What are you reading

Options

Replies

• connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options
    Kim - I picked up Daughters of the Mayflower on the libby application and to read on kindle. It is my favorite ebook application and one of the libraries has over 4200 Christian fiction books available (ebook/audibook). About 80% or more of their ebooks will check out on kindle, and I really like that option. Unfortunately I have some that won't come up on kindle. Right now I am trying to wait them out on one book in my holds. I requested them to buy the book, and it isn't coming up kindle. Sometimes after a week or two they will change it....hopefully.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Just as a reminder if you are following the monthly challenge:
    December: Book about Christmas season.

This should be an easy one.
  • Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I might try an Amish one since it should be a lighter read!

I finished a re-read by Tara Grayce - LOST IN AVALON or something like that. It's about a teenage girl who is part of two worlds, a princess in one and a normal 15 year old kid in the other. One of her earth friends finds the portal in their earth home and ends up in Avalon where earth people do not do well at all. Now she has to try and find him and get him out before he dies!

I need to finish the book I was working on for the guy as a main character challenge read. I just need to remember which one it was - LOL!
  • pianolady831
    pianolady831 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I may be a little overly optimistic, but I have 11 Christmas-themed books checked out from the library, books that weren't available through Hoopla or Overdrive. Many are shorter in length, which is a good thing. Haven't had much reading time for a few weeks, but hoping to start back now. First up is EVERGREEN by Susan May Warren. I think I read and enjoyed it a few years ago, but not sure.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I'm working on the sixth book in my nano stealth series by Kestell (can't remember her first name right now). I'm also re-reading a series I really liked, a bit lighter and a fantasy!
  • connierandel
    Options
    Current:
    CHRISTMAS HIDEOUT by Susan Sleeman (LI susp) KU - my book for the reader's challenge.
    AN UNFORGETTABLE CHRISTMAS by Ginny Baird (Hallmark) This was one of the bonus reads on hoopla for November. It is good.

Finished:
    CHRISTMAS IN EVERGREEN by Nancy Naigle (Hallmark) - Very good.
    ONLY YOU (aka Seaside Blessings) by Irene Hannon (Starfish Bay Book #3) KU
    CHRISTMAS CAR KERFUFFLE by Jessie Gussman (Christmas)
    LEGACY OF LIES by Christy Barritt (Fog Lake series) KU
    MARRIED FOR GOOD by Carol Moncado (Tiaras & True Love #4) KU
    INCRIMINATING EVIDENCE by Rachel Dylan (LI susp)

There were bonus borrows on hoopla last month and I checked out several Christmas audiobooks, but not Christian fiction. I really have enjoyed the Hallmark ones that I checked out, but I got one (not Hallmark) that WHEW was full of profanity and sexual content. It was supposed to be about a service dog for a 4 year old girl.... Needless to say, it wasn't finished.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I started OCEANS OF LOVE FOR THE GOVERNESS by Hedley Hunt and am enjoying it a lot. Still working on the other two I mentioned yesterday.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Current:
    THROUGH THE AUTUMN AIR by Kelly Irvin (Amish) - audiobook from the bonus borrows. I knew this one would be Christian and clean. It is good, I just don't want a steady diet of Amish.

The Rocky Mountain Heiress Collection: libby
    THE CONFIDENTIAL LIFE OF EUGENIA COOPER by Kathleen Y’Barbo (historical) - finished. Cute book.
    ANNA FINCH AND THE HIRED GUN by Kathleen Y’Barbo (historical) - I have been enjoying this one, too. There is one more in the collection. These kind of remind me of Mary Connealy's style.

Finished:
    RIGHT HERE WAITING by Susan May Warren & Michelle Sass Aleckson (Deep Haven) - I had been wanting to read this book, but none of my normal library applications had picked it up. Then, I checked one that doesn't get a lot of Christian fiction and they had it, both in ebook and audiobook. I was so excited, and I think it was the best of the series.
    FAITH by Lori Copeland (historical) - This was something that I had thought I had read, but was on the bonus borrow list, too. If I read it, it was so long ago that it wasn't familiar at all (and before I started keeping track). I will check out the rest of the series. It was about a mail order bride. Three sisters Faith, Hope and June all went to be mail order brides in different areas of the country. Hope and June are the other two books.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Read some in STEALTH INSURGENCE last night and then switched to a fantasy I found and wanted to see if it would be good, so far it is.

Ugh, I haven't done anything with my monthly list. I may not have one this month but will work on keeping up for January. Not forgotten, just not able to get to it with taking care of things for Mom.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Heiress Collection:
    THE CONFIDENTIAL LIFE OF EUGENIA COOPER by Kathleen Y’Barbo (historical)
    ANNA FINCH AND THE HIRED GUN by Kathleen Y’Barbo (historical) - not quite as good as the first one.
    THE INCONVENIENT MARRIAGE OF CHARLOTTE BECK by Kathleen Y’Barbo (historical) - Oh my! This girl is getting in all kinds of trouble!

I will start on an audiobook later this evening, but don't know what one at this time. I started on another of the bonus borrows, but got a few minutes into it and realized that it wasn't going to be suitable. I have two more secular ones and I'm not sure that I want to fool with them. I think I will go ahead with something that I know will be appropriate. I enjoyed the Hallmark ones, they were totally acceptable and the last one WRAPPED UP IN CHRISTMAS by Janice Lynn (Hallmark) read more like Christian fiction.

• Restfinder
    Options
    I think I have a couple of the Kathy Y'Barbo books that you mentioned. I've liked whatever I've read by her.

I'm still working on the ones I mentioned before. Ugh, I was enjoying the Regency Romance until they cussed about 80% of the way through - boo!

• connierandel
    Options
    Current:
    CHRISTMAS SECRETS AT VILLA LIMONCELLO by Daisy James (secular Christmas) - This is another of the bonus check-outs on hoopla. At this point, it hasn't been objectionable, but has quite a bit of alcohol...I think I will get through it, but I'm not overly impressed. I thought if I listened for a prolonged time frame instead of just before bed that I might get more involved in the story.

Finished:
    CHRISTMAS HIDEOUT by Susan Sleeman (LI susp)
    OWEN by Dale Mayer (Hathaway House) - good, but considered "inspirational" not Christian.
    THE INN AT WALKER BEACH by Lindsay Harrel (The Barefoot Sisterhood, #1) Very good! I really enjoyed.
    SUNSWEPT by Carla Laureano (romance)
    YOU AND ME by Becky Wade (A Misty River Romance Christmas Novella)
    CHILD OF GRACE by Irene Hannon (romance)
    VANISHED IN THE MOUNTAINS by Tanya Stowe (LI susp)

I will be starting another ebook soon, but haven't decided which one yet. I also think that I will just return the rest of the Christmas hoopla bonus borrows. The Hallmark ones were great, but I haven't been overly impressed (in a good way) with any of the others.

• Restfinder
    Options
    Worked on the new fantasy that I got, FIRE AND ASHE by H L Burke. I also read some more in STEALTH INSURGENCE by Vikki Kestell. So far I'm not impressed with this one. There is a lot of the story taken up by Bible Studies that one of the main characters is leading with some young people. One of the topics of the conversation was when a black gal brought up all of the struggles her people are going through blah, blah, blah and she just wouldn't hear anything from the Christian point of view. Then a girl from China spoke up about the persecution she'd actually gone through and she asked the black girl for reparations for what her persecutors had done to her. Now, that was an interesting point made. So far there hasn't been a whole lot having to do with this being a continuation of the last story but just a remodel and Bible Study book so far.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Finished:
    UPON A MIDNIGHT SNOW by Tari Faris
    HARVEST MOON HOMECOMING (Sweet Haven #1) by Jessie Gussman

Current:
    BETTER TOGETHER Better (Sweet Haven Farm Book 2) by Jessie Gussman
    CHRISTMAS SECRETS AT VILLA LIMONCELLO by Daisy James (secular Christmas) - still plodding through it.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Well, I am not saying that I won't finish CHRISTMAS SECRETS AT VILLA LIMONCELLO by Daisy James (secular Christmas), but I needed to get through some books that I really wanted to read. I have two more of these checked out that I am just going to return.

Finished:
    ALL IS BRIGHT by Colleen Coble (Christmas) -this year's Christmas novella. Very good.
    BETTER TOGETHER Better by Jessie Gussman (Sweet Haven Farm #2) good, but I'm not thinking that they are quite as good as some of her other books.

Current:
    MARRIAGE CAN BE MISCHIEF by Amanda Flowers (cozy Amish) - It is pretty good. I enjoy a good cozy mystery.
    JUST RIGHT by Jessie Gussman (Sweet Haven Farm #3-Christmas) - I will be starting this later today.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Still reading FIRE AND ASH and STEALTH INSURGENCE. Having trouble staying into the STEALTH INSURGENCE though.
  • pianolady831
    Options
    Connie, is Coble's novella suspense or just Christmas themed?

I've almost finished EVERGREEN, an older novella by Susan May Warren. Kind of bittersweet, but very good.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Carole - I thought I replied to your comment yesterday, but I don't see it. The Colleen Coble novella is romantic suspense.

I am having trouble with audiobooks. I always love them, but the secular Christmas ones just weren't to my liking, so DNF a couple, and just turned in a couple. Now I am trying to get through a Christian novel that recently released and am having a terrible time staying interested. As much as I love history, to me it reads more like a history book than a novel. Saying that, I am now listening to 2 audiobooks. One for light and easy to get through, and one for other times.

Current:
    ELINOR by Shannon McNear (historical) late 1500's Based on the Lost Colony of Roanoke This is the one that reads more like a history book. I am close to half way through it.
    AN AMISH SURPRISE by Shelley Shepard Gray (Amish) I have had so many Amish books coming available lately, so I have been reading more of them. I have another one waiting to be read.

Finished:
    FOOTPRINTS ON HER HEART by Tabitha Bouldin (Independence Islands #17) KU
    RECLAIMING HOPE by Carolyn Miller (Independence Islands #18)
    MARRIAGE CAN BE MISCHIEF by Amanda Flowers (Amish) It was pretty good. Her books usually have some humor.

I will get an ebook going soon. I haven't picked one out, yet. I just finished the last one right before bed last night.
  • pianolady831
    Options
    Thanks for the info, Connie. I suspected it was suspense, but didn't know for sure. I wish I enjoyed suspense because there's a lot out there, but I guess I'm more of a drama fan. I do like the procedural-type solving of a murder, though. I also wish I could do audio books, but I just can't concentrate enough to keep up with the plot.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Well - I finished ELINOR by Shannon McNear (historical). I slowed the narration a little and liked it better. I think the faster narration with the accent caused me to get lost now and then.

I decided that slowing the narration on one book might work on the other, so I slowed down the narration on CHRISTMAS SECRETS AT VILLA LIMONCELLO by Daisy James and I am almost through it as well. I think books with accents are just a bit harder to understand, so are easier for my mind to wander. I guess that is something that I need to remember.

I still haven't started on an ebook. I have just been finished some of these audiobooks.