Replies

• cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,735 Member
    edited August 24
    Here's what I've been reading lately...

Rainbow's End by Irene Hannon
    A Heart's Forever Home (Love's Road Home Book 3) by Lena Nelson Dooley
    Once Upon Nantucket (Lighthouse Lane Book 1) by Irene Hannon
    The Finding of Miss Fairfield:Runaway Bride RomCom (Aprons & Veils, Book 1) by Grace Hitchcock
    The Pursuit of Miss Parish:Mail-Order Bride RomCom (Aprons & Veils, Book 2) by Grace Hitchcock
    The Enchanting of Miss Elliot: Historical RomCom (Aprons & Veils, Book 2) by Grace Hitchcock

There's one more Aprons & Veil's book in that series, but I just discovered it isn't available until June of 2025!
  • Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,537 Member
    Oh, I hate when I have to wait so long for the next book! I've waited forever for the fifth book in the series I'm re-reading. I got it yesterday! but am planning to finish my re-reading so I can just flow right into it. It's probably been two or three years since I've read the others.

I started a missionary bio about Jim Elliot's brother and sister-in-law. He was getting ready to go to his mission field and his family wanted to get together. He told them if it was going to be a round of visits and people coming over they weren't interested. If it was going to be just family, time to pray and enjoy each other because it may be the last time they all get together, then that would be great. It ended up being the last time the whole family did get together because of Jim's death shortly after that.

I am still working on all the other ones I've mentioned!
  • connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,801 Member
    Currently I am listening to UNKNOWN ENEMY by Michelle Karl. I am enjoying all of the LIS books on hoopla audio. They aren't long, but have enough meat and suspense.
  • Restfinder
    I'm enjoying my missionary bio about Bert and Colleen Elliot. Last night they found out about Jim's death with the four other men with him. So sad!

Read some more in THE BRITISH BOOKSELLERS last night. I'm not sure how I like the going back and forth from 1914 to 1940. Going back does answer some questions, but then I have to get back into what is happening in the now of the story, but overall I am enjoying the book.

I need to get back to my Hoopla e-books, I tend to forget about them! LOL!
  • connierandel
    Last night Bill had a rough night and I was afraid to go to sleep. I listened to 4 shorter Liwen Y Ho audio books on YouTube.

Currently I am reading DARKNESS CALLS THE TIGER by Janyre Tromp (WW2) Burma. It is pretty heavy and has been a little difficult to keep up with the unfamiliar names and language. I am hoping to have it finished by the end of the month. It is good, just not easy. I am also reading the last book (set of novellas) in the Acts of Valor series by Rebecca Hartt. The series has been good, but the second novella in this book has a bit too much married couple steam.
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,735 Member
    Sending prayers your way, Connie.
  • Restfinder
    Praying too, Connie!

I'm almost done with the Bert and Colleen Elliott biography, or auto-biography. It's written as if someone is looking on their life and at times as if Colleen is narrating it - strange.

I am also 3/4 of the way through THE BRITISH BOOKSELLERS, very good.

I'm on the third book of my re-read of a fantasy series. I have book five now so I need to get busy!

I got the second book in a fantasy series by an author I really like, Tara Grayce, so I need to get that one started, but I want to finish some of the ones I've been reading first.

I have a couple more fantasies I am reading as well.
  • connierandel
    DARKNESS CALLS THE TIGER
    Janyre Tromp
    WW2
    Ebook

I am trying a new format for my Google drive. I wanted to see how it copied and pasted. It would be pretty easy to change to regular format.

I haven't gotten to this one at all today. I got started trading some of the more recent books from a series I almost forgot about. I have 2 more to go.
    Suamalie Islands
    TREASURED KEEPSAKES by Rachel Skatvold (Suamalie 11)
    TRUST FALL by Chautona Having (Suamalie 12)
    CONVERSATION HEARTS by Marguerite Martin Gray (Suamalie 14)

• Restfinder
    I saw that WARSAW SISTERS was on sale so picked that up. I don't know when I will get to it, but at least I have it! LOL!

I'm reading the same things as last time. I did download the biography of Dietrich Bonhoeffer and will start that tonight. I went back to my David Livingstone Diary while waiting for my new Hoopla picks! I really enjoy these biographies and learn so much from them.
  • connierandel
    I am still reading DARKNESS CALLS THE TIGER by Janyre Tromp, WW2. This is a difficult book for me. It is an ebook from Cloud Library and it isn't compatible with Kindle. I can get it to read a chapter or two text-to-voice, but then it starts repeating or just stops. It takes place in Burma and it has Burmese names, etc and is very heavy. It is good, just hard to get through

I've been listening to a few clean books by Donna K Weaver. They have been pretty good.

Currently listening to Diann Mills newest book, LETHAL STANDOFF. It is about a negotiator and a reporter. So far it is very good
  • Restfinder
    I haven't seen anything new by Diann Mills for awhile.

I'm ARC reading MISS SPENCER MEETS HER MATCH which is part of an anthology by many authors. Linore Burkard is the author. It's kind of cute so far. Two men switch roles, two women switch roles - hmmm!!!

I'm on the fourth book in the fantasy series I've been re-reading and excited to get through it and into the new book.

I also got a new story from J M Stengl, the last in her FARAWAY CASTLE series, fantasy.

Still listening to the Dietrich Bonhoeffer biography - wow, a behind the scenes look into how Hitler took over the Church and how he tried to wipe out Christianity while still trying to make it look like he was helping.

I did finish THE BRITISH BOOKSELLERS. I thought the title had more to do with two bookstores, but it was the title of the newspaper that they published during WWII, because of the two booksellers. Just interesting to me. As I got into the story I didn't mind the going back and forth because I knew that when they went back I would gain more insight into why things were going the way they were in the now story. I liked that the husband got to be a good guy in the end.

I'm reading IGNITED, a fantasy about a world inhabited by Phoenixes and humans and their dying sun. I'm enjoying it.
  • connierandel
    I am still reading DARKNESS CALLS THE TIGER by Janyre Tromp. I am less than a hundred pages from the end, now. It is hard and heavy, but good. Her books aren't easy reads, and using Cloud Library for it, just makes it that much more difficult.

I finished:
    LETHAL STANDOFF - Diann Mills - susp - This was very good.
    IT’S ALL RELATIVE by Rachel Magee - this is from a Christian publisher, but I would just call it clean.
    Current:
    SAVING THE FIREFIGHTER by Donna K Weaver - mystery/rom - This is just a clean book, but I haven't had any issues with others that I have read by her.
  • Restfinder
    edited September 9
    I added another year to my KU. They had a deal pay for 10 months and get two free. I'm covered until Dec 2025. I wouldn't have except several of my favorite authors use KU and I often can't pay to get their books right now. There are a couple of authors that I will pay up to $4.99 for, but not above that, and not for all of them.

I finished the Dietrich Bonhoeffer story - wow, just two weeks before his concentration camp is liberated he is executed. I think that Hitler committed suicide just one week after the execution. So close!!! I didn't realize that Bonhoeffer was part of the Resistance and plots to kill Hitler. They got information from his BIL in Abwehr, the counterpart to the Gestapo. I've downloaded the RACHEL SAINT biography.

I finished IGNITE and I'm not sure what I think about it. Overall the story was good and it's published by a "Christian" fantasy publisher, but I didn't catch anything Christian in the story. It was clean! This is the one about the Phoenixes and a Fire Bird who is born from the Sun. She did have an acknowledgement to Jesus at the end, but I just really didn't get what she was driving at in the story.

I'm about half-way through my fourth re-read and then I can get into the fifth and final book in this fantasy series. There is a definite Christian theme in this one, although the Christians in the story need to get sanctified!

Still working on NOLAN AND THE ELF (the third book in this series), also HUNTING SIRENS (a reverse Little Mermaid story with a mute siren and a deaf human!) and KINGDOM OF BIRDS AND BEASTS (which I am really enjoying. It is a Goose-girl re-telling.)

• connierandel
    I am still reading a little everyday in the Janyre Tromp book. I will.get it finished someday.

I am also reading THE RELATIONTRIP by Elana Johnson (Liz Isaacson). These are her clean books. This is clean, but I question it. Not my favorite.
  • connierandel
    I finally finished DARKNESS CALLS THE TIGER by Janyre Tromp. There are so many glowing reviews, but to me it was a hard book. It was good, but the languages and names were easy for me to mix up and it was heart wrenching. It is really hard for me to rate, but tentively I am saying 4*. I also finished THE RELATIONTRIP by Elana Johnson. It was pretty good, but I like the Christian books she writes under Liz Isaacson so much better. This had some situations that I just wasn't comfortable with, but everything was clean.
    Current: HIDDEN IN THE EVERGLADES by Margaret Daley - LIS
    I'm about 80% through it, so will probably finish before bed. I'm not quite sure what I will read from here, but probably either a LI or a LIS book on hoopla.

I have a ebook checked out on Libby by Charles Martin. I always love his books and I thought it was something new, but it is something old that the library just purchased. I haven't read it, so am excited for it, even if it isn't new. I don't want to start it before bed, though. It is a pain to have to use an extra application for a sleep timer when listening to an ebook.

• Restfinder
    Still working on the same stuff!
  • connierandel
    I am currently reading AN AMERICAN IMMIGRANT by Johanna Rojas Vann - Christy finalist
    At this point, I'm not really seeing that it is all that wonderful, but I will keep going on it. Maybe I was just distracted. It takes place in Florida and Columbia

Finished:
    KEY TO SAVANNAH by Hope Callaghan (cozy) - extremely different that her other books I have read, but I need to read on in the series, it didn't have a good enough ending .... It's about a crime family from New York. The husband died and the wife wants to get away from there and finds a deed to an old property in Savannah. She and her daughter decide to move there and renovate.

THE PROTECTOR’S MISSION by Margaret Daley (LIS)

THUNDER AND RAIN by Charles Martin (drama) - some language in the beginning (and it mentioned that it was bad) and not a lot of Christian values, but a very good book

Now I need to find something fun to listen to. I only have one of my hoopla borrows left and one book checked out. I don't want to get started on it, because it is 270AD, so not an easy time frame for me. I can either find something on Everand or YouTube.

• Restfinder
    I listened more to my RACHEL SAINT biography. What a brave woman! I had thought she was Nate Saints wife, but she is his sister.

I worked on another fantasy, trying to get through it so I can read book 5. It's long, so I may skip to the end to remind myself where they are (since I already read it) then move on to book 5! I also read more in another fantasy fairy-tale re-tell.
  • connierandel
    I read the next book in the Hope Callaghan series. It had more of an ending. I got this one through Everand. I don't like to get started on series through them, so will go back and forth with other things.

I also listened to all three of the Shelter series by Robin Merrill. I really enjoyed them. Everand had them as a boxed set. Now I am reading BEYOND THE SETTING SUN by Jessie Gussman...I always like her books!
  • Restfinder
    I finished the Rachel Saint biography, what a sad ending! Still working on the other stories.