PC brand, I'll have to look in the freezer to see if they call it beyond meat or something else)

Just for Connie, I'm getting ready to make fake pasta based on spiraled vegetables with meat sauce using fake meat.... and everything mushed together 👍😹
  • PAV8888
    edited July 2021
    Yo, @Janatki how is son, and how are you guys?

Did you have any jabs before son got it, or are you on pins and needles till enough days go by?

Good job on fridge use! And of course it's better with egg and Sriracha 👍😹
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    edited July 2021
    Hi @PAV8888… thanks for asking …Tom not feeling well at all, but we’ve managed to keep him at home …. Nurses for parents / grandparent has helped & really good GP care. I am hoping he is over the worst now…he can’t taste owt, but his appetite is better today. He has had one vaccine, we have had both… so more fortunate than many… Knackered with it all today.
    No rice is great just steamed & sriracha is just bonkers too hot!
  • PAV8888
    edited July 2021
    Can only be helpful for Tom that he had received at least the one shot. I managed to snag a second one yesterday, 59 days after my first, instead of having to wait another two weeks till I get back home to book. Still on pins and needles when I hear sniffling and coughing around me--though most of the time the symptoms are from something else, of course!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Janatki I hope your son recovers very soon!….husband and I had both of our shots weeks ago with no ill effects….

PAV8888….. fake meat is FAKE!….unless you are vegan I don’t think it saves too many calories and REAL meat tastes better!….

Sorry, but I refuse to eat lamb, too!….think of their sweet little faces….( ok, but I eat cows SMH )

I am fixing low fat refried bean burritos in low carb tortillas with hot peppers, onions, salsa, and mozzerella cheese!…..husband looked at it and said he was having a cheese sandwich!

Afraid to ask Laurie what she is fixing!
  • PAV8888
    edited July 2021
    Well, in my old age I'm trying to step on less ants without being too militant about it. So why not peas, if they taste good?👍

If you currently placed beet pasta or regular pasta in front of me I think I would truly prefer the beet. Are calories part of it? Sure. But nutrients are too.

When covered by sauces or when it comes to burgers or sausages, I'm evaluating whether I prefer the original to the veggie. With me it's the whole package including nutrients, price, availability, taste, feeling good about the little lambs, and sometimes laughing at the absurdity of it all when I then munch on organic dark chocolate dipped in industrial marshmallow fluff💩🤷🏻‍♂️ (I did buy some assorted single serve hot chocolate pouches after that last one to try to deflect it next time! 👍)

• conniewilkins56
    Whew….I put too many jalapeños in my enchiladas and my mouth is on fire….didn’t stop me from eating all of them!……
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,761 Member
    Don't have time to respond to all - but I love reading this thread - dinner? ha! - going out with a friend for a beer on a patio!!!!!!! woohoo !!!! in an industrial area of Hamilton - lol yikes! - no dogs allowed on the patio - but they said bring the dog - its an open fence around the edge and she can sit on the other side with water. lol. Hope to see you all again! If not - you know where I spent my last moments.
  • PAV8888
    If I were your puppy and all I was having was water at the other side of the fence while you were enjoying GOODIES and beer! :rage:

:lol:

Frozen sockey salmon fried on the "magic" grilling pan (a heavy duty ridged pan that imitates a grill on the stovetop).
    Fingerling potatoes first boiled and then finished in the pan)
    baby carrots first oven baked and then finished in the pan because they was no grilling happening
    sliced zucchini first oven baked and then finished in the pan because they was no grilling happening
    Pam "grilling" version (as opposed to "original", or "butter", or "olive oil", or "coconut" sucks (OK: not sure if it sucks or not; but it didn't taste as good as the plain canola pump my oven stuff didn't grill! I only bought it because the store has not had the pump bottle of canola for almos three weeks now! :rage: )
    left over salad from yesterday (logged yesterday too so it was "free")
    plus CHERRIES! On Sale! Yeah!
  • conniewilkins56
    PAV8888 your dinner actually sounds good….except for the salmon lol….I want to like salmon so bad but I just can’t….I do like other fish…..you can buy an olive oil mister for around $12…. I love mine….easy to fill and it seems to do the job better than Pam…we have a lot of fresh seafood markets here and the produce market I go to has wild caught cod for $4.99 to $7.99 a lb most of the time!….every fruit and vegetable is in season right now!….cucumbers 6/$1.00 and corn the same…..tomatoes are only .79 lb and eggplant was .69 lb…..can make a meal out of rabbit food!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 your dinner actually sounds good….except for the salmon lol….I want to like salmon so bad but I just can’t….I do like other fish…..you can buy an olive oil mister for around $12…. I love mine….easy to fill and it seems to do the job better than Pam…we have a lot of fresh seafood markets here and the produce market I go to has wild caught cod for $4.99 to $7.99 a lb most of the time!….every fruit and vegetable is in season right now!….cucumbers 6/$1.00 and corn the same…..tomatoes are only .79 lb and eggplant was .69 lb…..can make a meal out of rabbit food!

Rabbit food for the win!

Which types of salon are you rejecting?

Farmed Atlantic salmon and steelhead trout: a lot of local controversy as to how they're farmed; but, in addition to all that: significantly fattier than the "wild" stuff. If you look at the calories for these suckers... you will probably move on to steaks! And no, I am not impressed by the fat striations! :lol:

Pink salmon, considered lower end and less expensive, often available in nicely packed boneless skinless little packages. The pinks are relatively small fish. Given the overall sustainability of any fish source they are actually on the "more available" end of things. They grill, pan fry, bake or steam (microwave even) nicely and are somewhat forgiving when cooking.

Sockeye. Dad poo poo's pink but is fine with sockeye. I'll give you a comparison though: 1lb of sockeye = 2.2lbs of pink in terms of price at my supermarket... and the sockeye comes with skin. (Of course in spite of the high price of frozen sockeye, it is still no more than the silly expensive for no reason "fresh" Atlantic farmed... so we all know that I would go for the frozen wild stuff!) OK: I won't hide it: I like sockeye the best too. And the skin actually makes it easier/more interesting to cook especially when you crisp it nicely.

Other salmons:
    Chinook/King: large suckers... obviously they don't make it to MY type of supermarkets often! But someone I know who went to one of the seaplane only fishing lodges came back home with parts of one! I "hear" they taste good! :wink:

Coho: often seen in the "fresh" section as a head on fish. They're interesting but lose the battle for me on the convenience of the fillets or steaks... if you're adventuresome and want to cook a complete fish go for it and let me know!

Keta salmon... I think I've only seen these guys in cans!

Not sure what's going on in Europe... but some of the farmed salmons (and smaller farmed rainbow trout) may be good... they don't make it (other than in smoked form) to my neck of the woods and I am not sure if there exist sea lice, antibiotic, and food die controversies with them!
  • conniewilkins56
    Thanks for the fish info!…I was buying some Cod the other day and I came close to buying a salmon steak but I decided I knew I liked the cod!….I would not ever attempt to cook a whole fish that still had the eyes in it!…would be looking at me the entire time!
  • lauriekallis
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    If I were your puppy and all I was having was water at the other side of the fence while you were enjoying GOODIES and beer! :rage:

:lol:

No GOODIES - only two Corona with lime (pretty darn fancy for this spot) - relatively low calories too!

But I was dreaming of goodies - all those high fat/high salt pub foods that I know were in the menu which I didn't even look at!

One thing I think about not eating meat is I don't feel compelled to sweat the bits of fat here and there in oil/butter. Maybe I should? But it feels like I need that bit of fat in my diet. So I'll try not to worry too much. I was thinking the olive oil mister sounded good - then thought of how much I like that bit of oil!
  • PAV8888
    Nothing wrong with a bit of oil u can afford! Nuts maybe?

One mister I tried years ago clogged. Gave up on the concept. Maybe I should try again? The PC canola has no propellant but they've been out weeks!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    edited July 2021
    Today lunch is Mexican wraps. Tonight is leftovers, though that may wind up, if I go to the store, being the meal we were supposed to have yesterday and didn't because I was too tired to cook it, namely, gyros. Which is sort of a leftover, just of a whole meal instead of a portion of this and a portion of that.

We went to Our Local Taqueria instead and I had my comfort food of two lengua street tacos with onion and cilantro and a squeeze of lime. And a packet of my own Mexican rice, but given that I can have a two ounce serving of it in 45 seconds from frozen and it isn't loaded with salt, why not? I considered it a victory that I'd rather have the rice than a packet of chips.

I'm not giving up chips but I'm trying to not make eating them as a side dish an automatic thing. I want them where I like them with that particular sandwich.
  • lauriekallis
    Love nuts - walnuts and almonds pretty well every day :) but love a little butter on the air popped corn and ... lol, you get the drift! And olive oil on tomatoes with fresh ground pepper....I swoon....I think even Connie wouldn't mind those things touching!
  • conniewilkins56
    Love nuts - walnuts and almonds pretty well every day :) but love a little butter on the air popped corn and ... lol, you get the drift! And olive oil on tomatoes with fresh ground pepper....I swoon....I think even Connie wouldn't mind those things touching!

I like cottage cheese with tomatoes and pepper on it!…and it touches!….I don’t like foods that all run together on my plate!….Ewwww….like the juice off of green beans running onto my meat….sometimes I put my veggies in a separate bowl or drain them on a paper towel first!…I need one of those sectioned plates for toddlers!

Actually Laurie an PAV8888 are influencing some of my food choices for the good….daughter is making traditional lasagna for everyone and I am making my own with Zuchinni!….proud of me?
  • lauriekallis

I like cottage cheese with tomatoes and pepper on it!…and it touches!….I don’t like foods that all run together on my plate!….Ewwww….like the juice off of green beans running onto my meat….sometimes I put my veggies in a separate bowl or drain them on a paper towel first!…I need one of those sectioned plates for toddlers!

Actually Laurie an PAV8888 are influencing some of my food choices for the good….daughter is making traditional lasagna for everyone and I am making my own with Zuchinni!….proud of me?

You go, Connie! I'm so glad that I enjoy veggies as pasta. Actually enjoy them so it is no problem. They save so many calories and add nutrition and pasta. Maybe they'll grow on you?

I have not tried cottage cheese with tomatoes and pepper! Might just have to try that today too. Haven't moved from my desk chair yet - but at least have started a shopping list so I'm part way there.

So many good foods to eat! Not sure what I'll have for dinner yet.
  • PAV8888
    I have to admit a butter on each half of a tim horton's bun :blush: Mind you... that's more calories than the chili or the soup itself... so there's that! Not sure about dinner myself. We shall see as we're supposed to have thunderstorms too... so power? Has happened before!