What are you reading?

Options

Replies

• trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,884 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    @Katmary71 Yes, it does sound like we are lifelong bookworms. :smiley: I started The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue a few weeks ago but had to stop to listen to some library loans that came available. I will get back to it. I was enjoying it but it was a little slow.

On Monday, I started Shadow and Bone #1. My book club is doing a watch party for the first episode. I wasn't going to read/listen to it but I figured it's a pretty short book (9 hours) so why not. I'm enjoying it so far. Before I started Shadow and Bone, I started The Seventh Sun (The Age of the Seventh Sun #1) which is interesting, it's set in the time of the Aztecs.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    I downloaded and tried to read "The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek." Unfortunately, my old Kindle Fire tablet was frustrating me. I hope to track down a copy of the book at a local library.

https://www.kimmichelerichardson.com/the-book-woman-of-troublesome-creek
  • trooworld
    Options
    @PKM0515 I've wanted to read that. I listened to The Giver of Stars which I've heard is similar. It was very good. I hope you can track down a library copy of The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek.
  • trooworld
    Options
    I finished Shadow and Bone #1, I really liked it and enjoyed the first couple of episodes that I watched last night on Netflix with my book club. I also finished The Seventh Sun (The Age of the Seventh Sun #1) which was okay/pretty good. I liked that it was set in the time of the Aztecs, I had never read a book set in that time period. I'm continuing to listen to Addie LaRue now. Still not sure how I feel about it and I'm over halfway through it.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @trooworld I just saw Shadow and Bone as a recommended book for me on the Kindle, I'll have to see what it's about.

I finished Addie LaRue, it was a good book though I agree it's kind of slow. I was curious enough at the ending to keep reading it though.

I started the Eleventh Station (isn't that was it's called @trooworld ) and so far it's good, it's easy to see that happening with a pandemic going on!

I was going to start a cozy mystery series by Lily Harper Hart, it's harder to search on my Paperwhite Kindle and I can't find the first of the series, just 2-6 so I'll figure that out after this.

Do you guys want to pick a book to read together? I'm game for that!
  • trooworld
    Options
    @Katmary71 It's called "Station Eleven", you were close! :)

I ordered the following books for Indie Bookstore Day yesterday from my local bookstore:

- Siege and Storm (Shadow and Bone book 2)
    - And Now I Spill The Family Secrets: An Illustrated Memoir
    - The Secret Lives of Church Ladies
    - Kent State: Four Dead in Ohio
    - My Favorite Thing is Monsters
  • PKM0515
    Options
    I just finished "One By One" by Ruth Ware. Can't-put-downable.

Honestly, I have a love/hate relationship with Ruth Ware. While her books are very suspenseful, I'm usually infuriated by the way she writes her main female characters. To the point where, in the past, I've been driving around listening to one of her books and yelling/swearing at the stupidity of the character. I even wrote some comments/reviews on Good Reads in the past, which I wish I had saved. (I deleted my Good Reads account, so they are no longer available.)

Anyway, I thought this one was following in the same path, but it surprised me. I really enjoyed this one! If anyone decides to read it, please let me know.
  • trooworld
    Options
    @PKM0515 I've been curious about "One by One', it's not my usual genre, but sometimes I read mysteries. I may give this a shot. Thanks for the review.

I started a YA novel, "Fire Keeper's Daughter". It's very good so far. Don't let the "YA" label throw you off. I'm not big on YA but this one is not typical, I think. It's about a Native American 18-yr old young woman that witnesses something which leads to something risky. There's a lot on Ojibwe culture, which I am enjoying learning about. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52346471-firekeeper-s-daughter
  • PKM0515
    Options
    @trooworld

Thank you! I just bookmarked Fire Keeper's Daughter; it does sound interesting.
  • PKM0515
    Options
    I've started the following, and so far I'm intrigued and enjoying it:

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/53138064-flowers-of-darkness
  • Katmary71
    Options
    @PKM0515 What is it about her female characters you don't like? I dislike books with weak female characters, even watching Days of our Lives I get frustrated because they need men to rescue them.

I'm still on the same book, I have 25% left. I'm not sure what I'm in the mood for next, I'll check out what you guys are reading first! I want to read one about the 80s music scene in LA but the library doesn't have it yet so I may have to buy it.
  • PKM0515
    edited April 2021
    Options
    @Katmary71

Honestly, they are just STUPID!!! They think stupidly. They act stupidly. They do STUPID things! :D

"One By One" was a pleasant surprise though.

I do think Ruth Ware's books are extremely suspenseful, which is what keeps me coming back.
  • trooworld
    edited April 2021
    Options
    @PKM0515 The premise of that looks interesting. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

@Katmary71 A book about the 80s music scene in LA sounds intriguing. What's the name of it?

I finally finished "The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue". I thought it was meh. I gave it a 3 out of 5 stars on Goodreads. The writing was good but it was a little slow. I was disappointed by it, I expected to love it based on the premise.

I started listening to "On Earth, We Are Briefly Gorgeous". It's beautifully written but the author narrates the audiobook and his voice is so soothing, I find myself falling asleep while listening lol. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41880609-on-earth-we-re-briefly-gorgeous
  • PKM0515
    Options
    trooworld wrote: »
    I started listening to "On Earth, We Are Briefly Gorgeous". It's beautifully written but the author narrates the audiobook and his voice is so soothing, I find myself falling asleep while listening lol. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41880609-on-earth-we-re-briefly-gorgeous

This looks so good, but I don't think I can handle it right now, emotionally. I'm tearing up at the book I'm currently reading (Flowers of Darkness)!

@LondonParisTexas

I'm wondering if you happened to read Flowers of Darkness? It's set in Paris.
  • LondonParisTexas
    LondonParisTexas Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    PKM0515 wrote: »
    trooworld wrote: »

This looks so good, but I don't think I can handle it right now, emotionally. I'm tearing up at the book I'm currently reading (Flowers of Darkness)!

@LondonParisTexas

I'm wondering if you happened to read Flowers of Darkness? It's set in Paris.

No I havent..must look it up!
  • trooworld
    Options
    @PKM0515 Yeah, I don't recommend it if you are in a vulnerable place. It is really good, very beautifully written. You can tell it is written by a poet. But it does pull at your heartstrings and there is a scene in the book that they hurt monkeys, which I wasn't happy about.

I started Pretty Things. It's interesting so far.https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52217478-pretty-things
  • Katmary71
    Options
    @PKM0515 I'm sorry you're in an emotional place, our group in here is awesome if you need to talk or you can always send me a message. Love you Angela!

I'm reading Bad to the Crone by Amanda M Lee, it's a cozy mystery about a witch who's a biker, it's good so far, not deep which is what I'm in the mood for. She's a pretty good author, I've read a lot of her books. I just looked for something on Kindle Unlimited and decided to give it a go.

@trooworld I'm going to click on Pretty Things and check it out!
  • Katmary71
    Options
    @trooworld that sounds like an interesting book, let me know how it goes
  • PKM0515
    Options
    That cozy mystery sounds good, Kathy! I used to read so many cozies; I need to get back to that.

I really surprised myself tearing up the way I did. I don't want to say more because I don't want to give away anything about the book. I'm okay. It's just that a fictional event very similar to a past current event brought back some memories. The author's writing really evoked something in me.
  • trooworld
    Options
    @Katmary71 I've never read a cozy mystery but that does sound interesting.

@PKM0515 Reading about similar events to our lives can be triggering. Every once in a while, that happens to me. Hugs to you.

I picked up my order from Independent Bookstore Day. 4 books! I can't wait to dig into them. I have a busy day today so I probably won't do much reading.