Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,673 Member
    Options
    Sounds good: how much feta did you use and did you mix in with cottage cheese? (Curdle might be used incorrectly... the issue is that it "solidifies" in little specs instead of dissolving like milk or I would expect cheese will)
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Dinner tonight is a huge tossed salad with leftover light potato salad and feta cheese along with 4 roasted chicken drummettes dipped in hot sauce!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    Tonight was steak and baked potato/rice pilaf with green beans. Then there were chocolate pudding parfaits. (It's amazing how nice a cup of fatfree pudding looks in a pretty glass dish with whipped cream on it.)
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,647 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Sounds good: how much feta did you use and did you mix in with cottage cheese? (Curdle might be used incorrectly... the issue is that it "solidifies" in little specs instead of dissolving like milk or I would expect cheese will)

I think curdle is correct! Didn't want that to happen. I've added my recipe to the "recipes" thread that Connie started....all in grams even (except for the whole eggs)
  • PAV8888
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I like that recipe! Will have to change that K--rhymes with s(t)ale--word; but I suspect dad will enjoy the feta version! So I may be trying (something closer to) your version soon, Laurie!

Today was... meah... as I had several non cooperating work thingies taking place *plus* DAVIS GMC BUICK did not use any Vaseline when dealing with dad. I mean it's not my circus but I am developing a dislike for some of these monkeys, especially when a $75 third party part ($250 for the OEM AC Delco including overnight shipping from my FIRST web search hit) that comes with all the seals ends up as a $375 part PLUS another $350 for TWO sets of seals on dad's invoice. Did I mention that the seals come with the AC Delco part and that the dealership needs TWO separate kits on top of the part that includes them? Let's forget that the job that takes 1 hour on you-tube is a $550 labour intensive adventure.

Anyway!

2/3 of a cauliflower rice bag for like 60 Calories and a 370 Cal Thai Red Curry, plus another 170 Cal for a second one without any rice... so 600 Cal dinner...

all was doing good...

... and then I went and downed a couple of kodiak (chocolate brownie swirl with chocolate coating) ice cream bars for another 500 Cal (2x250)!

Which shows you:
    a) this non emotional eater continues to eat incessantly when annoyed!
    b) trying for a deficit when agitated like this = not being the brightest light bulb in the room!

I will maybe learn someday--including not buying cookies and ice cream on sale! MAYBE! :wink:

Oh well! At least the weather is nice enough (and I have to wait for a huge file transfer to finish), so I can go for a nice walk and improve on the dismal 7K steps I had before midnight!
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Fourth of July was delicious. I had too many chips and guac, some amazing marinated turkey breasts (one in dill pickle brine, the other in a korean bbq marinade), 2 veggie burgers, sweet potato salad, the best baked beans, and the smores trifle for dessert. And a few Pimms cups. I was definitely over calories, but didn't eat until I was stuffed, so...not too bad?

Yesterday was back to (almost) normal, except for the leftover smores trifle for breakfast (so relieved it is gone now!). I had a leftover turkey sandwich for lunch, and dinner was some hummus, veggies, and cowboy caviar and chips.

Best friend spent the night and will work from our place today, so not sure what we are going to do for food yet. I have back-to-back calls all morning starting at 7, so just had a banana and chocolate hummus for breakfast. Maybe a hummus wrap for lunch?

Dinner is TBD. I want a non-meat.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    ...Will have to change that K--rhymes with s(t)ale--word...

I've not been a STALE fan - but am starting to add it to things now. It really isn't bad in the frittata - the great thing about stale is that it doesn't release a lot of juice that would make the frittato runny. Just adds some extra fibre and vitamins and a little colour and texture - not even a lot of flavour. I used to use spinach or chard - but ended up with runny eggs - YUCK.

The whole car thing feels outrageous. But can't think about that without ice cream bars so...

Riced cauliflower might need to be visited again. Manually riced cauliflower a few times - and did indeed like it - but got tired of the trouble and mess of grating cauliflower (little bits all over the kitchen!). Is the frozen okay??

Last night I had both the frozen zuchinni noodles and frozen french style green beans with pasta sauce. I almost couldn't tell the difference between them under the sauce and grated mozzarella. Good to have an extra option - especially one that I can buy at my local store (our ghetto innercity no frills doesn't carry anything with the "french style' moniker!)

• AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    I find the riced cauliflower works fine. Girlfriend likes it best mixed with rice grains, so she gets more for less, as it were. Boyfriend eats it straight under curries and stirfries. I've even done him a "fried rice" version.... a little fresh ginger, a little fresh garlic, a few bits of chopped green onion, some diced veggies, and a shot of soy sauce. Looks pretty good.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Well, today is doomed before it starts…..tropical storm Elsa is heading towards us later today….not a hurricane ( yet ) but already raining and pretty gusty winds…we bought extra water, bread, etc but won’t be cooking much today or tomorrow unless power continues to stay on….I have already had a bowl of Special K ( the woman who seldom eats cereal or breakfast ) and devoured a fresh Cuban sandwich that I bought hot off the press at Publix….I am cooking some ground beef later before I don’t have power to fix it!…I am sure dinner will be a gastronomical disaster because son in law is cooking some kind of Haitian chicken dish and daughter brought home brownies, cookies and a carrot cake for her emergency box of needed items!…the kitchen looks like a restaurant right now with everyone fixing food to eat later….I will most likely lose what is left of my mind….
  • PAV8888
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Fried rice version looks interesting Alexandra. I mixed 50-50 prepared rice to prepared cauli by weight for dad; 33-66 for me.

The cauli did shed a tiny bit of extra liquid Laurie. Nothing like the extra water shed by beets; but if I had removed the water I would have had seamless blending under the curry sauce

our stale instead of spinach idea for being dryer and shedding less water in the eggs has great merit. I've generally been relatively UN impressed with the taste of kale but I guess it's not terrible.
    And excess water in the eggs is why I avoid using mushrooms tomatoes and spinach which I like !

Either mfp or Android keyboard are going wonky so I'm stopping
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Yes, Alexandra, fried "rice" is what I've always used the riced cauliflower for. I'll give the frozen a try - maybe I'll eat this more often if it is easier.

I used sauted kale under a curry the other day...just for something to sop up the curry. Cauliflower would have been a lot better.

It is on today's shopping list!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I thought no frills were for the burbs and Independent grocer was in town!

Frozen section should have cauli.???
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I guess it is a big town - so no frills it is in our neck of the woods. They do have the cauli - I just expected it to be terrible so never tried it.
    Going to take the big plunge tomorrow! (not today, because I have that frittata lined up for dinner, and maybe a green salad with it to just go all crazy like)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    May depend on the brand / quality of the cauli a bit though?

I've found no-name frozen veggies to be good value$; but, often less tender than PC or green giant or arctic gardens/others.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    So interesting 750 Cal dinner and it could easily be 550 Cal!

Parchment paper, 425F convention, 3g canola (no propellant) spray: 200g portabella (2 large caps) and 5 nice looking carrots (175g)

Half a pack, 55g, Betty Crocker instant mash (garlic). Just boiled water and some roast garlic spice.

30g fresh onions (2 chunky sprigs) and TWO quarter lb store bought lean Angus beef burgers on the grilling pan on the stove

You can easily save calories by using one burger, or by using eggs served in/on the portabellad instead of the burgers

I may have pretended to use eggs instead of a burger when describing this dinner to a vegetarian friend! 😇😹
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Breakfast was a "Just Egg" and veggie sausage patty sandwich with PB2 yogurt dip and an apple.

I'm going out to lunch with a friend, and have already scoured the menu. I usually get a delicious noodle or curry dish, but I found a lighter, grilled option (lemon grilled chicken with vegetable skewers), and I might throw a papaya salad in on the side. Leftovers will be saved for dinner.

Tomorrow, breakfast will probably be at the airport, then off on vacation!

Edit: We leave Friday for vacation, not tomorrow. I truly need a nap.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Back on track with my food today….we had a light dinner of salad, ground beef,steamed broccoli and cauliflower and a little sweet potato….

I MIXED coconut Greek yogurt with some chocolate hummus and sliced strawberries…( some foods are ok mixed! )…. It was really good and filling….

Concentrated on calories and not exercise today!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I MIXED coconut Greek yogurt with some chocolate hummus and sliced strawberries…
    >:) Pav and I are getting to you!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I am absolutely sold on the frozen riced cauliflower! Had lots of stuff going on later today - and despite crazy hunger rolling in mid afternoon, I got sidetracked and forgot dinner and time passed and suddenly it was 9 and so...
    sauteed peppers, red onion, veggie sausage sliced up, added a couple cups of kale and 150 grams of frozen rice cauliflower. Stirred it around a bit, some salt and pepper, and WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWO!!!!!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I MIXED coconut Greek yogurt with some chocolate hummus and sliced strawberries…( some foods are ok mixed! )…. It was really good and filling….

WHAT?! Heresy!!! Better watch it Florida lady: you have a reputation and this sounds like a new trick! Maybe you're getting to be extra limber these days--in more ways than one! :wink:

This chocolate homus is seriously getting to me and I am considering going on a scouting mission!!!!

This dog is still up to his old tricks. Got ticked off about an issue I can't do much about a few minutes ago. Result was 64g dark chocolate and 52g biscoff cookies... and I had dinner less than two hours ago! :disappointed: should have gone for a walk instead!

Dinner: sockeye with baby red potatoes and carrots (pan grilled in a ridged pan for the fish; potatoes pre boiled and finished in the oven, carrots baked at 425 on parchment paper. Not bad. Would probably work better if the fish was pre-thawed and I wasn't cooking it from frozen but it still worked! Garlic, thyme, mustard powder, couple of pumps of canola... plus 222g of cherries! mmmm.... cherries! Will have to figure out calories in a bit once I find the "weight sheet" and fire-up "that other app that rhymes with meter" :blush: