What are you reading?

Replies

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member
    @PKM0515 I remember Weddings in A Box, I enjoyed that book!

@trooworld @PKM0515 I'll have to see what that one (King) is about, it sounds interesting! The last King I read was The Cell too, it was an interesting premise.

I just finished The Other Emily by Koontz, it wasn't that good. It's like he half-assed genetics and time travel to make the explanation and he has a better imagination like that, or at least he used to!
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,783 Member
    edited March 2021
    @PKM0515 I hope you like it. "The Girl Before" sounds intriguing, let us know how you like it.

@Katmary71 I really enjoyed "Later". I hope you do, too.
  • trooworld
    Hello all. I just finished listening to "A Darker Shade of Magic". I got it from the library and was halfway through it before I realized I had bought it with an Audible credit lol. It was pretty good, I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars. I will read the next book in the series. I'm currently listening to "Station Eleven". So far, so good but man, does it hit close to home with my fears about the pandemic! I'm also reading "The Archive of the Forgotten" which is the 2nd book in a series.

GRAPHIC NOVELS: I finished reading "Daytripper" and wasn't impressed by it. It was just okay, 3 out of 5 stars. I'm currently reading "Seconds" and I really like it so far. It makes up for "Daytripper".
  • Katmary71
    They all sound good but especially Station Eleven! I've been mixed about reading pandemic novels right now, especially Robin Cook novels! I read a few at the beginning of the pandemic but out of all of them I think my mind goes to The Stand the most.

I'm reading Horns by Joe Hill right now, the guy isn't the best person and wakes up with horns and everyone's telling him their problems and exactly what they think about him and everything else when he goes for help so he's getting nowhere. I just finished his NOS4A2 and it was pretty good but it's one of 4 on the Kindle and I figured it would end around 25% but went on a lot longer! Book before that was Quickie by James Patterson.

I downloaded a bunch of free books on my Kindle but I'm not sure where they all went because they're not on my Fire when I went to look them up! It's fine, I have a lot to read, I'm just wondering if someone suddenly has a bunch of free books on their Kindle now since they're not on mine! I still can't download things through my Mom's account and I'm not sure why, I have to call her and ask her to get stuff for me which makes me feel like I'm 5!
  • trooworld
    @Katmary71 Yeah, I didn't have a clue what it was about or I probably wouldn't have chosen to read "Station Eleven". But I'm glad I did as I am enjoying it. I enjoyed NOS4A2 as well. I've read Horns and found it enjoyable too. That's weird about the free books.

GRAPHIC NOVELS: I finished Seconds, it was really good. 4 out of 5 stars. I started a Japanese horror manga (which the art is not really in the style of manga, more western in style) called Uzumaki. It's very twisted but really good. I am already planning on reading more by the artist/author.
  • trooworld
    Funny story about Uzumaki: I opened it on my tablet and I couldn't advance the pages. I thought the file was corrupted or something. I almost deleted it and redownloaded it. Then I remembered it was by a Japanese artist/author and you read it backward! Sure enough, when I hit the back button, it went to the first page. It took some getting used to, reading the panels from right to left, but now I am used to it.
  • Katmary71
    @trooworld LOL, how funny, I'd have been clueless!

I'm now reading the last of the Spider Assasin series by Jennifer Estep. It's similar to the rest, my eyes are scanning the pages while I daydream about whatever. I hope the ending is good!

There was a waterproof Kindle on sale on Amazon today. I had to laugh, my mom talks for about 20 minutes then pulls out her Kindle to read all the time, it's so rude, she even does it at parties! I sent my dad a text message saying he should get it for her so she doesn't have to stop reading while she showers. Who needs a waterproof Kindle? Don't get me wrong, I love my mom!
  • trooworld
    @Katmary71 I was clueless lol! I hope your book turns out okay. I guess the thing about waterproof Kindles is if you drop it while sitting in the bathtub, you won't ruin the Kindle? That's funny about your mom. If I could get away with taking mine to family events / parties, I totally would be that person but my husband would frown at me and I don't want that lol.
  • trooworld
    I just finished "Station Eleven". I hadn't heard anything about it before I checked it out. I'm kind of glad I didn't because if I knew what it was about, I probably wouldn't have been interested. It's about a pandemic that hits the world and society breaks down. This was written prior to the COVID-19 pandemic. Ironic. I listened to the audiobook and it was really good.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Yesterday I finished "Starting Now" by Debbie Macomber (one of her Blossom Street books). I really enjoyed it although I got rather frustrated with the main character, and something very unrealistic happened at the end of the book. I would have preferred a different, more realistic scenario.
  • Katmary71
    Station Eleven sounds interesting @trooworld I'll see if it's available from the library.

The Jennifer Estep ended well, it wrapped up the ongoing storyline so I enjoyed it. I'm torn on what I want to read next, I have the last novel which is short stories by Joe Jill still to read. I'm just not in the mood for urban fantasy right now. My Mom and I read a series that's considered a cozy mystery series and it has to be like the 20th book about people who see ghosts, I'm not as into it anymore but I'm curious enough to see what happens next and it's a fast read.

@PKM0515 I don't remember Blossom Street off-hand. Maybe if I read the backs of them. My boyfriend saw a book on the table and couldn't believe I finished that book because I was just talking about it (I finished it 2 weeks ago and read it in one day). My mom was laughing when he called me a bookworm after I said I'd read about 7 books since then, I get it from her. My happiest memories as a kid are all going to the bookstore with my mom and getting to get a bunch of books to go on new "adventures"!
  • PKM0515
    edited April 2021
    @Katmary71

I love the bookworm comment and your childhood memories!

This is the Blossom Street book I read:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Msls5Kaohgk (Watch it on YouTube and click the down arrow beneath the video and scroll to read a fuller description of the novel.)

• trooworld
    @Katmary71 I liked it. Thanks for sharing your happiest memories from childhood, it made me smile. <3 My happiest memories are the Scholastic book fairs at school. I always had enough money to get a couple of books.

@PKM0515 "Starting Now" looks like a real feel-good book. We all need those in our lives! <3
  • PKM0515
    edited April 2021
    @trooworld

Yes, it was! :)

I'm now reading a distinctly NOT feel-good book: "One By One" by Ruth Ware.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50892433-one-by-one
  • PKM0515
    Oh, I loved the Scholastic book fairs!
  • PKM0515
    @Katmary71

Are you reading on a Kindle Fire tablet? If so, some of the downloads may be "hidden." A while ago I had to Google this, and I found a YouTube video that explained where to find them.
  • trooworld
    @PKM0515 Ooh that looks good! No, definitely not a feel-good book lol. I wonder, do they still have the Scholastic book fairs? I don't have kids so I don't know!
  • PKM0515
    I checked the Scholastic website, and they are definitely still active!

https://www.scholastic.com/home

• trooworld
    @PKM0515 That makes me so happy!!! <3
  • Katmary71
    @trooworld I loved those book fairs too! It sounds like we're all lifelong bookworms!

@PKM0515 I remember my nephews brought home the flier advertising the books for that, I used to circle all the ones I wanted then I'd have to narrow it down.

I started The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue, I tried to read the short stories by Joe Hill which was the last book left in the 4-pack but I'm not enjoying them. I'm a little distracted so I'm having trouble concentrating but read the first 3 chapters before bed last night.