Options

Replies

• connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options
    Finished:
    UNDER SUSPICION by Hannah Alexander (suspense - Jeff City) KU
    DEATH BENEFITS by Hannah Alexander (suspense) KU
    DOUBLE BLIND by Hannah Alexander (suspense)

Current:
    THE SECRET KEEPERS OF OLD DEPOT GROCERY by Amanda Cox (split time) - Just getting into this one. I have really enjoyed the others by her, so I am sure I will enjoy it.
    HIGHER HOPE by Robert Whitlow (legal thriller) - I haven't gotten very far into this one, just the length of time it took me to take my walk.

I haven't had nearly as much audiobook time before going to sleep since I have been staying up with Bill. He has a hard time getting everything together for sleep, so I stay up and make sure he gets all "tucked in". I have just been listening to my ebook until we go to bed, then I'm so tired, I just go to sleep without my sleep timer, or a shortened version thereof. I will be so glad when Monday gets here and we can probably get that huge boot off!
  • Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Connie, I noticed something with Mom last night - when her "routine" is interrupted she gets confused. She wanted her lamp moved from her bedside table because it was keeping her awake. She has to have a night light on in her room for when she gets up in the middle of the night to use the restroom, so I moved it to her desk, across the room. She wanted to practice turning it on and off (although she keeps it on all the time anyway). When she went to lie down, she just stood at her walker - she kept trying to put on the brakes (which were already engaged) but couldn't figure out what to do next. I asked her what she would do after she got her brakes on and she said she would go to bed. She started to sit then stood up again, then finally she laid down. I didn't realize until then just how much she was relying on her routine.

I'm still working on the same books.
  • connierandel
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Most of Bill's bedtime stuff is related to the stupid boot! Getting pants on and off over it, pulling off the compression socks, etc. Then if he gets in bed, it is really hard to get all of the covers over the boot. He can reach if he lays on his back, but is very difficult to get everything situated to sleep on his side.

Current:
    THE SECRET KEEPERS OF OLD DEPOT GROCERY by Amanda Cox (split time) - This is good, but I haven't read any of it since last night. I got involved in audiobooks and it just got pushed back. I'll start on it again, soon.

Finished
    HIGHER HOPE by Robert Whitlow (legal)
    GREATER LOVE by Robert Whitlow (legal) - These were really good. I read the first in the series a long time ago and decided to finish the series. They continue through the same characters and really just kind of keep a lot of the same story line going.

I will start on another audiobook tonight before bed, but I have so many checked out, I have no idea which one it will be.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Current
    THE WISH BOOK CHRISTMAS by Lynn Austin (1951 Christmas) - this is so good. It is post WW2 and deals with grief and a couple of ornery boys.

Finished
    Texas Tornadoes
    DEFENDING MY HEART by Lorana Hoopes (football) hoopla
    RUN WITH MY HEART by Lorana Hoopes (football/Christmas)
    LOVE ON THE LINE by Lorana Hoopes (football)
    TOUCHDOWN ON LOVE by Lorana Hoopes (football)
    These were just light romances with a bit of a football theme, which I could do without. They were a good choice.

I will start another audiobook before bed, but I don't know what at this point.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Just reminding anyone that is participating:
    October Challenge: A genre or type of book that you don’t normally read (fiction, non-fiction, speculative, ebook, paperback, comic, etc)

I won 5 paperback books the other day, so I think I will pick an actual book to read. I do have an entire month to read it, so even if I don't spend hours at a time, I can get through it.

Current:
    SO YOU WANT A SECOND CHANCE by Elizabeth Maddrey - I was scrolling through my kindle last night looking for a book from the library and accidently opened this book. I decided that I would go ahead and read it. I'm not very far into it, but I am enjoying.
    JFK TO DUBLIN by Brooke St. James (romance) - I am enjoying this one as well. It is a light, easy romance. Hoopla audio downloaded a bunch of her books recently, so I decided to start on one.

Finished:
    THE WISH BOOK CHRISTMAS by Lynn Austin (1951 Christmas) - This ranks way up on the top books that I have read this year. It is a follow-up to her book "If I Were You." Kim - since our taste in books is so different, I don't know how you would like it, but it definitely is a favorite for me.
  • Restfinder
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I thought I put a post on here yesterday - hmmm!

I finished THE FARM STAND by Amy Clipston. Typical Amish story. I have the next two in the series as well. Not sure when I'll read those.

Still working on the Andrew Murray book on Holiness.

Still reading LADY'S RANSOM by Jeff Wheeler. Ransom is the main male character. He got the nickname when he was taken as ransom as a young boy so his father would stay in line with the king at that time.

I finished a fantasy LAST OF THE SILVER WINGS and am now reading FIRE WITHIN THE STORM, book two, by Kim Vermaak

Slowly working on A TIME TO LOVE by Tracy Higley, book three in that series.

I started re-reading WATER PRINCESS FIRE PRINCE by Kendra E Ardnek. I liked the other stories I read by her and got the second one in this series but need a refresher.

I finished THE SILVER SWORD by Angela Hunt but haven't gone on to book two yet. This is about the women in a present day character's lineage. Each one has a white or silver streak in her hair and it's that woman who will do something great in her time. The woman doing the research on her lineage also has the streak.

I'm getting ready to start another fantasy (a bit easier reading) called PEARL OF MAGIC, a re-telling of The Little Mermaid.

I may have to choose a cozy mystery for this coming months challenge. I sometimes start one but rarely finish it.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Finished:
    THE PROMISE by Beth Wiseman (drama) - intense!! I really liked the book, though. It was about a lady that wanted to donate a kidney to her cousin, but her parents wouldn't allow it at the time and her cousin died. She then was determined to give a kidney as she grew older, but was unable due to borderline diabetes. This was just the beginning of the story, but she was determined to help save someone's life, but it became very dangerous for her.

Current:
    THE WISHING JAR by Penelope Stokes (drama) - So far it is good, but just about 30 minutes into it.
    UNDERCURRENT OF SECRETS by Rachel Scott McDaniel (Doors to the Past #4). I started on this yesterday evening, but haven't gotten to it today. It seems like it is going to be very good. I really enjoyed the first three in the series.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Still working on the ones I mentioned before.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Finished:
    UNDERCURRENT OF SECRETS by Rachel Scott McDaniel (Doors to the Past #4) very good! I have enjoyed all the books in this series.
    SOME KIND OF HERO by Hannah Alexander (rom susp) - good, but didn't hold my interest quite as much as most of her books.

Also finished Under The Texas Mistletoe:
    A TEXAS CHRISTMAS CAROL by Karen Witemeyer (historical Christmas)
    AN ARCHER FAMILY CHRISTMAS by Karen Witemeyer (historical Christmas)
    GIFT OF THE HEART by Karen Witemeyer (historical Christmas)

Current:
    DON'T LEAVE ME by Alexa Verde (Chapel Cove) KU - Not far into it, but I have enjoyed the series, so I'm sure it will be good.
    THE WISHING JAR by Penelope Stokes (family drama) - it's okay, but not making me want to listen to it more than late in the evening. I have so many audiobooks checked out that I need to get through it.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Still working on the same stuff. I started a fairy tale re-tell and am mostly into that.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Current:
    THE SECRET OF EMERALD COTTAGE by Julie Lessman (suspense) - It started a bit more indiscreet than I like, but really has been pretty good since then. Sometimes I really enjoy her books, sometimes they make me a little uncomfortable.
    DEADLY HERITAGE by Marissa Schrock (cozy) - pretty good, but I hate it when I get two books going that are similar in genre. I keep forgetting which one has a farmer (this one) and which one has the old lady and the doubloons (the first one).

I don't know if I will finish either of these today, but will see before posting my monthly list.
  • connierandel
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Christy Award Finalists.

The FINALISTS in nine fiction categories are:

CONTEMPORARY ROMANCE
    Just Like Home, Courtney Walsh
    Some Bright Someday, Melissa Tagg
    Stay with Me, Becky Wade

FIRST NOVEL – tie
    A Noble Calling, Rhona Weaver
    The Edge of Belonging, Amanda Cox
    Rain, Dana McNeely
    Roots of Wood and Stone, Amanda Wen

GENERAL FICTION
    Set the Stars Alight, Amanda *kitten*
    The Water Keeper, Charles Martin
    The Way It Should Be, Christina Suzann Nelson

HISTORICAL
    Like Flames in the Night, Connilyn Cossette
    Under the Tulip Tree, Michelle Shocklee
    The White Rose Resists, Amanda Barratt

HISTORICAL ROMANCE
    A Portrait of Loyalty, Roseanna M. White
    The Prince of Spies, Elizabeth Camden
    When Twilight Breaks, Sarah Sundin

MYSTERY/SUSPENSE/THRILLER
    Port of Origin, Lisa Harris and Lynne Gentry
    Relative Silence, Carrie Stuart Parks
    Unknown Threat, Lynn H. Blackburn

SHORT FORM
    A Match Made at Christmas, Courtney Walsh
    Joy to the World: Far as the Curse is Found
    Joy to the World: Wonders of His Love, Erica Vetsch

SPECULATIVE
    Extinction Island, Janice Boekhoff
    Forsaken Island, Sharon Hinck
    The Story Hunter, Lindsay A. Franklin

YOUNG ADULT
    Dust, Kara Swanson
    Mortal Sight, Sandra Fernandez Rhoads
    Rebel Daughter, Lori Banov Kaufmann
  • pianolady831
    pianolady831 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, Connie. I always look at award lists for some great reading that I might have missed. I'm going to post this on new thread just for finalists and awards if that's okay. Then we can reference them easily.
  • connierandel
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Carole - That sounds good. I almost did that, but thought that I would just stick with doing it this way. I also have the finalists and award winners for the Carol awards that I could post there as well.

Aarg - I just got the October reading challenge for Avid Readers facebook challenge and it is reading a book aloud (they do allow children's books). All of the others were somewhat doable but this is not my speed at all. I have no children around anywhere, and my hubby sure isn't interested in me reading him a book. I did buy the first free children's book that I came across in a Christian/ Clean facebook post that I frequent. It is only 26 pages, so I can surely go read to the walls in a back bedroom. Hopefully it will be cute.

Current:
    CROSSED LINES by Jennifer Delamere (historical). This is a bit like Cyrano de Bergerac. Pretty good. I will finish it today.
    DEADLY HERITAGE by Marissa Schrock (cozy). It is good, as well. I'm glad that I got away from a similar book, so I am sure that I will enjoy it more not getting the plots confused!
  • Restfinder
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Oh man, that is a very humorous picture, Connie! Please, emote! The walls will thank you!

I finished a fairy-tale re-tell. PEARL OF MAGIC by Emily Deady and SKY OF WIND by the same author. I enjoyed them both. I'd read book one several months ago and I don't think I finished book two, but this is three and four and I enjoyed them both. Pearl of Magic is a Little Mermaid very loosely retold, since there isn't a mermaid in it, just a girl who can stay under water a long time using a magic oil. Sky of Wind is a loose retelling of East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

I started THE INN ON HANGING HILL by Christy Barritt. Of course it starts off with a bang - well, it starts off 15 years before it starts off with a bang! LOL!

I'm about halfway through the Andrew Murray book I'm reading. I had my Kindle read me 1 John last night as well and I quite enjoyed that.

Oh, I have read a few of the Christy finalists. Two of them I really enjoyed, one by Rosanna White and the other by Lindsay Franklin!
  • connierandel
    Options
    I have read 15 from the list and I have others ready to read. I won't go further into YA or speculative, but I did enjoy DUST by Kara Swanson. And Kim, I am such a ham, that I am sure I will be "emoting" if I mean to or not!
  • connierandel
    Options
    I'm so sad! They cut my borrows in half from hoopla. I do have it from two different libraries, plus my husband has a library card that I could use, but it was so easy when I had 20 borrows and I didnt have to switch.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    What a bummer. They probably saw you going through everything they had and had to figure out a way to slow you down! Phew!

I haven't gone to Hoopla for awhile, I keep forgetting to look there when I do borrow a book. I have so many that I haven't read that unless it's something I want to read badly, I just don't bother.

I have and have read a few of the books on the list, but many weren't even familiar to me. I have the Becky Wade one but don't believe I've read it.

I finished one of the fairy tale re-tells that I was reading: THE GOBLIN AND THE DANCER by Alison Tebo, which is a Tin Soldier re-tell. It was pretty good. The Goblin is in love with the ballerina, but the soldier is in the way. Kind of had a Phantom of the Opera feel to it.
    I started THE DARK KING AND THE ETERNAL DANCE by Alesha Adamson. This is a re-tell of the 12 Dancing Princesses, one of my faves.
    Also reading more in THE INN ON HANGING HILL by Christy Barritt.
  • connierandel
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Well, the reduction in hoopla probably won't hurt too terribly much. I just realized the the other library that I have a card with offers 20 borrows still, and the one I usually use has 10. That means 30 a month without using Bill's cards...there is no way I would use that many from hoopla since I just use them for audiobooks.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Finished:
    Georgia Rae Winston Mysteries:
    DEADLY HERITAGE by Marissa Schrock (cozy)
    DEADLY HARMONY by Marissa Schrock (cozy)
    DEADLY HIDEAWAY by Marissa Schrock (cozy) - There is one more book in this series, but it isn't available at any library as of yet. I checked on Amazon and decided to wait and try to get somewhere else.
    Shower & Shelter Artist Collective
    SO MUCH FOR BOUNDARIES by Brooke St. James (romance)
    SUDDENLY STARSTRUCK by Brooke St. James (romance) - I have the last two of these ready to read as well.

I also finished THE SECRET OF EMERALD COTTAGE by Julie Lessman (suspense) that I mentioned a few days ago. I did want to say that it was a big departure from her normal romance. She said that she wanted to write a rom/suspense, but wanted it to be 50% romance. I really enjoyed it, and there was only one place that I felt it was a little uncomfortable, but that may have been more because I was expecting it to be.

Current:
    BATTLE OF THE FLOWERS by Clare Revell (romance) - MFP challenge/paperback. I'm not very far into it, but I am liking it.
    THE WATER KEEPER by Charles Martin (drama - Christy finalist) - Just getting ready to start this one.
    LOVE STUNG by Brooke St. James (romance) - another one from the Shower & Shelter Artist Collective.