Daily Habit Checkin

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    There’s an old saying - “You can only be good in one room of the house. Pick your room.”

That sounds very similar to Connie's saying about Dieting is hard, being fat is hard, pick your hard. But she may have left something out somewhere along the lines!

Thank you, Connie for giving us all something to have fun with today! <3
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,990 Member
    Options
    Life is all about the choices we make. Sometimes a small insignificant choice turns your entire life around. I met my husband of 47 years by chance on a bus. What if I had missed the bus that day? Strange how it’s the little things....
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Wednesday October 27

1. No snacks/dessert after 7pm. ✅
    2. Weigh and measure food more carefully ✅
    3. Log everything .✅ yup even the not so good stuff
    4. Work on regular sleep habits .❌ ✅ took a long nap in the afternoon. Fell asleep by 9 pm! Actually slept until 4:30 am with only 3 wake-ups. Not the best sleep hygiene (as my doctor calls it) but there was a lot of it!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Wednesday October 27

1. No snacks/dessert after 7pm. ✅
    2. Weigh and measure food more carefully ✅
    3. Log everything .✅ yup even the not so good stuff
    4. Work on regular sleep habits .❌ ✅ took a long nap in the afternoon. Fell asleep by 9 pm! Actually slept until 4:30 am with only 3 wake-ups. Not the best sleep hygiene (as my doctor calls it) but there was a lot of it!

Great habits!….I like to stay up late and sleep late!….I usually don’t eat after 8 but I rarely eat any breakfast except coffee so I go about 16 hours with out food….I didn’t know this was IF, it’s just how I eat!….I weigh and measure every morsel I eat….unless I am on a Binge and that’s when I should log it!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    Options
    Sleep better is a goal I need
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Sleep better is a goal I need

Yes, me too.. taking sleepers recently feel bit groggy when I do, day after.

• PAV8888
    Options
    Have avoided them so far but not enough time asleep most days. 6 hours i've now defined as a resounding success and gets me 90s on fitbit.... Yet I still don't get 90s all that often
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Thursday, October 28

1. No snacks/dessert after 7pm. ❌ Stayed up way late and got hungry. Had a small granola bar within calorie limits.
    2. Weigh and measure food more carefully ✅ Hoping hubby gets off the sausage meals. Hard to be satisfied with teeny small portions of fatty food. Doubling salads doesn’t seem to do the job.
    3. Log everything .✅ Found a category in the food database called Random bites, licks and tastes. This covers the odd bits.
    4. Work on regular sleep habits .✅ Pretty good rest. Only minor interruptions and was able to fall back asleep within half hour or so.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Friday was MEH. No eating after 7 pm and weighed everything. But logging was off and sleeping was a disaster. So on this tired Saturday, I met a friend for lunch at a trendy restaurant. Had one of their veggie “power bowls” with undetermined calories. I logged it 600 calories but who knows? I think I need to rework the goals list for next week.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    This week I’ve narrowed the goals. Identified these three things as my biggest problems:

1. Weigh and measure. - Get out the measuring cups, spoons, and scale because obviously my guessing isn’t working. The calorie difference between deficit and maintenance is only a few hundred calories now.
    2. Eat slowly. - I find myself not mindfully enjoying a meal. It’s over in minutes and I don’t register that I’ve eaten.
    3. Regular sleep habits. - I think I’d be more in control if I wasn’t so tired most days. Trying to conquer middle of the night wakefulness.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 4,173 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    For the past 10 days or so I haven't given a detailed account of the habits I'm trying to form, but I'm glad to report that so far I've been managing to stick to all the behaviours that I'm trying to embed.

Calorie-intake wise, I've been listening to my body and not eating until I'm properly hungry. I've been having deliberately smaller portions, which has increased my between-meal hunger but not left me feeling unsatiated when I leave the table. And I'm eating more slowly, and not chasing every crumb with a wet finger tip.

Calorie-burn wise, I've been aware of my activity levels, and I'm mindfully trying to incorporate a bit more movement into my daily routine to ramp up my NEAT burn a little. I've kept up the walking, cycling and stretching.

And, most importantly of all, I've been observing myself - learning what makes me tick, what my food triggers are, which emotions/situations are most likely to send me diving into the cookie jar, what foods leave me feeling most satiated, and which set off a wave of wanting more. And I've been observing other people too, and seeing behaviours that I'd love to emulate and instil in myself in the long term.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Need to keep working on the measuring, eating more slowly and sleep. It’s been a mixed week with failure and success. I think the sleep problem leads to lack of focus which then gives way to sloppy measuring. Too tired to bother - just eat something. 🥺.
    The eating too fast problem is an ingrained habit that comes from years of fighting the clock to get everything done. I was a long time caregiver for my mother who lived to 96. Kind of a sandwiched generation thing - dealing with moms needs while trying to be a wife, mother and hold down a full time job. It all got done by sacrificing caring for myself. So now I have time and need to slow down and eat mindfully.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    The sleep thing...so true, right?

This past week I've tried to cut down "novel" candy intake! I mean I've got a full measure of "standard" clif bars and dark chocolate etc in the house, but I've resisted searching out post Halloween sales 'cause we all know what would happen if I did!

And... well... due to starting on MFP on November 20, 2014, November 20 is a natural "year in review" date. And who wants to end up posting a full+2lb of weight up-trend for the year?!?!?! :angry:

mantx2x9q357.png
  • Yoolypr
    Options

So still battling my three demons. Measuring and weighing is not ingrained. I need to do it rather than assume that since I’ve been on MFP for over two years I can do accurate eyeball guessing. I get close but a sneaky extra 100 calories here and there won’t get me to goal.

Eating slower and mindfully is an effort. Often feel like I eat to get it over with rather than enjoy the experience.

Sleep is the real bear. Fall asleep too early and the night is over at 2 am. Wait until 10pm and I’m still wide awake at 4am. I’d like a good uninterrupted 6 hours but no luck most nights. Doctor says it’s a factor of aging. Thanks for the reminder! 🙄

• Bella_Figura
    edited November 2021
    Options
    So I'm back to refocusing on the basics - hydration, fibre, protein.

Aiming for the following minimums per day:
    • 2 litres of water + tea/coffee ✅ 2.2 litres + multiple cuppas
    • +30g fibre ✅ 31g (just squeaked over the line!)
    • +55g protein ✅ 82g

• lauriekallis
    Options
    I want to join you, Bella - and dip my toes back in the water here :)

Maybe this is my "maintenance (with hopefully a water loss?) basics."
    • To bed early aiming for an eight hour sleep. (now it seems I can kind of make it through a night).
    • No "treat overindulging." (not binging - though I don't want to see that either...but no having more than a reasonable/rational/dare I say "normal" amount)
    • Protein every meal
    • Get the walking back in order (Should be able to get a coat on soon. Can't right now because I have an "abductor cushion" in my sling that sticks my arm way way way out - so the only thing I can wear is a layered poncho/cape get up. It is getting wearisome. And it is getting chilly here - hitting close to freezing - and that has made it kinda hard to get out there for the second "good" walk of the day a few times. Step count is okay because I'm taking tiny steps I guess? Though I haven't covered much distance, I have achieved more than 15,000 steps most days.

:)

• Bella_Figura
    Options
    We can be back-to-basics pals Laurie!

Yesterday was a wash out...

2 litres of water + tea/coffee ❌ 0.5 litre (+ multiple cuppas)
    +30g fibre ❌ 13g (deplorable!)
    +55g protein ✅ 75g

And can't see today being much better...but come Monday I'll be back on track.
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    As predicted, today wasn't much better than yesterday...

2 litres of water ❌ 0.5 litre
    +30g fibre ❌ 14g (deplorable!)
    +55g protein ❌ 52g (almost made it!)

Red crosses across the board. Must do better tomorrow!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Young lady... thine fiber... better be a database error on MFP's part! :hushed:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    This is for Sunday... :(
    • :) Lots of sleep - to bed early - up in the middle but back to bed until 7! Fit bit gave me 7 hours 59 minutes....which means about 9 hours in normal monitoring.
    • :( much "treat overindulging." Thinking I'm looking for solace? Or calories? or a reason to kick myself really hard? Will try harder tomorrow. Cause I know Tuesday is going to be a birthday cake day....and lately that equals trouble. But at least I can aim for a good Monday and a good Wednedsday.
    • :) Protein every meal
    • :) over 20,000 steps.

Okay - I really overate today - but I'm glad I checked in because I did do many other things right!