Daily Habit Checkin

Options

Replies

• Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 4,173 Member
    Options
    Me and my siblings (and my husband his brother) were raised on Marmite from 6 months old...most babies raised on Marmite love it. If you come to it later in life you're more likely to dislike it.

The mistake most newbies to Marmite make is to spread it thickly - a little goes a long way.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I am not even going to attempt to try it….I still haven’t tried those little fish in a can and my can of salmon is sitting in the pantry….I like shrimp and fresh fish like cod, grouper,flounder, mahi mahi, or haddock….my husband loves scallops but I think they are nasty little critters!….I would not eat talapia if I was starving!
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,990 Member
    Options
    I’m going to try to get back to actually losing again rather than just maintaining. So here’s my to-do daily list:
    1. No snacks/dessert after 7pm. I try to save calories but when I’m tired I get careless.
    2. Weigh and measure food more carefully . I’ve been guesstimating.
    3. Log everything .
    4. Work on regular sleep habits .
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    Tuesday 26th October
    1. Observe and learn
      Tea is a lot more thirst-quenching than coffee...
    2. Feel real, physical hunger
      Was genuinely hungry before all my meals today, although I seem to be building up my tolerance for it. Less acute hunger pangs over the past couple of days despite the meals being as modest as last week, and similarly spaced out.
    3. Just one more/less..
      I did an extra 3kms on the turbo to round off a lap - so 23k altogether
    4. Neatly does it
      I cooked up a storm....
    5. Slow down and savour
      I ate all my meals sitting at the dining table, with crockery and cutlery, and took my time over them.
    6. Leave a little
      Crumbs and smears....but I still count that as a win...
    7. Make savvy swaps
      I was going to have a roll with bacon, butter and HP sauce...I swapped the butter and sauce for a dry-fried egg and thus had a bigger serving of protein.
    8. Portion control
      Modest portions for all my meals today
    9. Move and bend
      14,836 steps; 23.11kms cycling; one full set of stretches
    10. Avoid empty calories
      No empty calories today.

That's a great set of goals @Yoolypr!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    You are both very motivating!….I have been trying to just make it through the day and sometimes the hour!…my binge last week had me up in weight but I am dropping it back off again this week….no insane cravings so far…I am very determined to get the rest of these pounds off and maintain….
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    Go for it @conniewilkins56! You know you can do it!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    Options
    YES: I too sprat out and deposited in the garbage the jar of Marmite my mom had right next to the bitter orange marmalade! The bitter orange marmalade did not make it into the garbage 😹 neither did the Jaffa cakes 😘
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    Are bitter orange marmalade and jaffa cakes considered quintessentially British then? Who knew!? Hard to imagine an English breakfast table without bitter orange marmalade, or a child's party without jaffa cakes!

I'm just about to have breakfast and now I'm tempted to have one slice of toast with marmite and another with marmalade, instead of just the one slice with Marmite. See what a bad influence you are....
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    So this is the tally yesterday:
    1. No snacks/dessert after 7pm. ✅
    2. Weigh and measure food more carefully ✅
    3. Log everything .❌ I need to keep track of the stray crackers, tastes, bbq sauce. All adds up
    4. Work on regular sleep habits .❌ Fell asleep way too early resulting in being wide awake at 1am. Managed to sleep a few more hours until a loud thunderstorm came through at 4. Going to br a long day.

On the food front- bitter orange marmalade, Jaffa cakes are in the pricey import aisle of the grocery store. Along with the dreaded Marmite. I do like the import Heinz pork and beans which is quite different from US. Much less sweet.

• Bella_Figura
    Options
    50% success rate for yesterday @Yoolypr - that's a good start! Isn't it interesting, the different things we struggle with? Regular bed time and logging every bite sip and taste aren't hard for me at all...but other things that are easy to others seem impossible to me! hope you get a better night's sleep tonight so that you wake up fresh and rested tomorrow.
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    On the food front- bitter orange marmalade, Jaffa cakes are in the pricey import aisle of the grocery store. Along with the dreaded Marmite. I do like the import Heinz pork and beans which is quite different from US. Much less sweet.

If marmalade is a pricy import you should make your own - I make about a dozen jars a year and it costs me about two pounds for the whole batch. Plus you can ring the changes and have lemon marmalade, grapefruit, lime, lemon-and-lime...

You can also make your own jaffa cakes:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mary_berrys_jaffa_cakes_58695

Yesterday I spent the day making a batch of chilli jam. I made 4 jars that I deliberately left on the runny side so that I can use it as a dipping sauce with veggie spring rolls etc, and then I made another 4 jars which will be great for basting over the ham while it’s cooking at Christmas (and then a dollop will also be delicious with the ham once it’s cold and sliced). Only 5 ingredients so much healthier than the commercial version.
    kn5on3jg1n71.jpeg

• conniewilkins56
    Options
    I can honestly say I made strawberry jam one time in my life when I was 21…. I have never canned a single thing….of course I have never had a garden either…..I can not grow anything…..my talents lay elsewhere lol
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    As lovely as it sounds, I too do not can or preserve. Can’t grow a dang thing in the heat here. Besides it’s just my husband and me for most meals. Our extended families live over 1000 miles away. Neither of us are big sweets eaters.
    I think chili jam may be like jalapeño jelly. It’s always available in supermarkets or farmers markets. No lack of hot sauces here. There are entire shops and festivals devoted to hot spicy condiments.
  • Bella_Figura
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I always have a glut of fresh fruit because my garden has so many apple and pear trees, plus we also grow rhubarb, strawberries, blackcurrants, raspberries, reducrrants, plums, cherries and apricots. All the fruit trees and bushes were well established when we bought the house, so we just reap the bounty every year. I also grow tomatoes (cherry, plum and heritage varieties), chillis, peppers and every type of culinary herb, and pick bushels of blackberries, hazelnuts and walnuts from the hedgerows. We eat a lot just as fresh fruit, I freeze a lot...and I also make jams, compotes and chutneys. I abhor wasting nature's gifts...
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    ..my talents lay elsewhere lol

Ooooh how intriguing! Makes you sound like Mata Hari or a glamorous assassin who has gone through life using feminine wiles and extraordinary sexual accomplishments to lure unwary men into danger...

As a prosaic jam maker, at least I have a wild imagination!

Love this, Bella - my reaction was the same. That Connie and her feminine wiles and exotic ways ..... <3
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I always have a glut of fresh fruit because my garden has so many apple and pear trees, plus we also grow rhubarb, strawberries, blackcurrants, raspberries, reducrrants, plums, cherries and apricots. All the fruit trees and bushes were well established when we bought the house, so we just reap the bounty every year. I also grow tomatoes (cherry, plum and heritage varieties), chillis, peppers and every type of culinary herb, and pick bushels of blackberries, hazelnuts and walnuts from the hedgerows. We eat a lot just as fresh fruit, I freeze a lot...and I also make jams, compotes and chutneys. I abhor wasting nature's gifts...

Wow. You are a busy, Bella. Think of all the NEAT!!!!!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    ..my talents lay elsewhere lol

Ooooh how intriguing! Makes you sound like Mata Hari or a glamorous assassin who has gone through life using feminine wiles and extraordinary sexual accomplishments to lure unwary men into danger...

As a prosaic jam maker, at least I have a wild imagination!

Love this, Bella - my reaction was the same. That Connie and her feminine wiles and exotic ways ..... <3

The stories I could tell!…
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    I knew it! You siren, you!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    There’s an old saying - “You can only be good in one room of the house. Pick your room.”