What are you reading

Options

Replies

• connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options
    Current:
    A MIDNIGHT DANCE by Joanne Davidson Politano (historical) - It is really good and I probably need to just give in and listen to it to finish it. I am about half way through. I do have more audiobooks checked out, so I don't need to try to make it last, I have just been reading such good ebooks.
    LINE OF DUTY by Christy Barritt (suspense) KU - This is the last book in the Fog Lake series. These are a lot more suspenseful than her others, although they do have the thread of romance woven in. I think they are more along the lines of thriller... Anyway, I had to take a break between them for a little lighter reading. I'm a little more than half way through this, so will probably finish sometime today.

Finished:
    RUNNING BLIND by Shirlee McCoy (LI Suspense) - Pretty good, they have more of the series on libby/overdrive so I will probably check out the next one as soon as I finish some of the books already on loan.
    BRINK OF DANGER by Christy Barritt (suspense) - Book #3 in Fog Lake series.

• pianolady831
    pianolady831 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Connie, do you do the audio version of books most of the time?

Just finished THE CHRISTMAS CHILD by Linda Goodnight (Love Inspired). Really enjoyed it. Good storyline and characters, loved the way Christian themes were woven in.
  • connierandel
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Carole - I listen most of the time, but do text-to-voice on ebooks far more than I do audiobooks. They are so many more available and my KU subscription and libraries keep me supplied with loads of books.

I finished LINE OF DUTY by Christy Barritt (suspense). This is the last of the Fog Lake series that has been released, but I believe another is in the works. They are a bit intense, but very good.

I haven't started another ebook, and am listening to A MIDNIGHT DANCE by Joanne Davidson Politano (historical) today to try to finish it. Just listening right before bed isn't getting me through it quickly enough. I usually go to bed by myself and listen for about an hour before Bill comes to bed. With this huge cast on his foot, I haven't been doing that and have been doing ebooks until we head to bed. I have to help him get covers situated after he climbs in. He says I don't, but it seems much easier that way. Anyway, I use a bluetooth headset and listen for about 20 minutes instead of an hour or so. I love sleep timers on audiobooks!
  • Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I listen using text-to-speech most of the time. When Wade is ready to go to sleep I'll take out the earphones and just read. I usually play Kindle games on another device while listening to a book.

Still working on the same stuff.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Well, I finished A MIDNIGHT DANCE by Joanne Davidson Politano (historical). I really enjoyed it. Now, I am listening to a really long book (17 hours), THE SWAN HOUSE by Elizabeth Musser. I decided on this one to read the first two books in the series before reading book #3 which was on the Christy Award list (The Promised Land). The only way I have found to get that one free is on hoopla ebook - so I will see when I get to it.

I haven't started an ebook yet, but I will go back and finish the Penned In Time series: THE THORN HEALER by Pepper Basham (historical). The first books took off with a bang, so I am expecting this one will as well. I will probably start it this afternoon after I make my daily call to mom. I will have to turn off my audiobook I have going on my phone, so this will be a good time to switch.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I think I read THE SWAN HOUSE several years ago and really liked it.

Still working on several books, don't think I've finished anything yet, but getting close! LOL!
  • connierandel
    Options
    Finished:
    Joy To The World anthology
    HEAVEN AND NATURE SING by Carolyn Miller (historical Christmas)
    FAR AS THE CURSE IS FOUND by Amanda Barratt (historical Christmas) - Carol award winner. Very good, even if I am not a fan of early 1800's England.

ONE CHRISTMAS EVE by Robin Patchen (Christmas extravaganza) KU
    FAITH HOUSE by Robin Patchen (Christmas extravaganza) KU - These were on Carol's list. They are part of Christmas Extravaganza, which I hadn't heard of, but there are bunches of them. I read one earlier in the month, too. I think they were all published last year.

Current:
    THE SWAN HOUSE by Elizabeth Musser - I was having some problems getting really involved in this one. I didn't listen to it last night before sleep because I just had a few pages left in my ebook, so I listened to the end of it, instead. I don't usually do ebooks because there isn't a sleep timer on them. It is a 17 hour book, so it is not going to be a quick listen.
    WONDERS OF HIS LOVE by Erica Vetsch (historical Christmas) - book 3 in the Joy To The World anthology. So far, very good.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I started to re-read a fantasy series, but just not getting into it like I did the first time through. Will probably just quit.

I finished MISSION TO PROTECT by Terri Reed (can't remember if I mentioned that) and it was good. It's an LI suspense.

I've read 11 books so far this month, I'm surprised because it felt like I kept not finishing anything, but apparently I have! LOL!

I got the last book in Tracey Higley's Time travel series, A TIME TO LOVE and will start on that soon. I also started THE KEEPER OF THE STONE by Donna Fletcher Crow, a series about the gospel in Ireland. I've started a couple of others but just can't motivate myself to go back to them.

I'm listening to an Andrew Murray book on Holiness. I have several of his and will try and work my way through those.

• connierandel
    Options
    I finally finished THE SWAN HOUSE by Elizabeth Musser. I really didn't care that much for it when I was listening in short spurts, but decided to listen for a while today to see if I could get into it. Well....I got into it all right, and couldn't get back out of it. I really enjoyed it, after all.

I started on An Amish Christmas Wedding anthology. I'm on the second book. I also started on Christmas Lights and Romance Collection. I'm on the second book in it as well.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I have really been on a Christmas book binge. I have several checked out on KU and a couple from the library, but I am going to start doing other books inbetween. I think I have read so many that they are flowing into each other.

Current:
    THE MISCHIEF THIEF by Johnnie Alexander (Mosaic Collection) KU. It is about a thief, and I am having a little bit of a problem really getting into it. I usually like her books, and I have liked all of the Mosaic Collection books that I have read, so I'm not giving up on it.

Finished:
    Christmas Lights and Romance Collection KU
    CHRISTMAS LIGHTS AND LOVE by Joi Copeland
    NEW MESSAGES, OLD MEMORIES by Judy Goodman Howard (rom susp)
    CHRISTMAS IN GALWAY by Elizabeth Ludwig
    SCROOGE'S HOLLY DAZE by Patti Jo Moore
    PARADE OF HEARTS by J. Carol Nemeth (rom susp)
    A GIFT OF LOVE by Martha Rogers
    CHRISTMAS ON THE HIGH SEAS by Diane Yates
    Some of this collection was really good and some was not. The one that I like the least was one by an author that I usually really enjoy.

I also finished HEART OF SPLENDID LAKE by Amy Clipston (romance). This is her newest book, and it is not Amish. I enjoyed it. I don't think I have ever read anything by her that wasn't Amish, so I think this is something new.

I don't have an audiobook going right now. I will start on one tonight. I have an Amish fall anthology and a couple of Christmas books checked out. I'm not sure which on I will start on. I don't usually read a lot of Amish and I have read several this month, but I have also read a lot of Christmas, so I just haven't made up my mind. A lot of time I go by the dates they are due back to the library, but these are all due within a 2 day time frame.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Oh wow! I think I will wait until it's a little closer to Christmas before I read some Christmas stories!

I finally started and finished something. A BAKER FOR BEAR, part of an MOB series. it was cute.

I realized I'd only just started the second book in the time travel series by Tracey Higley. Got to a part that was uncomfortable for me - she is made a slave and some things happen to her but she doesn't go into detail with it. I was reading another story and one of the characters was attacked by an Indian. Her Indian friend saves her but not soon enough. Too uncomfortable for me too, so not sure if I'll go on with that story. I like stories set in the pioneer days and the founding of this country, but not when they go in that direction. I know, it happened, but I don't want to read about it.

Time for lunch! Love y'all.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I finished A TIME TO WEEP by Tracey Higley, another one with an uncomfortable scene - sigh. Nothing detailed, just not good stuff happening in a couple of scenes in the book. I have book three and will start that this evening, probably.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Finished:
    CHRISTMAS AT GREY SAGE by Phyllis Clark Nichols (Christmas) - This was on Carole's list. It was okay. The author narrated the book and I really didn't like her voice, so the book wasn't a favorite. I don't know if it was her or the book. I have another checked out by her and I will listen to it as well, but probably not check out more audiobooks by her.
    FINDING FATHER CHRISTMAS by Robin Jones Gunn (Christmas) - a bit different than her normal style. There are more in the series, but the library doesn't have them.
    SOUTH OF SKYE by Mandi Blake (romance) - This was pretty short, but I enjoyed it.
    LOVE’S PLAYLIST (Potter's House Three/1) by Mary Manners - good
    HEART'S RANSOM (The Potter's House Three/2) by Dora Hiers - I had pretty much given up on her books, but this was good.

Current
    MELODY OF LOVE by Juliette Duncan (Potter’s House Three/4) - The Potter's House books are really not a series. The only theme is redemption. I have enjoyed all that I have read of them. Sometimes the authors kind of have their own themes in the books, but I haven't read any of them in quite a while.

I don't have an audiobook going right now, but I will probably start on the Phyllis Clark Nichols book that I have checked out. It is the next one due.

• Restfinder
    Options
    I started and finished the Marion Uekermann story - A MATCH FOR MAGNOLIA. It was alright, a bit frustrating when Marigold got a bit immature. It frustrates me when people in stories believe the bad guys over the person they are supposed to be in love with - read 1 Cor. 13! That's love.

I finished A BAKER FOR BEAR a cute MOB, not sure if I mentioned that earlier. An easy read.

I went back to PULSE, not sure how far I will get in that one, stories with teenagers make me want to just grab someone's ear and tell them to grow up! A house full of people who don't like each other and a Mom who is an emotional mess because her husband is an ogre - yeah, fun read!
  • connierandel
    Options
    I got started on Hannah Alexander books that I hadn't read. I really am not totally understanding her books. I know the Hideaway series was LI Suspense or at least Steeple Hill when they were written and I read several of them. Now they show Steeple Hill, but some are KU and some are not. Book #4 was KU, book #5 is not, book #6 is.... Since they are really not related except by the town of Hideaway (loosely), I am not worried about not getting them all or getting them in order. Since we have such close ties to Missouri, these are fun for me.

Finished:
    NOTE OF PERIL by Hannah Alexander (suspense - Branson) KU

Current:
    UNDER SUSPICION by Hannah Alexander (suspense - Jefferson City) KU
  • Restfinder
    Options
    It's been a long time since I read a Hannah Alexander book. I've seen that happen with other series as well, some are KU and some aren't.

I am giving up, for now, on the PULSE series, just too teenagerish for me.

I started RANSOM'S LADY or something like that, by Jeff Wheeler. This is the third book in the series. So far so good.

I'm reading a couple of other things, but can't remember off hand what they are - heehee - never said that before! NOT!
  • connierandel
    Options
    Wow! This has been a good week, book-wise. I won a package from Penguin books with a CD that has 10 historical romances on it, 4 paperbacks and a $25 gift card. I won an ebook of my choice by Dana Mentink, and a 3n1 ebook by Susan Sleeman (but I have read those). Lots to read and listen to!

Finished:
    FAIR WARNING by Hannah Alexander (suspense - Branson) - I did find that the library has the books that aren't available on KU in that series. I am getting to finish it out. I am loving the setting on these - all around where my Mom lives, used to live, and where we enjoy spending a few days now and again. I enjoy books set in familiar settings. This one was kind of funny, though. It talked about going out on the "Ducks" and they closed those down in 2018 when there was the awful accident that killed 17 people. The book was written several years ago, before that tragedy happened.
    SILENT DAYS, HOLY NIGHT by Phyllis Clark Nichols (Christmas) - I enjoyed this one more than the last one. I think it was because I was more used to her writing and narration style. I may try more of her books later. Right now, I have a TON of audiobooks checked out, so I need to concentrate on them before they expire.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I just got a note from Christian Book Finds that has NOTE OF PERIL by Hannah Alexander for free. Still working on same books!
  • connierandel
    Options
    l got that note, too. I went ahead and "bought" it, but finished it on KU earlier in the week. At least "she" is getting paid a little from KU. Hannah Alexander is a husband/wife writing team. He is a doctor and she is the main writer, but most of the books do have somewhat of a medical theme. The funny thing is that their names are nothing like their pen name. Their names are Mel and Cheryl Hodde (pronounced Hoddee).
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I knew they were a husband and wife team but didn't know the other stuff. I've always liked their stuff.

I'm working on stories in a fairy tale series where the bad guy is the good guy in these stories. I finished HANSEL AND THE GINGERBREAD QUEEN. I didn't remember that there was a gingerbread man meany in the original version, but there is one in this version. The heroines mother made their home a candy and sweets paradise for her daughter but if you ate something off of the house you would become a gingerbread cookie. She had a dragon pal who was a gingerbread cookie, but for some reason he stayed animated. She meets a guy in town and somehow he finds her home but she stops him before he can eat anything and stays on to help her with the potion she is trying to make to reanimate the people who ate from the house, unfortunately, the Gingerbread Man has them and she has to trick him into giving them to her so she can save them. It was good. Lea Due is the author, she writes Christian fantasy.