Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm…..just finished having boiled cold shrimp dipped in zesty cocktail sauce with baked potatoes loaded with diced onions and light sour cream and a huge salad with feta and light blue cheese dressing….dessert is coffee and 2 fiber brownies!…..I have never been happier than I am right now eating the way I was before my break!…I will deal with maintenance later!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,669 Member
    Options
    Hey, shrimp!

So last night I had a nicely filling "late dinner" instead of "investing" the calories on my more usual "questionable" items.

500 Cal basically. 140 Cal of pre-cooked frozen shrimp.... quickly thawed in the sink while boiling water for.... these 360 Cal a bag puppies: https://nongshimusa.com/homev2/our-products/meal-noodle/shin-light-air-dried-noodles/

(slightly) spicy if you use the "oil" package. exactly to weight (within 2g) any time I've weighed them :wink: I tend to use a tiny bit more water than the two cups they suggest. Of course sodium bomb on steroids.

Mmmm.... I'm lucky I enjoy soups! :blush:
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    The cowboy caviar made for a pretty good dinner last night! I topped it with some avocado, and ate it with chips.

Breakfast today was an uncontrolled shoveling of brownies into my mouth. I hid them out of sight.
    Supper will be black bean burgers on the grill, with a brownie s'mores trifle for dessert (assuming there are enough brownies left...). We're celebrating the 4th with my cousins, which will mean a ton of really good food. I'm going to do my best, but will likely be a bit over maintenance.

My goal for lunch is to have something filling, light in calories and high in protein to get me through the day. Maybe a tuna wrap?
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I’m into frittatas at the moment, I tend to make a large one in the slow cooker then once cooled I slice it into 6 servings and put in fridge, it makes a few quick meals over a few days.

Last nights was-

8 eggs

One bag ready peeled Potatoes (I part boil them before adding to recipe) about 400g

Kale/spinach

One red onion

Broccoli (also part boiled)

120g 30% fat cheddar cheese

Pinch of Mixed herbs and salt

Beat all together, pour into dish and layer the low fat cheese on top.

I cooked on high for 3 hours in slow cooker, may take longer depending on model. Also works fine in a normal oven but takes way less time obviously. So yummy and filling.

I've never thought of doing frittata in the slow cooker! Great way to avoid the oven on a hot day!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,647 Member
    Options
    @PineappleAltz I haven't had frittata in forever! Wonderful idea. Had no idea what today's dinner was going to be either, now I think I know. This could cover my dinners until my grandson is here for dinner - which is a surprisingly long way away this week - not till Friday. I see at least 4 frittato dinners in my future....(might give some away)...and I have some nice asparagus in the fridge and some feta. This is feeling pretty exciting. Thank you.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Well I copped out on the frittata front - long walk today in the sun left me kinda woozy and headachey (you'd think I would wear a hat!) ... so had an Amy's Mattar Paneer frozen dinner. Pretty good - only 370 calories - and roasted those asparagus to have on the side.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Well, then. I have no idea why I ended up with 55.7% of 292g eggs, 223g potatoes, 116g onion, 175g yellow peppers, 8g oil, 33g parmesan petals, 75g yogurt, unknown water, 11g freeze dried garlic, 2g freeze dried chives, 5g roasted garlic spice, 4g smokey paprika that somehow magically made it into a pan on the stove!!!!

I am pretty sure something in the air brought that one about!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    How does it work with yogurt?! Great idea...a bit more protein is always a good thing.

Do tell do tell because tomorrow will be my frittata day!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    How does it work with yogurt?! Great idea...a bit more protein is always a good thing.

Do tell do tell because tomorrow will be my frittata day!

It works GREAT with yogurt if you don't have milk and you've put so many freeze dried items the eggs are not even runny so you dilute them with water and then you put too much water and you need to undilute the eggs and you have not other eggs but you do have greek yogurt, see?!?!? :wink:

I can more testify to yogurt in instant mash potatoes: definitely works for me there. When heating the yogurt there is a non trivial risk it will curdle, which is why I used so little.

I made the whole thing in a covered non stick pan on the stove... no oven!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I love your style!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    You are a master seat of your pants chef (the best kind I think) - tomorrow I will try...maybe with cottage cheese!?
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    Today has been just cleaning out the fridge, which one needs to do on occasion. None of us are having good mental health days and Girlfriend's back (she has a ruptured disk) has been acting up giving her ferocious leg pain.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Laurie and PAV….do you ever think about simply following a recipe?….SMH
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Oh, Connie, those recipes beg to be rewritten!
  • PAV8888
    Options
  • PineappleAltz
    PineappleAltz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @lauriekallis ooh I’ve never tried it with feta! Definitely adding that to my next one 😁
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    @lauriekallis ooh I’ve never tried it with feta! Definitely adding that to my next one 😁

Just eating it now! Turned into today's lunch rather than dinner. Feta - and actually the cottage cheese I added worked well too! Sorry @PAV8888 I didn't brave the greek yoghurt. "Curdle" scared me.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Deliciousness in a pan! Woohoo.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Since I was in the kitchen chopping and cooking for the fritatta I made a pasta sauce too - with kale and black beans, peppers and red onions, garlic and lots of herbs from the garden. Finally, tonight, I'll try those zuchinni noodles! Such an exciting food day.