What are you reading

Options

Replies

• connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Finished:
    FAR FROM HERE by Nicole Baart (drama) some inappropriate language about 50% through the book. The book was okay, but not something I would highly recommend to anyone.
    THE STONE WALL by Beverly Lewis (Amish) - Of course her books are always good, even if they are Amish. This one was basically a time-split.
    TURBOCHARGED by Jessie Gussman (romance) - This was totally different for her. I don't know how I feel about it. It was good, but totally different from her light, and usually fun reads, and rather sad.
    SEASIDE SECRETS by Dana Mentink (LI Suspense) _ I have the next one checked out.

Current:
    MISTLETOE COUNTESS by Pepper Basham - Just getting started on it. I always enjoy her books, so I am expecting this to be good.

I haven't started on an ebook at this time, but I am sure that it will be a LI Suspense since I have 4 of them checked out from the library. I hate how you can never tell if a LI book will download to kindle without looking it up. So many libby books, especially LI and LI suspense are not kindle compatible on libby. It also seems like new releases are less likely to be kindle compatible. There are several that I return and put on hold again, and by the time the book comes back to me, they have it compatible with kindle.

• Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,336 Member
    Options
    I finished MISFORTUNE: A TWIST OF RAPUNZEL by Kendra ?. It's a tale that includes a vague hint at Rapunzel, takes place during the time of Belteshazzar, and has a mean old dragon in it! I quite enjoyed it though. Very short, just 36 pages (at least at my print size on my Kindle).

I am reading a Regency, THE DUKE'S SECRET but the author eludes me.

I think I'm reading some type of fantasy as well, but can't remember the title - oh, THE STEPSISTER AND THE SLIPPER, but again, the author isn't there in my head - maybe the new brain supplement I am taking will help with that! LOL!

I keep forgetting my Hoopla books! I don't think that I use Libby though, but do have Overdrive through my Library, but they usually don't have the books that I am looking for.
  • connierandel
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Kim - Libby and Overdrive are the same program. If you use the libby application for it, there is usually an option for the ebooks to go to kindle. If you use the overdrive application, it is easy to request books. Needless to say, I use the libby application regularly, but open the overdrive application to request books.

Finished:
    COMING HOME TO SILVER LEAF FALLS by Meg Easton (romance) KU - pretty good. I really enjoyed it, but I didn't see any Christian influence. It was totally clean, though.
    ABDUCTED by Dana Mentink (LI Suspense) - I don't know if it was me, but this one wasn't quite as good as anticipated.

I'm still working on MISTLETOE COUNTESS by Pepper Basham, For some reason I thought this was more of a novella, but it is over 13 hours long. I am enjoying it, though. I will probably finish tonight or tomorrow morning.

I just finished my ebook, so I'm not quite sure where I am going with that. I have 3 more LI suspense checked out, but after the last one, I think I want a bit more of a break from them. I may stay in a similar theme and go with Christy Barritt's Fog Lake series, or I may change genres altogether. We will see.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I have so many new books I keep turning in circles trying to figure out what to read.
    I started on an Andrew Murray book for my non-fiction reading. I started KINGDOM OF CINDERS by Deborah Grace White (sister to Melanie Cellier (I believe)).
    Still working on THE DUKE'S SECRET by Allie Kensington. I think this is just clean and wholesome Regency, not Christian fiction.
    Haven't been back to THE STEPSISTER AND THE SLIPPER for a few days, but would like to finish it.

I have KEY WITNESS by Christy Barritt and want to start on that one soon.

• connierandel
    Options
    I started on the Fog Lake series by Christy Barritt.
    EDGE OF PERIL by Christy Barritt (suspense) KU intense! Wow! This series is starting out like a Brandilyn Collins series.
    MARGIN OF ERROR by Christy Barritt (suspense) KU - This is starting wild and scary, too!
  • pianolady831
    pianolady831 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Connie, I read THE STONE WALL a few weeks ago. I thought it was a little slow, but still enjoyed it very much, as with all of her books so far. And it's been a long time since I read one of Nicole Baart's books, but I always liked her. Her earlier books were released through a Christian fiction publisher, but now I think she writes more mainstream. I'd describe hers as women's fiction, a genre that I greatly enjoy.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Carole - I have read several of Nicole Baart's books and have enjoyed most. Hoopla has them categorized as Christian fiction, but I have notes on some in my files that they weren't actually Christian fiction. This one is categorized through Amazon as Christian Mystery & Suspense and Christian Romance. I really didn't think it was Christian, and would argue the mystery/suspense and romance as well. It was about a woman whose husband's plane disappeared in the wilds of Alaska. I am not giving away the plot, but I just didn't like the book and didn't appreciate the ending.

I just finished a clean audio that I had on audible from who knows when. I enjoyed this light and easy collection to offset the intense series by Christy Barritt.
    Silver Bells collection (clean)
    FAIRY CHRISTMAS by Lucinda Brant (historical England)
    A CHRISTMAS PROMISE by Sarah M. Eden (historical Ireland)
    TWELVE MONTHS by Heather B. Moore (historical England)
    A FEZZIWIG CHRISTMAS by Lu Ann Staheli (historical England)
    A TASTE OF HOME by Annette Lyon (historical Salt Lake City)
    MY MODERN GIRL by Becca Wilhite (historical NY)

Current:
    MARGIN OF ERROR by Christy Barritt (suspense)

I think I will start A CHRISTMAS IN THE ALPS by Melody Carlson for my audiobook. I think I am on a Christmas kick.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    You missed Christmas in July so decided to do Christmas in September instead! I don't know why, but I don't read a lot of Christmas stories.

I am still working on the same books I'd been working on, just reading at night when I go to bed.
  • pianolady831
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts about Nicole Baart, Connie. I think AFTER THE LEAVES FALL is the one I read and enjoyed several years ago. It was published in 2007 by Tyndale.

Not sure why, but I enjoy Christmas-themed books and can read them the year found. December gets so busy for me that I start looking for them in September, so it's about time to begin!

My current read is a new type of book for me - HOW I SAVED THE WORLD by Jesse Watters. Still on the first chapter, but really enjoying his humor and writing style.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Carole - I liked AFTER THE LEAVES FALL and really liked the next two in that series. That is why I was surprised about this one.

Kim- I will read Christmas anytime. I think I wound up with that audible book last year during the season, but I needed light and saw it on my TBR list.

I finished:
    MARGIN OF ERROR by Christy Barritt (suspense) - Wow this series is much more intense than her normal books. Almost scary. I have a couple more, but I decided on a break for a little while.
    LET ME OFF EASY, COWBOY by Valerie Comer (romance) KU - This was good. Dealt a lot with family dynamics of a really messed up family. I always enjoy her books for a lighter read. Usually when I read one, I wind up reading the entire series, but this is the most recent and I have already read the others.

Current:
    A CHRISTMAS IN THE ALPS by Melody Carlson - Just started while taking my 3/4 mile walk. So I'm not very far into it, but I am sure it will be good. This will be a good bed-time listen.
    DANGEROUS TESTIMONY by Dana Mentink (LI Suspense) - This is already better than the previous one in the series.

• Restfinder
    Options
    I don't think I've finished any of the books I've been reading. I tried to start a book about Rahab by Naomi ?, but in the intro she states that it will be like watching a PG-13 movie, and I don't watch those. I started it but didn't get but a few pages in when there was some strong kissing (one of those where you are trying to hide from oncoming soldiers and you kiss to "hide" yourselves, but this kissing got out of hand! I just gave it back to KU.

• connierandel
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Just saw that this year's Carol Awards are out.

Congratulations to the winners of the Carol Awards!
    Contemporary
    The Promised Land
    by Elizabeth Musser

Historical
    Things We Didn’t Say
    by Amy Lynn Green

Historical Romance
    Like Flames in the Night
    by Connilyn Cossette

Mystery/Suspense/Thriller
    Dead End
    by Nancy Mehl

Novella
    Far as the Curse is Found, from the collection Joy to the World: A Regency Christmas Collection
    by Amanda Barratt

Romance
    Love and a Little White Lie
    by Tammy L. Gray

Romantic Suspense
    Lost Down Deep
    by Sara Davison

Short Novel
    The Christmas Bargain
    by Lisa Carter

Speculative
    Stealing Embers
    by Julie Hall

Young Adult
    Mortal Sight
    by Sandra Fernandez Rhoads

Debut
    Things We Didn’t Say
    by Amy Lynn Green
  • connierandel
    Options
    Finished:
    A CHRISTMAS IN THE ALPS by Melody Carlson (Christmas) This really made me want to take a trip to the Alps!
    THE BEGINNING by Beverly Lewis (Amish) Very good.
    THE SHOE BOX by Francine Rivers (Christmas - short) Usually I don't like reads this short, but it was really sweet.
    TIPPING POINT by Christy Barritt (suspense) KU - her newest. This is the last of the series.

Current:
    THE THORN BEARER by Pepper Basham (historical) - Whew, it started out with a bang. Very good so far.
    TRACE OF DOUBT by Diane Mills (suspense) - really good. It is about a lady that just got released from prison and someone is after her.

• pianolady831
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Connie, you got two Christmas reads in already!

I'm between books and trying to decide what to start next. Just out of curiosity, I searched through Over Drive for Love Inspired Christmas books and there's a ton out there!
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I finally finished something!

THE DUKE'S SECRET by Allie Kensington. Sort of typical Regency type romance except the secret keeps you wondering throughout the story, so there is a bit of suspense in this one.
    KINGDOM OF CINDERS by Deborah Grace White, part of a multi-author series where the villians of stories play the main characters and aren't as bad as we thought they were!
    THE STEPSISTER AND THE SLIPPER by Nina Clare, also part of the above series.

I started MISSION TO PROTECT and LI suspense by Terri Reed. Not too far in but it starts out with a bang.
    I also started PULSE by L R Burkard. Just started it so can't say much about it yet.
    THE DETERMINED MISS RACHEL by Laura Rollins, book two in this series. I really enjoyed book one but having trouble getting into this one.
  • connierandel
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I have gone though a lot of your list and compared to my Christmas reading and have read a bunch of them, but there are a bunch that I haven't...and way too many of them that aren't available in any of my library applications that I can "listen" to my books. Hoopla ebooks have a few, but text to voice is a pain in hoopla and freading has some, but you can't listen at all with them. I use freading periodically when I know that I am not going to want to listen. My favorite way to use that application is while standing in line at Silver Dollar City for the gospel music festival and we haven't gone for the last two years.

Finished:
    THE THORN BEARER by Pepper Basham (historical) - This was really good.
    TRACE OF DOUBT by Diane Mills (suspense) - Very good book. It was about an ex-con that just got out of prison after 15 years and someone trying to cause her major issues.
    A NEW HOPE FOR CHRISTMAS by Erin Stevenson (Christmas) - This was a Carol Award finalist in the novella category.

Current
    THE THORN KEEPER by Pepper Basham (historical) - started out great. I am having some problems with text-to-voice not keeping my place, though. I am sure either I will figure it out, or I will read it this evening. Very good, though. I have the last one of the series, as well.
    A MIDNIGHT DANCE by Joanne Davidson Politano (historical) - I just got started on this one. Her books are always good, so I am sure that it will not disappoint.
  • Restfinder
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I started re-reading a fantasy I have really enjoyed. The other one that I started re-reading I now can't understand why I liked it so much - LOL! Not going to finish that one.

Still working on the ones that I mentioned I was reading last time. I'm also reading THE SILVER SWORD by Angela Hunt. I have all four books now and so far am enjoying it.

Oh, Connie, I haven't read any of the Christy Award Winners! First time that's happened.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Kim - I have only read 3. I have two checked out right now, Joy To The World (anthology of novella winner) and Lost Down Deep by Sara Davison. I have a lot of books checked out, though. I just keep checking out KU books since we can now have 20. And library books mount up when holds become available.

Current:
    RUNNING BLIND by Shirlee McCoy (LI Suspense) - I am about 3/4 though it and it is good.
    A MIDNIGHT DANCE by Joanne Davidson Politano (historical) - Oh yes! I think this one is going to be great. It is about a ballet dancer whose mother was supposedly killed and "haunts" the theater. Really, she was severely burned and disappeared. I'm only about an hour and a half into it, so there is going to be a lot happening.

Finished:
    THE THORN KEEPER by Pepper Basham (historical) - This series is great. I have the next one checked out, but don't want to start it until I finish the historical audiobook. They both take place in Europe and I don't usually like to read anything similar at all at the same time. This series takes place after the sinking of the Lusitania. There are Americans in the books so far, but the US isn't actually involved at this point. It probably will be in the next book.
    TRACE OF DOUBT by Diane Mills (suspense) - very good!
  • pianolady831
    Options
    Thanks for posting the Carol Award list, Connie. Some of my favorite reads have come from award-winning books and nominees. Like Kim, I haven't read any of these yet.

I have several books going at the same time, but decided to add a Love Inspired Christmas book into the mix and am loving it - THE CHRISTMAS CHILD by Linda Goodnight. It's an older book that I found on my recent OverDrive search.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I returned several KU books yesterday when I was going through my contents and devices at Amazon. Forgot they were there! heehee! How exciting, I can get 20 books now. Too often I got that list saying I already had my limit, what do I want to turn in?

Still working on the same books. I got an e-mail from Tracey Higley and that reminded me that I didn't finish with the second book in her time-travel series, and I was liking it too! Hmmm! Gotta remember to go find that one - yeah, like that is going to happen!