Downsizers - March 2021 Team Chat

Options

Replies

• heatherbluebell
    heatherbluebell Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've been quiet, I know. I've been practicing being 'gentle' with myself, and allowing myself to not be "perfect".

I put together my new sit/stand desk this past weekend, and I've been using it SO much this week. Most times I'm on a call or meeting, I raise the desk so that I'm standing. My legs and butt feel much better at the end of the day.

I attended a new yoga class last night, and it was so great. I remember taking a class in University, and realized after I stopped going, how much it was actually helping me. I attended a special class about 6 or 7 years ago for a friend who was getting her instructor cert., and though I support her, it was awful. She was a very skinny person, and most of the moves were way outside my abilities. So, I was a little hesitant to try again, but I found this studio based in my city which is for bigger people. They are offering an 8-week beginner virtual class for ALL body types. I figured this was the perfect way to try it out and test my abilities. I'm a perfect amount of sore today, and excited to keep on going!

It wasn't a super great day today... found out my car needs about $2500 in fixing... I had planned on buying a new vehicle once I hit 299 pounds, but after plateauing for the last 3 months, having 65ish pounds to go, and car issues coming up, I'm thinking I'll have to identify a new 'present' for myself come 299. I knew this could happen, but I was hopeful my car would be fine.. My BF and I also broke up today. It was the right thing, but it's weird how our minds work. I was the one that instigated the conversation of breaking up, but when he agreed today, it still felt like rejection. Why are we such weird creatures?! LOL I just started dating for the first time in my life this past summer (yes, I'm 41 and yes, it's true). He was my second BF ever, and I have lots of learning to do.

Work has been much better. I do expect the scale will be up tomorrow. I often have a gain right at the beginning of that TOM, and the stress from the past couple weeks is bound to have an impact. Light at the end of the tunnel though!
  • azkunk
    azkunk Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    @Beautyofdreams - I hope it’s not as bad as last time. Take it easy until you get cleared by your doctor. Your weight loss is amazing, my plan when I get to goal is to keep 10s and never allow myself to get any bigger

@TheresaM787 - I am currently bribing my son with extra time on his electronics if he hits an average daily step count of 8000. Otherwise he is a total couch potato

@Bluetail6 - I hope you get to snowshoe. I have always wanted to do that but not much opportunity for that here in the desert 🌵

@heatherbluebell - it’s really good. I like the fruit punch flavor.

@Megan_smartiepants1970 - does your daughter keep up with all of your steps? You set that bar pretty high! Speak of steps, mine are below

3/7: 6479 (rest day)
    3/8: 9921
    3/9: 4420 (watch died)
  • mszoueb
    mszoueb Posts: 155 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    iradi8 wrote: »
    @mszoueb
    Congrats on the new decade:) You had a great food/activity week and it shows. That sandwich sounds so good!
    lelbarou wrote: »
    A lot of people with some great losses recently! Congrats to @mszoueb, @garn76, and @363days for your losses! Super job!

Thank you both for your support, much appreciated. Sending you many congrats on reaching onederland iradi8, I started around a similar weight to you and still have a fair bit to go until I'm under 200, but hoping I'll be close by end of year.

I'm hoping to use halloumi again this weekend in a similar way, will have to check how long it keeps after opening first and what ingredients I have.
  • Z10Rtza
    Z10Rtza Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Hi hi
    Getting in real quick before we start with the class.
    My steps:
    8 March 🚺♀️ 11.504 steps
    9 March 13.625 steps
    10 March 14.409 steps

And today the scale told me that I'm in 131.8 kg! 290.5 lbs !!! I'm happy.
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,911 Member
    Options
    Quick check in. I just got back to the house. It is snowing like crazy, crazy. I'm gonna go to bed and pray that the snow blower is enough tomorrow. Otherwise 3 guesses who will be shoveling along with hubs...😂

@azkunk
    Didn't get to snow shoe today, last minute things have been coming up a lot lately😉.
    The first time I ever visited the desert, all I could think about was water. Where is the water!! My husband is from desert country.
  • kdlgiannoulis
    kdlgiannoulis Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So, I didn’t weigh in this week. I did this crazy run over the weekend where I ran 6.5km every 4 hours for 48 hours. I ran a lot, but I also ate a lot, plus my stress hormones would have shot through the roof. I decided to take it easy on myself this week. Tracking again today.
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,577 Member
    Options
    Hi! Will check in a little later. Need to go exercise and get a walk in before it rains.
  • red1185
    red1185 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    @lindamtuck2018 yes! I did walk the dog - she’s loving it lol

@Megan_smartiepants1970 I forgot to log my steps yesterday, 3/10: 8,601!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 40,805 Member
    Options
    azkunk wrote: »
    @Beautyofdreams - I hope it’s not as bad as last time. Take it easy until you get cleared by your doctor. Your weight loss is amazing, my plan when I get to goal is to keep 10s and never allow myself to get any bigger

@TheresaM787 - I am currently bribing my son with extra time on his electronics if he hits an average daily step count of 8000. Otherwise he is a total couch potato

@Bluetail6 - I hope you get to snowshoe. I have always wanted to do that but not much opportunity for that here in the desert 🌵

@heatherbluebell - it’s really good. I like the fruit punch flavor.

@Megan_smartiepants1970 - does your daughter keep up with all of your steps? You set that bar pretty high! Speak of steps, mine are below

3/7: 6479 (rest day)
    3/8: 9921
    3/9: 4420 (watch died)

Since she sits a lot during home school she is behind me but just barely...She has to do a PE log in school so our walks help with that :)
  • 888Angie888
    888Angie888 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Steps 3/10: 12,885
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    @Beautyofdreams Do you have steps for 3/7 and 3/8?
    @lcfa5317 Do you have steps for 3/9?
    Sorry if I missed it
  • 888Angie888
    888Angie888 Posts: 890 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Weigh Day Thursday
    PW: 234.0 (this was a 0.6 gain from the previous week)
    CW: 229.4 (very excited about this)
    YTD: -16.0
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    @megan_smartiepants1970 I went shopping both of those days so walked at least 20 minutes at a leisurely 2.5 miles per hour but didn't keep track of distance. So no steps for this week.
  • lindamtuck2018
    edited March 2021
    Options
    @888Angie888
    Wow! Amazing loss! You certainly made up for last week. You have done so well this year.

@Megan_smartiepants1970
    Sleep Apnea could explain low energy levels.

@azkunk
    Sounds like a great day with your daughter. After reading your post I am craving fritos. You get to start today fresh.

@363days
    I will keep this in mind to ask the doctor.

@TheresaM787
    Routine sounds good. I try to do the same thing every night but with the grandkids over last weekend I haven’t followed it in a week. I think it is great your son challenges you.

@Beautyofdreams
    I hope you heal without having to go through such an ordeal. I also got rid of my big clothes. Unfortunately, as I gain weight from August to early January everything got tight. Luckily, I am back to losing weight but it is slow.

@Bluetail6
    Enjoy that snow and you will burn lots of calories shovelling.

@lcfa5317
    Feel better!

@heatherbluebell
    Keep up with being gentle with yourself. Yoga sounds like it is really working for you. I have tried it in the past but my size hampered my ability to do it. Now with my knee replacement I can’t do a lot of the poses. Sorry about the car and the boyfriend. It is exciting to shop for a new car.

@Z10Rtza
    Nice Steps!

@lelbarou
    It was a little warmer here in London at 15. It’s even warmer today but I almost got blown away on my walk. Hope you get to go for one yourself. Glad you are enjoying your work. Is it all virtual?

@kdlgiannoulis
    Was this a race or competition you ran?
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    Wednesday’s check in
    ✅Steps 6,124
    ✅Sleep
    ✅Water
    ✅Track

I squeezed in the bare minimum of sleep last night. I will take the new sleep aid tonight and see if I can start getting a regular sleep pattern.

I am really late today as I spent 2 hours video chatting with my youngest granddaughter as soon as I got up. She is waiting for me to chat again. I never got on the bike because both times I checked it was in use. I did the longest walk I have done in awhile. Today I did weights, bike and walked. I didn’t get as far as yesterday as my leg bothered me. I used the weight chart and did some different exercises today. A couple hurt my shoulder but it is my own fault for not keeping up with physio. I think I really like the weights.

Off to chat with my granddaughter. Have a great Thursday!
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    jimboden3 wrote: »
    Question

I know I am not the only one who has sleep issues. What are somethings you do to improve your sleep? Is there anything you think you can change to improve sleep quality? I am interested to here from both those with sleep troubles and those who sleep like a baby.

I have bouts of insomnia from time to time but generally I just don't sleep much - last night was 3 hr and 38 minutes with an average of 5 hrs and 11 min so far this month which sounds about right as it seems like it's usually just shy of 5 hours and offset every once in a while with good night over 6 hours. Certainly not ideal but I just seem to be wired this way. I guess the one benefit of getting too little sleep is that I rarely have trouble falling asleep or getting tired - the trick is staying asleep (I don't have sleep apnea). Since you indicated you're pretty well read on all the different techniques, I won't go into the different tips and tricks here for sleeping but I can share a few suggestions that work for me to avoid eating during the wee hours which might be helpful.

I only have a few goals that I follow related to diet and exercise (4 each) and number 1 on the Diet list is 'Avoid eating before 6 am and after 9 pm (daily)' - notice I said 'Avoid' rather than 'No' because it's important not to set yourself up for failure because sometimes you just need to eat, and since Goal # 2 is "Track food intake and stay under my daily 2,000 net calories (after deducting exercise) at least 4 days / week and don’t exceed 2,500 calories / day (unless it’s a ‘special occasion’)" means that if I'm going to stay under 2,000 calories for the day, I'm going to need to work it off with exercise.

First technique - take your mind off food. Find something to occupy your mind and time while you either relax enough to get back to sleep or get to your regular breakfast time:
    • Have a cup of tea - sip slowly
    • Read a chapter in a book
    • Take care of chores or other to do list items (quietly as others are sleeping) - organize paperwork, clean / organize a room, go through your inbox and toss old emails no longer needed, etc.
    • Watch a movie or tv show that you recorded, do a crossword puzzle or play solitaire, sew, knit, whatever you're into to kill time or try to wind back down if you can

Second - If you feel like you need to eat, allow yourself to do so, but only from a limited menu that can't do much harm. Start with fruits or vegetables and try to wait 15 minutes in between if you need to go back for seconds, or log item # 1 and before allowing yourself something else, exercise until you burn off enough calories to earn the 2nd item. I find having an apple, a couple of carrots or 1/2 of a red or yellow pepper can take the edge off while not adding up to much - have some tea with it and you may find that does the trick.

Once I get to 6 am, the shackles come off and I can have breakfast and if I've been up for several hours, I'm usually pretty hungry by then for something substantial - often my go to meal is usually an egg on a whole wheat English muffin with some fresh spinach and avocado or roasted red pepper and a few dashes of Tabasco. This morning I had sautéed some mushrooms, onions, cherry tomatoes and spinach with 2 eggs on top of some whole wheat naan bread with a 1/4 of avocado with a small amount of cheese - very delicious and will keep me satiated until lunch for sure. On the nights where I do get some good sleep, I'm usually fine with some Greek yogurt or high fiber cereal and fresh berries.

Anyway the bottom line is figure out alternatives to eating and for the times where you can't help but eat, figure out a game plan for what's allowed and what's not ... until you get to a 'normal' meal schedule. Good luck!

Jim this is some great information. I don’t know how you survive on so little sleep. I can’t function with less than 6 to 7 hours. I am going to cut up some peppers so they are right at hand if I wake up. I used to do diamond art which is something you can’t eat and do at the same time. I am going to order some for the nights I can’t sleep. Again, thanks for all the tips.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970
    Sleep Apnea could explain low energy levels.

But I sleep 8+ hours a night plus sometimes during the day ...I have to go do labs again next month and then go from there
This discussion has been closed.