Chat

Replies

• cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,756 Member
    edited August 16
    Hello friends. Praying you're all doing well today. Kim, I'd like to send some of our rain your way. It cooled things off here by more than 10°. Connie, sounds like you're on top of things project-wise. Wish I could say the same here. Don't know if I mentioned it, but Dave is on a larger project which has him out of town 20 days at a time between July and November - 100 days total. And, of course, that's when things happen here. So far, there's a huge bald faced hornets' nest that needs to be taken care of and something else that I can't remember. Then this morning, an empty mouthwash bottle became jammed in our trash compactor when I was taking the trash out this morning. I think I may have a solution for the hornets' nest. I'll keep you posted.
    Carole, it sounds like you're enjoying your summer.

Me, I'm now dealing with plantar fasciitis with my right foot. Ugh.
    Edited to add pictures of the hornets' nest... but hiding it because who wants to stare at that? (Close up through the window from inside the sunroom.)
    4l84luc5r8qq.jpg
    60nlqkxemyl7.jpg
    qrkwyobqlue4.jpg
  • connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,809 Member
    Careful with that hornet's nest!

I had a lot of trouble with plantar fasciitis and had a huge heel spur caused by it. I wound up having to have a bone graft in the same foot and my surgeon just took care of the fasciitis at the same time as the graft. I was none weight bearing for 8 weeks, anyway so he took care of all of it.
  • Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,551 Member
    Oh dear! That nest is huge. I hate hornets, they are so unpredictable. Sorry about the plantar fasciitis. Wade's had that but I never have. He wore some kind of brace on it and did some stretching exercises the doctor suggested and it finally went away. We had a wasps nest under one of our ramps so Wade just sprayed a bunch of wasp killer under there and it seems to have done the job. We get wasps nests all the time, but they only have a couple of wasps in there at a time. I don't like those giant wood boring bees - I always seem to be walking right along their flight path!

Oh dear, our Pastor has a couple of trail camera in the woods behind our houses. We've had deer, racoon, opossum, squirrels, a coyote, a bob cat and a big bear. The bear showed up about 30 minutes after our Sunday evening service. Praise the Lord everyone had gone home. He's been around since we've been here and hasn't been any trouble, so praying he stays mellow! Wade will be walking me across the yard from now on!

Love y'all. Have a wonderful Jesus filled weekend!
  • pianolady831
    pianolady831 Posts: 265 Member
    It's been a busy week, sorry I haven't been around much. Beth is helping clean out Dwight's room, which has been pretty emotional. Then Drew had another eye surgery a few days ago. It's healing very well. I think its purpose was more to prevent painful problems than to improve his sight. The doctor will evaluate at his next appointment in September and continue with shots in his good eye. I must say that he's being very good about all this.

Another biggie has been my checking account and brokerage that handles Dwight's retirement investments. They can't just take his name off our joint account, but have to close everything and open a new account in my name. That's fine, but the process is taking longer than I'd like and my current joint checking is restricted - nothing in or out, in other words. At least I can temporarily think about more pleasant things because nothing happens on the weekend! Looking forward to church tomorrow. Hope all of you have a good weekend.
  • cmsienk
    edited August 19
    So I found someone who removes yellow jacket and wasp nests for free. It's a family business - started by the father 40 years ago and now three of his four sons and his daughter and her husband are all involved. Using some kind of vacuum system, they collect at night when the wasps are less active. They then sort out the females (who carry the venom) and send them to two different laboratories that make anti-venom for people who have allergic reactions. It's fascinating and I'm glad I found them. They wait until they have several hives in the area, then collect them all at once. I've texted with them twice... waiting to find out what day to expect them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV7dJlMUbKY&t=18s
  • Restfinder
    Oh wow, that's fascinating! Do they put the males back because they aren't venomous, or do they take them as well?!

Carole, so good to see you. I'm sorry you're having to face that difficult job, but am glad Beth is there with you!

I had an appointment with my doctor for September, a welcome to Medicare appt. I sent her a note about things I'm struggling with (overheating and stomach issues) and she is going to see me sooner. This week I get bloodwork done and then see her the week after. I was wanting to have my hormones checked since the last time I had them checked was about 10 years ago and they were way off then, and that was before I had my ovaries removed! It didn't sound like that would happen unless she deems it necessary after seeing me. I can get the test on-line, but it's very expensive, so I may just hope she has another answer for me - like my new med is causing all this havoc!

Well, you ladies have a good day. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Love you
  • cmsienk
    Kim, as far as I know they take them all. If my foot is up to it later this afternoon, I'm going to check under the pool deck for any other small beginner hives so the guys can take care of everything when they come out.
  • Restfinder
    edited August 19
    Oh my yes! You'd hate to leave something and have to have them come back! I hope that your foot gets better quickly!
  • Restfinder
    Going to have blood work done tomorrow morning and then my NP appointment next week. I hope I can get some answers as to why so many things are going wrong right now. I'm afraid they are side effects of my new headache meds, this has been going on for about as long as I've been taking it - but I don't want to go off of it because all those headaches will come back! And, I'll probably have brain zaps too! Please be praying that my NP will know how to help me. I keep asking the Lord for grace, for joy, and if it's His will, healing! Love y'all.
  • connierandel
    Carole - hopefully you can get everything worked out quickly. My mom didn't get any of my Dad's pension, but things went fairly easily for her. She had to have work done on all of their CDs (26 of them) so it took a while, but was done in a day. Went to the bank in the morning and they started on it, went back after lunch and she signed off on everything. There was a pretty good age gap between them, so they opted to not have the pension carry over because it would have been severely cut. Bill and I are 16 years apart and his little pension would have been cut in half if I was put on it...then I would only get half of that. It sure wouldn't have been worth it.
  • Restfinder
    I am so glad that Mom had worked everything out ahead of time. Other than trying to get the companies what they needed we had everything covered, but she had much of that written out for us as well. We are not that prepared!

Went to the doctor's to give blood today and will see the AGNP in a week. I saw that today on their sign and looked it up - she's an Adult Gerontology Nurse Practitioner. I guess she didn't like that I was overheating, having IBS-C issues and lots of pain. I have no idea what can be done for the pain since it's been a problem for at least 15 years - maybe the shots would work again! That would be awesome. I have a cousin-in-law who still gets the shots after a couple of decades - they don't work but she keeps getting them! I quit when they quit. It was so cool this morning, I was so happy when I walked outside to get into the car and that cool breeze washed over me - sooo nice!
  • Restfinder
    I am so glad that Mom had worked everything out ahead of time. Other than trying to get the companies what they needed we had everything covered, but she had much of that written out for us as well. We are not that prepared!

Went to the doctor's to give blood today and will see the AGNP in a week. I saw that today on their sign and looked it up - she's an Adult Gerontology Nurse Practitioner. I guess she didn't like that I was overheating, having IBS-C issues and lots of pain. I have no idea what can be done for the pain since it's been a problem for at least 15 years - maybe the shots would work again! That would be awesome. I have a cousin-in-law who still gets the shots after a couple of decades - they don't work but she keeps getting them! I quit when they quit. It was so cool this morning, I was so happy when I walked outside to get into the car and that cool breeze washed over me - sooo nice!
  • connierandel
    It was beautiful today!!! I love these days in the 70s. I could stand my hair no more. It was so long that I couldnt get it to do anything so I ran to a beauty shop down the street with a picture of what I wanted the back to look like. She nailed it!
  • Restfinder
    Woohoo. My neighbor cuts my hair and I need to give her a call!

Oh, I went outside and sat on the porch for the first time this summer - it was so beautiful and cool! I think yesterday was the first day I didn't feel like I needed the fan on me!

I go see the NP on Monday. I think this will be my Welcome to Medicare appointment rather than in Sept. My bloodwork looked good, all but three things in normal range. The ones out are ones I'm used to having out - they come and go from that normal range.

Have a great weekend, y'all.
  • cmsienk
    edited August 23
    Hi all. Still nursing this plantar fasciitis. I've found a couple of different massage techniques on YouTube and they seem to be helping. I was getting better - and then I had to work yesterday. Walked way more, dragging heavy equipment, than I should have, so I feel like I've taken two steps backward in the healing process. Trying to do a lot less today. Planning on going outside to sit (and stay seated!) on the deck with coffee, peanut butter toast an everything bagel with cream cheese and my latest read (which I finished).
  • Restfinder
    Love a bagel with cream cheese! Wade got some of those King's Hawaiian bagels - oh my! Praying this will get better quickly!

I found this post from way back in April. I put our Pastor's FB posts (and blog posts) on my computer just in case the government decides we can't put Christian things on there any more. This one jumped out at me because of what several of us have been going through the last several months:

04-05-24
    We cannot always determine what happens to us, but as Christians we can choose how we will respond to what happens to us.

This is because Christians are new creations, bought by Christ's sacrifice, born of God, indwelt by God's Spirit, taught by God's word, led by God's Spirit, conformed to the image of God's Son, partaker of Divine nature, delivered from the works of the flesh and producing the fruit of the Spirit (including self-control).

Not every conflict we face is a direct attack on us by Satan.
    Sometimes it is because of a general attack of Satan, but we are personally "caught" in the crossfire (such as, victim of war, disease, plague).
    Sometimes "bad things happen to 'good' people" for our good and/or God's glory.
    Sometimes God allows us to face troubles in order to perfect us, or correct us or to protect us.
    Sometimes we are victims of our own decisions.

We are sometimes caught, "off guard," but God is never surprised or unprepared.
    Not everything that happens to a Christian is good, but God works all things for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose.

In His sovereignty God gives man the power of the will, and through His grace God enables man to agree with, and accept the will of God.
    We cannot will reality into existence, but we can will to do God's will, by His power that works within us.
    Php 2:13-15 13 For it is God which works in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
    14 Do all things without murmurings and disputings:
    15 That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;

Hope y'all have a blessed Lord's Day tomorrow! Love you
  • pianolady831
    pianolady831 Posts: 265 Member
    Cindy - Do you know what caused the plantar fasciitis? I pray it will heal soon and that massage techniques will help.

Kim - That was a wonderful post from your pastor! How relevant for any time, but especially now. It's hard to believe the government might restrict Christian posts, but after all that's happened in the last 4 years, nothing should shock me.

Connie - I'm glad you and your Mom could work out financial stuff together. Dwight made good decisions when he retired, but I could never get him to talk about the what if's when one of us passed. He always laughed it off and said he'd live to be 90, that long life ran in his family. Well, it did - but he had a lot of health issues and only lived to be 80. I think I'm doing good with finances overall, though.

I played piano yesterday and will play for a seminary convocation service in the morning, the seminary where Beth works. This will be my third year to play since moving here. It's a moving service and a joy to play for. Hope all of you are having a good day.
  • cmsienk
    Carole, here is that I found online...
    udvmjqh6rr7g.jpg
    Since I didn't have a big weight gain, I'm thinking it's from overuse in the wrong shoes. I know from when I had this 8 years ago that wearing footwear that is too tight (narrow) over a long period of time can cause problems. I'm not sure, but I think it took 4 months for my foot to completely heal back then. I'm hoping it doesn't take that long this time as I started doing the things I know to do right away. (I think last time I suffered for a couple of months before I started getting any pain relief.)
  • Restfinder
    So good to "see" you Carole! I know Wade and I aren't anywhere near ready for either of us to pass. I have long-lived relatives on my Mom's side (mid-80's, my mom is 87). On my dad's side they have had shorter lives. Grandma died at 55 with a second bout of breast cancer; Grandpa died around 65 from colon cancer; Dad died when he was 74 from ALS. I really don't want to live that long, especially with all of the arthritis pain I have - but God has my days all figured out, I just have to be ready when He calls me home! We did see an attorney to figure out what we could do about our house since we don't have any children and no nieces or nephews we would want to leave it to, they aren't terribly responsible people. He gave us some ideas so we are working through those. The female side of Wade's family is long-lived, early 80's; but the male side has a lot of cancer (some from smoking). His brother had three kinds of cancer and died at around 55 from brain cancer; his other brother has had several skin cancers removed, but is still with us. Praise the Lord, Wade hasn't had any kind of skin cancer or other kind of cancer. He is very healthy!

Temps are up again and I am pretty sedentary staying in front of the fan. I saw the NP yesterday for my Welcome to Medicare appointment. There were tests she wants me to have that we couldn't do until I was 65. Next week I'll get the pneumonia vaccine; the bone density test and the mammogram have to be set up. I had osteo-pena when I had my last one done around 12-15 years ago. It's been five years since I've had a mammogram. In four months we'll talk about the arthritis and set up those tests. She said that the medicine I am taking for the headaches can cause hot flashes and not having anything in my body that produces estrogen, that is a factor as well - but she doesn't want me taking hormones at this age, so I will live with it! I should be able to handle winter better at least! LOL! My blood tests looked really good - praise the Lord!

Praying for y'all. Love you
  • cmsienk
    edited August 28
    Ugh. Bad storm here yesterday. One minute it was sunny and beautiful - the next it was dark and the wind was blowing like crazy. There are leaves and sticks down all over the yard. I really need to get out there and rake before the guys come to mow this afternoon, but my foot still hurts so much. 😭
    My power went out last night and still hasn't been restored. I'm thankful we have a whole house generator. That said, it didn't automatically start up last night. I was headed out to a township meeting because the state is trying to force us to let a Battery Storage System in our township and I didn't want to miss hearing the latest on that. So when I got home at 9pm last night, I added oil to the generator (what my daughter-in-law would call a 'boy job') and figured out how to get it to auto start again. Woo hoo - go me! That is definitely something Dave would have done if he was here. He gets home Friday night. I'm really looking forward to his arrival. Off to the yard - those sticks won't pick up themselves. Enjoy your day!