Downsizers - March 2021 Team Chat

Options

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 40,959 Member
    Options
    Congrats @iradi8 for making it to one-derland ...That is an amazing accomplishment
    Congrats @Tazaria87 on your awesome NSV :)
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    Question

I know I am not the only one who has sleep issues. What are somethings you do to improve your sleep? Is there anything you think you can change to improve sleep quality? I am interested to here from both those with sleep troubles and those who sleep like a baby.

I usually am one of those that can sleep like a baby (if I do not take a nap during the day ) I lay my head on the pillow close my eyes and I am out ....Sorry I am no help ....I hope they can help you figure out your sleep troubles ....hugs
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,580 Member
    Options
    Question

I know I am not the only one who has sleep issues. What are somethings you do to improve your sleep? Is there anything you think you can change to improve sleep quality? I am interested to here from both those with sleep troubles and those who sleep like a baby.

One thing I have changed is I cut out my afternoon coffee. I do try using relaxation techniques and deep breathing. It does work sometimes.

@Megan_smartiepants1970
    Have you always been a good sleeper or is there any tricks you used to improve your sleep.

I will make a combined list of any tips people give and post in a couple of days.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    Question

One thing I have changed is I cut out my afternoon coffee. I do try using relaxation techniques and deep breathing. It does work sometimes.

@Megan_smartiepants1970
    Have you always been a good sleeper or is there any tricks you used to improve your sleep.

I will make a combined list of any tips people give and post in a couple of days.

I have always been a good sleeper .... When I was around 12 or so I went to see my sister in Colorado and then we drove to Flagstaff Az. I slept the whole way they thought I was dead because I didn't move and I didn't want to get up to use the bathroom ..I freaked them out lol....Bubble baths and herbal tea helped a friend of mine when she couldn't sleep
  • 888Angie888
    888Angie888 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @iradi8 !!!! 🌺🌼🌸💮
  • 888Angie888
    Options
    @lindamtuck2018 --on sleep-if I've had trouble getting to sleep, I'll take a melatonin supplement before bed. It seems to really help and I have never had any side effects like trouble waking up or feeling hungover the next day. I also like sleepy-time tea---but then have to get up to use the bathroom.
  • 888Angie888
    Options
    Steps 3/9: 18,335
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    Just got back from my Dr's Appt. The labs showed my thyroid levels high so I have to do labs next month and he said something about doing a sleep apnea test ...Not sure what is going on ... I did ask what I could take for no energy and he recommended B6 so I am off to go do that and run errands
  • azkunk
    azkunk Posts: 956 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    joizbtdglbi8.jpeg
    This cost me $3.50 in the cafeteria and OMG it is worth every penny. Tastes like a rich and creamy glass of chocolate milk. I highly recommend it.
  • azkunk
    Options
    Check-in for Tuesday, 3/9

Check in daily:
    Water (90oz):
    Steps (9K):
    Macros (P-105/ C-115/ F-40):❌❌❌
    Exercise 30 min brisk walking 5x /wk: ✅❔❔❔❔

Not a great day yesterday. I took my daughter to meet her friend in the park for some much needed social interaction outdoors. It was a lovey day, we had a picnic and strolled the grounds of an authentic Japanese garden. The weather was perfect and the cherry blossom we’re starting to bloom. I indulged in a few too many chili cheese Fritos during our lunch and it made me feel gross for the rest of the day. Plus the scale was up today due to all of that sodium. My watch also died midday so I have no idea of my true number of steps.

Oh well, today is a new day. Lots of water today and I will get my steps in.
  • 363days
    363days Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    grwob49120z2.png
    @iradi8 What a sweet, sweet victory this is. I'm happy for you and can understand your fear...it's a new place! You are a role model for your kids.
    @Bluetail6 For those of you who don't know, my son lives in Anchorage, very close to Bluetail6. I have talked to him 3-4 times in the last couple of days and he has not once mentioned the weather and the big potential storm.....ahh.. it makes me laugh. That's all I would be talking about!
    Tuesday’s check in
    ✅Steps 6,068
    ❌Sleep
    ✅Water
    ✅Track

Ok, my sleep patterns are becoming a issue for two reasons. One it affects my mental health which is just as important as my physical health. Not enough sleep affects my moods. Five years ago it got to the point I ended up in hospital with depression so I try to stay on top of my sleep. I also sometimes end up eating when I can’t sleep. This is the second night this has happened since Saturday and this will hamper my weight loss. It is also a slippery slope to binge eating again. I know all the sleep hygiene stuff as over the years it has been beat into my head. They bumped up my doctors appointment to today to try and to come up with a solution. Sleeping pills is not an answer. I watch my husband lay his head on the pillow and fall right to sleep. It frustrates me to no end that he can do this and I can’t.

My walk was lovely yesterday. It is beautiful out again today so I am going to attempt a longer walk. I am going to use the exercise bike first. I decided to do weights twice a week. I will do them again tomorrow. I will try every Tuesday and Thursday after that.

Happy Hump Day!

Linda, I have no idea if this would be something for you to check out, but I was low on progesterone and have been taking a pill for 2 weeks now. I noticed the difference the first night! I got a deep sleep without feeling drugged. It also seemed to help with a level of anxiety that I didn't realize I had until I took the pill and feel better. It might be something to check out if you aren't finding any other reason for your sleep issues.
  • azkunk
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970 - if it’s not one thing it’s another. Hope the vitamin B helps. Have you ever had zipfizz? It’s an energy powder you mix in water that is a bunch of vitamins, not caffeine. It has a lot of vitamin B and it really does give me a boost. You can get it at Costco or Amazon

@lindamtuck2018 - sorry you are having sleep issues. I hope you find a solution.

@iradi8 - CONGRATULATIONS 🤩🤩🤩

@rlaskey2 - I really need to explore skinnytaste. I hear so many good things

@lelbarou - I’m so happy that you don’t have COVID and you are starting to fell better. Take care of yourself

@Bluetail6 - hope you only got 6 inches of snow and that it was the light fluffy stuff that is easy to shovel
  • 363days
    363days Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    @rlaskey2 - I hope your neck feels better soon - wow, you really did a job on it. I still haven't figured out how to hook up the scale to my phone, have you? I have the same one...I keep getting distracted so I need to get online and figure that out.
  • TheresaM787
    TheresaM787 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Question

Yup. Same here. Ok, here’s what I do.
    No caffeine past 3:00.
    Dessert finished by 8:00.
    Phone/iPad goes off at 9:30.
    Wash up, get ready for bed at 9:30
    No television.
    If I think I need melatonin xr, I’ll take one.
    Play NOTHING MUCH HAPPENS on Spotify or Apple podcasts, set timer for an hour.
    Fall asleep.

That’s what has been working for me for the past two months. Good luck. It took quite a while before I found a routine that worked for me. Keep at it, you will find what works got you.
  • TheresaM787
    TheresaM787 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970

My son has been harassing me (with love- as he says) that he consistently has almost double the amount of steps that I do. This has caused me to do an extra workout to win (um, I mean challenge him to do more).

Bike 45 minutes, 11.81 miles, moderate effort
    Steps- 8,757 (includes a 35 minute walk)
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970

My son has been harassing me (with love- as he says) that he consistently has almost double the amount of steps that I do. This has caused me to do an extra workout to win (um, I mean challenge him to do more).

Bike 45 minutes, 11.81 miles, moderate effort
    Steps- 8,757 (includes a 35 minute walk)

My daughter and I both have watches(she has my old garmin) and I have a fitbit so we challenge each other on our walk or whatever ...it is kinda fun :)
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    3/9,3/10 no intentional exercise. @Megan_smartiepants1970

@iradi8 Congratulations reaching onederland!
    @rlaskey2 Glad your neck is feeling better. Maybe you could try PiYo(sp?) if you haven't already.
    @Tazaria87 It is so great that your parents are doing MFP with you and you all can support and encourage each other. Enjoy your new smaller clothes!
    @lelbarou So glad that you don't have Covid and hope you got outside to enjoy the sunshine.
    @Bluetail6 Hope the severe weather missed you. If not, then you will be incinerating those calories clearing snow.
    @lindamtuck2018 hugs to you! Insomnia just saps you. Hope the doctor offers some constructive solutions.
    @Megansmartie_pants1970 hope you get to feeling better and can walk today.

Ripped the skin off the bottom of my right big toe on Saturday. Will see dr. on Friday to see what he clears me for. The last time this happened it escalated into 6 skin grafts and 1 surgery. I may be called a "cured" diabetic but still have all the nerve damage so do not feel lower leg and feet injuries.
    Yesterday I went through my closet and dressers and threw out or put into totes for donation all the clothes that no longer fit me. It brought a lot of emotions to the surface and felt surreal. I never think of myself as being any smaller and people do not comment on my weight loss yet I have gone from 2x tops and 18w pants to M tops and size 6/7 pants. I saved all my L tops and size 10 pants in case I gain weight again. Am afraid of regaining the weight.
    Today started to eat at maintenance and have exceeded my calories. Will start over tomorrow and chalk it up to waiting too long to take a diet break.
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Hello All:

So, it finally started snowing... We have about an inch accumulated so far. I am really hoping for more as there is nothing like snowshoeing in fresh powder. Anyway, at least here, not much, but it is still snowing. I just cleared off the 2 bird feeders.

@363days
    Your son probably knew it wasn't going to be such a big dump of snow here. I haven't checked on the Seward Highway were the bulk of it was supposed to drop. Full disclosure: I was born in Alaska, so I love, love driving in the snow. Also, I drive a big truck with studded snow tires that I can throw in to 4-wheel drive when I need to. I don't take it for granted. I am very grateful. I remember the days when I had to use snow berms to slow down at a stop sign...

@azkunk
    We have a snow blower for the driveway and sidewalks. I shovel the upper and lower decks while getting stared at by our cat and dog.

@Beautyofdreams
    I might burn a few calories shoveling the decks or snowshoeing. I let hubs and snow blower do the rest, lol. Also, I am very sorry about your big toe. I sincerely hope it doesn't digress into skin grafts. I'm donating clothes that are too big as well. I'm not keeping anything "just in case." I like that you are thinking about the diet break. I know you have been at it a bit longer than I have. I haven't taken a break; but, I have been futzing around with upping my calories. I want to eat more, yet still stay in deficit. I am enjoying figuring it out.

@lelbarou
    What the heck... I'm very, very glad it isn't Covid as well!!

If I missed anyone, I'll be back in a couple of hours. :)

• lcfa5317
    lcfa5317 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    03/10
    Steps = 4,723
    Everything hurt today, so I didn’t exercise.
    Under calories- that’s good
  • heatherbluebell
    heatherbluebell Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    @iradi8
    Congratulations on reaching Onederland!!!! That’s so awesome!

@lelbarou
    I’m happy your test came back negative. It can be stressful waiting for those results!

@lindamtuck2018
    Oh man, I’m sorry to hear sleep continues to be such a challenge. You’re absolutely right that our mental health is just as important as our physical health, and they often impact each other. I usually don’t have many sleep issues, but when I do, I focus on
    1. Routine: bed time, process leading up to bed, waking up the same time – even if I went to sleep later than usual, keep the same routine throughout most of the week, and if I sleep in, don’t sleep in any more than one hour
    2. No caffeine after supper
    3. No napping (so I’ll be more tired at night)
    4. Entertain myself with non-screen things an hour before bed
    5. Warm relaxing shower before bed.

I hope you find something that works soon.

@megan_smartiepants1980
    When I was on Dr. Bernstein, their program is B6 and B12 injections. I felt SOOOO good with that, that I’ve restarted taking both orally. I think it makes a real difference. I hope you find it makes a difference for you too!

@azkunk
    I’m going to give zipfizz a try!!

@theresaM787
    Haha, that’s funny. It’s awesome your son’s activity level motivates you to do more! Where ever we can find motivation, we should take it!!

@beautyofdreams
    Doesn’t it feel great to go through those clothes, and put those too-big-clothes in the ‘I don’t need these anymore’ pile? It’s one of my favorite things to do! Congratulations on all your progress. I hope things go well with your toe and you don’t need that extensive treatment as you did last time you had a similar injury.
This discussion has been closed.