Chat

Replies

• Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,551 Member
    I noticed a red area on Wade's leg - a chigger bite. I hadn't seen one since we moved here two years ago, but I do remember them being quite prevalent when we lived here in the 80s! Ugh!

Going out to lunch with friends today for Wade's birthday. Yeah - steak!
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,756 Member
    edited August 2023
    While I had some early blossom rot issues with my tomatoes... (I still don't have any ripe ones, but several are starting to turn orange), I have had success with my container cucumbers. Between the two plants, I picked four yesterday and two today.
    ojmvri7ayky9.jpg
  • connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,809 Member
    These garden veggies & fruits are making me jealous.
  • Restfinder
    Wow, those look delicious! I told Wade that I think I would rather grow the cucumbers next year than the zucchini. Cucumbers can just go from garden to tummy much more easily! We are pretty much just letting stuff die back right now. We only got some tiny potatoes in the five grow-bags and ended up throwing them away, they didn't look very good. We do have several watermelons that look good; and hopefully, the sweet potatoes will be alright. We just used potatoes and sweet potatoes that had grown eyes and slips so next year we are going to buy seed potatoes rather than the eating ones.

Another hot one - eek! Praise the Lord we had good rain over the weekend so I don't have to be out there watering my flowers! They are looking rather seedy right now too, so they are probably getting ready to be done blooming. If I got any hummingbirds at my hummingbird plant, I don't know. It was too hot to sit on the front porch and watch it! LOL! I hope they came and filled up though.

Praise the Lord, my headaches have backed down quite a bit. I'd asked for prayer last Sunday and God has been merciful.

You continue to be in my prayers!
  • cmsienk
    I'm really glad your headaches aren't so bad. Answered prayer there.

My cucumbers - 11 so far - have come from just 2 plants... one in a 12" pot and the other in that larger square planter I got for such a deal at that garage sale. If I do containers again next year, I might just do only the square container. Most of the cukes so far (9 of them) have come from the plant in that bigger planter.

Have a blessed afternoon.
  • connierandel
    edited August 2023
    I love zucchini...I definitely would grow them before cucumbers (none of my family eat cukes). I am the only one that likes zucchini as a veggie (or pasta), but it makes wonderful preserves and zucchini bread and cakes are always a favorite.

Mom also made strawberry....don't remember if she still used pineapple in it or something else.
    https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/zucchini-peach-jelly/
  • cmsienk
    edited August 2023
    I like cucumbers, but only cut up small on a salad. BUT - ALL of my grandkids like cucumber slices, like eating apple slices... so I've been enjoying sharing with them. My 2 year old grandson was so excited when I handed him a cucumber of his own to take home. 😊🤣
  • Restfinder
    How adorable. When my niece was just one year old her mom gave her a choice of a slice of tomato or french fries - she chose the tomato! Are you nuts kid! My niece is 40 years old this year! Oh my!

I haven't made zucchini bread since Mom died, and probably not for two years before she died. She liked to make chocolate zucchini bread. I used it in my muffins, but I haven't made those for a few years either and ended up throwing a bunch of juiced frozen zucchini away because I just couldn't use it. I used to make zucchini parmesan, frying the zucchini first then putting the spaghetti sauce and cheese on top then baking it. Lots of work - I couldn't stand up long enough to do it now!

Wade's pulled up most of the stuff in the garden. Even the onions didn't really grow, they just were about green onion size. We fertilized, even using fish juice (so stinky), but some stuff just didn't want to produce! I hope that we get one or two sweet potatoes. We watched YouTube videos and they told us how to get slips from store-bought potatoes, so that is what we did. If we get nothing then we'll get the slips next year from the nursery!

Have an awesome day, y'all.
  • Restfinder
    Happy Saturday, Everyone. Hope you have a wonderful day in Jesus!
  • connierandel
    I'm just heartbroken today. I lost a 63 year old cousin to a heart problem that started over last weekend. He was a really good guy, but unless he got his heart right with God during these last few days, he wasn't a Christian. We were raised in the same church, but he married an unbeliever and I don't think he ever looked back. Keep his mom and dad in prayer, for peace and that they can be witnesses to others in the family that need God.
  • Restfinder
    I'm so sorry, Connie. As you say, we don't know what happened in his last moments and that gives hope. Praying for you (as always) and for your cousin's parents.

We are working on the kitchen. We were able to get the countertops pre-made from Lowes for a lot less than ordering them and having them install them. They wanted $375 just to cut out the hole for the sink! Crazy! With us installing the countertops we are spending just over $400. We'll need a new backsplash too, but the peel-and-stick will be fine for us. We have the faucet, clearance item, and a sink picked out but we'll get it later this week. Can't wait for it all to be done. Doing the dishes in the laundry room sink hasn't been all that bad! LOL!

Still extremely hot here so staying in as much as possible. Will go to town for an eye appointment for Wade - this time they will be checking his vision so he can get glasses that will help with that computer length and reading length. It's strange seeing him without glasses most of the time now!

Hope you ladies do have a good day. Love you
  • Restfinder
    Hope y'all are doing well. Went and picked up our new sink from Lowes. Wade is getting ready to put it in! Woohoo. The first sink we got was too big. Our old countertops didn't have that little backsplash on the back of the countertop, so we lose about two inches of depth. We found another one we liked that was a bit smaller and it will fit nicely. We are going to get new pulls for the cupboard doors too. The ones that are on there, I think they've been there since the house was built in 1943! The black castle looking ones! LOL! I'm happy to have a home and cupboards to put my stuff in and I would have been happy with my old countertop! But my wonderful husband wanted to do more and we are able right now, so we are! LOL!

Have an awesome Tuesday. Love y'all.
  • Laura_TX
    Laura_TX Posts: 14 Member
    @connierandel I am so sorry to hear about your cousin!
  • Restfinder
    I hope you are doing alright, Connie. We miss you! Praying for you, Bill, and your Mom!

I get to start using my new sink today. The countertops look great too. Wade did all the work! What a wonder he is.

Praise the Lord, the weather has cooled down a bit for us. I think the high today will be around 84 - sure beats the upper 80s and 90s that we were having!

Have an awesome day y'all. Hope your weekend is restful with opportunities to worship the Lord.
  • connierandel
    We have had a huge long heat wave with Temps 100+ and felt like 115-120. It finally cooled off yesterday - so thankful!

We finally got to Dixon to see about my mom. Bill did really well, but I had to move a really heavy piece of furniture to get his wheelchair through. We made it though.
  • cmsienk
    edited August 2023
    Glad to see your post, Connie. (Sorry about you having to move heavy furniture though.)

It's definitely cooling off here. Last night the temp went down to 48 degrees. Fall is moving in quickly.

I think we'll be closing the pool soon, which is really a shame as we only used it maybe four times this summer. I'm ready to take it out permanently, but not sure what we'd do in that area when it's gone. We have a circular deck going around it, so I think that would have to be dismantled too. Ugh. It just feels like it will be so much work. I guess we can grow grass there, but for sure it would look like a huge crop circle.
  • Restfinder
    You could put a round spaceship in there - tell folks it got stuck trying to make a crop circle! Or, you could fill in the hole with more decking and have a super huge deck!

So good to see you, Connie. Wow, praise the Lord Bill did well on this trip. A friend of ours helped her mother and father-in-law move to assisted living, she had a couple of strokes; poor lady just didn't understand what was happening and got either teary or angry. Took a lot of patience to get her where she needs to be.

We saw a vanity on clearance at Lowes so our simple bathroom fix just got a wee bit harder. Wade will have to take out the built-in that's there and slide this in its place. It is the same size, so it should fit nicely. The sink that is in there right now has a very weird faucet that is super close to the back of the sink so you can hardly wash your hands in it - but it has a raised and sloped area in the back where the faucet goes so you can't just replace the faucet! The sink isn't a standard size so just replacing it would be very difficult too. Old houses - I love 'em, but changing something makes it difficult.

We are preparing for a hurricane/tropical storm to come through. It will probably be around 65 MPH winds so we will stay put and ride it out. We'll bring everything in that's on the porches and put important stuff up high just in case we get some high water, but when Florence blew through this house did get some water, but not nearly like the neighbor had. We are slightly higher than they are - made a big difference. Their house is now raised up, as most of the houses Down East are since Florence. Just got a high surf warning for our area! The rivers and waterways that we go over going into town were calm today, like glass! Love that!

Be well. I'm praying for y'all! Love you

• connierandel
    Kim, praying for you during the storm! Keep us updated.
  • cmsienk
    Stay safe. Praying for you from here as well.
  • Restfinder
    Good morning! Lots of rain, some wind. Praise the Lord we have puddles in our yard, but not flooded out. Across the street, he has water up to the drive in front of his house! Eek! His yard floods fairly often when there is a king tide or heavy sudden rain, but only one other time has it gone this high. Next door the yard is flooded too. We are slightly higher so we stay dryer! The gusts of wind knock out the power for a second or two, then it comes back on - praise the Lord for that! Still heavy rain and more gusts coming. I'm glad it's moving off land before it hits us, we are just getting the outer bands. God is good!

I saw this in my studying yesterday and it really spoke to my heart:
    Ps 63:7  Because You have been my help, Therefore in the shadow of Your wings I will rejoice. 
    Ps 63:8  My soul follows close behind You; Your right hand upholds me.
    He is my shelter in the storm. Like a mother hen hides her babies under her wing and she takes the brunt of the storm, so God does for me - but I have to follow close behind Him, I have to hide in the shelter of His hand!

Love y'all. Thank you so much for your prayers.