What are you reading

Replies

• Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,551 Member
    I started a fantasy called RECORDER and am really enjoying it. I don't get a whole lot read lately, just too tired or busy to read right now with taking care of Mom. Please be praying for us, we are having to make decisions about Mom's care that we had hoped we never would have to make but caring for her physical and mental needs is beyond us.
  • connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,809 Member
    Bill and I had to make that type of decision with his Mom. Thankfully he has a large family and they all were here supporting us when we had to move her.

Current:
    THE SHEPHERD’S BRIDE by Patricia Davids (Amish) - This is for my read through the states and the 75 book challenge I am working on.
    THE WEIGHT OF MEMORY by Shawn Smucker -A genre outside your comfort zone - I will start this later this evening. To be honest, I am not looking forward to it, but it was available without it going against the regular borrows on hoopla and now it is getting close to running out.

I have to read a fantasy and a Utopian/Dystopian book on the challenge as well.... Any KU or library ideas that you think I will like?
  • connierandel
    Current:
    THE WEIGHT OF MEMORY by Shawn Smucker - definitely speculative and a bit strange to me, but also very sad. The man in the book is dying (anytime to 3 months) and has custody of his granddaughter. I am about 1/3 through it and had to go to something lighter.

I am currently reading through the Save The Date anthology. I bought it several months ago, and just hadn't gotten to it. I was in the mood for some light easy romance, so am working on it. It is really sad that 2 of the authors (out of 12) were in heaven before the anthology was published - Marian Ueckermann and Shoshanna Gabriel.

Just as a side: Shoshanna Gabriel was an author of erotica books (Shoshanna Evers), got saved and started writing Christian fiction.
  • Restfinder
    Wow, praise the Lord she was saved! Too often it goes the other way around, author's leaving the clean stuff and including more language and sex into their stories.

Still working on two fantasies, RECORDER and THE MASKED FAE by Shari Tapscott, which is looking like a Beauty and the Beast re-tell.

• connierandel
    I am on the last book in the Save The Date anthology, now. It was over 1000 pages, and 12 novellas, so it has taken some time.

Last night I started listening to THE WEIGHT OF MEMORY by Shawn Smucker again, and it just wasn't what I wanted to go to sleep listening to. I listened for a half hour, then switched to EVERY LITTLE THING ABOUT YOU by Lori Wick (historical) which is just about the opposite of the other one. I didn't want it to kick itself off and reset the sleep timer way to many times!

I went back to the Shawn Smucker book again this morning for a while, but I just can't stay with it for a long period of time. It is sad and spooky and just not my type of book, but it does hold my interest and fits the reading challenge.

Kim - I have seen Recorder by Cathy McCrumb. Is that good? I need to read a fantasy and have a couple freebies that I could use, but who knows. If I found something that I might like better and it is audio, I might check it out.

What about dystopian or utopian? Any ideas there?
  • connierandel
    I decided to listen to the Shawn Smucker book this afternoon while I was trying to clean off the steps and porch. I got involved in it and decided to finish this afternoon. I will get it finished in about 10 minutes.
  • pianolady831
    pianolady831 Posts: 265 Member
    My first 2022 read was a Love Inspired romance, HER HOLIDAY SECRET by Jolene Navarro. This had a lot of relational drama, local culture, and was well written. Really liked it.
  • Restfinder
    I really liked Recorder. I believe it is Cathy McCrumb's first book and it was very well written. It isn't fantasy in the sense that it takes place in a strange land with magic and dragons. This is more sci-fi. Children are "gifted" when they are babies and implanted with a device in their brain that connects them to the elders who basically run the world. They record everything that happens around them and are supposed to be completely unconnected to those they are with. In this story Recorder (they don't have names) loses her companion droid and also loses her implant, making her "human" for the first time. There is also a mystery in the story. I thought it was very good.

I haven't read many utopian stories, but I do enjoy dystopian stories. I couldn't find the titles of my favorite dystopian series, but Steve Rzasa has a futuristic dystopian sci-fi that has a strong Christian content that begins with THE WORD RECLAIMED. Not sure that any library will have it though. I checked and I can't loan it either. Jeff Wheeler has a series that is futuristic and dystopian as well, it begins with STORM GLASS and is part of the HARBINGER series.

I finished RECORDER and am reading THE MASKED FAE and RECKLESS, both fantasies.
  • pianolady831
    Finished my second 2022 book, so I'm off to a great start! THE JUDGE WHO STOLE CHRISTMAS by Randy Singer. Read it about 12 years ago and enjoyed it even more this time.

I think I'm going to read Christmas-themed books periodically during the year because I don't get that many read during the season. And most that I'd like to read through Overdrive have a waiting list in December.
  • connierandel
    I have a list of Christmas books through the United States that I could probably share if you want it. I will probably use some of them to fill in my states (If I haven't already read it). I usually don't care if it is a Christmas book and I am reading it in July. That doesn't make any difference to me.

Kim - Recorder is really long (14 hours 6 minutes). I was hoping for something shorter. I have a couple on my kindle that I may try. Aarg. I will look into Jeff Wheeler.

Current:
    THREAT OF EXPOSURE by Lynette Eason (rom. susp) - This is for the Avid Reader's challenge
    HIDDEN PLACES by Lynn Austin (historical) - This is for the 75 book challenge for a book made into a movie

Finished:
    HIS THIRD TRY by Liz Isaacson (Ivory Peaks Romance #3) KU - Pen Name / Colorado
    THE SHEPHERD’S BRIDE by Patricia Davids (Amish) under 250 pgs / Indiana
    EVERY LITTLE THING ABOUT YOU by Lori Wick - historical novel
    Save the Date anthology - 12 novellas about wedding dresses - got several states through it.
  • Restfinder
    Jeff Wheeler will be a bit longer too. If you need just a fantasy story, then try any of Melanie Cellier's books, hers are lighter than others and have a Christian theme to them.

I had to stop one book I was reading, ran into a cuss word; I picked up another fantasy by Janetta Penner and ran into a cuss word there! Argh! I started a book by Melanie Cellier who I know is clean: SEEDS OF GLORY AND RUIN. So far it is good. I am also continuing in THE MASKED FAE by Shari Tapscott, who has been clean so far. She gets a little TMI at times but doesn't cross the line.
  • Restfinder
    Still working on SEEDS OF GLORY AND RUIN, enjoying it quite a bit. It's about two sisters who have the "seed" in them for a specific power. It appears, at the point in the story I am in, that the older sister has a super powerful gift while the younger has a dud - but I think that the younger is able to stop power from touching her and that is why they couldn't test her to see what her power was! The sisters are unique but we don't know why yet.
  • connierandel
    Current:
    THE AMISH BLACKSMITH by Mindy Starns Clark & Susan Meissner - for my book challenge.
    HEART OF STONE by David James Warren (time travel susp) - Just getting ready to start this one. It is on Scribd...so I will be testing it as well

Finished:
    A STRANGER’S GAME by Colleen Coble (suspense) - her newest. Very good and also worked for one of the challenges. Best of the year so far :smiley:
    THE AMISH GROOM by Mindy Starns Clark & Susan Meissner (Amish) - for book challenge. I will go back and pick up the last one of these, but may wait until I have more of the challenges completed.

• pianolady831
    I'm reading STAY WITH ME by Becky Wade and really enjoying it. One of the themes is Oxy addition and she handles it well.

Now that I'm not tied to book review commitments and deadlines, I'm loving being able to read whatever appeals at my own pace. I've been a silent member of the Goodreads group Christian Fiction Devourers for several years and am now thinking about doing a couple of challenges and an occasional group or buddy read. Wade's book is for a buddy read with three of us participating so far. We'll see how it goes.
  • connierandel
    edited January 2022
    Carole - I thought that I belonged to that group, but I don't. I do belong to them on facebook, though. I guess I need to check it out, but I rarely use goodreads, except to allow my kindle books to go into the "read" and "currently reading" categories.

Current:
    MY DEAR MISS DUPRE by Grace Hitchcock (historical) - I did not like the cover on this book, so have passed it by. I have to say that I am enjoying it. The second in the series came out, so I decided that I needed to read this one. It is about a very rich girl that needs to get married to keep her job at the head of her father's company. Her mother decides to pick 30 men from the "400" to compete to win her hand. It is fairly humorous in spots.
    HIGHWIRE HEARTBREAK by Anna Schmidt (time slip) - this is the book that I am trying to get through on Scribd ebook. I am really enjoying the book, or I would just forget it. It may take me a bit longer to get through it, though.
    THE AMISH BLACKSMITH by Mindy Starns Clark & Susan Meissner (Amish) - I don't know why I started another ebook when I am reading this one, but I did. I will probably finish today.

Finished:
    HEART OF STONE by David James Warren (time travel susp) - This was the last book in the series. I did enjoy the series, but if they do another I will probably wait until they are all out before I start it. This series always left you with a cliff-hanger. The last book was the only one that really had a Christian theme at all, but since they aren't marketed as Christian fiction, I guess that is to be expected.
  • pianolady831
    edited January 2022
    Connie, the Book Pyramid is one of the Christian Fiction Devourers challenges that appealed to me. It's spread over 18 months.

Tasks
    1. Read 1 book that has more than 400 pages. Tell the page count.
    2. Read 2 books from genres you don’t normally read. Tell the genres.
    3. Read 3 books that are in a trilogy. Must be at least 2 different series. Tell which series.
    4. Read 4 books that feature a time-slip plot. Tell the time periods.
    5. Read 5 books published in 2022. Tell the publication date.
    6. Read 6 books with a mode of transportation on the cover. Post the covers.
    7. Read 7 books that have between 150 and 300 pages. Tell the page count.
    8. Read 8 books that have a child on the cover. Post the covers.
    9. Read 9 books by male authors. Must be at least 3 different authors.
    10. Read 10 books whose authors’ first or last initial is a vowel.
    11. Read 11 books whose authors’ names contain double consonants. Example: Colleen Coble, Julie Klassen
    12. Read 12 books that show either a landscape or cityscape on the cover. Post the covers.
    13. Read 13 books published before 2017. Tell the publication year.
    14. Read 14 books with blue covers. Post the covers.
    15. Read 15 books set in small towns. Tell the town names.
  • connierandel
    Wow! That is a pyramid. Right now, I have the 75 book challenge, then 2 monthly challenges, and my reading through the states. That might be something that I look at after I get these done. Or I may be "challenged out."
  • pianolady831
    It's certainly easy to over commit when it comes to reading challenges! I know that well, Connie. That's why I decided that buddy reads were more for me. But a lot of what I read falls into many of these categories, so tracking them looked like fun. CFD changed the 50-state challenge into regional challenges by the quarter this time, which I would never be able to do, so I'm just keeping up with my own state totals.
  • connierandel
    I'm just keeping track of my state reads, too. I have done it for three years, already. I enjoy doing it.

Wow, I got started on Sarah Loudin Thomas first series, and it is so good. I read the first novella as a debut, then the first actual book as a book with fruit or veggies on the cover. I thought that would be an easy thing that Valerie Comer's books would have them, but they don't! And I thought Amish books would, but didn't find any. I'm glad I found these though. They are so good. I need to go further into the series, but that is another that I may wait a while on, since I am trying to finish this challenge right now. If I really work on it, I can have the 75 book one done in February like I did last year, then I can relax on the states and let them kind of flow with my chosen reading.

Finished:
    Appalachian Blessings:
    APPALACHIAN SERENADE by Sarah Loudin Thomas (historical) debut #14 / West Virginia
    MIRACLE IN A DRY SEASON by Sarah Loudin Thomas (historical) fruit or veggies #63

Current:
    RETURN TO HOPE by Kristian Libel (romance) KU - Verb in title / Oklahoma
    MY DEAR MISS DUPRE by Grace Hitchcock (historical)
    HIGHWIRE HEARTBREAK by Anna Schmidt (time slip)
  • pianolady831
    What type of categories does your 75-book challenge have, Connie?