Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,619 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Well *I* thought that the (very red) beet pasta was quite tasty and plentiful. But, I did get low level grousing from dad about the inadequacy of his 734g portion, even though it came to 695 Cal

Oh, well, *I* can't complain too much as it was quite tasty... plus I got the bigger half at 955g and just over 900 Cal :smile:

u158hatez62f.png
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,624 Member
    Options
    Sour cream for the perogies - not the veggies on the side. :) And it did make me happy. Lots of "safe" decadence with not so many calories. Kinda wanted to slather it on my oversunned skin and let it soak up all that coolness. (okay, yes, I've maybe lost my mind.)

Now that cookie sounds dangerous. Peanut butter and oatmeal and raisin!!!!! I think it might be waiting for me to come save it from the clear abandonment it is suffering. One of my favourite snacks used to be peanut butter on a cracker...dotted with raisins....and then some super thin slices of fresh ginger if I was going all out that day! I'm sure that sounds just amazing to you, Connie :p

I'm busy learning....AGAIN.....that wheat is way to tricky to tango (tangle?! lol) with. I'm up at 4 in the morning...up most of the night...craving. Lol. Not hungry. Just wanting something wheat-based. I do so well if I avoid it...and unless I play around too liberally with crackers - my occasional okay wheat based food - I can get away with the occasional pizza and sweet baked treat. But once this wheat bender starts, it seems to be weeks before I get out of it. This is the 3rd time this year. Maybe I'll remember next time I think - hey, I"ll have some crackers with the soup - or cheese and crackers for lunch - or crackers and hummus for a snack - I'll remember. NO. Tomorrow will be pita. Then naan bread. Than a BIG PROBLEM ahead. I think I have wheat-addicted hamsters in my brain (perhaps all over my innards) and once they get going, those little wheels just won't stop.

It's not like I'm trying to give up ice cream or chocolate forever or anything like that!

I can live without wheat. It isn't really a big deal, until it is.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    We have a side table in the kitchen and I call it “The Carb Table”… at any time it is heaped with English Muffins ( 3 kinds), bagels, croissants ( 2 kinds ),flat out wraps, low carb tortillas, pita bread, rye swirled bread,white and wheat bread, cookies, sub rolls, and ciabatta rolls…( that is what is on it right now!)… I choose to ignore them because this stuff is always in our house….but I also keep all of my tomatoes, bananas, peaches, potatoes, onions, garlic and doggie treats here so I can’t avoid it!…Laurie, you would love this table!

Peanut butter on crackers is ok but not with raisons and certainly no ginger on them!…I have food rules, you know lol….

Today is clean out the fridge so not sure what dinner is going to be,,,

PAV, beets are not pasta….
  • PAV8888
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Of course beets beat the pasta Connie. Way superior.

Laurie I can prove to you that it's the baking goodness not the wheat: have a couple of bowls of whole grain cream of wheat and add some wheat germ/bran to it too while you're at it. Now tell me whether that brings out a naan or croissant hamster?

Mmmm.... thank you for coming up with breakfast Laurie! 😘

Pouch of whole wheat instant cream of wheat with a dollop of yogurt vanilla almond milk and some poo-berries coming right up, and well within the edit post time window! 👍

qzxhbu20hfwf.png

jdnzckrfk9sc.jpg

PSA: use an oversized bowl and watch the microwave like a hawk... the volcanic action when it's cooked (I am assuming when the wheat proteins coagulate)... is something to behold! <-- ask me how I know that there exists NO BOWL SIZE TOO LARGE!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Cream of wheat is NOT on my food choices….my aunt would make this God awful cream of wheat for breakfast when I stayed with my cousins…I had to eat it or nothing so I chose to eat nothing….( she also cooked runny eggs, ugh )… thank goodness lunch was better or my cousins and I would eat veggies and fruit in the garden!
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Malt-o-meal >> Cream of wheat
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    eliezalot wrote: »
    Malt-o-meal >> Cream of wheat

Nope, it tastes the same just like oatmeal lol….I don’t like it either!…I have tried the maple cream of wheat and I dont really like it….but I love grits lol
  • PAV8888
    Options
    pfff: my breakfast was most excellent and I am NOT getting bugged by muffin, croissant, bagel, cookie, or any other type of hamsters at this particular millisecond! :naughty:

What is this malt-o-meal you speak off? There exists a food group I am unaware off?

Connie: I see we still have some work to do with your hamsters! :lol:
  • eliezalot
    Options
    @conniewilkins56 The only grits I love are cheesy grits. Mmmm maybe with some shrimp, some fresh cracked pepper, a dash of hot sauce...

@PAV8888 it is very much a Minnesota thing. (I went to college in the town that had the malt-o-meal factory, it made everything smell like cookies all the time. Except when the wind came from the side of town with the turkey farms.) Essentially it is cream of wheat, but much better. A little coarser texture, and also has malted barley in it. I'm partial to the chocolate variety with some fresh raspberries tossed in. The maple variety they had this fall was also *chef's kiss*

What a few days. Work has been insanely busy. I worked from 5 am til 5 pm today, was up early yesterday too, and will be up early again tomorrow. Yesterday I was so hungry. I made a tuna ceviche last night, which was so fresh and filling (and didn't involve turning on the stove or oven!), but still snacked way too much. I finally decided to just eat a bit above maintenance. Today is better. A bit too many snacks again, but will have a decent supper. I just learned that I can make my usual Chipotle order work for my saturated fat needs. No sour cream or cheese, but there is a steak burrito bowl coming my way shortly. And a half bowl will fit my calorie needs tonight, and provide me lunch tomorrow.

• conniewilkins56
    Options
    Dinner was crazy….husband had a salad and a PBJ sandwich SMH….I had leftover shredded bbq chicken on top of corn tostados with hot peppers, mozzerella, and light sour cream….fig bar for dessert…
  • PAV8888
    Options
    A box of fig bar packages? A package? "A" fig bar? Is that a legal quantity? My fig hamsters bow their heads to you! 😘
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    A box of fig bar packages? A package? "A" fig bar? Is that a legal quantity? My fig hamsters bow their heads to you! 😘

Don’t get all excited my friend….it was a 100 calorie Natures Bakery Fig Bar….they have all kinds of flavors….there are 2 in each package for 200 calories, I had 1
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Cream of wheat isn't good either, nor plain stone milled crackers...plain thin pita bread - no good...soda crackers - no good. Do much better without any of it being part of my regular diet. I don't have cream of wheat or oatmeal in the house anymore, cause it just causes problems...lol...not sure about wheat germ though - never had any of that around :)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Okay if your wheat and croissant hamsters get triggered by cream of wheat I bow my head to their extreme hardiness!

I am still trying to wrap my head around eating one fig bar out of a package of two, and living in a town smelling of cookies or cereal! I don't think I would do well! :anguished:
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    PAV my family worked in the grocery business for many years….my husband and I bought the family business established in 1971… in 1984 we owned/operated it for over 30 years…we were a very family oriented “ mom and pop “ store that catered to mostly locals and in the Keys tourists as well…we had a full service deli, bakery,butcher shop,gas,produce and dry goods…we had over 30 kinds of Jelly Belly flavors…every day I was surrounded by fresh baked pastries,breads,croissants,sandwiches,steaks, etc…I am surprised I didn’t weigh over 500 lbs….I think we worked so hard we burned a lot of calories….we were open 365 days a year….in all those years we closed once for a fire and twice for a hurricane!
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,795 Member
    Options
    Lots of estimates involved in today's calorie count.

Visited MIL this morning and - in the interests of social politeness - I indulged in half an Almond Slice from the bakery. It was squidgily delicious, but my half slice weighed as much as a small house brick. Who knew almonds were so heavy!

On the way home, feeling that we might as well be hanged for a sheep as for a lamb, we stopped for lunch at a pub recommended by a friend. Started off well with a Diet Coke, but then I plumped for 'Minced beef cobbler and seasonal veg.'

This consisted of a serving-platter-sized plate piled high with a deconstructed cottage pie - a lake of mince and various veg cooked in a thick gravy (I spied carrots, sweetcorn, onions and broad beans), which in turn nestled at the foot of a mountain of buttery mashed potatoes. The added touch, turning it from mere deconstructed cottage pie into 'Mince beef cobbler', was two fist-sized suet dumplings nestling in the mince.

There was no room on the plate for the 'seasonal veg', so they were served in a separate bowl - swede, carrots, savoy cabbage, cauliflower and green beans. I thought they were all winter veg, but perhaps it's been so rainy and miserable this summer in Norfolk that the veg have got confused which season they belong to.

Anyway, I made creditable inroads into the mince, polished off all the veggies, ate about a quarter of the mash and the dog got the two dumplings. I may as well have ate the dumplings myself, though, because I certainly feel like a Norfolk Dumpling now!

4knxtvhkgza8.png
  • eliezalot
    Options
    Okay if your wheat and croissant hamsters get triggered by cream of wheat I bow my head to their extreme hardiness!

I am still trying to wrap my head around eating one fig bar out of a package of two, and living in a town smelling of cookies or cereal! I don't think I would do well! :anguished:

It was just as bad as my first apartment after college, when I lived directly across the very narrow alley from the food co-op. I worked evenings, got home at midnight. Midnight is also when their bakers came in. By 1 am, my entire apartment smelled like fresh baked bread. It was beautiful torture.
  • lauriekallis
    edited August 2021
    Options
    It is no doubt all in my mind - but since that is where the hamsters reside, awareness of the possibility doesn't help. Those freakin' rice cakes aren't good either - so really it seems to be an unholy desire for refined carbs. Quick energy. Zip and Zap and all that.

I live beside a large commercial building - was all sorts of things over the past century - but when I moved in it was an oversized convenience store with a take out counter and small bakery. The vent pokes out of the building just above my patio. And they have an old swing-out window, maybe 8 feet from my patio table. There was a sweet wonderful time when hot from the oven oatmeal raisin cookies where shared through that window. Not that long ago - maybe 10 years? - but a time when a bounty of fresh cookies didn't not throw me off so terribly.

Alas the business didn't thrive and Pop of this Mom and Pop business is no longer with us. Son is here now - and running a small import/export business of cigars. Fortunately no cigar hamsters spinning in my mind (yet :) )
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Had to take grandson to doctor this morning , the we went to lunch and I had a BT ( bacon and tomato on toast ) and some grits….wanted to get a good swim in so dinner is leftover corn on the cob, green beans and a dried up chicken leg for me with an old salad….John is getting corn, salad, and a sandwich if he feels like eating dinner….my husband is in a lot of pain and pills are upsetting his stomach….I might fix him a can of soup!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    qzxhbu20hfwf.png
    !

60 oz!!!!! :o

And - I must admit - I've been thinking about that dreamy cream of wheat! Just made with water though...and a drizzle of milk on top with those blueberries!