Chat

Replies

• Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,551 Member
    Connie, my heart goes out to you! It's far harder when it's a spouse rather than a parent. My prayers are with you!

Cindy, so glad you have an easier one this time.

Not much new with me. Just trying to stay out of the heat. I haven't woken with a headache for two days now, but I did get one last evening, not bad, caught it quick - praise the Lord. Trying to figure out what is bothering my tummy. I haven't had it right since I had Covid and I can't figure out how to get it back to normal again. I have a feeling that it's another food sensitivity or allergy that's cropped up on me. I may have to get my own food sensitivity test since most doctors don't mess with that kind of stuff. I might get in touch with the NP of functional med that I saw in Hickory and see what she suggests.

I hope y'all have an awesome day. God bless your time with your Mom, Connie!

• Restfinder
    Hope y'all are doing well. I've been quite fatigued the past three days. I got pretty good sleep last night, so not sure why I'm so tired. Maybe a nap this afternoon will help - ahhh!

Love y'all.
  • Restfinder
    Got the A/C thermostat put in today. Nice and cool in the house now. Hopefully the big unit outside will keep on working! He didn't say anything this time about it being ready to conk out, so hopefully they will be able to keep 'er going.

Had a very good time at Bible Study last night. Praise the Lord we can still meet safely!

Hope y'all have a very good day. Hope all is going well at your Mom's, Connie.
  • connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,809 Member
    edited July 2022
    Home sweet home! We just got in and I am glad to be here. Bill did great...such a relief.

New Jersey is one of the 4 states that I haven't been to. Another place on my bucket list, along with Delaware, Vermont, and Connecticut. Someday I will get to them.
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,756 Member
    edited July 2022
    Of the states in your list, Connie, I also have not been to Vermont.

We're having the family over tomorrow afternoon for swimming and burgers. Also berry picking - the wild black raspberries are just now ripening. I picked a few with one of my granddaughters this past Thursday. We have patches all over the property and all of my kids fondly remember going out and filling large bowls with them every summer.

Then we're heading to fireworks at one of the local communities nearby. It's a 10 minute drive; we park in a church parking lot for a donation and set up on their lawn with blankets and lawn chairs. The kids play for a couple of hours; some of us walk to the ice cream place... fireworks start at 10 and last 30 minutes. The drive home takes maybe 20 minutes with traffic.

Overall, a pretty relaxing 4th of July.

Happy Independence Day to you all! 🇺🇸
  • Restfinder
    Sounds like a fun day, Cindy! We are going to do a cook out for anyone who wants to come. That will be on the fourth. Hopefully the Tropical Storm will have passed through by then.

Connie, so glad you are home safe and sound and things went well with Bill. Praise the Lord.

Getting ready to go into town this afternoon, expecting it to be pretty busy! It has grown A LOT since we lived in this area in the 1980's, there aren't a lot of familiar places. We did go by the apartments that we lived in when we first got married, still there! There's another set of apartment buildings build in front of them now though. My favorite restaurant isn't around any more though, but two that I remember from then are still plugging away - El's is a Car Hop place. You park wherever on the lot and the gals come out and take your order. Then there's the Sanitary Restaurant on the Sound, yummers. Not sure where we're going to eat today though, but I will try to be wise - definitely nothing with wheat or cheese in it though!

Y'all have an awesome and fun weekend. Love ya
  • connierandel
    Oh my - and Bill has Alzheimers. I don't know what my problem is! We usually had a Senior's luncheon the first week of every month and meet at a restaurant. This week was a restaurant that I'm not crazy about, but Bill wanted to go (first time in a long time). I was excited to get him out the door. When we got to the restaurant, there was none of our group there. We left, went to the bank and came home. I looked it up on the paper calendar (the website calendar for the church was down)...we were 2 days early. They used to have them on Thursday, then went to Tuesdays. Now they are back on Thursday, I guess. I felt rather silly. Now, I don't know about getting him out the door on Thursday. We will see. He has absolutely no sense of time, anymore.
  • cmsienk
    edited July 2022
    Sorry to hear about the lunch mishap, Connie. It's good that you can keep your sense of humor when frustrating things like that happen. My prayers go out to you.

My husband and I have been fighting a cold the past few days. Mostly now I'm just dealing with an achy back. Monday I only had some applesauce and toast. Yesterday, I ate a little more: yogurt for breakfast, oatmeal for lunch and some Birdseye veggie pasta with marinara and peas for dinner. I really want some soup - wish I had some in the freezer because I'm really not up to standing at the stove and making any.

I've lost 3 lbs over the last couple of days - but being sick is not really a method of weight-loss I'd recommend.

Have a good rest of the week.
  • Restfinder
    Cindy, I'm so sorry you aren't feeling well! Do you have a crock pot? Chicken, rice, a can of broth, and frozen veggies and you have a lovely soup in just a few hours. I like to make potato soup using the potato flakes and chicken broth, cheese, and canned chicken (don't drain). Takes about 10 minutes from start to finish! Hope that this passes quickly.

Connie, maybe Bill will surprise you and tomorrow be raring to go to the restaurant!

Praying for you ladies!
  • cmsienk
    edited July 2022
    Thanks, Kim. I'm feeling a little better today, so I just made some chicken soup with a bag of frozen carrots, celery, onion, a couple cartons of chicken bone broth, frozen rice and canned chicken. Added salt, pepper, thyme and chicken base and let it simmer. Didn't have to stand for very long while making it and I'm just about to have some for lunch.
  • Restfinder
    Sounds delicious!

I'm going to try and eat fairly lightly, yogurt, smoothies, applesauce. I need to try and get my tummy back on track.

I've seen these tests you can order from home and am thinking about doing the hormone one and the food sensitivity one just to get a new baseline since it's been five or six years since I've had either tested.

I hope that y'all are able to have a very good Friday.

• connierandel
    edited July 2022
    Cindy -I hope that you continue with your recovery.

Bill didn't want to get out for the luncheon on Thursday, but I sure didn't push since I am not crazy about the restaurant. Yesterday we had to go have his 6 month blood tests. I always worry about the tests on his kidneys.

I read something the other day about Alexa reading your kindles
    book for you. I actually pulled out an Echo that I had stored in a drawer and it worked great. It has a better voice, too. I then decided to download Alexa to my phone and it reads my kindle books so much better than text-to-voice on the android phones. This is a great way to not have to carry my tablet around when wanting to listen to a kindle book. I really don't like Alexa listening to me, but I do like the volume and the fact that it isn't using my battery power. I have my phone set for me to type my requests. I don't know if I will keep the Echo out or not. We will see, but this is a great option...especially for people that have regular kindle devices without speakers.
  • Restfinder
    Wow, I hadn't heard that. I may have to look into that, although when I listen I am usually in bed, so having my tablet there isn't a problem - but if the voice is better...

Gained another pound, but I am really swelled up today. I'm going to try and drink more liquids and see if that helps.

Hope Bill's numbers are good this time. I keep y'all in my prayers.
  • connierandel
    Aarg! I just got a birthday card/gift back that I sent to my Grandson's "significant other". I send one to both of them a week before her birthday (July 3) because they were leaving on a cruise on her birthday. Spencer's birthday was while they were on the cruise as well. I haven't gotten his back. I sent them to the address that his mom gave me, since they had just moved. What happened was that she didn't give me the apartment number.

Yesterday, Bill didn't do anything and just sat and was off in never-never land. He didn't even want to watch TV until I was going to bed last night. At least it was quiet. Today, he has had TV on all day (which is unusual, too). I don't like him just doing nothing, so TV is better than nothing.
  • Restfinder
    Wow, he got his and she didn't - thank you Postal Workers! I love our little post office. If someone sends something to our street address she puts it in our PO Box knowing we don't get mail at our house, just packages.

I ordered a few things during Prime Days. There weren't a lot of things that I wanted or needed. I did get another pair of jeans and a tunic top since the ones I have are getting too small or tight. My arms are getting bigger and quite a few of the tunics I had gotten about four or five years ago are too tight in the arms now. It's hard finding pants that fit on top and in my calves as well. I have to get the boot cut jeans for them to fit. I've gotten legging capris and they are so tight around my calf, even though they are stretch, I don't like to wear them. Bummer! Nothing I can do about it either. I have my compression wraps on this morning, so we will see if that helps with the swelling I am having. The heat doesn't help with that. I'm back up to 238 with all of this water retention.

I hope y'all have a wonderful day. Love ya
  • cmsienk
    I only ordered one thing from Amazon and not because of Prime Days. I just couldn't find what I wanted anywhere else. I've actually been actively avoiding buying from 'China central' these days.

I'm at my home airport - waiting to board my flight to Austin, TX. The temperatures are pretty extreme there right now - looks like between 102-104 for the highs through Tuesday. I guarantee I won't be spending much time outside.
  • connierandel
    edited July 2022
    My hubby has a lot of family in East TX and in Houston. I was talking to his sister today and she said that is was 104. Of course it was 100 here.

I did buy several items on Amazon during Prime, but didn't spend much at all. The priciest was a fire stick for my step-daughter for her birthday...and it was about $16. A few were grocery type items that fit our diets.
  • Restfinder
    edited July 2022
    I have noticed that about Amazon, a lot of their stuff comes directly from China. I try to avoid those products. I did recently purchase some bras that were specifically for older women, but I haven't found them to be as comfortable as I had hoped - sigh.

Here is a link to Christian Book and a list of Christian Biblical Fiction authors: https://christianbookfinds.com/blog/christian-biblical-fiction-authors

Here's another list that I found. I can't say they are all clean though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_fiction_authors

We've been having a lot of thunderstorms over the past week. I've had a few headaches because of those fronts coming through - sigh. I need to order some more Emgality! We've had a lot of heat and humidity as well. I've been spending a lot of time indoors.

I hope that y'all have a very good weekend!
  • cmsienk
    edited July 2022
    My youngest granddaughter (9 months old) went to the hospital last night after having a fever-induced seizure. It sounds like this is fairly common and she's doing better today. They want to keep her for another day and run more tests - possibly a spinal tap. I'm praying she won't have to have that though. Would appreciate your prayers for Carter.
  • connierandel
    Cindy - I know that this is hard, especially with you away. We are definitely praying!