What are you reading

Options

Replies

• bigwimp10021
    bigwimp10021 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi all;
    Sorry I have not been in here in a while but we were without a computer for a while and only used the phone or Kindle. Never did get the books back either on there cause someone hacked into the account. Of course they would not listen to us either.

Reading a series of writer apprentice series by Julia Buckley. She has a tribute to Phyllis Whitney on one page. She does not write exactly like her cause none of Whitney's heroines ever slept with the leading man before marriage. The first book was really good no sexual stuff in it but the second book I finished had it throughout. I got 2 more books of hers to read yet and then I will not get anymore.

I am reading about about the pandemic when it started last year. It is a nonfiction book written by Eli Saslow telling stories of people who got the virus and their families as well as other people like EMT's and doctors who told their stories.

Finished reading a short novella book by Colleen Coble called Leaving Lavender Tides.
  • connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options
    We are so glad to see you back! I love Colleen Coble's books! Hope that you get everything straightened out with your kindle. If you don't get everything figured out, I would contact Amazon again. I have found that sometimes their live chat is easier to deal with than their "in-person" calls. At least you don't have a problem understanding them.

I had to send my new kindle back. Every time I took it anywhere in my purse, it went off and wouldn't come back on. I tried the resetting thing with holding down the power button for 20, 30 and 60 seconds, but nothing. I could plug it into the charger and it would immediately come up - with the expected charge (100% twice, and 79% the 3rd time). It was funny, I could put it in my purse at home and carry it around the house and it didn't do it....just when I was somewhere else. So far, the new one hasn't done it. I hope it all works out.

Current:
    EVERY WORD UNSAID by Kimberly Duffy (Dreams of India) - very good! It takes place in the late 1800's. A reporter for a women's magazine has an issue with her family and takes an assignment in India to run away from them and to keep her own life.
    THE SUNDAY POTLUCK CLUB by Melissa Storm (romance) - pretty good. I have read the next one and have the last of the series checked out as well.
  • Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Still working on the same stuff. I gave up on NEVER MISS, it just had a three or four page lustful encounter between the characters. I keep turning the pages waiting for it to end and it just kept going, I decided I just didn't want to have to deal with that in a story. (Connie, it's the scene where they are having to share a hotel room with just one bed in it - oh, we're adult enough to do with without a problem - not!)
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I'm working on the fourth book in my re-read, THE EMPTINESS. I'm enjoying all of these books as much this time as I did the first time. It's a good versus evil type fantasy story but centered around a group of teenagers.

THE PRINCE AND THE SEA WITCH is a re-tell of THE LITTLE MERMAID. Ugh, I got to a part where I know bad things are going to happen and things not go in the direction the main character wants them to go, and I set it down. I hate when I know what's coming, and I know it eventually works out, but I hate going through the tough thing to get to the HEA! How pitiful is that???

I picked up PULSE and read a bit more in it. I have all four books in the series and hate to not be able to get through it. It's about a world that goes black after a solar pulse hits the earth and this family and their friends trying to survive it. This family and some of the others are Christians.

I haven't done much with UNCHARTED PROMISES, part of this very light fantasy series by Keely Brooke Keith. I did start it but haven't gotten back to it, but I have enjoyed it.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Finished:
    FALLING FOR YOUR BEST FRIEND'S TWIN by Emma St. Clair (rom com)
    FALLING FOR YOUR BEST FRIEND by Emma St. Clair (rom com) - These are just cute and light. I wouldn't call them Christian fiction, but they were listed there in Christian fiction on hoopla. There is a little steam, but totally clean. I needed light and cute.
    EVERY WORD UNSAID by Kimberly Duffy (Dreams of India) - I have really enjoyed her books. One of the few authors that I have read all of her books and have rated them all at 5*
    THE SUNDAY POTLUCK CLUB by Melissa Storm - This was pretty good.

Current:
    MANIC MONDAY, INC. by Melissa Storm (romance). It is from the same series as the one just finished. I started it, but have kind of set it aside working more on the light ones. This one is a little bit more intense, but I know it will be good.
    FALLING FOR YOUR FAKE FIANCE by Emma St. Clair (rom com)
  • Restfinder
    Options
    It looks like you have a series going, Connie.

I just read in THE EMPTINESS last night. Just too tired to jump around. I went to sleep at 10 two nights ago and at 11 last night, early for me!
  • connierandel
    Options
    I finished:
    MANIC MONDAY, INC. by Melissa Storm (romance)
    FALLING FOR YOUR FAKE FIANCE by Emma St. Clair (rom com) - These were both pretty good. Not extra special, but good for a light read which is what I needed right now.

Current:
    A NUTTY CHRISTMAS REUNION by Lucy McConnell (The Reindeer Wrangler Ranch #2) KU - Another fun Christmas book - about Santa's flying reindeer. Right now, I am not in the mood for "heavy". I will probably start a more intense series this evening.
  • bigwimp10021
    bigwimp10021 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Still reading the same ones yet. I have some on the Kindle and even more on Book Funnel I have to read yet.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Finished THE EMPTINESS and now I wait for book five, THE LOST.

I started a Christy Barritt, EDGE OF PERIL, but it started out super creepy so I may save that one to start during the day!

I also read some in a fantasy series FORGED IN CURSED FLAMES. It's a bit more worldly than I like, but it hasn't crossed any lines (so far). It's by an author I really like, Shari Tapscott and her husband co-authored this series with her. The first one was a bit more suggestive than I like so I wasn't even sure about reading this one, but it's been alright so far.

Tried to read some more in PULSE, but the whiney teen POV they switched to is worse than the two before her! Grow up gals!

Have you read anything from Mark Romang? I found a book 3 by him for free today, it's a futuristic one where Christians and outlaws are living away from the cities and trying to elude the hunters that those in charge send after them. It sounds interesting, but since I've never read him before, I wasn't sure if he would be good or not for my Nov. read where the guy is the lead character. Oh wow, I just saw that I have book two as well, TOMORROW'S DAWN. I didn't see a book one, book two is the only one they are showing when I go to this series!
  • connierandel
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I haven't heard of him, and I am not a fan of the genre, so that is probably the reason.

Here is what I found on Amazon:
    Chronicles of the Mercy Giver is book 1
    Tomorrow's Dawn is book 2 (and book 1 of its own series, I think)
    Tomorrow's Sunset is book 3

Finished:
    A NUTTY CHRISTMAS REUNION by Lucy McConnell (The Reindeer Wrangler Ranch #2) KU - funny. I needed it.
    FRIENDS WITH THE HERO by Jessie Gussman (Freedom Ridge series) - good. Another light and easy one.

Current:
    SENSIBLE SHOES by Sharon Garlough Brown (wms fiction) - This series has been recommended to me so many times and I saw it on hoopla, so checked the books out. This is more women's fiction/drama. I really enjoy this kind of story, but I know Kim isn't a fan. I am just hoping that I can find a few more light and easy ebooks to balance this out. My next up was Irene Hannon's new suspense and several LI suspense books. I need to figure out if that is what I really need right now.

• connierandel
    Options
    Current:
    SENSIBLE SHOES by Sharon Garlough Brown (wms fiction) - It is good, but I kind of keep getting the characters mixed up. I know that it is me. I really haven't listened to a lot of it, just mainly at night before bed.
    LABYRINTH OF LIES by Irene Hannon (Triple Threat #2) - I am really enjoying this one. Of course, she is a St. Louis native and this series is set in St. Louis. I was born and raised just about 20 miles north of St. Louis (in Illinois), so it is very familiar.

Finished:
    HOW TO RUIN THE HOLIDAYS by Becky Monson (Christmas) - I was thinking this was Stacy Monson and was surprised that there was slang in the book. When I realized I was reading a different author, it made more sense. It wasn't awful, but fairly often.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Ohhh - so fun! In Irene Hannon's book she mentions a bakery owned by the son of a close friend from the church I attended in Illinois! He has won all kinds of awards, but it is fun to find him mentioned! if you get to St. Louis, go to Nathaniel Reid Bakery!
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Oh Wow, that is such a "treat" to read about someone you know!

I am enjoying the series I mentioned earlier. It's not as gloomy and doomy as I was thinking it might be. It has a slightly lighter tone to it. I just read a part where one of the guys who believes in this secret society has spoken to his CIA brother, and now they are trying to kill the brother - who didn't believe it when his brother told him about this secret society that basically wants to start the world over and are building an underground city so they can nuke the rest of the world and just begin again with like-minded people. Nutty - huh? The brother is seeing things a bit differently now. The car chase scene was suspenseful but still had a chuckle or two in it.

I'm beta reading a story by an author that I like but can't think of her name right now - sigh. It's a fantasy about a teenage girl who lives in an underground world ... I see a theme here! Anyway, it's been interesting so far.
  • connierandel
    Options
    https://nrbakery.com/
    Here is the website for the bakery. Some of his stuff is just beautiful.

Current:
    WHERE MEMORIES AWAIT by Heidi Chiavaroli (Orchard House Bed & Breakfast #4). very good. Going back in the memories of the oldest member of the family.

Finished:
    SENSIBLE SHOES by Sharon Garlough Brown (wms fiction) - very, very good. There is a LOT of spiritual depth in this, and it may be a re-read for me....and not audio. I am deciding if I am going to listen to the next in line on the series, or jump to something else before continuing.
    LABYRINTH OF LIES by Irene Hannon (Triple Threat #2) - very good. I always enjoy her books.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Finished:
    SECRETS SHE KNEW by D L Wood (suspense) - pretty good.
    BEHIND LOVE’S WALL by Carrie Fancett Pagels (split-time/ Doors To The Past) very good
    FORGOTTEN SECRETS by Karen Kirst (Love Inspired Suspense) KU
    TEXAS HOLIDAY HIDEOUT by Virginia Vaughan (LI susp) KU
    TROUBLE BREWING by Heather Day Gilbert (cozy) KU
    ALASKAN SHOWDOWN by Sarah Varland (LI Susp) KU
    ARTIC CHRISTMAS AMBUSH by Sherri Shackelford (LI susp) KU

Current
    TWO STEPS FORWARD by Sharon Garlough Brown (wms fiction) - This series is deep spiritually, and some of the premises are probably worth some time and study, but I am just listening to the audiobook, not taking time for study at this point. This book has quite a bit of slang...mostly one character. It seems so out of place in this book.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Oh wow, that bakery looks awesome!

I finished THE SEER'S SECRET, an ARC read by Brittany Fichter. Very good fantasy.

I had a very short story called KANE, a prequel in THE CHASE RUNNER SERIES. Kane is a 17 year old who ends up killing a guy who was trying to kill his wife and unfortunately the man's father has lots of power in the government and Kane knows that means he's going to die - but the arresting officer knows Kane isn't guilty and he comes up with another plan. It's a post-apocalyptic type story.

• Restfinder
    Options
    Read some more in the CHASE series. It's strange, the first book was about a guy named Kane. He was sent to an orbiting space station to participate in The Chase, which is an obstacle course against each district. The one who wins can make one new law (and this world is choking on laws). This book has Kane in it as a background character and the main guy character, Willis, I think, or something like that, is the main player in this story, he's the leader on the team Kane is on. I keep waiting for Kane to play a major role but so far he hasn't - just weird.

I read something else last night but can't remember what. I did listen to 1 Samuel for awhile before getting into my books.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Finished:
    LIKE A SILVER BELL by Lindsay Harrel (Port Willis #3) KU - Christmas, pretty good.
    TWO STEPS FORWARD by Sharon Garlough Brown (wms fiction) - spiritually deep, but slang
    BAREFOOT by Sharon Garlough Brown (wms fiction) - sad but very good. Less slang - loving this series.

Current:
    AN EXTRA MILE by Sharon Garlough Brown (wms fiction) - the last book in the Sensible Shoes series.
    Daughters of the Mayflower - Defenders:
    THE PATRIOT BRIDE by Kimberley Woodhouse (historical) - Pretty good
    THE CUMBERLAND BRIDE by Shannon McNear (historical) - This is my current one. I guess these aren't really my norm, and I'm not over-the-moon about them, but they are pretty good. They are written by really good authors. I am almost done with it, then there is one more in the anthology.

• connierandel
    Options
    Finished:
    All books in the Sensible Shoes series by Sharon Garlough Brown - These have some good Biblical based study and prayer ideas that are a bit "out of the box". I am not saying that there was anything that I read that I will follow, but I may go back and actually read these books more from a study concept than listening for the story concept. There are study guides for each book.
    Also finished the books in the Daughters of the Mayflower - Defenders. If these are the historical timeframe that you enjoy they are pretty good. They really weren't my favorite genre and I just kind of got through them.

Current:
    STAND BY ME by Pat Simmons (romance) African American/ autism. This is the latest in the series and I really enjoy them. They are romance, but all have a harder subject in them. This one is autism in the granddaughter of the main character. The book is very good, but it is a bit hard to read (listen to) on the library application. It is also on a more user friendly application, but won't be available for several weeks. I almost turned this one in and waited, but I really wanted to read it.
    TRIALS & TRIBULATIONS by Rachel Dylan (legal/spiritual warfare) - WHEW! I was just expecting a legal thriller, but this is really more spiritual warfare than legal at this time. I checked out the entire series on hoopla, but if this is too intense I may let some of it go. I have a couple of weeks to decide.

I checked out a ton of books from hoopla yesterday that were on their bonus borrows. Most of them were Christmas and were not from Christian authors, so some may go back early. A couple were Amish books that were already on my "wish list" and I didn't hesitate on them. A couple were Hallmark books, and I figured they would be clean, but the others are a total coin flip. I already had used my 20 books for the month, so I decided I would check them out.... although I could use 9 from my other library or 20 more from this one on Bill's library card, that was just a lot of trouble.

• Restfinder
    Options
    I looked up DAUGHTERS OF THE MAYFLOWER - DEFENDERS and it looks interesting. I'll see if my Hoopla has that one - Nope, I'll put it on my wishlist, it may come up.

I finished THE CHASE, book one. It was very good. I don't see anything following it yet, but they left the door wide open for another book in the series.